Beginner W/B

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it wrong to shoot in auto w/b when shooting in RAW, when it's so easy to change in pp? The only reason I can see is what the jpeg will look like on the lcd on the back of the camera.
As I understand a RAW file contains all the data that is needed to correct any changes you may want to make.

I think that you've both got it right. Mostly I don't find any need to change what the camera's set, they're so good these days (& have been for quite a while). But yes it's easy when the need arises, and there's no quality hit from doing so.

Is it wrong to shoot in auto w/b when shooting in RAW, when it's so easy to change in pp? The only reason I can see is what the jpeg will look like on the lcd on the back of the camera.
As I understand a RAW file contains all the data that is needed to correct any changes you may want to make.

Nothing wrong with that, though some cameras are better at AWB than others. The other thing is, if you're taking a lot of pictures of the same subject AWB can vary slightly shot to shot according to what's in the frame. It probably won't change much, but if you're a wedding photographer and need to get that dress exactly right in every image, then set a fixed WB, say daylight, and it won't change. In post processing, you then tweak the first shot and copy the adjustment through the rest of the set.

Edit: for work like that, it's a good idea to get a WB reference in the first frame, eg X-Rite Colour Checker. Then click on that with the WB tool in PP, so you know it's correct.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that, though some cameras are better at AWB than others. The other thing is, if you're taking a lot of pictures of the same subject AWB can vary slightly shot to shot according to what's in the frame. It probably won't change much, but if you're a wedding photographer and need to get that dress exactly right in every image, then set a fixed WB, say daylight, and it won't change. In post processing, you then tweak the first shot and copy the adjustment through the rest of the set.

Edit: for work like that, it's a good idea to get a WB reference in the first frame, eg X-Rite Colour Checker. Then click on that with the WB tool in PP, so you know it's correct.

Exactly what I do, the only time I do anything different is using studio heads when I set wb accordingly

Thanks for your replies.
I thought as much.
Good point about shooting the same subject with a set w/b.

Raw is the format. If you need corect WB, first picture of the location you should make with white card in the frame.Later in PP
you just chose WB pen and press on top of the white card and WB will be corect.
Some people say you can make it with grey card, but grey card is for exposure ,not for WB.

Back