Walked in to town and back today, taking portraits of strangers...

Thanks Joe, and David Killock work looks awesome, but this isn't really a typical 100 stranger project, in fact 100 does't have anything to do with it, it just happens to be part of my opener.

I have one goal, to create local awareness and build a client base as large as possible in as short time as possible, and have fun while doing it.

Also, this thread is hardly the place to talk about technical stuff, that kind of info can be found anywhere.

As I said, I'm primarily doing this to spread awareness and get work, and I'm simply posting my work here for anyone who's interested and who may find this stuff helpful, and for the people who arn't or don't, that doesn't matter to me as I'm not specifically trying to cater to the will/interests of others in this forum, either they find it useful or they don't.

i think what you are doing as a way of generating business is a good idea

it's just all the posts about how to charm the people on the street I find a little self indulgent and and I don't know if you mean to or not but you are coming across a little david brent as if you are some kind of "stranger whisperer" :LOL: But people were asking how you talk to complete strangers i suppose so you were only answering them, as for other places being the place to talk about technical stuff - surely it's the other way round? being a photography forum this is the place to talk about the photography and not the 'pick ups'?

just a few things made me cringe is all, especially that link to the youtube video of the pick up guy, shudder!!!

anyway, good luck to you! (y)

i think what you are doing as a way of generating business is a good idea

it's just all the posts about how to charm the people on the street I find a little self indulgent and and I don't know if you mean to or not but you are coming across a little david brent as if you are some kind of "stranger whisperer" :LOL: But people were asking how you talk to complete strangers i suppose so you were only answering them, as for other places being the place to talk about technical stuff - surely it's the other way round? being a photography forum this is the place to talk about the photography and not the 'pick ups'?

Also, this thread is hardly the place to talk about technical stuff, that kind of info can be found anywhere.

just a few things made me cringe is all, especially that link to the youtube video of the pick up guy, shudder!!!

anyway, good luck to you! (y)

I think I see where your coming from now Joe.
Not everyone is a 'people person' so don't feel bad about that, you can still have plenty of fun taking pictures of family etc. but just a cautionary note, they may get sick of that after a while.
But then that's not really an issue either, there is always the cat or dog, and when you get bored of that there's always plenty of still life to move on to, who's knows maybe get out in the open air and take some nice landscapes etc.

Anyway, good luck to you as well bud! (y)

Well done on the shots and more importantly your mindset.

Mixing Neil Strauss tactics & photography is genius.

Throw in a splash of Derren Brown performance and you'll be unstoppable ;)

Clearly what you are doing is working, so hats off to you (y)

I think I see where your coming from now Joe.
Not everyone is a 'people person' so don't feel bad about that, you can still have plenty of fun taking pictures of family etc. but just a cautionary note, they may get sick of that after a while.
But then that's not really an issue either, there is always the cat or dog, and when you get bored of that there's always plenty of still life to move on to, who's knows maybe get out in the open air and take some nice landscapes etc.

Anyway, good luck to you as well bud! (y)

looks like i hit a raw nerve .... oops :exit:

Didn't mean to offend.

I did have a picture of a cat at one point on there, it was next doors, dunno where it is now though

Stunning thread, and idea! It sounds so simple, yet few of us would dare to even attempt doing this, inc myself. But good work :clap: and as a business idea I think its bang on, have you seen many returns/results from doing this yet?

I'm in for seeing more :)

Stunning thread, and idea! It sounds so simple, yet few of us would dare to even attempt doing this, inc myself. But good work :clap: and as a business idea I think its bang on, have you seen many returns/results from doing this yet?

I'm in for seeing more :)

Most people I photograph contact me for a free watermarked picture to put on Facebook which is about 30 people so far (from my last two trips out), about 4 people have enquired about me shooting their (or someone they know) wedding next year.
1 guy enquired about me doing the photography for a menu, of the new restaurant he was opening, although I advised him I didn't do food photography.

Next on my to do list, is working out a marketing strategy to sell them the high res files to them...

I really like the idea of this, although I don't think I'm quite brave enough to go out and do it just, I think I'd like to try and do the 100 strangers one day.

I really like the photo of the homeless guy's dog. :)

I really like the idea of this, although I don't think I'm quite brave enough to go out and do it just, I think I'd like to try and do the 100 strangers one day.

