Video support options

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I'm very new to video and just trying to get the basics sorted. Primarily, I am thinking about real estate / walk through use to begin with, maybe some other work later on. Presume 5D with larger lenses at least for the beginning (mainly 5D3 ML RAW + 16-35mm f/4L IS), and camera needs to be at around 1m height. I'm 1.80.

I already own Manfrotto MVM500A monopod. Is it still worth keeping? At least for houses the monopod moves too much in directions I really don't want. I quite like the head the comes with it, but it doesn't have horizontal rotation feature itself (it's in the leg bottom!). Is there any horizontal rotation tripod adapter I can buy, preferably with the levelling bowl? Or else what tripod / head would I be looking at? I'm not looking to spend £1000s while cameras are in need of upgrade.

The the gimbal question. I'm lost if I want any of the DJI M, S or SC, Movi or even the other chinese ones? Is gimbal alone enough?

I use a Crane 2 gimbal with a blackmagic pocket 4K for this kind of thing.

I put the camera on the gimbal which has joystick panning and tilting controls and do the various walking around shots. I then fix the gimbal to the tripod with a quick release plate and do all my pans and tilts with the gimbals joystick control, while the gimbal fixed to the tripod. I have found I can get very smooth and consistent pans/tilts using this method and all the levelling is done automatically by the gimbal. You do need a sturdy tripod though as there will be quiet a bit of weight on the top. I use a gitzo 3 section carbon tripod because it's very quick to set up and rigid but you can easily move it around with one hand.

I have found a lens of about 18mm full frame equivalent works best for the majority of the shots. I don't know anything about ML RAW but I have found the Blackmagic RAW to be excellent.

Thanks for the thoughts. I think Crane 2 will be a little out of budget and perhaps a tiny bit dated by now but they have a new product Weebill S which looks interesting to me, and Crane 3S which is a real overkill.
I could get the wee bill from https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zhiyun-W...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l9372 which is presumably as advertised from UK address... Warranty may be a bit dodgy if something goes wrong.

I guess there is zero need for the monopod with one of these on the shelf?

I can't really comment about the different cameras for video; 5D3 with ML RAW hack is simply the best available to me right now. A quick test outdoors showed I can get a decent amount of shadows and highlights pulled back compared to the direct compressed video output, and its gazillion times sharper too. You can get the idea from a few videos on vimeo. And luckily it doesn't really need autofocus at 16mm. When I get my next one(s) it will be likely something from the EOS R range or perhaps Sony A7RIV.

Back