Vicar's Close, Wells.

I think the people add something Gramps so I hope you're not too disappointed that they're there. Well taken :D

I think the people add something Gramps so I hope you're not too disappointed that they're there. Well taken :D
Thanks Alan, they don't bother me in the mono conversion but coloured jumpers etc don't add to other photos. :)

It's a bit like Bath....... Best visited early on a Sunday morning ;)

Nice shots. I want to get back here for some drone footage soon.

Actually, I was going to go here Monday but my boy wanted photos in Bath for his A level course he's just started.

It's a bit like Bath....... Best visited early on a Sunday morning ;)

Nice shots. I want to get back here for some drone footage soon.

Actually, I was going to go here Monday but my boy wanted photos in Bath for his A level course he's just started.

Drone footage sounds interesting, what are the implications of using a drone in such an area (I am totally ignorant of drone use).
Nice to have your lad interested in photography too. :)

Drone footage sounds interesting, what are the implications of using a drone in such an area (I am totally ignorant of drone use).
Nice to have your lad interested in photography too. :)

No drone restrictions whatsoever for the DJI Mini 2 It's only things like obviously airports and a surrounding area, flying over prisons, Military areas, I'd imagine places like Buckingham Palace etc that you can't fly.

Yes, he actually started off doing Milky Way night skies! But he's picked it as a 'hobby' A level - I don't think he wants to be a professional photographer.

Love the colour version Gramps. Great sky. Never been able to capture that scene without people.

Lovely set, love the B&W (y)
Thanks Gav, I thought it suited it and helped make the people less prominent. :)
Love the colour version Gramps. Great sky. Never been able to capture that scene without people.
It was a real struggle to get no people, no cars, a decent sky and reasonable light.
The number of times I thought, "right any minute now" and someone appeared was quite frustrating but understandable on market day. :)

I like the distant people in the B&W, I think they add to it without removing your attention from the overall scene.
The clouds in the colour one are superb, something I really struggle to get right.

That first shot is very special, love it

I like the distant people in the B&W, I think they add to it without removing your attention from the overall scene.
The clouds in the colour one are superb, something I really struggle to get right.

Thank you both, I was pleased with the colour version, especially having waited so long for the chance. :)
Without the mono conversion the people would have been very distracting but the more I come back to it the more I think they add.

I like the colour one, but the people ruin the second one for me. :(

You could always eliminate the people by taking a long exposure with an ND filter - the downside is you'd need to take a tripod or something to sit the camera on.

You could always eliminate the people by taking a long exposure with an ND filter - the downside is you'd need to take a tripod or something to sit the camera on.
Yes I've used a ND filter in the past but in all honestly couldn't be bothered for this type of shot ... I'm in my 'go light' phase. :LOL:

Reactions: Sky

You can but several downsides

1. if it is quite busy you end up with a smeary mess of people/movement
2. You really need a very long exposure, upwards of 10secs to effectively ghost a person out, and that assumes they move briskly without stopping - otherwise, see point 1.
3. What else moves during exposure, you want it to be still.

Timing it this way is the rolls royce solution

I love the B&W..... what a pity the clouds weren't similar to when you got the colour shot....

I love the B&W..... what a pity the clouds weren't similar to when you got the colour shot....
Thanks Derek, yes the clouds in the colour shot were are rare feature during the day, mostly just bright sunlight.

Back