Beginner Venice- which lens ?

Name
Pamela
Edit My Images
No
Am going to Venice next week for four days. In a quandary of what lens to bring ideally one as bringing just a cabin sized suitcase. Torn between a Nikon 18-140mm ( my circular 10-stop fits this) or Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 great for those indoor shots of the ornate ceilings or 35mm prime ( fast and lightweight). Any thoughts anyone ?

Might just go with that thanks Raymond and stick one of them in my pocket [emoji106]

I would guess Jeff shoots FF, OP has a cropped body judging by the 11-16mm.
He mentioned on another forum that it was a 35mm equivalent lens on a full frame camera, but not the camera he used.
It was more to show what you can do with just one (semi wide angle) lens rather than taking a bag full of lenses.

Last edited:
I took my Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 (24-80mm FF eq) and didn’t need anything else. That being said when I go away it’s a holiday and not a photo shoot so it’s not about getting the perfect wide angle shot or something so YMMV.

I took a 24-120 on full frame (16-80 crop equivalent) and never felt the need for anything wider, even as an ultra wide fan.

He mentioned on another forum that it was a 35mm equivalent lens on a full frame camera, but not the camera he used.
It was more to show what you can do with just one (semi wide angle) lens rather than taking a bag full of lenses.

That's what I do anyway, all 35mm, can you guess where they are from? :p

My point is the OP doesn't really have a 35m equivalent lens, hence 11-16 and also the 35mm. He could take the 18-160 but I find that to be a terrible choice, it's slow, it's big and you end up with a bunch of photos "zoomed" in without context.

aztgzWi.jpg

8TixH77.jpg

OGVJQDB.jpg

m74V5Xw.jpg

szmItkN.jpg

JENdbiL.jpg

pJCzwlF.jpg

2CUlLwb.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I do anyway, all 35mm, can you guess where they are from? [emoji14]

My point is the OP doesn't really have a 35m equivalent lens, hence 11-16 and also the 35mm. He could take the 18-160 but I find that to be a terrible choice, it's slow, it's big and you end up with a bunch of photos "zoomed" in without context.

aztgzWi.jpg

8TixH77.jpg

OGVJQDB.jpg

m74V5Xw.jpg

szmItkN.jpg

JENdbiL.jpg

pJCzwlF.jpg

2CUlLwb.jpg
All 35mm lens impressive.
Looks like Germany the mountain shots maybe. Then Hong Kong skyscrapers maybe. The last ones no idea

Btw, if you want to see other kind of shots as opposed to city views.

it also works, I highly recommend doing this, it will improve your photography no end, learn to work inside a constraint of 1 focal length which in turn pushes yourself to think more about what is important to photograph, what you ought to photograph, what you can see but don't need to waste your energy on and work on your composition. That said, I am breaking my own rule for my next trip and taking the 85mm as well, just because I don't think I will be back to Japan in a hurry.

HGkbvC6.jpg

kBfl2HX.jpg

tFpDxoZ.jpg

cktsNwX.jpg

An4UKHJ.jpg

OLKbyD3.jpg

BhkB7zY.jpg

Ii5p5Do.jpg

FWIW as a Canon user.

Prior to last trip I used a 24-105 on my crop 7D but on the most recent/last I hired a 10-22 and took my 24-105 as needed.

The 10-22 never left the body........using uwa was a revelation and gave me such great perspectives.

I now use a 5D3 full frame and should I go again or indeed any city break I would hire a 16-35mm

Enjoy the trip it is a wonderful city :)

That's what I do anyway, all 35mm, can you guess where they are from? :p

aztgzWi.jpg

8TixH77.jpg

OGVJQDB.jpg

m74V5Xw.jpg

szmItkN.jpg

JENdbiL.jpg

pJCzwlF.jpg

2CUlLwb.jpg
Stunning pics and locations.

Just whatever your walkabout lens is, out of the choices your 11-16 and 35mm.
You won't need length much, it all can be quite close. I shot just about everything on my 24-105 on my 5D

look for the different stuff

160038157.jpg

145586710.jpg

Just whatever your walkabout lens is, out of the choices your 11-16 and 35mm.
You won't need length much, it all can be quite close. I shot just about everything on my 24-105 on my 5D

look for the different stuff

160038157.jpg

145586710.jpg

Your lens is equivalent to 18-70mm on my cropped sensor camera. So I might have to do more walking to zoom. Hope I can get shots like your lovely ones [emoji854]

Am going to Venice next week for four days. In a quandary of what lens to bring ideally one as bringing just a cabin sized suitcase. Torn between a Nikon 18-140mm ( my circular 10-stop fits this) or Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 great for those indoor shots of the ornate ceilings or 35mm prime ( fast and lightweight). Any thoughts anyone ?

I take a quality camera with a nice prime and a compact for the wider or longer shots and for when the quality camera may be a bit too intrusive or attention grabbing. I have a Sony A7 and 35mm f2.8 which does the "good camera" thing and a 1" compact that even in low light gives whole pictures that are easily good enough for on screen viewing and normal to largish prints. Unless it's a photography outing rather than a day out or holiday I wouldn't complicate things further.

