WAMT....what annoyed me today!

If there was a WRRAMT thread this would be in it. ie...'What really, really, annoyed me today'

Not long back from Cribbs Causeway, Bristol. A huge shopping Mall. We went to the Sushi bar..my wife loves sushi. For those not familiar with these places you sit on a stool (people either side) of a conveyor belt on which are various bowls of Japanese food and you just take one as it passes. The delicious Miso soup..Wakame seaweed ..has to be ordered. The bowls are coloured according to price. Not long after we sat down a lady,in her 40's, comes in and, fortunately, sat three seats away from us on the opposite side. We'd have moved if she's been opposite us. After she'd chosen her dishes off the belt she got on her mobile phone and chatted, whilst eating, for about 10 minutes, not even in a very low voice, not that that's acceptable either other than eg... a super quick.."I'm here call". We were relieved when she stopped but that relief was short-lived. After a short time she's back on it. Grrrr!. These phones can be so annoying. I was on a train from Portsmouth one day and three young men got on..about 20/21 years olds. One, a tall loud-mouthed individual,got on his phone and spoke very loudly. Would you believe it ?? He saw people giving him the daggers and said, very loudly of course and grinning from ear to ear...."I think I'm annoying quite a few people here speaking loudly"..and continued to do so with his mates laughing.

Must add this one too. Same scenario. This time from Paddington to Gloucester. Just one young man but once again very loud. It was First Class too. A lady was opposite me and this young man three seats behind us. The train left the station. 15 minutes went by and he's still on the phone having a great conversation. The lady and I exchanged 'eyes to the roof' look. The ticket inspector came round. The young man handed his ticket to him. Fantastic..Lol. Ticket collector: "You're going to Slough ? ". Young man, "Yes" TC.."You're on the wrong train..you'll have to change at Reading" The lady and I exchanged such a happy smile of delight and when the lad got off I said to her "Couldn't have happened to a better person" We were overjoyed.

....and lastly, utter rudeness. Down in the city on Market day I was standing at the Thai stall. Thai food being another favourite of my wife's but tastes like soap to me. It's the coriander (cilantro in the US)- see below link-very interesting. It's about your olfactory-receptor genes..So...Two ladies run it..Thai's. A young man..20's again.. was being served but he was on his mobile phone.. He was asked if he wanted ,whatever, with it..he stopped talking for a sec and answered the lady. He carried on .She asked him about something else to be added..or not... and he did the same. The order completed she passed it to him .I can't recall what he did with it but he continued his conversation whilst getting a £10 pound note out of his pocket and handing it to the lady who passed his change to him. He took it, didn't say thank you but carried on talking and walked off.. still talking.

The coriander link https://www.nature.com/news/soapy-taste-of-coriander-linked-to-genetic-variants-1.11398

He took it, didn't say thank you but carried on talking and walked off.. still talking.
There's a notice in my local shop.

"We know how important your call is to you"
"Therefore we won't interrupt your call by serving you, while you are on the phone"

"I think I'm annoying quite a few people here speaking loudly"
A few years back I was on an Intercity train when something similar happened. I happened to be on the other side of the aisle but being a prize coward I just turned my iPod up and tried to ignore him. Nonetheless I got a ringside view of the two very large gentlemen in very sharp suits getting up from the seat behind Noisy. With Bonnie Tyler getting Lost in France I couldn't hear what was said but one of the very large gentlemen wagged a large forefinger under Noisy's nose and Noisy put his phone away in his pocket. The 2 large gentlemen got off at the next station but Noisy sat very quietly all the way into King's Cross. Sometimes you get lucky.
:banana:

Whatever happened to choosing the best, regardless of sex??? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48668652

As I read this I wished that I couldn't believe it but these days there are no limits...

Think of all of the writing partnerships and teams that would be ignored or branded sexist by this stupid decision.

PS.
I've just watched the England ladies footie team beat Japan 2-0 and I'm appalled that neither team included any men at all. Who can I complain to and who can I sue?

As I read this I wished that I couldn't believe it but these days there are no limits...

Think of all of the writing partnerships and teams that would be ignored or branded sexist by this stupid decision.