I really like the photo of the homeless guy's dog. :)

Cool photos man. I like them, i don't think i could do that. Also i see your from Banbury too, might see you about :cool:

Thanks guys.
@ side5wipe, yeh you might do, I plan on doing the Banbury route about once or twice a week, because obviously it's on my doorstep, and maybe Oxford once every couple of week, but next on my list is probably Bicester village, as I'v never been there before.

Anyway, last 2 from Oxford.

11.jpg

22.jpg

Last edited:
lol, well they are all ben shermans and i was selling them as a batch, but it wasnt looking like i was gonna get more than a few pounds so i decided to store them for when my son is 18 and maybe he'd appreciate a set of vintage ben shermans that none of his friends have

I know if my dad did that for me i'd be bloody loving it!!!

we'll see!

These are fab! Sorry if this has already been answered in the thread, but what lens do you use? I know you use 1.8F aperture..

Thanks
Jordan

^^^
Thanks Jordan, I use either a 35mm 1.8G or 50mm 1.8G for these street shot's, if I was shooting full frame then I'd obviously use the 50 and the 85...

Cool! I have the 35mm and its a great lens. I just wasn't sure how close you were to the subjects!

Great thread Rhys!

I have recently started to get into asking strangers for their portraits (i won't hijack your thread but there's a couple in the first 8 or so images on my website if you can be arsed to look), i found the confidence in asking these people came from the fact i was completely comfortable with the technical side of photography being second nature, and so could fully concentrate on building instant rapport and then taking the shot. I'm a confident people person, and have never had an issue with talking to anyone (especially pretty girls!), but it's when you're out of your comfort zone photographically that you start to get a squeaky bum! I really dig your style too - and you get the emotion coming through from your pics which is paramount! Do you have a longer lens or a 60mm + macro? I think you could be really exceptional with the 70-200 2.8.

nice one lad

Great thread Rhys!

I have recently started to get into asking strangers for their portraits (i won't hijack your thread but there's a couple in the first 8 or so images on my website if you can be arsed to look), i found the confidence in asking these people came from the fact i was completely comfortable with the technical side of photography being second nature, and so could fully concentrate on building instant rapport and then taking the shot. I'm a confident people person, and have never had an issue with talking to anyone (especially pretty girls!), but it's when you're out of your comfort zone photographically that you start to get a squeaky bum! I really dig your style too - and you get the emotion coming through from your pics which is paramount! Do you have a longer lens or a 60mm + macro? I think you could be really exceptional with the 70-200 2.8.

nice one lad

Thanks Justin, I'm glad you enjoyed the thread, but please feel free to post examples of your experiences if you want to, or anyone else for that matter.

And I agree, being confident with your photography makes this task allot easier/fun, as it's going to be hard to get a positive emotional reaction from any subject let alone a stranger, if your saying "bear with me" and staring blankly at the back your camera.

I don't have a 70-200 but my 85mm is close to a 130mm which seems quite long on my D7K, it's just so far I'v only been taking 1 lens out with me as I wanted to travel as light as possible as I literally walk miles and miles during the day (helps me lose a few pounds and explore locations), but I may start taking at least a couple of lenses with me for more variation.

I liked your Chinatown shot's btw, the bokeh from the lights looks really interesting, I might have to go out in the early evening sometime to catch some portraits. Also your style isn't a million miles away from mine, especially the last wedding you did. (y)

Great thread, really interesting and also to learn about your approach.

I've only recently got into street, but one thing I noticed is that I like using a shorter lens and get instant smiles opposed to the long lens candids.

You definitely inspired me to go up and have a chat, not for business for me but the community spirit.

Great thread and allowed me to waste 35 minutes of the torturous car journey I'm on (crappy signal means LONG page loading times :LOL:).

I like your approach to this, in the sense that you're going out to take some photos, have some fun and that it'll hopefully lead to some work. I may be wrong but I don't feel that the money part is the entire reason for doing it. The day that you go out only looking to sell the photos you take of people and purely push the business will probably be the day that nobody wants to pose for you and you end up with bad shots.

In terms of the pictures themselves, I love (most of) them. Great light, subtle but effective PP and subjects who are clearly put at ease and feel comfortable.

