Views from the Glyderau plateau

Def want to echo peoples shots... remarkably this is the first time i've knowingly come accross one of your posts and I love what I see.

I agree with your thoughts on working with the available light though... Even on a really misty day i've found myself out... I rarely get as much time as I want for photography... especially my landscape stuff... so I have to go out with the attitude that I wont be beaten by the weather... It's dificult... especially I find in pouring rain more than any to get good shots... but i think you have to percivere! I do anyway... still waiting for a good fork lightning shot to present itself though! Thats def one of my photography goals!

Again great shots here and on your flickr!

Stunning- just set no. 4 as my background for the day. There's no way around it - you have to be up on the mountains very late/early in the day to get these kind of photo's. I'm glad the hardship and effort put in to be at the right place at the right time has paid off. Keep 'em coming!

Last edited:
Def want to echo peoples shots... remarkably this is the first time i've knowingly come accross one of your posts and I love what I see.

I agree with your thoughts on working with the available light though... Even on a really misty day i've found myself out... I rarely get as much time as I want for photography... especially my landscape stuff... so I have to go out with the attitude that I wont be beaten by the weather... It's dificult... especially I find in pouring rain more than any to get good shots... but i think you have to percivere! I do anyway... still waiting for a good fork lightning shot to present itself though! Thats def one of my photography goals!

Again great shots here and on your flickr!

Thanks very much :)

Yeah perfect light landscape images are always impressive to look at but rarely very original unless the compostion is particularly creative. This is especially true in the digital age as things are easier than ever for anyone to learn at a blistering pace. The internet is busting with images that reflect the stereotypical classic landscape images in golden or dawn light and we all love making them but they don't exactly standout from the crowd anymore.

The images that get a Wow from me these days are the ones that are great but shot in less than ideal conditions. I can admire a photographer (and envy) who has the ability to see well enough to shoot a great landscape without great light.

Stunning- just set no. 4 as my background for the day. There's now way around it - you have to be up on the mountains very late/early in the day to get these kind of photo's. I'm glad the hardship and effort put in to be at the right place at the right time has paid off. Keep 'em coming!

Thank's very much :D

Sie,

I've been without my computer for the last week and unable to access the internet.

I appreciate your response about haze, mist and fog, and largely agree. One does the best one can in the circumstances. However, I feel that the time has passed for a long discussion on the merits or otherwise of each!

It was a traumatic moment for me when I posted some pics on here, and I doubt I'll be doing so again.

But if you ever feel like doing a combined trip up into the mountains, let me know...

jerry

These were posted while I was away. Glad they got bumped or I might have missed them.

Not read all the debate in thread but the mist/haze and layers all look great to me :)

Thanks guys :) Haven't replied until now as I am on a weeks holiday on Anglesey. Working from a laptop with painfully slow internet at the mo :). Have been concentrating on my coastal photography which I really felt I hadn't done enough of. Even if I do not produce any worthwhile images this trip I feel I have learnt some new things about light and composition that only coastal photography can teach you.

Sie,

I've been without my computer for the last week and unable to access the internet.

I appreciate your response about haze, mist and fog, and largely agree. One does the best one can in the circumstances. However, I feel that the time has passed for a long discussion on the merits or otherwise of each!

It was a traumatic moment for me when I posted some pics on here, and I doubt I'll be doing so again.

But if you ever feel like doing a combined trip up into the mountains, let me know...

jerry

I will keep you in mind mate but would you be up for a wild camp? ;)

I have had a look through your site and found what I would consider to be some gorgeous photography.

These were posted while I was away. Glad they got bumped or I might have missed them.

Not read all the debate in thread but the mist/haze and layers all look great to me :)

Thanks very much Robert :D

Duplication....slow internet connection gave impression first reply didn't submit :bonk:

Last edited:
Number 1 made me go wow when i saw it, really stands out for me i love the different colours and textures in the first and the setting sun really adds to this nice one :)

Nice set, 1 & 3 stand out for me, great colours :)

Thanks very much guys :D

I can't really add much more to what has already been said. Absolutely stunning work; I'm genuinely in awe.

Perfect.

have to say love these pic's keep the good work and keep the pic's coming...

Once again thanks a lot guys :D

Thanks guys :) Haven't replied until now as I am on a weeks holiday on Anglesey. Working from a laptop with painfully slow internet at the mo :). Have been concentrating on my coastal photography which I really felt I hadn't done enough of. Even if I do not produce any worthwhile images this trip I feel I have learnt some new things about light and composition that only coastal photography can teach you.

I will keep you in mind mate but would you be up for a wild camp? ;)

I have had a look through your site and found what I would consider to be some gorgeous photography.

I would be up for it, but I'm not as fit as I was. Might feel a bit like a blind date too!

Oh, and thanks.....

Last edited:
I would be up for it, but I'm not as fit as I was. Might feel a bit like a blind date too!

Oh, and thanks.....

