B&W View along the road to the coast, Isle of Skye

Name
Rowan
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,
Although I don't normally shoot landscapes, it would be sacrilege not to in a place like Skye! Here's one of my favourites; as usual it would be great to hear your thoughts and critique.
Thanks!
23384577063_afe063f707_b.jpg

Last edited:
Here's one of my favourites…

I like that very much!
…this line appearing in the dark of night and leading into daybreak…
very clever visual story telling!

Very nice shot, initially I thought it was too dark at the bottom, but, having looked at it for longer, yes, I think I agree with Kodiak about the line leading from dark to light. Great moody sky as well :)

I would crop it to square losing a lot off the bottom.

A lot of people equate huge swages of black/darkness in an image with moodiness. I personally don't. I think it's present crop makes it just look dark and depressing.

Losing a lot off the bottom won't deprive it of any atmosphere but make it look better balanced and less oppressive.

This loaded up on the app for me cropped into a square. I think it is a stronger image with most of that negative space removed. The remaining square crop would have an amount of negative space more in proportion with the rest of the image. Absolutely lovely shot regardless.

I like that very much!
…this line appearing in the dark of night and leading into daybreak…
very clever visual story telling!

Thanks! I have to admit I wasn't considering visual storytelling when I took the shot but I can definitely see it looking at the photo now.

Very nice shot, initially I thought it was too dark at the bottom, but, having looked at it for longer, yes, I think I agree with Kodiak about the line leading from dark to light. Great moody sky as well :)

Excellent!

Great image

Thanks for the feedback!

No crit from me.

Really appeals to me. Mainly for the lower line: could be a road or a wall.

Yup, works for me.

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback, that was definitely my intention when processing the shot, to add an element of ambiguity to the road barrier and give it a more graphic look.

I would crop it to square losing a lot off the bottom.

A lot of people equate huge swages of black/darkness in an image with moodiness. I personally don't. I think it's present crop makes it just look dark and depressing.

Losing a lot off the bottom won't deprive it of any atmosphere but make it look better balanced and less oppressive.

This loaded up on the app for me cropped into a square. I think it is a stronger image with most of that negative space removed. The remaining square crop would have an amount of negative space more in proportion with the rest of the image. Absolutely lovely shot regardless.

A great atmospheric image indeed, also like the square crop.

Thanks for the feedback! I did actually experiment with square crops, this crop being the best I found:

23486153534_857f2c8576_b.jpg

I definitely agree that there is a large amount of dead space in the original (making it a very somber image as ST4 said) and that cropping amends this, but it does so at the expense of either the meandering curve of the road barrier or the sky above (or some of both.) To get both the complete curve and the sky/cliffs it leads to, you have to have the dead space too. It definitely is a shame that there weren't any other features to complement the curve and break up the darkness in the bottom right.

Last edited:
Very nice image mate

Back