Visit from police

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
We are both knocking on a bit so we dont answer the door, friends and relatives ring us first,had a knock on the door yesterday didn't answer then a second one which we didn't answer,

Next it was a loud booming knock and a voice saying the police anyone in,it was a case of a neighbor not seeing us for a while so asking the police to check we were ok , very nice of them i thought to be bothered to get us checked on.

That was a very kind thought from your neighbour - hope you have thanked them

What kind of society do we live in where people are scared to answer the door? What a sad indictment of modern Britain.

We are both knocking on a bit so we dont answer the door, friends and relatives ring us first,had a knock on the door yesterday didn't answer then a second one which we didn't answer,

Next it was a loud booming knock and a voice saying the police anyone in,it was a case of a neighbor not seeing us for a while so asking the police to check we were ok , very nice of them i thought to be bothered to get us checked on.

Good for them and decent of your neighbours

from the other perspective, a few years ago I was walking my daughter home from school and as I walked past my neighbours I could hear a smoke alarm but get no answer. The police and fire were very fast to attend. My elderly neighbour had fallen asleep while cooking

First, why didn’t your neighbours phone/text you instead — which is what my neighbours do.
Secondly, get a cheap door camera/security camera etc (£20 ish).
Thirdly, not answering the door is a security risk in itself — might be a neighbour’s house on fire etc — and also miscreants who get no answer start looking for ways to get in which can lead to worse problems.

Probably a Ring doorbell may be your best bet if you use mobile phones.

I could never see the attraction of having a Ring doorbell. That was until I got one - I wouldn't be without it now, it's brilliant. :)

I could never see the attraction of having a Ring doorbell. That was until I got one - I wouldn't be without it now, it's brilliant. :)
I’ve got one and find it less than brilliant but the current models are probably better and for @mikew it‘d probably answer the problem provided they use cell phones.

I also use Tapo (TP LINK) cameras rigged to show on an old TV for better pictures. Actually I originall bought security cameras to check the dog was OK when I had unscheduled nights away (for which they work very well) but have since found all sorts of uses for them.

Reactions: RIR
I got the wired one as I didn't want rechargeable. My only complaints are the inability to edit the announcement messages and not being able to lose the American voice. I'm sure both will come with future models.

Last edited:
Someone who lives not too far away mounted a fake Ring doorbell on his front door. High above the door he mounted a downward pointing video camera that has appalling resolution. The result was an unusable recording of a low-life slithering along the front of his house and wrenching the Ring doorbell off the door.

Well that turned quick from a ..haaa story... to why didnt you do this that and the other like the OP is the bad guy...

Reminds me of facebook :)

Well that turned quick from a ..haaa story... to why didnt you do this that and the other like the OP is the bad guy...

Reminds me of facebook :)
Not really, just helpful suggestions from others in the same boat. :(

Back