Wall Brown Butterfly

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
Using the 5D2 for the first time with my 70-200/2.8 IS and extension tubes (the 20 and 12 stacked if I remember) as I didn't take my macro lens away with me.

So this was a very obliging Wall Brown Butterfly. Would welcome your comments on the shallow DOF used in the first shot.

1)
4314693172_ba523249c6_o.jpg

2)
4314693182_c3a063dd10_o.jpg

Well done for getting that close. :clap:

On shot 1 you seem to have got legs and antenna reasonably in focus, which makes an interesting view given the shallow dof.

I like the backlit effect of the wings on the second one.

It's hard shooting butterflies.

Well done for getting that close. :clap:

On shot 1 you seem to have got legs and antenna reasonably in focus, which makes an interesting view given the shallow dof.

I like the backlit effect of the wings on the second one.

It's hard shooting butterflies.

Thanks for your comments - Yes I was VERY close to this butterfly, but it seemed happy enough and just kept flapping around me when it had enough of a big white lens poking at it!!

Yes, must be very hard to shoot butterflies as they just wont sit still long enough! Now if you could've got even closer... I don't want much ;)

Yes it is possible when they are dopey. I had a red admiral in my garden in September that seemed a bit "slow" at the end of the season. Photographing it was relatively easy. Could get close enough with my 55mm macro lens to get it full-frame.

It's too large to post here, but here's a linky
http://www.alexeames.com/images/DSC_4917_02.JPG

But during the summer it seems nigh on impossible to get anywhere near them without stalking very stealthily. They just seem too skittish. I've got a little speckled wood hibernating in the garage though, so hope to get some shots when that wakes up. :LOL:

Back