PS.
I've just watched the England ladies footie team beat Japan 2-0 and I'm appalled that neither team included any men at all. Who can I complain to and who can I sue?

Well Blackadder for a start. And how wrong were Monty Python being a group of guys!!

Website pop-ups. Not the advertising kind. Stuff like:
  • wanting to use cookies (and then you have to go through the rigamarole of rejecting all of them)
  • wanting me to log in for a "better experience". Even the BBC News website is at this now.
  • wanting me to sign up or register for some discount or benefit.
If I want to do these things I will. But they take up so much screen space on a smartphone that it deters me from visiting some sites.

Website pop-ups. Not the advertising kind. Stuff like:
  • wanting to use cookies (and then you have to go through the rigamarole of rejecting all of them)
  • wanting me to log in for a "better experience". Even the BBC News website is at this now.
  • wanting me to sign up or register for some discount or benefit.
If I want to do these things I will. But they take up so much screen space on a smartphone that it deters me from visiting some sites.
Yes I agree it’s a pain I just automatically go back out when that happens and I don’t think I should have to give out my email address to be able to view a news page

Yes I agree it’s a pain I just automatically go back out when that happens and I don’t think I should have to give out my email address to be able to view a news page
They can insist that you do just that and you can refuse. The point is that they're cutting off their nose to spite their face and I reckon that eventually it'll show up in their profit reports.

They can insist that you do just that and you can refuse. The point is that they're cutting off their nose to spite their face and I reckon that eventually it'll show up in their profit reports.
Yes that’s what I was trying to say all that happens is that I won’t view their site

Another moan but first off the above naffs me off too and I won't give my Email addresss..not to Halfords either..so they can send my receipt. "Got a problem with the till roll ,have you ?..I say. Quite a few shops ask if you want your receipt Emailing. I suppose some people just give it without questioning it. Receipt must be one of the strangest spellings in our language. 10 strange ones here including receipt http://mentalfloss.com/article/13076/11-weirdly-spelled-words—and-how-they-got-way

So my moan. I was standing on the platform at Bath Spa station this afternoon and the announcer said.."Would customers please ensure they stand behind the yellow line for their own safety" Customers ?? We're passengers. We're not customers on aircraft we're passengers so why do the 'privatised' railway companies think they need to change it ? It sounds as stupid as it is. Corporate-speak I'm told. I'm sure those announcers who are obliged to say it think it's barmy too. I just don't understand the value of it,probably because there isn't any.They also have a fancy name for the staff that come round with the food/drink trolley when one is available. It's slipped my mind what it is but one of them told me what it was and said that she thought it was stupid too.

What a t***!!!

https://lnkd.in/gkUSxii

Seriously, what is it with Vegans???
And they claim they are being bullied because they have to handle milk?
So where does this fit in with their little tantrum?
And in Brighton, diners were left reeling after vegans wearing chicken masks stormed a Nando's to play them footage of birds being slaughtered.

The Great Spaghetti Monster has spoken to them and told them they are the chosen people. So there...

:coat:

Another moan but first off the above naffs me off too and I won't give my Email addresss..not to Halfords either..so they can send my receipt. "Got a problem with the till roll ,have you ?..I say. Quite a few shops ask if you want your receipt Emailing. I suppose some people just give it without questioning it. Receipt must be one of the strangest spellings in our language. 10 strange ones here including receipt http://mentalfloss.com/article/13076/11-weirdly-spelled-words—and-how-they-got-way

So my moan. I was standing on the platform at Bath Spa station this afternoon and the announcer said.."Would customers please ensure they stand behind the yellow line for their own safety" Customers ?? We're passengers. We're not customers on aircraft we're passengers so why do the 'privatised' railway companies think they need to change it ? It sounds as stupid as it is. Corporate-speak I'm told. I'm sure those announcers who are obliged to say it think it's barmy too. I just don't understand the value of it,probably because there isn't any.They also have a fancy name for the staff that come round with the food/drink trolley when one is available. It's slipped my mind what it is but one of them told me what it was and said that she thought it was stupid too.

You will be saying next that the Refuse and recycling technicians are just bin-men!!!

I have to disagree on the email front - I find it so much more useful to have an email copy of the receipt, means I can't lose it!!!

You're playing for the railway journey... you're a customer.

