Walk around lens

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I have already asked for advice on a tele-zoom lens and thanks to stu.artd advice, I will be buying a Tamron 70 300 VC DI USM lens.

My question is I currently have Sigma 17 70 DC OS. I’m looking to replace this lens with a sharper one. I love the Tamron 17 50 f2.8 VC lens due to the sharpness, low light handle and vc function. Only big no no is the macro function. My sigma takes some wonder macro photos and I don’t want to loose that.

Is there any lens that’s sharp, low night, macro functions all together? Price around 150 to 250 second-hand?

Any help would be useful.

Thanks

Shomel

What body is this for?
Sharp, low light, macro and cheap aren't commonly used in the same sentence :)

Last edited:
You could hold onto the Sigma and get a nifty fifty (canon 50 f1.8 mk II) for under £80 ?
It's not going to replace the range of the Sigma 17-70, but might be worth thinking about ?

There's a few Sigma 50mm macro lenses going from around £150 on ebay at the moment which should be useful for your macro shots. There's also a few Canon EF-s 60mm f2.8 macro lenses there too but they seem to be at the higher end of your budget.

Don't know about Canon, but the Nikon crop primes aren't any better than the Sigma. The Sigma only loses out at the really long end wide open or if you point it into the sun. For it's reach and versatility there is nothing better. Your 550D is guaranteed to be sharper than my Fuji too!

could look at the 17-85

have a look at the sigma 18-250 macro superb all round lens,its all you'd need in one,no changing lenses, excellent images. Its on my 60d and dont need anything else. A little above your budget (around £400) but if you go that far its worth it .In real life the images are superb and if your like me and no need to disect images in photoshop or need poster size prints (i often wonder who does?) then you cant go wrong with this lens

Last edited:
I should have thought he's got himself something by now ... nearly two years later.

Back