Views from the Glyderau plateau

Edit My Images
No
From a couple of wilds camp earlier this year.

IMG_9949.jpg

IMG_9696.jpg

Tryfan from Bristly ridge pre-dawn light
IMG_9873_pp_3.jpg

IMG_9511.jpg

misty_sunset.jpg

y_gribin_pano_pp.jpg

Last edited:
Love your work on every level. You are one of the main inspirations for me, and I always have your shots in the back of my head before a trip. I just love the feel I get from looking at them, you do scenery very well indeed :)

Gary.

Love your work on every level. You are one of the main inspirations for me, and I always have your shots in the back of my head before a trip. I just love the feel I get from looking at them, you do scenery very well indeed :)

Gary.

Wow...I don't know what to say....you are very kind Gary...no wonder your so liked on here :)

very impressive images with stunning light. I have been over the glyders 3 times now but never seen them look at beautiful as they do in your shots well done.

p.s where is a good place to wild camp round there? :)

You deserve to be told - your work is perfect!!

Gary.

You are very kind my friend....I admire your work too....so much potential and passion. I look forward to seeing where you go with your photography and the directions you choose to best show your artistic vision.

very impressive images with stunning light. I have been over the glyders 3 times now but never seen them look at beautiful as they do in your shots well done.

p.s where is a good place to wild camp round there? :)

Thanks very much :)

I have only wild camped a couple of time on the glyders as shown below:

Glyders_wcamps.jpg

Number 1 was great and sheltered from the winds but the quickest way to to gain the summit plateau was via the gribin ridge which is a grade 1 scramble. While good fun I would be concerned decending this in darkness back to the tent.

Number 2 was easy access to the summits but it seemed like a wind trap because of the gap between the 2 mountains. I was kept awake all night by howling winds threatening to take my tent down.

I do have other locations marked out for future wild camps and will see how they go. Sometimes they are wonderful and othertimes they can be uncomfortable leading to no sleep at all.

I have never seen Y Glyderau look so stunning. Beautiful shots from one of my favourite haunts. I really must make the effort to be up there very early or very late!

Thanks for taking the time to mark the locations on the map. I have added u as a contact on flickr so I keep up to date with u wonderful photos
thanks
Huss

Stunning set and for me number 1 is my fav. Hope you don't mind but have added you to my flickr as would like to keep up to date on your images.

Hi Sie,

Not seen you posting on here for a while, maybe I just missed it?

Cracking set of shots as always, rather you than me camping up there..although the advantage is you get to catch such fantastic lighting

Simon

Stunning shots as usual Sie, you are an inspiration to more than just Gary.

Thanks very much guys.....comments are very welcome indeed :)

I have been going through a patch of very little photographic activity as of late. Maybe it's the heat but I can't find the motivation to go out and shoot at all.

I have also been going through the old "am I any good or am I wasteing my time" phase that I think most toggers go through. I look though my images and although I have achieved the exposure and colours I wanted I feel they have nothing to say. Does a landscape shot have to have something to say or is it enough that the photographer just wanted to show something of beauty?

I have questioned wether forums are a good thing to an experianced togger who is no longer in the beginner phase for a while now for various reasons. I went through a period of not posting too anything for a while. I am glad I started again as I think I was wrong. Yes there are some bad points about photography forums but for me now I think balance is outweighed by the importance of showing your work and especially showing your work to other toggers. The comments made over my last few posts have given me a needed pat on the back and the confidence I needed to go back out there and carry on shooting and trying to improve and for that I have you guys to thank :)

So once again thanks guys :D

Sie, I can only repeat what has been said over and over - you are truly skilled and an inspiration. Your photos also prove that a lot of hard work goes into making great shots.

Sie,

You're capable of great pictures when the conditions are right.

I'm applying very high standards here but it's a bit of a shame it was such a hazy night....

I'm going through the same dilemmas about posing pics here. I did so for the first time recently but the feedback was -well, you know what they say about faint praise.....

And yet some people can post pics and everyone goes wild about them. I'm a bit puzzled.

Sie,

I'm applying very high standards here but it's a bit of a shame it was such a hazy night....

I'm going through the same dilemmas about posing pics here. I did so for the first time recently but the feedback was -well, you know what they say about faint praise.....

And yet some people can post pics and everyone goes wild about them. I'm a bit puzzled.

Nice to know you hold the feedback received in such high regard ;) I have only seen two of your "feedback" threads before, one of which I replied to, and another (the follow up) which I have only just seen. I can promise you, my praise was genuine and was not intended to actually criticise you in any way at all. Faint Praise is a pretty nasty thing to offer someone in my opinion.

With regards to your second point, people posting pics and everyone going wild - well explore the reasons for it. You are either A: taking lots of lovely photos, and people are genuinly extremely happy with the quality...or B: Everyone loves to pile praise even when not deserved. I would like ot think it's more of A, and much less of B. But perhaps its both? Between my two skye sets, I managed about 8 pages of replies. A lot of it me, saying thanks, or replying to questions or whatnot. I would like to think people *liked* the photos, but maybe not. I have had several threads with only 2 or 3 replies, all of them negative.

