WAMT....what annoyed me today!

We've always had ok service from Virgin so it possibly comes down to how good or bad the staff are in your area.

Hope it gets sorted, on time this time.

cheers

it's always been a bit of a mixed bag round these parts and one of the reasons iv'e stuck with BT but 360Mbit bandwidth cheaper than BT can supply me 80Mbit has made me jump ship

hopefully all will be well on monday

cheers

it's always been a bit of a mixed bag round these parts and one of the reasons iv'e stuck with BT but 360Mbit bandwidth cheaper than BT can supply me 80Mbit has made me jump ship

hopefully all will be well on monday

Personally I wouldn't touch vermin media with a barge pole, they are no better than a now defunct ISP, Tiscali (although they were bought out by another useless mob who have been fined three times for security breaches).
Plusnet who are owned by BT are cheaper and in my case, my infinity 2 with BT was 55mbps and its 74mbps it's with Plusnet.

Personally I wouldn't touch vermin media with a barge pole, they are no better than a now defunct ISP, Tiscali (although they were bought out by another useless mob who have been fined three times for security breaches).
Plusnet who are owned by BT are cheaper and in my case, my infinity 2 with BT was 55mbps and its 74mbps it's with Plusnet.

i know a couple of people with virgin media broadband and they seem to get along with it ok
cable in this area has changed hands a few times over the years from nynex to NTL and now Virgin, although customer service has always left a lot to be desired broadband seems to be more reliable nowadays ( when they finally fit the damn thing :( )

on BT infinity 2 i get sync speeds of 72.8mbps down and 20mbps up costing me 58 quid a month with virgin i expect to get 365mbps down and 31mbps up costing me 49 quid a month, the green junction box is next to my back wall it couldn't be any closer so there should be no issue with distance to the box etc.

at that price for so much bandwidth iv'e got to give it a try :)

I'm with Virgin but only because the previous owners were with Virgin. The BT phone line would need to be reconnected (£140) and then I'd need to pay line rental (£16 a month) on top of broadband cost. Currently, it's cheaper to stick with Virgin.

Service reasonably okay but not rock solid. I've had issues last year with broadband going down in the early morning eg 5-6am. Sometimes a router reboot wroks and sometimes it doesn't. I've now switched to a separate router and left the Virgin router in modem mode only. Wifi is now better and no dropped connections.

Not so much annoyed me as life goes on, survival of the fittest and all that ....

I saw a red admiral land on my pond netting earlier, I thought I'd get closer for a better look, as I've not seen one this year.
It was struggling to stay up-right in the strong breeze and was hanging up side down. Just as I got there
Ole froggy came out the floating plants and with a leap and a twist Dick Fosbury would be proud of,
lunch was served!

Selecting the pick up option for a dpd delivery today to be informed next day after 12pm.

Well I think its funny but then some will consider it racist!
I don't think it's funny but I don't see they've anything to complain about either. Amazing how many snowflakes you come across during the summer,,, :sulk:

I have a double annoyment today...

Lots of basic stuff seems to be very hard to find in the shops in my area. I searched for ages for a glass vinegar bottle a while ago and recently I've been looking for an oven glove and a table cloth. All oven gloves in the shops seem to be silicone but I want a fabric one and table cloths seem to be mostly plastic but I want a fabric one, actually the one I want to replace is a rather thick one, not blanket thick but thicker than the paper thin cotton ones. Anyway, they're mostly nowhere to be seen and so far I've only found a grey table cloth in ASDA which depressed me too much to buy it.

So, I'm annoyed that really basic stuff is hard to find in the shops so I have to look online and that brings me to my next annoyance, stupid search results...

Why on Gods earth do Amazon get from oven glove or table cloth to 100" projection screen or a pack of coloured cable ties?

I'm annoyed that I have to wade through the completely bizarre and I'm annoyed that whoever set the search up hasn't been booted out of a 10th story window and replaced with someone who actually knows what they're doing :mad:

and replaced with someone who actually knows what they're doing :mad:
Why employ someone who knows what they're doing when for half the money (or less) you can employ someone who has no idea but "lots of get up and go"? I got out of IT when I realised my get up and go had got up and gone, largely due to the frustrations of dealing with wizz kids who were "full of vim" leaving no room for thought.

