Virginmedia superhub 3

S

stupar

Anyone running a VM Superhub 3?
If so are you having issues with latency (especially with online gaming and TV services).
Ive been reading horror stories ahead of receiving my V6 box plus Superhub 3 so curious to here any experiences from fellow TP'rs.

I've had the superhub 3 and V6 box for approx 4 months now, and can honestly say i've not had any issues with either of them at all.
The V6 box is a flyer compared to the tivo i had, and we have the 300mbps broadband for the xbox and also the kids are on it ALL the time too, and again, i've not experienced problems with that too, although i do reboot it once a month.

No issues here either with the same setup and we have two V6 boxes and they run seamlessly and with the remotes supporting RF the boxes are hid out of sight, our son does online gaming on the Xbox One and Nintendo switch and never complains, in fact I have to be honest and say it is very rare we have issues with the service.

I've had the superhub 3 and V6 box for approx 4 months now, and can honestly say i've not had any issues with either of them at all.
The V6 box is a flyer compared to the tivo i had, and we have the 300mbps broadband for the xbox and also the kids are on it ALL the time too, and again, i've not experienced problems with that too, although i do reboot it once a month.

I have the VM Superhub 3 - no issues (hope I haven’t now triggered some!)

No issues here either with the same setup and we have two V6 boxes and they run seamlessly and with the remotes supporting RF the boxes are hid out of sight, our son does online gaming on the Xbox One and Nintendo switch and never complains, in fact I have to be honest and say it is very rare we have issues with the service.
Thanks guys.
For those that are using Xbox Ones. Do you have it hard wired to the router or running wireless?
Also could you confirm in Network Settings on your Xbox' what it says under NAT
Many thanks

No issues here - we've had the V6 box and Superhub 3 now for over a year and until my son went to Uni was a heavy gamer.

We got the old xbox out again at Christmas, running over ethernet, not issues with that either

No issues here - we've had the V6 box and Superhub 3 now for over a year and until my son went to Uni was a heavy gamer.

We got the old xbox out again at Christmas, running over ethernet, not issues with that either

Out if interest with the Xbox hard wired do you know if it kept dropping Xbox live?

The problem i am reading about is the new hub forces the Xbox NAT to show as moderate/strict and the latency issue forces it to drop xbox live at every opportunity which is not ideal for online gaming which i do a lot of.

I've not seen it drop xbox live, haven't played it since christmas mind, but it worked ok over that time.

Hmmmm food for thought.
If I try it and it fails I can just revert to my superhub 1 (after re-activating) but the V6 doesn't work with the superhub 1 so I would have to challenge VM to give me a superhub 2 (slim chance).

I've had no issues apart from finding I could no longer apply a house-wide VPN at router level.
So just apply to my firebox/smart tv via an installed app as and when required...ahem kodi ahem cough.

supposedly the SH4 isnt long off, but I'm sure I read it uses the same Puma chipset that the SH3 uses which causes these supposed ping/jitter issues.

Doesnt sound like the best way forward.
Im on the fence whether to install on monday when they arrive knowing now of the potential issues i could be facing.

Im now wishing i wasnt on the original superhub too :D

I've found superhub 3 much better than 2. Haven't had any issues, other than when my entire connection dies (central failure)

I will be getting in touch with VM soonish I have an old Hub 2 I think.
on the lowest which I think is 60mbs.
everything works fantastic but I think I can get a better deal upgrading and paying less.
currently pay £35/month for telephon and BB don't have the TV.

There's a known issue with latency on the Hub3 due to its use of an Intel Puma 6 chipset which turned out to have a flaw that affects all routers using it.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/...ncy_issue_still_not_fixed_sixth_months_later/

I find the Hub3 ok in day to day use (I don't game) but the UI is shockingly bad, and connection issues seem to cause it to fall over and/or kill the wifi (so you can't log in and check the connection logs).

There's a known issue with latency on the Hub3 due to its use of an Intel Puma 6 chipset which turned out to have a flaw that affects all routers using it.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/...ncy_issue_still_not_fixed_sixth_months_later/

I find the Hub3 ok in day to day use (I don't game) but the UI is shockingly bad, and connection issues seem to cause it to fall over and/or kill the wifi (so you can't log in and check the connection logs).

