WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Phoned the breakdown folks, and they got a mobile tyre guy out, but I had to wait several hours for him to get to me.
Finger tap.gif

Finally got home early this morning.

Had that often when I drove a van, pain was, we weren't allowed to carry spares so had no option but to wait
and then get moaned at.
Mind you aren't they quick once they get to you ?

Stop/Go lights outside my house and drilling racket for a new zebra crossing up the road a bit
Lived here twenty years and hardly ever seen anyone cross there, no reason to.
Yet at the end of the road where people need to cross to get into town, nothing.
My poor old ma got killed crossing the road there and despite my repeated protestations got told no.
Main reason is it would hold up traffic when people cross, f*** it just run them over instead then.

Last edited:
Does anyone else get a bit annoyed when the flyer delivery people push the advertising leaflets through the letter box and then walk across the lawn to the next drive ? We’re open plan. The postie never does it. I expect they’re told not to.

Well all the lovely sunny weather had to clear, as today it is high winds and rain here.

No idea where you are..apart from Earth,the Universe..lol but if you think Saturday was bad, tonight into tomorrow will be severe. Storm Francis.

Stop/Go lights outside my house and drilling racket for a new zebra crossing up the road a bit
Lived here twenty years and hardly ever seen anyone cross there, no reason to.
Yet at the end of the road where people need to cross to get into town, nothing.
My poor old ma got killed crossing the road there and despite my repeated protestations got told no.
Main reason is it would hold up traffic when people cross, f*** it just run them over instead then.

That’s a sad read :(

There must be reasons why it’s being sited outside your home rather than where you think it would be more appropriate Ie..at the end of your road which must be a junction. Maybe that’s why. I did wonder what the criteria is for a crossing. I found this.

No idea where you are..apart from Earth,the Universe..
Going of some of his posts, Planet Dave population 1 (y)
:D

tonight into tomorrow will be severe.
I'm working just outside Stoke on Trent tomorrow. I've checked the weather forecast,
I guess I'm getting wet :rolleyes:
A change of clothes is a requirement Tomorrow ( Tues) :(

Its lose as in the opposite of win, not loose. Lost count of how many times i've seen this lately

What is going wrong these days, even the BBC are now saying "train" stations

Drove home from work earlier and let two cars through at a set of roadworks with no lights, and neither of them gave a nod wink or thank you, this really really gets under my skin :mad::mad:

Does anyone else get a bit annoyed when the flyer delivery people push the advertising leaflets through the letter box and then walk across the lawn to the next drive ? We’re open plan. The postie never does it. I expect they’re told not to.
Yes John posties are told these days, it used to be the norm years ago but when I last did a delivery on foot about 15yrs ago they warned against it, guess having a 6ft 2 lump piling through your privets was frowned upon.

When folks say of instead of off....:LOL:
Damn! that should have been "going on"
That'll teach me not to proof read
:p

and neither of them gave a nod wink or thank you,
If that happens I always raise a hand and say "Thanks for making me wait"
I doubt they can lip read, but it makes me feel better :D

Ok, how about threaten to cut the grass, wash the car, oil your cricket bat..... have a BBQ.... all known for bringing on rain......

Nice one..(y) ...:ROFLMAO: I can add..putting the washing out to dry. :D .

We’re getting some impressive cloud structures here ahead of Francis. Just done a garden check for any objects that might take off. BBQ brought in as the cover is likely to be blown off. Damaging winds forecast here..60mph. They get funnelled up the Bristol Channel

"Going forward" gets up my nose when it is used to mean "in future".

It can be worse than that.. I’ve heard on more than one occasion..”Going forward into the future” and it’s cousin..” looking back into history”...:D

The "Amazon" telephone scams really are insidious. Just had an automated call to thank me for placing an order, that £399 has been charged to my card and a new iPhone 7 will be dispatched to me tomorrow. If I didn't make such a purchase, I should press 1 to speak to "Amazon". Assuming that pressing 1 connects you to an extremely expensive premium number, I do wonder how many actually fall for it.

I do wonder how many actually fall for it

Sadly, enough to make it worth their while doing it, otherwise they wouldn't bother. I had weeks of scam calls, sometimes half a dozen a day, mainly the 'Amazon' account one but a few others too. It's all gone quiet again now. There's nothing you can do to stop them and they spam the number so they can't be blocked. I have caller ID and don't answer any suspect number but I still have to reject the call and it's very annoying when you're working and trying to concentrate ('very' is the ultra polite translation of what I'd like to say). Still, better than several years ago when scammers obviously hadn't mastered the concept of time zones and I had a couple of junk calls in the middle of the night. Fortunately that stopped very quickly. Makes me contemplate unplugging the land line as they never get me on the mobile, but the mobile signal here isn't reliable enough.