Great thread, really interesting and also to learn about your approach.

I've only recently got into street, but one thing I noticed is that I like using a shorter lens and get instant smiles opposed to the long lens candids.

You definitely inspired me to go up and have a chat, not for business for me but the community spirit.

Brilliant stuff mate! Very well done

Best read all morning! I enjoyed your insights into how you approach your subjects; a breath of fresh air! Cheers Mandy

Great thread and allowed me to waste 35 minutes of the torturous car journey I'm on (crappy signal means LONG page loading times :LOL:).

I like your approach to this, in the sense that you're going out to take some photos, have some fun and that it'll hopefully lead to some work. I may be wrong but I don't feel that the money part is the entire reason for doing it. The day that you go out only looking to sell the photos you take of people and purely push the business will probably be the day that nobody wants to pose for you and you end up with bad shots.

In terms of the pictures themselves, I love (most of) them. Great light, subtle but effective PP and subjects who are clearly put at ease and feel comfortable.

Great staff! I like the idea as well. Not sure yet if I can do the same, as my English is second language, but I have a strong desire now to try this!(y)

All-round big props Rhys for great shots and an interesting thread. Thanks!

You must have a massive pair of kahoness, respect and well done you!

Thanks folks, not posted in a while as I am without camera at the moment as I have since sold it to a fellow member, hopefully picking up a D700 tomorrow though! :D

Great series of pics :D I do get it but unfortunately for me, I only tend to do it when I am 3 sheets to the wind and only have my little point & shoot to hand but I do have hundreds of photos of random strangers that are pure carp on my laptop :shrug:

Some great work here man. I've been wanting to try this for a while but lack the b****cks to just go and do it!! I feel i may get robbed lol, after all i would be going to Birmingham :D

M.

Some great work here man. I've been wanting to try this for a while but lack the b****cks to just go and do it!! I feel i may get robbed lol, after all i would be going to Birmingham :D

M.

I had the same exact feeling the first time I went out, so for the next time I got camera insurance. :D

Got my D700 now (thanks Graham), just waiting on some CF cards to come and my back to get better, should be some time mid next week.

Been messing around the house in preparation for my next outing so I'm 100% familiar with the controls etc.

Below is a few of my dog Kougin, he's resting up after suffering from wet eczema, he's on the mend now, but needed all his fur shaving, and to be doused in corn flower a few times a day.

Hound.jpg

Hound2.jpg

Hound3.jpg

haha I love the last one there! This has been one of the best threads I have seen to make me feel very British believe it or not. The fact you are out and about in our towns and getting great photos of people happy. Love it!

Great thread and pics.

When you are out and about, do you ask everyone you come across or do you pick and choose? I don't remember seeing any family shots with younger children in for instance. Or when you pick on groups, do you try and pick a mix of lads n lasses rather than a group of lads?

Great thread and pics.

When you are out and about, do you ask everyone you come across or do you pick and choose? I don't remember seeing any family shots with younger children in for instance. Or when you pick on groups, do you try and pick a mix of lads n lasses rather than a group of lads?

I started out pretty random, with the exception of family shot's with younger children, as I consciously avoid them, the world is a crazy place at times, and I don't want to walk around and look like I'm making excuses to take pictures of minors, after all when I approached a hairdresser, a guy shouted from across the street that my chat up line was cheesy, so people do get the wrong idea at times and I don't need that kind of mud, although I wouldn't have a problem with it, but a parent would have to approach me or it would have to be their idea, and not the other way around.

Below is an example of a family shot but that's probably the only one I'v done.

fam.jpg

Now though most of the time I pick whoever looks interesting to me, or I like the look of, and sometimes I'll pick someone just because they happen to be there.

As for groups, I prefer to approach mixed groups as you tend to get better reactions, and there are more avenues for interaction. I have approached a few all male groups before but the success rate isn't as high as with mixed groups.

Edit:

Also if someone says "No thank you", I assume the immediate radius of around 10m (depending on your location) is now junk, and I wait until I'm in an area of fresh potential subjects.
If someone witnesses someone saying 'no thank you' to me, they will assume I'm of low social value and whatever I'm approaching them for isn't rewarding or entertaining, and are more likely to brush you off without even wanting to listen to what you have to say.

Last edited:
Back