Wall sockets with USB power built in? Who has updated their sockets?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I saw another 'advert' for these in the recent Screwfix flyer and wondered if anyone here has updated(?) their sockets to such as these.

Now I surmise that not unlike the power bricks they are intended to replace for charging anything from iPads to phones to 'other devices' needing a charger, the power output of these will vary a tad and also the quality of the power conversion components in the sockets???

So, has anyone updated as appropriate and is there a better/best brand to buy???

TIA :)

Done some of mine, with these
BRITISH GENERAL 2-GANG SP 13A SWITCHED SOCKET + 3.1A 2-OUTLET USB CHARGER WHITE (8529P) from Screwfix, all work fine

I replaced some in the kitchen last year when I took out a wall.
I use the USB sockets a lot.

Yep, have one in the kitchen and lounge, very handy

Got several dotted around the place. 2 were very cheap (possibly 7dayshop) and the plates are a bit flexible but haven't broken and one (again, not sure of brand) which I put in at Mrs Nod's studio for phone charging doesn't supply as much power (A) as most so I replaced it with a BG 2.1A one which works better.

Thanks all for the feedback and links :)

I surmise the higher rated ones will need to dissipate the heat generated better than the lower rated ones but for sure 2.1A (or greater) rated ones would be needed to charge quicker than say a 900mA one.

But it was the heat handling aspect that struck me most of all and hence why I spoke of maker and quality of materials used? I know that the power bricks are entirely plastic housed but these are not enclosed in the wall. So as all pattresses these days seem to be made of plastic and not metal as was the case a few years back how are they constructed to cope?

I tried a 2.1A a few years ago - it took ages to charge an iphone.
The 3.1A is considerably faster.

A few years ago these sockets used to overheat, but they seem to be fine now.
I have 6 dotted around the house. As the technology is bound to change in the future it's not worth changing any more.
I bought mine from Screwfix.

For sure a 3.1A or higher(?) is needed if as mentioned the 2ports share.

About 2 years ago I bought a twin port brick charger and that is rated at 4.8A i.e. 2 x 2.4A ports. Very useful it was too when I had a company phone & tablet...... together with my personal phone I was juggling the charger and sockets.

We put 3 of these in a couple of years ago - one either side of the bed* and one in the living room.

*charge phone and watch overnight

I liked the design, you might be able to buy higher current sockets of this design I dunno, it doesn't matter to me...:)

I put in four x twin gang sockets (each with 2 USB 5V 2A charging skts). The brand is MK. Trouble free with very positive feeling rocker switches).
I no longer buy cheap skts. and switches. Had too much trouble with some of the rubbish on sale. The weak point has commonly been the actual rocker switches that eventually (often sooner rather than later) fail to operate the electrical contacts, i.e. the rocker moves, but nothing "clicks".

Just (yesterday) fitted a couple of USB sockets. Took 10 mins (even though the electrician had wired the originals down so hard it was impossible to get the wires out fo the terminals). Easy to fit and they work well, less clutter. FWIW I bought LAPs from Screwfix - cheap reliable brand that is IMO well made. Not quite the luxury feel of MK but not quite their luxury prices either :)

Also fitted a couple of sockets with wifi extenders. These were slightly awkward to set up (first one worked on WPS - second needed web browser setup). Again, they seem to be working well. WiFi in the telly room has gone from -80dB to -40 and iPlayer now works without the spinney wheel.

Hi all

I saw another 'advert' for these in the recent Screwfix flyer and wondered if anyone here has updated(?) their sockets to such as these.

Now I surmise that not unlike the power bricks they are intended to replace for charging anything from iPads to phones to 'other devices' needing a charger, the power output of these will vary a tad and also the quality of the power conversion components in the sockets???

So, has anyone updated as appropriate and is there a better/best brand to buy???

TIA :)
I sell them....check the out put current, some are quite low, only ok for phones, 2.1amp combined output over 2 usb, some are 3.1amp, 2.1 +1 amp or 3.1amp combined some 4.1Amp, check what you require before you buy.

I wouldn't bother with the changing spec and even power going through them when you can get adapters so cheaply.

You will now need USB C and much higher Amp rating than just 2 years ago. More changes are likely. My new phone even refuses to work with 3-4 year old chargers and adapters so ordered a whole lot again.

Only at locations deemed necessary:
- wall mounted single gang kitchen TV socket to allow powering chromecast.
- one on kitchen counter top allow powering a Pi display to show my solar generation and usage
- the one in under-stair cupboard to power the home automation Pi.

I think they are fine for bedside sockets, because speed isn't important. But for the charger in the kitchen or in the living room, I'd stick with the fastest plug that goes with my phone.

Just (yesterday) fitted a couple of USB sockets. Took 10 mins (even though the electrician had wired the originals down so hard it was impossible to get the wires out fo the terminals). Easy to fit and they work well, less clutter. FWIW I bought LAPs from Screwfix - cheap reliable brand that is IMO well made. Not quite the luxury feel of MK but not quite their luxury prices either :)

Also fitted a couple of sockets with wifi extenders. These were slightly awkward to set up (first one worked on WPS - second needed web browser setup). Again, they seem to be working well. WiFi in the telly room has gone from -80dB to -40 and iPlayer now works without the spinney wheel.

Update:

1. Screwfix USB sockets are working well - just got a couple more. They are currently 2 for 15 quid - bargain.
2. Wall plug wifi extenders are rubbish :( Or don't work effectively in my situation. They actually caused our network to be worse than before (weirdly TV via Firestick is better - everything else sucks). Unwired them and will take back.

Update:

1. Screwfix USB sockets are working well - just got a couple more. They are currently 2 for 15 quid - bargain.
2. Wall plug wifi extenders are rubbish :( Or don't work effectively in my situation. They actually caused our network to be worse than before (weirdly TV via Firestick is better - everything else sucks). Unwired them and will take back.

For wifi take a look at the bt whole home. Mesh network with three access points for about £160 works really well and was cheaper than the competition by quite a bit when we got ours.

For wifi take a look at the bt whole home. Mesh network with three access points for about £160 works really well and was cheaper than the competition by quite a bit when we got ours.

Thanks - just posted a thread in the tech forum asking about this. Currently Googling BT vs Google :)

We have the BT whole home mesh system, just the one black disc but wifi coverage much better now

Thanks - just posted a thread in the tech forum asking about this. Currently Googling BT vs Google :)

When I looked, unless the Google WiFi has been upgraded, the WholeHome had an extra band. And were cheaper, which was the main selling point for us tbh. Our house is quite long, and the walls are all solid with it being Victorian, but we get a really good signal throughout now, right to the back of the garden (admittedly, not a big garden)

When I looked, unless the Google WiFi has been upgraded, the WholeHome had an extra band. And were cheaper, which was the main selling point for us tbh. Our house is quite long, and the walls are all solid with it being Victorian, but we get a really good signal throughout now, right to the back of the garden (admittedly, not a big garden)

BT have Dual Band AC2600 (whatever that means) but encourage my to buy their not-yet-existing tri band AX3700. Google appears to be AC1200.

To avoid blocking this thread up can I encourage you to take a look at https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/wifi-extenders-yes-again.700956/ ? :D

Back