The "Amazon" telephone scams really are insidious. Just had an automated call to thank me for placing an order, that £399 has been charged to my card and a new iPhone 7 will be dispatched to me tomorrow. If I didn't make such a purchase, I should press 1 to speak to "Amazon". Assuming that pressing 1 connects you to an extremely expensive premium number, I do wonder how many actually fall for it.

It's not that sophisticated as I did press 1 after numerous calls, they basically try to get remote access to your computer, the normal is 1 if you did order the item normally a high end mobile and 2 if not, I haven't pressed 2 yet but after pressing 1 and saying that I had place the order and could I up my order to 6 they hung up so I suppose I won't be getting a new phone.

I'm sure it does, but I have a fairly recent multiple handset phone and I don't see why some low life with no morals at all should force me to spend my hard earned cash replacing it prematurely.

Fair enough, it obviously doesn't bother you that much then. :rolleyes:

Sadly, enough to make it worth their while doing it, otherwise they wouldn't bother. I had weeks of scam calls, sometimes half a dozen a day, mainly the 'Amazon' account one but a few others too. It's all gone quiet again now. There's nothing you can do to stop them and they spam the number so they can't be blocked. I have caller ID and don't answer any suspect number but I still have to reject the call and it's very annoying when you're working and trying to concentrate ('very' is the ultra polite translation of what I'd like to say). Still, better than several years ago when scammers obviously hadn't mastered the concept of time zones and I had a couple of junk calls in the middle of the night. Fortunately that stopped very quickly. Makes me contemplate unplugging the land line as they never get me on the mobile, but the mobile signal here isn't reliable enough.

I do wonder why people get so many of these calls because we seldom get them on our landline. We have had them but I can’t recall when the last one was. The calling number is displayed so we don’t answer them then I go on to ‘who called me?’ Maybe it’s because our number is ex-directory but it’s well out there by now. My wife was concerned about me going out photographing or just to town without a mobile so a few years ago she gave me her old one,she’s now given me a new one ..last year...and insists I take it. No doubt the old one was as a result of me slipping on the steep nearby hill at 4.00am one morning a few years ago..photographing a planet conjunction with the moon. I had a heavy back pack on plus the tripod.My leg went under me..very painful, had to lie in the mud for several minutes to get my mojo back. No dog-walkers there until about 7.00am. No-one has the new mobile number..not even me.. Couldn’t tell you what it is.:D.

I do wonder why people get so many of these calls because we seldom get them on our landline. We have had them but I can’t recall when the last one was. The calling number is displayed so we don’t answer them then I go on to ‘who called me?’ Maybe it’s because our number is ex-directory but it’s well out there by now. My wife was concerned about me going out photographing or just to town without a mobile so a few years ago she gave me her old one,she’s now given me a new one ..last year...and insists I take it. No doubt the old one was as a result of me slipping on the steep nearby hill at 4.00am one morning a few years ago..photographing a planet conjunction with the moon. I had a heavy back pack on plus the tripod.My leg went under me..very painful, had to lie in the mud for several minutes to get my mojo back. No dog-walkers there until about 7.00am. No-one has the new mobile number..not even me.. Couldn’t tell you what it is.:D.
Why do you think no one has the mobile number? Firstly, it was probably someone else’s before you, secondly the spam machines probably dial sequential ‘likely’ numbers’. They are not necessarily targeting you personally :(.

The numbers I get go up and down. Used to get a lot around 6pm but recently very few. I have to answer ‘withhelds’ because those are usually the hospital or GP and, at least it used to be, the Police :(.

Why do you think no one has the mobile number? Firstly, it was probably someone else’s before you, secondly the spam machines probably dial sequential ‘likely’ numbers’. They are not necessarily targeting you personally :(.

The numbers I get go up and down. Used to get a lot around 6pm but recently very few. I have to answer ‘withhelds’ because those are usually the hospital or GP and, at least it used to be, the Police :(.

Ok..I’ll check ‘missed calls’ (y)

By coincidence I’ve just received an SMS text “To retrieve your voicemail from Kerry please call (number removed) or email help at lgstconsult.com to opt out marketing calls cost £6 plus std net rate“
(I’ve removed the number and @ just in case) Never heard of Kerry or lgst and the number shows up as common scam call, mostly referring to “Zoom mail” and premium rate numbers.