Your lens is equivalent to 18-70mm on my cropped sensor camera. So I might have to do more walking to zoom. Hope I can get shots like your lovely ones [emoji854]

I'm working from home today so fired up my lightroom. 90% of my images taken on my last trip to Venice last year were below 50mm on my 24-105...

Anytime I've been abroad I found I wanted wide over tele for the most part. I think no matter the locale, you can get by without anything long, but you will really wish you had as wide a lens as possible. I would take the 11-16 and the 35. The 35 will take up no room at all.

I'm working from home today so fired up my lightroom. 90% of my images taken on my last trip to Venice last year were below 50mm on my 24-105...
Okay thanks for that Byker28i. My mind is made up now [emoji4]. 35mm attached to camera and if I have any spare room in suitcase or pocket I will pack a cheeky Tokina 11-16mm

Take the 35mm f/1.8. It's optically excellent, light, and great for interiors. Don't worry about wide-angle lenses "to get it all in". I holidayed this year in Nice with just a fast 35mm on a crop sensor camera, and never regretted it for a moment.

Nikon 18-140mm ( my circular 10-stop fits this) or Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

Personally, I'd take both of these if space could be made available to accommodate them. IMO a prime would be too restrictive, especially in a city where footzooming could be a challenge!

Venice is mostly very narrow streets - more alleys really. Then wide views across the Grand Canal, St. Mark's Square.
I wouldn't bother with a tripod unless you're prepared to hunt around for quiet places in the evening to do something slow. It's rammed everywhere from dawn to dusk.

Looking at my shots I mostly stuck at 28mm or 84mm Full Frame equivalent on my Micro 4/3rds camera. I had my 80-300mm equivalent but it looks like it never made it out of the bag.
We went there a couple of years ago - it's stunning but viciously expensive too.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/albums/72157649213756762/with/15760258863/

I've found the 16-85mm range (on a Nikon crop) the most useful range, and mostly at the wide end. A tripod's a good idea if you get up early / go out late. Generally for day time, unless I was doing deliberate long exposures with a ND filter, I didn't use a tripod.

I would agree with the comments above about Venice being rammed during the day, especially at the popular spots. I was there two weeks ago and mainly used my wide-angle zoom and the wide end of my mid-range zoom. The long lens only went on a couple of times, and I probably wouldn't have missed it if I'd left it at home. It's a great place with lots to see, and you will probably get the most use out of your 35mm and the WA zoom. Have fun :)

I would agree with the comments above about Venice being rammed during the day, especially at the popular spots. I was there two weeks ago and mainly used my wide-angle zoom and the wide end of my mid-range zoom. The long lens only went on a couple of times, and I probably wouldn't have missed it if I'd left it at home. It's a great place with lots to see, and you will probably get the most use out of your 35mm and the WA zoom. Have fun :)
Thanks for that Manxmaid and I shall ! Yes I think I will have the 35mm for the majority and 11-16mm wide angle even though not much of a zoom range on the Tokina.

Venice is mostly very narrow streets - more alleys really. Then wide views across the Grand Canal, St. Mark's Square.
I wouldn't bother with a tripod unless you're prepared to hunt around for quiet places in the evening to do something slow. It's rammed everywhere from dawn to dusk.

Looking at my shots I mostly stuck at 28mm or 84mm Full Frame equivalent on my Micro 4/3rds camera. I had my 80-300mm equivalent but it looks like it never made it out of the bag.
We went there a couple of years ago - it's stunning but viciously expensive too.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/albums/72157649213756762/with/15760258863/
Thanks AMcUK for sharing your nice collection of shots I know what kind of thing to expect now. Nice street sellers food and marzipan stalls. And i have been warned by lots of people about it being fiercely pricey a bit like the Montmartre region of Paris.

I've JUST got back from Italy (and Venice!) and took my 35mm, Tokina 11-16mm and my 18-200 Tamron. I tended to use my Tokina at places like St Marks Sq then my Tamron a lot of the time. Only because there were times when you'd be on a bridge and want to get a shot of something a bit further away and then you'd stumble upon another bridge and want to shoot something closer so I found it a challenge. I was changing up between all 3 (much to the wifes amusement) a lot of the time but it was the first real time I actually took my 35mm anywhere so I was trying to get used to using it at the same time!

I've found the 16-85mm range (on a Nikon crop) the most useful range, and mostly at the wide end. A tripod's a good idea if you get up early / go out late. Generally for day time, unless I was doing deliberate long exposures with a ND filter, I didn't use a tripod.
Thanks a lot Redhead17. I will bring tripod if room in someone else's case

Personally, I'd take both of these if space could be made available to accommodate them. IMO a prime would be too restrictive, especially in a city where footzooming could be a challenge!
Thanks Nod. Ties in with what focal length Stu Meech used in Venice

Back