The one thing I will say that stands out from THIS post and your own, is A: the light captured. Here it is flawless, and I feel in yours, a few are let down by lack of amazing light. Secondly, the thanks offered here for said feedback. It goes a long way.

This is not a dig, but there is a reason for everything - lack of feedback included.

Gary.

Amazing photos Sie. Your work really is inspiring - I must get out and about again as soon as my knees are on the mend. It's soul-destroying not to be able to get to the places I love.
Do you mind me asking how often you go to these places and find the light/weather is totally against you? Every time I've been up Snowdon I have not been able to see more than a few feet ahead of me!

You deserve to be told - your work is perfect!!

Gary.

I wouldn't dream of putting such weight on your shoulders but the first and last do make it tempting. ;)

Nice to know you hold the feedback received in such high regard ;) I have only seen two of your "feedback" threads before, one of which I replied to, and another (the follow up) which I have only just seen. I can promise you, my praise was genuine and was not intended to actually criticise you in any way at all. Faint Praise is a pretty nasty thing to offer someone in my opinion.

With regards to your second point, people posting pics and everyone going wild - well explore the reasons for it. You are either A: taking lots of lovely photos, and people are genuinly extremely happy with the quality...or B: Everyone loves to pile praise even when not deserved. I would like ot think it's more of A, and much less of B. But perhaps its both? Between my two skye sets, I managed about 8 pages of replies. A lot of it me, saying thanks, or replying to questions or whatnot. I would like to think people *liked* the photos, but maybe not. I have had several threads with only 2 or 3 replies, all of them negative.

The one thing I will say that stands out from THIS post and your own, is A: the light captured. Here it is flawless, and I feel in yours, a few are let down by lack of amazing light. Secondly, the thanks offered here for said feedback. It goes a long way.

This is not a dig, but there is a reason for everything - lack of feedback included.

Gary.

I suppose this should be in the thread about my own pics, but your reply has
only confirmed for me how subjective all this stuff is. Quality of light - well, I know what amazing light means for me, so photographers can't even agree on that! Personally I'm not a big fan of sunsets or even "golden hour" light.

I know what you're saying, between the lines, and of course, I've considered that, and will continue to do so. And I saw your response, so thanks for taking the effort.

I like Sie's pics on here, especially the first one, but in my opinion he's posted better. The hazy conditions don't quite do the subject matter justice in this case.

Sie,

Sorry Jerry but I have just looked at your recent thread you are on about and I personally find your pictures just average. I comment when I have time but the pics have to stand out as if I would like that picture on my wall.
I am not good enough to give much criticism so choose not to. I will always give credit where its due.
I think you have taken it to heart that you have minimal feedback. Dont forget things like time of posting and how busy TP is at that time etc can obviously effect feedback.

Sorry Sie for slight highjack..!! Excellent set. My favs are #1,3 & 5
I am a sucker for these type of pics and the haze just adds to it IMO

(y) :clap: (y)

just fantastic, must have been up there a couple of dozen times but never been up there that early in a morning. these shots remind me of pics from Colin Prior great light and good captur.

#1 + #5 for me

texture in the snow on one is fantastic! must of been cold :)

drew

Once again some very very kind and complimentory words to which I can only say thanks again for :D

Sie,

Thanks.

I am afraid I am going to bow out of the debate here. I already have a reputation on here for saying my piece and then droning on and on about it so this time I am going to keep a low profile ;)

I do however want to share my thoughts on the Haze.

The haze in Snowdonia in my experiance seems to occupy the early months of the year. It is apparently due to French farmers doing something with crops at this time of year and it is at it's worst after a period of high pressure and consistant dry weather. I have been scuppered by it time and time again during wild camps and with tremendous frustration. To the point that I have been literally praying it had cleared as I opened my tent on the morning before dawn. There have been wild camps where I didn't even bother to take a shot because I did not have the light I wanted on the distant peaks.

That is until I watched an epsiode of the luminous landscape video journal and Michael Reichmann made a comment to a very well respected photographer that "fog, mist and haze are the photographers friend and not the enemy commonly misjudged to be". He then went on to list the reasons why which I won't bore you with but it got me thinking. What I should have done in those situations was not to try and get the images I would have gone in better atmospheric conditions but instead to change my intentions and shoot to take advantage of the conditions. Haze combined with clear foregrounds gives a feeling of depth and the scattering of the light in the haze brightens the exposure on that area and can give smooth graduations of light.

Here are my feelings as to why I think these images made as they were work better with the haze:

Image number 1 would have not worked as well without the haze as the distant hill side would not have been light enough to make the exposure work. Apart from the lake it would have darkened and would have been lost to deep shadow without which I feel these image would not have been as strong.

