Vintage Lenses

This one arrived today. :oops: :$

TAKI-135-1-SharpenAI-motion.png
As well as a lovely lens it is also a great photo. I need to rethink my aweful shots that I use for ebay.

Well, if it's as nice tomorrow as it has been today, I'm off out to test the Pentax 70 - 150 lens. I might even dig out my tripod.

Interestingly, one is a "ghostless" filter, that I'd not really heard of before and is quite scarce apparently.
That's an interesting one. A quick search suggests that rather than coating it, they made it out of curved glass, so it must change the formula of the lens slightly! I've stayed clear of vintage filters up to now - I'd rather have something multicoated and easy to clean. But for Leica lenses, that can mean buying some strange adapters like the SOOGZ, a screw clamp thing that allows you to fit E39 thread filters to lenses designed for A36 push on filters. These used to be cheap at camera fairs, and are now stupidly expensive on ebay. Then there's the SNHOO, which converts the unique conical filter thread of the Summitar to E39. These are rarer than the SOOGZ and would be even pricier if there weren't modern copies.

That's an interesting one. A quick search suggests that rather than coating it, they made it out of curved glass, so it must change the formula of the lens slightly! I've stayed clear of vintage filters up to now - I'd rather have something multicoated and easy to clean. But for Leica lenses, that can mean buying some strange adapters like the SOOGZ, a screw clamp thing that allows you to fit E39 thread filters to lenses designed for A36 push on filters. These used to be cheap at camera fairs, and are now stupidly expensive on ebay. Then there's the SNHOO, which converts the unique conical filter thread of the Summitar to E39. These are rarer than the SOOGZ and would be even pricier if there weren't modern copies.

Yes, curved filter glass. Quite intriguing. Might reserve that one for the 8 element 50mm 1.4. That showed up yesterday in stunning condition. The light was too poor to photograph it by the time I got home but will hopefully get that done later. Can't wait to shoot it.

I've got an SMC Super Takumar 85-210mm f4.5 that I can't see me using due to the weight and length of it. If anyone would like this monster, all I'd ask is the postage. If more than one person is interested then I'll draw a name out of a hat. Monday at 5pm is the deadline.

You might have mentioned it. ;)

Last edited:
Pentax 35 - 70 / 2.8 - 3.5...... Bleh! Wasn't impressed on the basis of the few images I've taken this far. There is an unpleasant blue cast. I thought I'd done something wrong, but not as far as I'm aware. I know these things can be corrected quite easily. but of the lenses I've tried lately I haven't come across this before. It's a lump of a thing as well.

Pentax 35 - 70 / 2.8 - 3.5...... Bleh! Wasn't impressed on the basis of the few images I've taken this far. There is an unpleasant blue cast. I thought I'd done something wrong, but not as far as I'm aware. I know these things can be corrected quite easily. but of the lenses I've tried lately I haven't come across this before. It's a lump of a thing as well.

That'a a shame. I got s Minolta 35-70 3.5 to try a few days back but it was sloppy as heck so returned it.

That'a a shame. I got s Minolta 35-70 3.5 to try a few days back but it was sloppy as heck so returned it.
That’s a real shame.
My Minolta 35-70 came from someone’s “personal collection” (to this day, I’m still not sure what that meant!), but anyway, it was spotless, “tight” and simply one of the best legacy lenses I own.
So versatile on FF. Not so much on m43.
It’s even been motor racing!!

That’s a real shame.
My Minolta 35-70 came from someone’s “personal collection” (to this day, I’m still not sure what that meant!), but anyway, it was spotless, “tight” and simply one of the best legacy lenses I own.
So versatile on FF. Not so much on m43.
It’s even been motor racing!!

Probably a blessing as I've bought way too many lenses lately..

Pentacon 135mm F2.8, 15 blade iris on M43 with focal reducer. Shot wide open.
there was a time when I could have recalculated equivalent focal length and AV for FF equivalent, but no longer.
100% accept this is in no way "clinically sharp", but then again, that's not what legacy lenses are all about.
I really must put this lens on my A7iii when the rose comes out this year and do an A/B.

Attachments

• cropped Pentacon 135 F2.8 with Focal reducer.jpg
    cropped Pentacon 135 F2.8 with Focal reducer.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
there was a time when I could have recalculated equivalent focal length and AV for FF equivalent, but no longer.
100% accept this is in no way "clinically sharp", but then again, that's not what legacy lenses are all about.
I really must put this lens on my A7iii when the rose comes out this year and do an A/B.

Pleasant bokeh to that lens.

And here's one from my Olly 135 (which nobody seems to want!!)
Almost certainly shot at F5.6/8 on Sony FF.

Attachments

• Flowers 2 Olly 135.jpg
    Flowers 2 Olly 135.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 9

It's very pleasing though. I've got one of those tucked away. I'll have to try it myself. :D

If anyone is interested I'm advertising some film era primes in the Film for sale section.

I've got an SMC Super Takumar 85-210mm f4.5 that I can't see me using due to the weight and length of it. If anyone would like this monster, all I'd ask is the postage. If more than one person is interested then I'll draw a name out of a hat. Monday at 5pm is the deadline.