:tumbleweed:

My thing was hardware. Over the years I saw skills slide and whilst it's true that these days you can't fix a lot of stuff to the level I did knowing how stuff works helps when fault finding to board or unit level. I saw so many people who just didn't have enough knowledge to do the job efficiently. To an extent I blame management as there doesn't seem to be a lot of supervision and checking these days and there seem to be few consequences for not knowing what you're doing or even screwing things up big time. After leaving the computer industry I was involved in product testing and compliance and I saw some real howlers due to people apparently not knowing what they were doing.

I view software the same, it's all stuff that can be designed and implemented well or badly and checked and tested thoroughly or not and I see no excuse for unrelated stuff coming so high in the search results or in fact appearing in the results at all. This is the sort of stuff that IMO should be picked up on and in my day with hardware/product issues I'd have been sat in front of someone asking direct questions :D

My thing was hardware.
I started out on hardware and drifted into software too. I think it was relatively common for those of us who started in the late 1970s.

Why on Gods earth do Amazon get from oven glove or table cloth to 100" projection screen or a pack of coloured cable ties?
I suspect Amazon product pages have an equivalent to the (now effectively defunct) html meta keywords tag, and sellers are spamming the f*** out of it.

To an extent I blame management...
I think it's down to HR expanding their turf, and justifying their existence. IT need a CCNA? That person will be interviewed and appointed by people with backgrounds in business administration. I know of a total muppet who got a job with the company his friend worked for by talking Dr Who level technobabble to the interview team; They'd been given the questions by IT, together with a tick list of keywords to listen for, and the interviewee who ticked the most boxes was generally the one who'd be offered the job. Irrelevant/incorrect info was not a contra-indicator, it just wouldn't tick any boxes.

When I joined one of the largest 'Global IT suppliers' in the 1970s the company philosophy then was that its employees were its greatest asset. By the 1990s the accountants got control of the company and they regarded long serving senior experienced employees as 'overhead costs' so they embarked upon a programme of getting rid of the 'oldies' & replacing them with much cheaper bright young things who knew 'everything' but had experience of 'nothing'. This significantly undermined the companies ability to charge a premium for providing skills & experience, hitting the balance sheet hard. I was glad to leave in 2002 when I was offered early retirement at 50. I soon got bored being retired so I got a job managing a school IT network for a further 11 years, dealing with 900 'inquisitive' students with far more IT skills & curiosity than their teachers was a challenge.

I've got Madness' "Our House" stuck in my head. Yesterday it was "House of Fun".

Sat on my Ray Ban sunglasses, they broke

I feel your pain I dropped my Oakley's a few months ago (there a discontinued line) and chipped the lenses, I tried various replacements and in the end had to order ones from Oz to get a good match.

Nearly every time I have used the scan and shop in Tesco recently I get flagged for a random check, today it was a full check.
They have yet to find anything I haven't scanned.
I use them to get out quicker, theses days it slows things up no end, especially when you have to wait
for an assistant to come and do the check, they always seems to prefer chatting amongst themselves

Blasted power outage for 30 mins - whole area too :(

Now going to have to reset all my clocks :(

Kidney stones.
Basically spent the weekend in absolute agony, first time I've ever called 999. Went in for the operation yesterday to laser one out of my wee pipe which was blocking it up. Now weeing what feels like acid. And I appear to have a fishing line coming out of my manservant which I believe is attached to a stent to allow the smaller ones room to move. I'm dreading the moment that gets pulled out! It'll probably feel like there's a cod on the end!

Top bananas to the nursing staff here though, Peterborough city, the amount of crap I've seen them put up with over the last few days would test the patience of a saint. Pay rises all round.

Commiserations on the kidney stones.

Liked for the final paragraph.

Nearly every time I have used the scan and shop in Tesco recently I get flagged for a random check, today it was a full check.
I use them to get out quicker, theses days it slows things up no end, especially when you have to wait
for an assistant to come and do the check, they always seems to prefer chatting amongst themselves

You must look dodgy [emoji83]

Do you then have to unpack stuff and repack it all? Sounds like a right faff if you have 5 or 6 bags with lots of small bits in.