They don't withhold the number any more because they can spoof it, make it look like a valid number, but they're obviously not too familiar with UK numbers as often it'll look like an international number, or a mobile number with the wrong number of digits. I've even had a call from '0'. I'm ex directory and with TPS but there may be a random number generator at work. Makes me wonder how they find my number as it's a bit unusual. The recent spate has been the worst I've had - most days usually several times a day for 2 or 3 weeks. Before that I hadn't had any for a very long time, and there's been nothing for a couple of weeks now. Kevin's right in that it doesn't bother me enough to throw money at it. I think I was most annoyed this time because although I was working, it was just work for me. Lots of people are doing their paid jobs from home. My old job was hard enough without being constantly interupted by spam calls. Really not what anyone needs at the moment.

We had BT phones with Call Guardian when my wife lived in a rural area, because the cellphone signal varied between weak and weaker, and it dealt with any nuisance calls without disturbing us.

No landline now because we moved to Edinburgh and don't need one. I ignore all calls to my cellphone from unknown/unidentified numbers and these callers rarely leave a message.

They don't withhold the number any more because they can spoof it, make it look like a valid number, but they're obviously not too familiar with UK numbers as often it'll look like an international number, or a mobile number with the wrong number of digits. I've even had a call from '0'. I'm ex directory and with TPS but there may be a random number generator at work. Makes me wonder how they find my number as it's a bit unusual. The recent spate has been the worst I've had - most days usually several times a day for 2 or 3 weeks. Before that I hadn't had any for a very long time, and there's been nothing for a couple of weeks now. Kevin's right in that it doesn't bother me enough to throw money at it. I think I was most annoyed this time because although I was working, it was just work for me. Lots of people are doing their paid jobs from home. My old job was hard enough without being constantly interupted by spam calls. Really not what anyone needs at the moment.

Re a lot of calls in a short period of time, maybe they 'hit' regional codes if it's random selection. We're TPS and ex-diectory too.

I can't remember the last time we had a nuisance call, touch wood.

A while back I had a very annoying episode which started when someone rang me up early one morning asking me to come into work as they had a big problem. As I retired or rather stopped working a paid 9-5 years ago and it was early on a morning I was a bit phased but eventually realised he was an idiot and hung up. Over a period of weeks he kept repeatedly calling multiple times a day and I eventually came to believe he was a very sad, lonely and pathetic individual trying to connect with someone (he repeatedly tried to have a normal conversation with me) but as we had illness in the family and needed to keep the phone lines free I was not in a particularly forgiving mood. Virgin were no help so I changed tack and used some made up psychology and told him how I saw him with a liberal scattering of insulting and belittling expletives, he hung up and he never called again. That little episode was the strangest and most annoying phone based one I've ever had.

Last edited:
No landline now because we moved to Edinburgh and don't need one. I ignore all calls to my cellphone from unknown/unidentified numbers and these callers rarely leave a message.
I unplugged my LL years ago, And I'm exactly the same as you, with ignoring calls that aren't in my "address book"
If its important they'll leave a message.
TBH I doubt I get 1 "unidentified" call a month on my mobile.

I unplugged my LL years ago, And I'm exactly the same as you, with ignoring calls that aren't in my "address book"
If its important they'll leave a message.
TBH I doubt I get 1 "unidentified" call a month on my mobile.
I find that calls from Hospital or GP are “withheld” and they never leave a message, possibly for privacy reasons. I know who they are because they immediately call the mobile or landline number instead. I think this is improving recently.

I find that calls from Hospital or GP are “withheld” and they never leave a message,
Obviously that's a tricky one.
Thankfully I don't have any such need from a professional body that may do that.
So any with held numbers is likely to be spam.

Obviously that's a tricky one.
Thankfully I don't have any such need from a professional body that may do that.
So any with held numbers is likely to be spam.
It’s a few years ago but the local police statiion phoned me over an allegation I had grazed someone‘s Porsche in the supermarket car park and that number was withheld. If I hadn't answered it they’d probably‘ve sent a snatch squad and I would have been dragged out :).

(It was quite funny because the woman claimed I had backed onto her pale green Porsche bonnet in my dirty old Nissan Prairie. There was a very slight mark on top of her bonnet and I guess I must have not felt the “collision”. Problem was, I took all my docs to the Station but my surname was the same as hers and she became irate and claimed I was an imposter. I didn’t know her but she lived about 20 house up the road from me. Coppers were doing their best not to p*** themselves laughing :).)

If I hadn't answered it they’d probably‘ve sent a snatch squad and I would have been dragged out
The sweeny at the very least, and
SWAT if you were really lucky :D

but my surname was the same as hers and she became irate and claimed I was an imposter.... Coppers were doing their best not to p*** themselves laughing
:LOL: I bet they were too !

Back