Did anyone ask for this, mate? I thought I'd stay quiet in case there were others that may have been more in need than me but if no-one came forward I'll happily grab it off you?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v_XhmA5N7k

This little project has taken some time to complete but it’s finally done. A few weeks ago I found an old Asahi Takumar Pentax case on eBay for peanuts and decided to grab it and renovate it and then modify it slightly to store my Takumar lenses. I replaced the foam inside at the sides of the case, tidied the velvet lining and added B044 case dividers, each of which is foam lined to keep the lenses well protected.

Inside the case is an old, well worn, black Pentax Spotmatic F, filters, hoods and the following lenses:

28mm f/3.5
50mm f/1.4 8 Element
55mm f/1.8
55mm f/2.0
85mm f/1.9
150mm f/4

Everything is original with OEM front and rear caps. All lenses are M42 mount and each one is used regularly, adapted to a Nikon Z6.

Last edited:
That's very impressive. I think I'll have to go and have a lie down now. :D

I meant to post this here but did so in the other thread so hoping someone following this and not the other one may be able to solve the issue im having with adapting a Tamron 90mm Adaptil lens to a fuji camera.

I have a Vivitar 55mm Nikon mount vintage lens, this fits perfectly onto the Nikon "Lens to Body" adaptor from K&F concept.

The Tamron 90mm Adaptil i have just got has a detachable "Adaptil" section that makes it fit a Nikon mount camera. This should be exactly the same as the mount on the Vivitar but it is not fitting the above mentioned Nikon "Lens to Body" adaptor correctly. The aperture ring that couples to the adaptil part of the lens is binding in the K&F Lens to Body Adaptor.

So what I need is a recommendation of an alternative manufacturer of a "Lens to Body" adaptor that has been used with a Tamron Adaptil lens with the Nikon fitment with out an issue,

TIA

Well, this is a turn up for the books. Thought I'd try and old Soligor lens today. The 28mm 2.8, to be precise. I had no great hopes for it as I understand they didn't make their own lenses and they can be a bit variable in quality. I've obviously got a good one though, because the results are fantastic! Really impressed.

DSCF0985 by Neville Watkins, on Flickr

I don't spend all my time in churchyards, I hasten to add. But they are great places to try out lenses, and this is a favourite.

Well, this is a turn up for the books. Thought I'd try and old Soligor lens today. The 28mm 2.8, to be precise. I had no great hopes for it as I understand they didn't make their own lenses and they can be a bit variable in quality. I've obviously got a good one though, because the results are fantastic! Really impressed.

by Neville Watkins, on Flickr

I don't spend all my time in churchyards, I hasten to add. But they are great places to try out lenses, and this is a favourite.

Looks very decent!

I think so. Lenses can be a personal thing, and 28 is a focal length I like a lot. I'd probably rate the Vivitar as my favourite in actual fact. It's sharp and there is a warmth to the colours, which I like a lot. This Soligor is a bit like that, and the results are very pleasing to the eye. The Pentax, on the other hand, is certainly sharp. But there is a coolness to it that puts it in third place for me.

I recently bought a couple of Chinon lenses, 28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4 in PK mount. Overall I think they're worth looking at as probably lower cost alternatives to the usual suspects. The 28mm has mushy corners though and the 50mm can give more defined outlines to bokeh balls but other than these criticisms I think they're worth a look. The ones I got are in very good condition and could have been made last year.

I recently bought a couple of Chinon lenses, 28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4 in PK mount. Overall I think they're worth looking at as probably lower cost alternatives to the usual suspects. The 28mm has mushy corners though and the 50mm can give more defined outlines to bokeh balls but other than these criticisms I think they're worth a look. The ones I got are in very good condition and could have been made last year.

Worth a go. I bought this one last night:

s-l500.jpg

Yes, I've looked at those a couple of times but I think I have in the region of 16 50mm lenses so maybe that's enough :D

I just got interested in Chinon, read up on the company, read some reviews and thought I'd give them a try.

I'll be going out later and although the light is quite poor here I'll take a camera, possibly with my Takumar 28mm f3.5 mounted.

Yes, I've looked at those a couple of times but I think I have in the region of 16 50mm lenses so maybe that's enough :D

I just got interested in Chinon, read up on the company, read some reviews and thought I'd give them a try.

I'll be going out later and although the light is quite poor here I'll take a camera, possibly with my Takumar 28mm f3.5 mounted.

Yes, I seem to building quite an arsenal of 50s, too. Maybe tape them all together and make a 500? :ROFLMAO:

I have a lot of 35's and a growing collection of 24 and 28's too.

Just for fun... I haven't had these Chinon's long enough to take a lot of pictures but these are my favourites so far.

First the 50mm f1.4. I spotted this family, I presume the couple are looking after their grandson for the day. They sat on the bench and read a story...

2ZtnHNY.jpg

Next the 28mm f2.8. Just the view along the seafront at Redcar towards the steelworks.

yAIJCzV.jpg

I thought that 28 and 50mm would make a nice pairing although I do prefer 24 and 50 24mm lenses are often more expensive and the point was to go cheap here :D

Back