Vintage Lenses

Name
Neville
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, if it's as nice tomorrow as it has been today, I'm off out to test the Pentax 70 - 150 lens. I might even dig out my tripod.

Edit My Images
No
Interestingly, one is a "ghostless" filter, that I'd not really heard of before and is quite scarce apparently.
That's an interesting one. A quick search suggests that rather than coating it, they made it out of curved glass, so it must change the formula of the lens slightly! I've stayed clear of vintage filters up to now - I'd rather have something multicoated and easy to clean. But for Leica lenses, that can mean buying some strange adapters like the SOOGZ, a screw clamp thing that allows you to fit E39 thread filters to lenses designed for A36 push on filters. These used to be cheap at camera fairs, and are now stupidly expensive on ebay. Then there's the SNHOO, which converts the unique conical filter thread of the Summitar to E39. These are rarer than the SOOGZ and would be even pricier if there weren't modern copies.

OP
THIRTYFIVEMILL
Name
Dunc
Edit My Images
No
That's an interesting one. A quick search suggests that rather than coating it, they made it out of curved glass, so it must change the formula of the lens slightly! I've stayed clear of vintage filters up to now - I'd rather have something multicoated and easy to clean. But for Leica lenses, that can mean buying some strange adapters like the SOOGZ, a screw clamp thing that allows you to fit E39 thread filters to lenses designed for A36 push on filters. These used to be cheap at camera fairs, and are now stupidly expensive on ebay. Then there's the SNHOO, which converts the unique conical filter thread of the Summitar to E39. These are rarer than the SOOGZ and would be even pricier if there weren't modern copies.
Yes, curved filter glass. Quite intriguing. Might reserve that one for the 8 element 50mm 1.4. That showed up yesterday in stunning condition. The light was too poor to photograph it by the time I got home but will hopefully get that done later. Can't wait to shoot it.

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got an SMC Super Takumar 85-210mm f4.5 that I can't see me using due to the weight and length of it. If anyone would like this monster, all I'd ask is the postage. If more than one person is interested then I'll draw a name out of a hat. Monday at 5pm is the deadline.

Name
Neville
Edit My Images
Yes
Pentax 35 - 70 / 2.8 - 3.5...... Bleh! Wasn't impressed on the basis of the few images I've taken this far. There is an unpleasant blue cast. I thought I'd done something wrong, but not as far as I'm aware. I know these things can be corrected quite easily. but of the lenses I've tried lately I haven't come across this before. It's a lump of a thing as well.

OP
THIRTYFIVEMILL
Name
Dunc
Edit My Images
No
Pentax 35 - 70 / 2.8 - 3.5...... Bleh! Wasn't impressed on the basis of the few images I've taken this far. There is an unpleasant blue cast. I thought I'd done something wrong, but not as far as I'm aware. I know these things can be corrected quite easily. but of the lenses I've tried lately I haven't come across this before. It's a lump of a thing as well.
That'a a shame. I got s Minolta 35-70 3.5 to try a few days back but it was sloppy as heck so returned it.

Edit My Images
No
That'a a shame. I got s Minolta 35-70 3.5 to try a few days back but it was sloppy as heck so returned it.
That’s a real shame.
My Minolta 35-70 came from someone’s “personal collection” (to this day, I’m still not sure what that meant!), but anyway, it was spotless, “tight” and simply one of the best legacy lenses I own.
So versatile on FF. Not so much on m43.
It’s even been motor racing!!

OP
THIRTYFIVEMILL
Name
Dunc
Edit My Images
No
That’s a real shame.
My Minolta 35-70 came from someone’s “personal collection” (to this day, I’m still not sure what that meant!), but anyway, it was spotless, “tight” and simply one of the best legacy lenses I own.
So versatile on FF. Not so much on m43.
It’s even been motor racing!!
Probably a blessing as I've bought way too many lenses lately..

Edit My Images
No
Pentacon 135mm F2.8, 15 blade iris on M43 with focal reducer. Shot wide open.
there was a time when I could have recalculated equivalent focal length and AV for FF equivalent, but no longer.
100% accept this is in no way "clinically sharp", but then again, that's not what legacy lenses are all about.
I really must put this lens on my A7iii when the rose comes out this year and do an A/B.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
THIRTYFIVEMILL
Name
Dunc
Edit My Images
No
there was a time when I could have recalculated equivalent focal length and AV for FF equivalent, but no longer.
100% accept this is in no way "clinically sharp", but then again, that's not what legacy lenses are all about.
I really must put this lens on my A7iii when the rose comes out this year and do an A/B.
Pleasant bokeh to that lens.

Name
Neville
Edit My Images
Yes
It's very pleasing though. I've got one of those tucked away. I'll have to try it myself. :D

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
If anyone is interested I'm advertising some film era primes in the Film for sale section.

OP
THIRTYFIVEMILL
Name
Dunc
Edit My Images
No
I've got an SMC Super Takumar 85-210mm f4.5 that I can't see me using due to the weight and length of it. If anyone would like this monster, all I'd ask is the postage. If more than one person is interested then I'll draw a name out of a hat. Monday at 5pm is the deadline.
Did anyone ask for this, mate? I thought I'd stay quiet in case there were others that may have been more in need than me but if no-one came forward I'll happily grab it off you?

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
@THIRTYFIVEMILL Nobody sent a message or anything else for that matter. It has it's original case. You're welcome to it and do whatever you want with it.