Video on Slr's..is it really needed

No you can't. A dslr does two things, shoots stills and videos, a smartphone can do hundreds, if not thousands of things!

You can't say a dslr can "do it all"?

There's no way you can compare the two in anything other than its camera function.

A smart phone started off as just a phone, then they added text messaging, then email, then internet, then ............ How many people use their phone to actually dial a number and speak to somebody these days?

Please tell me what the difference is. Electronic devices will evolve. Get over it.
If you don't want to use the video function then don't.

Personally, as somebody who doesn't shoot video myself finds it quite handy to have the function on my camera for the odd occasion that I do want to film a quick clip. I would never go any buy a camcorder for just in case.

A smart phone started off as just a phone, then they added text messaging, then email, then internet, then ............ How many people use their phone to actually dial a number and speak to somebody these days?

Please tell me what the difference is. Electronic devices will evolve. Get over it.
If you don't want to use the video function then don't.

Personally, as somebody who doesn't shoot video myself finds it quite handy to have the function on my camera for the odd occasion that I do want to film a quick clip. I would never go any buy a camcorder for just in case.
You need me to tell you the difference between the two? I really don't know if you're badly missing my point or not? Get over what?

Unless my DSLRs (or compacts) are badly out of date? As none of mine have a calculator, compass, email facility, social media apps, weather prediction, spell checker, ISS tracker, news service, TV guide, wallet, voice recorder, TV, movie player, games machine, currency converter, web browser, I could go on...

Do you really think you can compare them as multi function devices?

My cameras still only have two functions, both involve catching light on a recording surface.

Last edited:
You need me to tell you the difference between the two? I really don't know if you're badly missing my point or not? Get over what?

Unless my DSLRs (or compacts) are badly out of date? As none of mine have a calculator, compass, email facility, social media apps, weather prediction, spell checker, ISS tracker, news service, TV guide, wallet, voice recorder, TV, movie player, games machine, currency converter, web browser, I could go on...

Do you really think you can compare them as multi function devices?

My cameras still only have two functions, both involve catching light on a recording surface.

Whatever, I have better things to do than argue the toss with you.

Whatever, I have better things to do than argue the toss with you.
I'm not arguing the toss, I'm just stating a fact.

It's a discussion forum after all.

Last edited:
As none of mine have a calculator, compass, email facility, social media apps, weather prediction, spell checker, ISS tracker, news service, TV guide, wallet, voice recorder, TV, movie player, games machine, currency converter, web browser, I could go on...

Its probably only a matter of time at theconsumer end of the market ;) :LOL:

Joking aside there are already a couple of phones that are more like a compact camera with phone functionality than the other way arround

It's more than good enough for crummy HD broadcast. If they're good enough for cinema screens it's ok for the lounge :)

Nope. They're explicitly banned for HD productions in the UK by the Digital Production Partnership (BBC, ITV, Ch4, Sky + a few more) due to their problems with aliasing.

To quote the full text on DSLRs for broadcast:

DSLR cameras are acceptable for timelapse sequences and stop frame animation but are currently not suitable for use as video cameras.
Exceptions can be made for covert shoots or dangerous locations at the discretion of the broadcaster. The broadcaster must agree to the use of DSLR cameras in advance of any shooting.

Their emphasis.

Let's try to debunk this.

When camera manufacturers added live view (required because idiots believe you have to hold a camera at arms length), they realised they'd had to invent everything required to record moving images. All they needed to add was the software to record and control it.

Then some movie makers started buying DSLRs because they could record video that looked lots better than cheap camcorders, of course as above, it's far from perfect, but it does look great for a lot less money than pro video kit. That's pushed the manufacturers to promote and refine features for video.

I'm not sure that's true, I've read and seen in documentaries more than once that Canikon developed video in response to requests from the media. Not an accident or a development from live view but a specific request from potential customers.

Last edited:
To quote the full text on DSLRs for broadcast:

DSLR cameras are acceptable for timelapse sequences and stop frame animation but are currently not suitable for use as video cameras.
Exceptions can be made for covert shoots or dangerous locations at the discretion of the broadcaster. The broadcaster must agree to the use of DSLR cameras in advance of any shooting.

Their emphasis.
Interesting, especially as they're deemed suitable as source material for productions made for IMAX, amongst other formats!

DSLRs were used for cheapness - but they don't even count as HD for most major broadcasters. If they were re-doing that shot today, I'd expect an Alexa Mini to be there.

Go Pros are OK for what they are.

Nope. They're explicitly banned for HD productions in the UK by the Digital Production Partnership (BBC, ITV, Ch4, Sky + a few more) due to their problems with aliasing.

Sorry been away.

Thats not strictly true, it's more to do with they don't currently with the standards the DPP have laid down for digital video and there's a bigger worldwide market using them. The EOS-1D C has been approved by the European Broadcasting Union for high definition broadcast use. DSLR's are used in broadcast such as QVC (Canon 5D mk3) , London Live (Nikon) , Wirecast, to name but a few use them extensively, however they are mostly (and heavily) used in 'film'.

Back