Walked in to town and back today, taking portraits of strangers...

hey Rhys - just got my d700 yesterday as well. Great camerea huh? Looking forward to seeing more of you work :)

^^^
Hey Rowan, good news on finally joining the D700 club after that ebay nightmare. :clap:
It really is a lovely camera, just loving the VF for composition and focusing accuracy.
Looking forward to seeing some of your street/model work as well with this beast of a camera. :beer:

Only went out for a few minutes today before I had to meet GF, so only managed to ring off 3 shot's...

b2.jpg

b1.jpg

b3.jpg

Rhys, on post no 30, the first portrait is extremely good, there is great light on her face, did you use a reflector?

I really like the one of the 2 guys just above. I bet they would love this as a profile pic with your watermark on!

I think they would, but they haven't emailed me so far.

Rhys, on post no 30, the first portrait is extremely good, there is great light on her face, did you use a reflector?

It's actually natural light bouncing off a white floor similar to what a really large reflector would do. I haven't done any processing to the eyes except for a hint of sharpening, the reason they are so bright is the catchlight from the floor almost covers her entire eye.

Next one

b4.jpg

Great work lad, and good idea! You've inspired me to get out into the city at some point and try it out. Probably Edinburgh though, Glasgow I might get mugged :/

Walked into a pub in town today for a change, approached who I thought was the bartender, but it was apparently the owner, I took his portrait, he gave me a free drink, I asked if it was ok to walk around and take some pictures, he said it was fine, so off I went (unfortunately I didn't have my wide angle with me, the the widest I could shoot was 50mm).

When I had finished, he offered me a free dinner, but I had to go meet GF.
Anyway, he said he liked my pictures, and might be able to put some work my way (not bar work :p).

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c9.jpg

c5.jpg

c10.jpg

Last edited:
i'm liking the barman and the accordion player a lot. They are more individual, the other shots of the strangers are starting to all look the same, same style, same kinds of backgrounds, same focal length and distance. Those last two for instance, look like the same person but ones wearing a hat.

Changing it up like that keeps it more interesting

Thanks Sarah, glad you liked them.

Below is with reference to the other thing you said, and although I don't like swearing, I like the concept (within reason), and I often think of it when I'm making a tough decision (especially the last bit of the scene).

[youtube]yQXKOxGhMuA[/youtube]

Edit:

As per JC NSFW

Last edited:
Some of these shots are fantastic.
And this thread actually made me get off my arse and go into town to try and do the same. But all I managed was to go to 3 camera shops and shoot some street entertainment.

! of them was a band and they asked me if it was ok to have the pics for sending to the paper and web use.

I will try again..

I really like the one of the 2 guys just above. I bet they would love this as a profile pic with your watermark on!

Just an update for you, started posting these pictures in facebook, and the guy on the left just sent me the below message which I thought was nice of him.
The first thing that popped in my head though, is a portrait of the owner(s) team in the buildings gutted state, and another when it's finished...

"Hello there mate,

Im heavily involved at The ..................... night club and just wondered what kind of photos you need or would like. Your more than welcome to pop up one night if you need night club images. At the moment we have the builders in renovating ....... which will be .............. on Friday 30th September. Your photos are the best i have seen in ages and whatever i can do to help you out i will. Keep up the good work.

Jimmy"

Some of these shots are fantastic.
And this thread actually made me get off my arse and go into town to try and do the same. But all I managed was to go to 3 camera shops and shoot some street entertainment.

! of them was a band and they asked me if it was ok to have the pics for sending to the paper and web use.

I will try again..

Brilliant well done love your style mate

great thread , great photo's

Cheers folks :)

love the barman shot. Do you ask them to pose? or just let them do as they please?

As a general rule most of these arn't posed at all, on occasion I may do a pose and ask the subject to mimic it, or I may ask the subject to look at their partner etc.

With the barman, I had already taken his portrait in my usual way, but then he naturally fell into that pose when we were just talking, so mid conversation I was like "hold that pose" and took another shot quickly.

Hi Rhys - that barman above hasn't moved a lot since you last shot him on the 19th August :)

Lol, some of the images are linked from my portfolio, recently juggled my portfolio around so some of the images are now mixed up.

love the barman shot. Do you ask them to pose? or just let them do as they please?

Also to help get a good expression I take the shot without any delay, if you make the person wait they get either bored or angry, then you don't have much chance in getting a good shot.

Below is the result of asking my girlfriend to take a portrait of me for my website.
Note: I gave clear instruction for each step that was needed to take a photo (sometimes more than once) which only added to my frustration.

First she couldn't grasp the concept of looking through a viewfinder, and tried to look through the viewfinder like it was a point and shoot LCD.

It was getting harder to fake a smile.

Next she couldn't understand where the focus point was, as it wasn't in the centre of the viewfinder (lot's of OOF shot's).

At this point faking a half pleasant expression was extremely difficult.

Next she just stood there looking at me through the viewfinder for ages without taking a picture, I lose patience and say "just take the damn picture" so she tries to, but says the camera won't take a picture, I then noticed she's pressing the 'mode' button and not the shutter button, I then I'v had enough and try to grab the camera back as I'm saying "Your pressing the wro..."

Below is the result...

meintantrum.jpg

Back