That particular vegan issue is a non starter.
They don't need legal exemption from tea rounds because they're not legally compelled to be part of a tea round in the first place.

Clearly journalism was having a slow day.

You will be saying next that the Refuse and recycling technicians are just bin-men!!!

I have to disagree on the email front - I find it so much more useful to have an email copy of the receipt, means I can't lose it!!!

Lol.Never heard of those. Refuse/Recycling Technicians . Refuse disposal officers.I've heard of them.Technician is pushing it a bit,though.

You'll enjoy reading this list then..The nurses' new title took me aback.https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7552252/The-top-ten-most-ridiculous-job-titles.html

I have a large,very large, envelope for important receipts and for electrical items I put the receipt in the box which goes into the garage attic over the guarantee period but I'd rather do it that way than pay the price of convenience, as useful as it is, only to be bombarded with offers. Receipts are important if an insurance claim is submitted..eg for a burglary or a fire. Of course, they'd have to be in a metal box (re fire)..so I guess on your computer is a good way...but all that advertising. Swings and roundabouts,I suppose.

Lol.Never heard of those. Refuse/Recycling Technicians . Refuse disposal officers.I've heard of them.Technician is pushing it a bit,though.

You'll enjoy reading this list then..The nurses' new title took me aback.https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7552252/The-top-ten-most-ridiculous-job-titles.html

I have a large,very large, envelope for important receipts and for electrical items I put the receipt in the box which goes into the garage attic over the guarantee period but I'd rather do it that way than pay the price of convenience, as useful as it is, only to be bombarded with offers. Receipts are important if an insurance claim is submitted..eg for a burglary or a fire. Of course, they'd have to be in a metal box (re fire)..so I guess on your computer is a good way...but all that advertising. Swings and roundabouts,I suppose.

Well, I will use my email for some stuff, reputable places like John lewis (easy to unsubscribe and not get lots of offers) but for other stuff I may buy I simply use a gmail account (which i use as my spam one when i need to sign up for something)

Doesn't matter what you call them, they're damned important people. Just look at what happens to any city if they go on strike!

You're playing for the railway journey... you're a customer.

We'll have to agree to differ then. It's always been 'passenger' if it involves transport. It's probably why airlines haven't gone the same way..Cruise ships have passengers too. In both cases you are paying so payment isn't the criteria that decides the term to be used.

Doesn't matter what you call them, they're damned important people. Just look at what happens to any city if they go on strike!

Indeedy..Who could disagree ? In the old days my dad gave them a christmas tip but that's gone by the wayside these days. I also don't like the way the private companies..I think these services are all in private hands now.. draw up a collection timetable that makes the men..it's usually men.. run. I've seen ours running, or at least walking, at speed and they don't have time place the bin back where they were put. One day our wheelie bin was given a hefty push leaving it to run on its wheels towards the place on the grass verge where I'd placed as he ran back to the lorry cab and on up the road. The bin fell to the ground.

We'll have to agree to differ then. It's always been 'passenger' if it involves transport. It's probably why airlines haven't gone the same way..Cruise ships have passengers too. In both cases you are paying so payment isn't the criteria that decides the term to be used.
And in both of those cases, by definition, you are also a customer.
By the same token, someone availing themselves of private healthcare is addressed as a patient, but they are also a customer.

Ah, so the fare dodging non-customers should stay in front of the yellow line and get froggered. (y)
I have no idea what froggered means, but as they're criminals, they should be, oh I don't know, arrested? (y) :)

Ah, so the fare dodging non-customers should stay in front of the yellow line and get froggered. (y)
Brilliant! I've learned a new word today. I love the way the English language allows new words to be created.

@viv1969 - it's a reference to the 1980s arcade game Frogger. It's lots of fun and highly addictive. You can find versions of it to play online or on your phone. Give it a quick whirl and you'll understand the reference after you've stopped laughing.

Last edited:
Brilliant! I've learned a new word today. I love the way the English language allows new words to be created.