I do a lot online gaming so the last thing i need is the xbox live connection dropping because the Hub 3 is so flawed it trips overs itself

What a shame. I sent my v2 back to vm a month ago. Only needed to send the v3 back as I never installed it after an upgrade.

Is the v3 ok in modem mode? I usually ran vm kit like that to cut out most of the reliability issues.

What a shame. I sent my v2 back to vm a month ago. Only needed to send the v3 back as I never installed it after an upgrade.

Is the v3 ok in modem mode? I usually ran vm kit like that to cut out most of the reliability issues.

Even in Modem mode the Hub 3 is potentially flawed as the issue appears to do with the intel chip itself and not how the router is setup

Even in Modem mode the Hub 3 is potentially flawed as the issue appears to do with the intel chip itself and not how the router is setup

They should have sorted it by now. 2 quarters with it broken isn't acceptable.

Me thinks there is a lot of head burying in sand going on hoping the situation will disappear.
Apparently if you call VM to report the issue they make out everything is fine.

Not good in this day in age.

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE

Thought i would post a wee update now that i have the V6 box.
Virgin should have sent a new hub along with the V6 as they say it is a requirement of the V6 (alas no new hub arrived).
Reports have confirmed that the superhub 2 works Sith the V6 box however we are on the original superhub.

Fearing the worst i hooked up the V6 box to the hub and started the setup procedure.
15 minutes later and im up and running.

I now have the speed and benefits of V6 over the older tivo box but whilst still retaining the ability to enjoy online game play.

Im guessing i will be fine on two accounts-

Firstly we dont have a 4K TV so no worries re the extra bandwith of Netflix and the likes of.
Secondly the Xbox and V6 share the same TV so only one is used at any one time therefore no sharing of the bandwith going on.

Either way i will run it this way until it stops working or a new and improved hub surfaces.

Just got my TiVo 6 and SH3 upgrades, after reading all the woes of the SH3 I decided not to activate it and kept the 2ac hub instead. Took a bit of persuading on the phone to the activation team mind!

Last edited:
We have the V6 and SH3. The V6 is great - much better than the Tivo - but the SH3 is a dog!

It reboots itself randomly and takes ages to come back on. Rather annoying especially when backing up image files to the cloud :(

We have been VM customers for ever - were one of the first customers in the Bristol area wwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyy back when and until we moved house last May I was a real advocate of their service. Now our house is 112m from the box in the street and the best they can deliver is 65Mbs - somewhat slower than the 200Mbs we're supposed to get. Our last house was about 500m from the box and we were running at full speed all the time. To say I'm peeved is an understatement :(
/RANT

its weird but I have an old hub possibly an original and it is brilliant.
I have it plugged into one of those ikea 24 hour timers so it shuts down for 5 mins at 2am just to keep it fresh.

you need to reboot all routers like these regularly I find.
its easier to have a timer to do this

Just to add some balance, i've not had any problems with Superhub 3, using it in modem only mode with a seemingly decent linksys wifi router

virgin.png

Oh and I play call of duty a lot, and using a sniper rifle - I often come first place -so latency can't be bad.

Last edited:
mine is terrible! the wifi just wont work it drops connections all the time, if you can actually connect! not much of an issue for me personally but the wife and kids are sick of it. I have everything connected via ethernet

Just to add some balance, i've not had any problems with Superhub 3, using it in modem only mode with a seemingly decent linksys wifi router

View attachment 119885

Oh and I play call of duty a lot, and using a sniper rifle - I often come first place -so latency can't be bad.

You could be lucky due to your game play style.
All hub 3's though are doomed with the faulty intel chip and latency spikes/packet dropping occurs every few minutes and are in the 140ms plus range.

For me playing racing games online that is make or brake stuff (see what i did there) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see issues with our SuperHub 3 and I'm working at home and for the last two weeks have been running network testing on a client site, so for fun have also popped up my connection into the mix. I get a 29-32ms response time to most sites.

its weird but I have an old hub possibly an original and it is brilliant.
I have it plugged into one of those ikea 24 hour timers so it shuts down for 5 mins at 2am just to keep it fresh.

you need to reboot all routers like these regularly I find.
its easier to have a timer to do this
Haven't rebooted my SH2ac for several months and still daisy fresh.