Well I didn't intend on anything else but treking and the photography :eek::eek:....:LOL:;)

Hi Sie, don't know how I missed these but glad they got bumped, really stunning work. And I agree with the Colin Prior comment, first thing that came to mind when I saw them.
Just another point, a few months ago I commented in one of your threads that you had inspired me to get a bit fitter so I could get up a few hills again. Well last weekend me and a couple of mates went to the Lakes and I slogged up Castle Cragg and Latrigg, not very big but a good start. Next stop Torridon (only kidding). So you've inspired me in 2 ways now, pack it in.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Sie, don't know how I missed these but glad they got bumped, really stunning work. And I agree with the Colin Prior comment, first thing that came to mind when I saw them.
Just another point, a few months ago I commented in one of your threads that you had inspired me to get a bit fitter so I could get up a few hills again. Well last weekend me and a couple of mates went to the Lakes and I slogged up Castle Cragg and Latrigg, not very big but a good start. Next stop Torridon (only kidding). So you've inspired me in 2 ways now, pack it in.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks very much :D

That's great that you Castle Cragg and Latrigg! I bet you felt great for it too. It's not just about the photography and the stunning views up there as I am sure you well know. Even if I didn't do any photography at all I would stil be up walking and camping in them.

Joking apart mate you have to go to Torridon as some point and climb a few hills. You won't regret it.

I'm off to Arisaig on friday so I've set myself a target of getting to 2000 feet at some point (without oxygen). Hoping that the weather will improve a bit as well for all those lovely west coast sunsets.

Andy

Wow - my favourite mountain range captured to perfection!

I've bivied on the summit mound on Glyder Fach! I ascended in the dark in cloud and found one of the large summit stones just large enough to lie on. The drop between the summit rocks was a little disturbing but I got away with it. During the night the cloud cleared leaving a perfect view across Anglesey and beyond to Ireland. Magical

I've bivied on the summit of Tryfan. I climbed at dusk with the mountain shadows chasing me the whole way up the North ridge. Found a couple already bivied up there - I had brew making gear and they had a little whiskey. That evening was just about perfect!

I've wild camped just below your camp 2. Two nights made slightly surreal as we'd bumped into a bloke on Glyder Fach long after sunset. He was about 80 and it emerged that two weeks earlier he'd had a heart bypass operation as wasn't moving as fast as he'd expected!!! He wasn't just missing a torch, he had run out of food and water and was on his own!!!! We took him half way down towards Pen-y-Gwryd and judged he could make the rest with one of our two torches. Traversing the mountainside in the pitch black with a shared torch trying to locate the tent was very tricky! Overnight a mother of a storm blew in but the trusty Quasar once again proved it's worth.

Anyway - thanks for sharing those inspirational photos!
Duncan

Wow - my favourite mountain range captured to perfection!

I've bivied on the summit mound on Glyder Fach! I ascended in the dark in cloud and found one of the large summit stones just large enough to lie on. The drop between the summit rocks was a little disturbing but I got away with it. During the night the cloud cleared leaving a perfect view across Anglesey and beyond to Ireland. Magical

I've bivied on the summit of Tryfan. I climbed at dusk with the mountain shadows chasing me the whole way up the North ridge. Found a couple already bivied up there - I had brew making gear and they had a little whiskey. That evening was just about perfect!

I've wild camped just below your camp 2. Two nights made slightly surreal as we'd bumped into a bloke on Glyder Fach long after sunset. He was about 80 and it emerged that two weeks earlier he'd had a heart bypass operation as wasn't moving as fast as he'd expected!!! He wasn't just missing a torch, he had run out of food and water and was on his own!!!! We took him half way down towards Pen-y-Gwryd and judged he could make the rest with one of our two torches. Traversing the mountainside in the pitch black with a shared torch trying to locate the tent was very tricky! Overnight a mother of a storm blew in but the trusty Quasar once again proved it's worth.

Anyway - thanks for sharing those inspirational photos!
Duncan

I originally was going to use a bivi bag when I first started but I didn't like the idea of leaveing all my photography equipment in my rucksack outside during the night and open to elements amongst other things. So I struggle to hulk a 2 man tent up there instead ;)

Stoping on top of Tryfan must have been superb. Maybe one day I will leave all the camera equipment behind and do a bivi myself up there. I tend to steer clear of absolute summit's as they are too exposed the weather. Something I learned from many sleepless nights.

Your a brave man sleeping on one of the summits slaps of rock. I know the gaps between those things. I would have rolled over during the night and become jammed there for sure ;)

Nice story about the old man. Glad it turned ok!

Sie,
I use a heavy weight refuse sack to keep everything dry that's not with me in the bivvy bag. I also use some of this gear (such as the rucsack) tucked under the top of the bivvy bag as a pillow - and this means I know where all my gear is! It takes a major storm to worry a bivvy bag - much safer than a tent! Just need a few pegs to stop any risk of bags getting blown about but the only time I've been even mildly concerned was a bivvy just below the horns of Ben Alligin when a SERIOUSLY wild storm came in. Had planned to bivvy in the valley beneath but it wasn't safe to continue down the mountain.

Nothing wrong with mountain tops as long as the weather is settled. I've bivvied twice on the Snowdon trig-point, plus Moel Siabod (highly recommended), Carnedd Llewelyn, Cwm Idwall and others. Best thing about mountain tops is the 360 degree view from the sleeping bag.

LOL - just thought - how about a TP bivvy meet :nuts:
Mmmm - star trails from the mountain tops

Back