@viv1969 - it's a reference to the 1980s arcade game Frogger. It's lots of fun and highly addictive. You can find versions of it to play online or on your phone. Give it a quick whirl and you'll understand the reference after you've stopped laughing.
Oh....I'm definitely of an age to remember the game. :D

I won't give my Email addresss..not to Halfords either..so they can send my receipt.
That reminds me, I got caught like that once, followed by a lot of spam.
It also more amazes me, than annoys me, now that these "sites" have to show cookie purpose, the amount of actual s*** that "you" would have been signing into.
Had you not had the option to opt out.

That's another thing that annoys me, opt out, rather than "opt in"
from minor stuff to the insurance companies, etc, that want to do me a massive favour by renewing for me, without me having to do "anything"

I do chuckle however, when that "Card" that I used the previous year has actually expired before the next renewal, and they "complain" by letter
that they have been trying to "reach me" by LL phone, ah yes that one, the one that actually doesn't have a hand set connected.
That'll be why then :D

And in both of those cases, by definition, you are also a customer.
Talking of customers ...

fb.jpg

What a t***!!!

https://lnkd.in/gkUSxii

Where I work, like other places I should imagine, it is tradition to get the cakes in on your birthday. I don't eat cakes because of some ingredients can antagonize my psoriasis, as well as being obsessive about eating a healthy diet anyway. I still get the cakes in on my birthday, plus I get some fresh fruit as well which has proved to be quite popular among some of my workmates and look forward to the extra choice. Most know I don't eat cakes and some have started also supplying fruit as well as cakes. I don't feel excluded or bullied if some don't buy something I can eat, I don't really expect to be catered for to be honest.
Perhaps I ought to complain about the 4 vending machines right next to my work area, other than the bottled water or the occasional apple, there is nothing I would buy, or I can just happily continue to take my own food and drink into work. My choice of diet doesn't make me feel excluded or bullied. I just get on with my day.

Another story on the news this morning about northern powerhouse, all about Manchester and the area around it FFS it's not even the middle of the country it's in the southern half.:ROFLMAO:

Where I work, like other places I should imagine, it is tradition to get the cakes in on your birthday.
It's quite common in my experience and as a contractor I worked at more than 40 sites in my time. If I happened to be somewhere I liked the people I'd 'fess up and bring in the cakes but a lot of the time I just kept my mouth shut. That ability to stay on the outside is one of the things I really liked about not being a permanent employee.

FFS it's not even the middle of the country it's in the southern half.
Its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up North, to the point of "there be Dragons here" :p

Its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up North, to the point of "there be Dragons here"

Now I understand geography is not your strong point living south of the Watford Gap, I know you're not to blame it's all the false news and lies perpetuated by reporters and politicians that make you think that the country ends there, but if you do a little research you will find they have been lying to you all along, and as for the dragons their about 40 leagues to the west.

Manchester is most certainly North, trust me I've been there, they speak funny! ( but just about translatable )
And as for the time I worked up in Peterhead, Well, I may as well have been working in the Congo, due to the language barrier!
Plus I was advised by the HR to go see my Dr. For the appropriate "Shots" :p

and as for the dragons their about 40 leagues to the west.
:LOL:

Manchester is most certainly North, trust me I've been there, they speak funny! ( but just about translatable )
And as for the time I worked up in Peterhead, Well, I may as well have been working in the Congo, due to the language barrier!
Plus I was advised by the HR to go see my Dr. For the appropriate "Shots"

I know the feeling on my expeditions south I often pass though Manchester and they do speak funny but I can normally decipher enough to get the gist, but once past Birmingham it's an interpreter all the way. As for Peterhead all I can say is your employers must really dislike you I hope you had extra insurance.

but once past Birmingham it's an interpreter all the way
:LOL:
As for Peterhead all I can say is your employers must really dislike you I hope you had extra insurance.
Yes to both :D

Actually to be fair all the natives I came across were friendly, ( save one) the couple that owned the Small B&B that I stayed at, were brilliant.
And its true, "you lot" really do say Och aye (y)
"he" would take a swig of tea, while cooking my breakfast, and with each swig, would utter the immortal words :D

Another moan but first off the above naffs me off too and I won't give my Email addresss..not to Halfords either..so they can send my receipt.
I have receipts for tools I bought from Halfords in case they ever needed replacing. I had a look at the them the other day and the ink's faded completely. An email doesn't take up space and won't fade.

Back