You must look dodgy
emoji83.png
Oh you have no idea ......

:D

Do you then have to unpack stuff and repack it all? Sounds like a right faff if you have 5 or 6 bags with lots of small bits in.

No whoever is doing the scanning does it, if I let them !!
Last time I did I ended up with loads of stuff mangled up because he did take care
repacking :banghead:

Oh you have no idea ......

:D

Ha Bloody ha, :bat::p

My wife bought some “Ray Bans” when we were in Turkey recently. Cost all of £4. My son spotted today that the logo actually says “Roy Bon” :D:D
Pmsl....hardly likely to actually say Ray Ban, were they?
Canny Turk, covering his arse. :)

People who tell you they've got diarrhoea right after you shake hands and ask how they are.

Like WTF?!?!?!

Wow. I didn't even know that was a thing. Tantamount to accusing you of shoplifting. Not sure how I would feel if it was me.

Never had all the shopping checked when I've used Scan and Shop at Tesco, but fairly frequently have a few items checked. It is no bother and adds a lot less time than going through a normal checkout.

Unfortunately not everyone is honest so they have to check.

Dave

Wow. I didn't even know that was a thing. Tantamount to accusing you of shoplifting. Not sure how I would feel if it was me.

Not really, I suspect that a few people do add things they haven't scanned either on purpose or accidently
I always make sure I scan everything so not been a problem except for time wasting

Never had all the shopping checked when I've used Scan and Shop at Tesco, but fairly frequently have a few items checked. It is no bother and adds a lot less time than going through a normal checkout.

I've a had few items checked loads of times that doesn't take long, but when they unpack everything you have carefully
packed it does add a fair bit of time, fortunately I'd only done a small shop , but imagine some of these people you see with a trolley full, perhaps that's why the pick on me ;)

People who tell you they've got diarrhoea right after you shake hands and ask how they are.

Like WTF?!?!?!
Well at least you are aware and can now wash your hands. They could have just shook your hand and left you none the wiser. ;)

Bloody OPT OUT! it should be illegal!
When this work place pensions scheme came to my employer, it seems it was 3 years ago. I opted out in plenty of time and following the correct procedure.
The pension company still managed to accidentally ( :rolleyes: ) take 2 payments. Ok so it was 10's £ not 100's £
But imagine how many people they did that too, and the amount of money that ended up in their account for 3 months!

It now seems that as its been 3 years, they are "obliged" to ask me again, well that is I will need to OPT OUT yet again.

FFS! didn't they get the idea last time?
/Poised for a 3 month battle yet again!

It's really not.
In the Ts & Cs when you sign up, they reserve the right to question, partially check and fully check your items.

Pulled into the disabled parking area at Bedford hospital this morning behind an NHS liveried van. Spotted an empty bay (cue the internal celebrations as these are like hens'b teeth) only for the van to park in it! Noticed another bay also had an NHS van in it!

It's really not.
In the Ts & Cs when you sign up, they reserve the right to question, partially check and fully check your items.

I was talking about how it would make you feel and how other shoppers would view it.

Pulled into the disabled parking area at Bedford hospital this morning behind an NHS liveried van. Spotted an empty bay (cue the internal celebrations as these are like hens'b teeth) only for the van to park in it! Noticed another bay also had an NHS van in it!
Would it be retrospectively okay if the NHS van driver was run over by an irate blus badge holder?

I was talking about how it would make you feel and how other shoppers would view it.

It's an everyday thing, no one really takes a lot of notice.
In my local Tesco, if they find a discrepancy they take you away from the tills
to to recheck it.
How do I know ? It happened to my daughter, she picked up the wrong flavour of yoghourt
and just changed it without removing the first one from the scanner and rescanning the new one,
She won't do that again :)

Last edited:

I don't know how others feel about Scan and Shop spot checks but it doesn't bother me at all. I never feel the staff think I'm a thief, its just a check.

I don't think other shoppers view those who are checked as dodgy.

Dave

Back