Beginner Video editing software for Linux (Ubuntu), preferably free?

Name
Richard Allen
Edit My Images
No
Above.

Now that I have the Sony DSC-W800 working (just needs a memory card), I plan to do some photography and filming this year, at comic cons and stuff, however my PC runs Linux (Ubuntu), and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good, preferably free but reliable video editing apps I can use?

Hi
If your in the UK

I see it records video in NTSC which is the american standard, in the UK it is PAL. Don't know if this will cause further problems more a case of try and see. You might find horizonal lines across the screen. So best to see if that happens first before thinking about editing.
With doing videos I always check first to make sure the camera/camcorder records in PAL as I am in the UK

Last edited:
Hi
If your in the UK

I see it records video in NTSC which is the american standard, in the UK it is PAL. Don't know if this will cause further problems more a case of try and see. You might find horizonal lines across the screen.
1) Your equals you're :D
2) Yes I am in the UK.

The NTSC\PAL thing is irrelevant these days as they were standards that were designed for the broadcasting of analogue TV signals
These days almost all videos are viewed digitally on devices such as computers, mobile 'phones & digital TV

NTSC might be a slight issue with mains lighting which could flicker - in some cases the effect is quite extreme but it doesn't always happen.
A lot of people record at 30fps here anyway as it is that bit smoother than our 25fps.
You can also slow it down slightly e.g. to 24fps at processing which just helps with any little jitters wen recording.

I soon found a list of editing software here
I've used Shotcut and Lightworks on Windows they are quite basic but do the job
You could even try DaVinci resolve by the look of it that is far -more complicated but doing a simple edit and render is not that difficult - lots of guides online.
I'd try Shotcut first maybe.

I use Avidemux, Shotcut and Blender.
Avidemux for cutting my recordings into useful snippets and then Shotcut for joining it all together and adding a soundtrack. Blender is for anything that the other two won't do easily.

FWIW re: settings NTSC - PAL

Both available but the page gives a heads up to make sure you format the memory after changing from one video system to the other.

Winxdvd It's FREE for the next two days

Reactions: RIR
Da Vinci Resolve is probably the (almost) obvious answer, as it's free and well known.
Though as you mention Ubuntu, you will need to hack it to install it.
Seems to do it for you (though I don't know - I've not tried).

I see you're planning to do comic con photography (and I saw in another post you're a cosplayer).
Which Conventions? If it's one of the many I'm at pop by and say hi.
You'll be aware that the lighting is normally far from good and given you don't have a hot-shoe on the compact to allow you to use other lighting, you're going to have to lean on the ISO a fair bit.

Da Vinci Resolve is probably the (almost) obvious answer, as it's free and well known.
Though as you mention Ubuntu, you will need to hack it to install it.
Seems to do it for you (though I don't know - I've not tried).

I see you're planning to do comic con photography (and I saw in another post you're a cosplayer).
Which Conventions? If it's one of the many I'm at pop by and say hi.
You'll be aware that the lighting is normally far from good and given you don't have a hot-shoe on the compact to allow you to use other lighting, you're going to have to lean on the ISO a fair bit.
Doncaster in February possibly, then the local one in March, and any others that pop up, transport permitting I'd like to go to Liverpool in May.

Apparently my PC isn't powerful enough to run DaVinci Resolve, needs the equivalent of a gaming PC.

Anyone know of a good free video editing app for Ubuntu?

Apparently my PC isn't powerful enough to run DaVinci Resolve, needs the equivalent of a gaming PC.

Anyone know of a good free video editing app for Ubuntu?
Avidemux http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/download.html

Shotcut https://shotcut.org/download/
or
Blender is also available for Linux. It is probably more difficult to learn, but it also does an awful lot more.

I use Avidemux for cutting up my videofiles into useable bits.
I then assemble them and add the sound in Shotcut
Compositing and fancy stuff I do in Blender.

Avidemux is quite lean and will probably put the least strain on your PC.

Back