Really shouldn't need daily reboots unless it's really cheap kit or bad line. Plus regular reboots can mess with your line speed, if your isp auto tests see the line dropping frequently it may trigger a throttle back in attempt to stabilise the connection.

I don't see issues with our SuperHub 3 and I'm working at home and for the last two weeks have been running network testing on a client site, so for fun have also popped up my connection into the mix. I get a 29-32ms response time to most sites.
You might be lucky but equally if your only pinging websites the requirement for a lower latency isnt the same as for online gaming.

The Virgin Community Forum has rafts of threads where online gamers are suffering but people doing general web activities are oblivious.
Im not willing to take them risk at the expense of being left with a Microsoft paperweight.

Hopefully they put a bit more effort in when it comes to the hub 4.

You might be lucky but equally if your only pinging websites the requirement for a lower latency isnt the same as for online gaming.
With my work I'm doing far more than pinging ;)

My youngest games a lot and before he went to uni was in the cabin at the end of a powerline adaptor. Thats got slightly worse response but never complained (unless it went down).

I'm about 120m run from the cabinet, on the top tap (There's two taps on the cabinet, bottom tap is shared leading to signal drop), had a new cable run into the house and the house rewired for points, yet still needed a booster on the outside wall to provide the correct signal to the superhub 3 and two V6 boxes. The new hub 3 and V6 boxes seem very particular about signal strength for best HD viewing and response. Took them about 5 visits to resolve all issues but persistence and the ability to provide detailed information helped the process.

With my work I'm doing far more than pinging ;)

My youngest games a lot and before he went to uni was in the cabin at the end of a powerline adaptor. Thats got slightly worse response but never complained (unless it went down).

I'm about 120m run from the cabinet, on the top tap (There's two taps on the cabinet, bottom tap is shared leading to signal drop), had a new cable run into the house and the house rewired for points, yet still needed a booster on the outside wall to provide the correct signal to the superhub 3 and two V6 boxes. The new hub 3 and V6 boxes seem very particular about signal strength for best HD viewing and response. Took them about 5 visits to resolve all issues but persistence and the ability to provide detailed information helped the process.

Sometimes persistence is the key and it is defo handy when you can speak their language!

Another issue with the hub 2 and Xbox in particular is it forces NAT into moderate and strict meaning dropped connections. Apparently Xbox prefers NAT to be open which would be achieved by port forwarding on the router but it seems the hub 3 doesn't let you play ball on that front.

For the time being our V6 box (which is a vast improvement over the old tivo) is happily being fed by a wired connection from the original superhub. FHD is the most that we ever stream through the box and it seems to handle it fine and my online game play is unaffected

lets hope i'm not jinxing it by talking about it though! :)

Haven't rebooted my SH2ac for several months and still daisy fresh.

Really shouldn't need daily reboots unless it's really cheap kit or bad line. Plus regular reboots can mess with your line speed, if your isp auto tests see the line dropping frequently it may trigger a throttle back in attempt to stabilise the connection.

virgin media don't have line speed issues its coax cable, I find the early routers run out of steam maybe memory leaks or bad nat tables but since taking mine of line overnight for a few mins its like a rocket.
ping tests and dns lookups used to be 100ms now under 10ms.

As I said I have a very old virgin hub router, I think I will have had it 7 years.

virgin media don't have line speed issues its coax cable, I find the early routers run out of steam maybe memory leaks or bad nat tables but since taking mine of line overnight for a few mins its like a rocket.
ping tests and dns lookups used to be 100ms now under 10ms.

As I said I have a very old virgin hub router, I think I will have had it 7 years.

Sounds like you have the same one as me.....this one per chance?
er_photo_141727.jpg

I was issued with an SH3 when I subscribed VM. There was an issue when running it in 'modem mode' handling DHCP renewal from the CMTS which effectively broke the internet for a few minutes every forty minutes. A Virgin Engineer came out and replaced it with a SH2 AC. Which has been faultless.

I understand that issue with the SH3 was fixed with a firmware update, but it took some time and caused some wailing and gnashing of teeth from VM customers who were running their own firewalls etc.

Back