Images 2 & 6 I would have composed differently had the atmosphere been clearer. Perfect detail in the background would have battled with foreground for attention. I would have composed the view with much less foreground and only a smidgen of it to give a little depth and to lead in. Instead the haze once again gives the feeling of great depth as it fades into the distant.

In Image 3 the haze acts as contrast backdrop to Tryfan. Tryfan being the darker element against the light background. If it had been clear this contrast would not have existed and there would be a good chance Tryfans triangle would not have stood out as well. Once again the haze give the feeling of distance from foreground to distant peaks. This is also pre-dawn light. There was no direct sunlight at all here without the haze to lighten the distant elements they would have been quite dull.

Image 5 I think speaks for it's self ;)

The internet is rife with outstanding landscape photography from many amatuers all doing the same thing in perfect conditions. I think I am learning to make the most of the "available light" and trying to produce more unique images that will have a better chance of standing out if only for just being different.

Amazing photos Sie. Your work really is inspiring - I must get out and about again as soon as my knees are on the mend. It's soul-destroying not to be able to get to the places I love.
Do you mind me asking how often you go to these places and find the light/weather is totally against you? Every time I've been up Snowdon I have not been able to see more than a few feet ahead of me!

Thanks very much :)

I go though (for me) what seems like a lot of preperation and effort to do my wild camps and yes I have been scuppered by bad light and conditions on many occasions with great frustration. Many times retreated down the mountain saying "that's it...that's the last time....never again"

I do however try to influence my luck by cross referencing weather forecasts. I use 3 sources metcheck, met-office and the mountain area forecast which although is based on the metoffice site I am pretty sure it is from a dedicated sperate data source. Here are the links for Snowdonia:

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=snowdon
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/wl_forecast_weather.html
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/snowdonia/snowdonia_latest_pressure.html

If all 3 of these agree then there is a good bet the forecast will be somewhere close. I tend to find Metcheck is the most accurate but have been times that none of them were right. It increases your odds but is no guarantee.

just fantastic, must have been up there a couple of dozen times but never been up there that early in a morning. these shots remind me of pics from Colin Prior great light and good captur.

Colin Prior was my inspiration from the start so that means a lot...thank you :)

#1 + #5 for me

texture in the snow on one is fantastic! must of been cold :)

drew

The morning wasn't too bad but the night was horrendous. I was up all night due to high winds attacking my tent. I had all my gear and my sleeping bag on me but I was freezing cold to the point I was getting concerned. It was after that I bit the bullet and brought a higher grade sleeping bag and decided I had to live with the extra weight. I am now even more concious of making sure my camp spot is as protected from wind as possible but winds change so you can't ever be sure.

:notworthy:

Stunning collection. What can I say that probably hasn't been said above? Love the light on the snow in #1, the simplicity of #5. Damned good stuff!

Are these all from your 'naked' period, or are we back into processing now?

These shots shouldn't be commented! Only look at them for their wilderness, the amazing light and the mood! (y)(y)

I like so much your camping experiences, the perfect situation to enjoy Nature and follow our passion for photography at the same time :clap:

I like so much your camping experiences, the perfect situation to enjoy Nature and follow our passion for photography at the same time :clap:

Agreed, I really want to look into gaining some experience in wild camping. It's just something else from way up there, and your photographs present that perfectly.
:clap:

Sie, i've told you before and i'll tell you again....................Awesome !

Each and every time I see your scenes I want to get back out into Snowdonia.

5 is for me the very best of the crop, the mist really does make that image snap as the peaks fade out into that gorgeous sky.

I think i really do hate you ;)

:notworthy:

Stunning collection. What can I say that probably hasn't been said above? Love the light on the snow in #1, the simplicity of #5. Damned good stuff!

Are these all from your 'naked' period, or are we back into processing now?

I am back from my naked period now ;) but a better for it I think. I discovered things I would have never have done exposing only for PP. I now expose to get it the best I can in camera and my PP is minimal compared to what it used to be. In my opinion my images have a more realistic feel with natural looking colour.

These shots shouldn't be commented! Only look at them for their wilderness, the amazing light and the mood! (y)(y)

Nicely said! thank you very much :)

Agreed, I really want to look into gaining some experience in wild camping. It's just something else from way up there, and your photographs present that perfectly.
:clap:

Everybody must experiance a good wild camp at least once in their lifetime. It's a soul searching experiance.

Sie, i've told you before and i'll tell you again....................Awesome !

Each and every time I see your scenes I want to get back out into Snowdonia.

5 is for me the very best of the crop, the mist really does make that image snap as the peaks fade out into that gorgeous sky.

I think i really do hate you

Haha! You are very very kind DF :D

You should get back there my friend. It's worth the journey and effort everytime. The are very few peaks I have not been up and I pretty much know the main areas like the back of my hand but it always pulls me back for more.

Last edited:
1, 5 and 6 are great. There is something powerful about 1 - in terms of light, remoteness and anticipation. By far one of teh best mountain shots I have seen in a long time.

Thanks once again...as always very kind comments that are always appreciated :)

Back