WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Although that isn't quite so bad, the one that really gets me is when someone is being interviewed,
and they start their response with "so..."

That and a certain radio 2 presenter that is supposed to be well educated, shortens words ( or cuts them in half ) that have no business being shortened.
What ever happened to the Queens English on the BBC ?
:D
I hate when someone's asked a question and they reply "yeah, no.......

I thought your name was Richard, not Tommy ;)
Funnily enough during my National Service on the far flung Arabian Peninsula I was used to being called “Tommy” by the “natives”, their generic name for all Brit Servicemen. Though in my case they also sometimes called me ”dawil“meaning “tall” or “lofty” in English, a nickname I share with one Osama bin Laden unfortunately :(.

Love this thread...lol.

Am I the only person irritated by the use of the word 'uptick' when referring to a slight increase in some measure or similar?

..also ‘hike’. A 1.6% increase in rail fares From January next has just been announced but I heard a news reader say..”there’s to be another hike in rail fares” 1.6% can hardly be described as a hike,as unwelcome as it is. It’s an increase.

I dislike the way, mainly young people, ‘upspeak . I think it’s called that. The end of the sentence goes up as if it were a question. Eg. ‘We took the motorway up there(?). Maybe I shouldn’t do it it but sometimes I would ask if he/she wasn’t sure Or, are you telling me or asking me ?

I don’t like weather forecasters on tv talk about wind-wise..rain-wise. sun-wise.

Loathe Haitch instead of a Aitch..for the the letter H. There was some problem with HBOS a few years ago and some reporters were saying Haitch..BOS. Grrrr!.

Giving instructions to a driver..”Reverse back“

“It’s the most perfect example I’ve seen”. Perfection is an absolute, it’s either perfect or it isn’t.

France is the only country in the world, apart from, Australia and Canada that.......well, it isn’t the only country then,is it.

In addition we get ‘police speak’ on tv. “A deceased male was found inside the premises”. How about. ‘ When officers went inside the house they found the body of man’ I assume the PR dept write the statements to be read.

That will do for tonight..lol.

Love this thread...lol.

..also ‘hike’. A 1.6% increase in rail fares From January next has just been announced but I heard a news reader say..”there’s to be another hike in rail fares” 1.6% can hardly be described as a hike,as unwelcome as it is. It’s an increase.

I dislike the way, mainly young people, ‘upspeak . I think it’s called that. The end of the sentence goes up as if it were a question. Eg. ‘We took the motorway up there(?). Maybe I shouldn’t do it it but sometimes I would ask if he/she wasn’t sure Or, are you telling me or asking me ?

I don’t like weather forecasters on tv talk about wind-wise..rain-wise. sun-wise.

Loathe Haitch instead of a Aitch..for the the letter H. There was some problem with HBOS a few years ago and some reporters were saying Haitch..BOS. Grrrr!.

“It’s the most perfect example I’ve seen”. Perfection is an absolute, it’s either perfect or it isn’t.

France is the only country in the world, apart from, Australia and Canada that.......well, it isn’t the only country then,is it.

In addition we get ‘police speak’ on tv. “A deceased male was found inside the premises”. How about. ‘ When officers went inside the house they found the body of man’ I assume the PR dept write the statements to be read.

I can add a few ...... At this moment in time, Almost unique, not to mention the misuse of 'contemporary' or decimate

Last edited:
I can add a few ...... At this moment in time, Almost unique, not to mention the misuse of 'contemporary' or decimate

Trade union officials regularly use that expression..’at this moment in time.’ Drives me to distraction. It’s only them that I’ve heard using it.

Almost unique..:rolleyes: I’m trying to think of another example that I’ve heard when unique had been mis-used but can’t bring it to mind at the moment..or ‘at this moment in time’..lol. Maybe it’s ‘the most unique..example’.

What I find disconcerting is when tv or radio reporters..ie journalists misuse the language because good english is, or should be,their stock in trade.

Let us not forget.....mis-spoke...lol. Some spell it misspoke others mis-spoke. I prefer the latter.

Love this thread...lol.

I haven’t noticed that. It’s usually associated with Aussies, particularly females. Is it the influence of Aussie soaps? In that context it was always thought to be a sign of feeling inferior/hesitant.

My late brother, a Londoner like me, used to be outraged by people here in Yorkshire addressing him as “mate” which I assume has also come from Aussie soaps and East Enders? I don’t remember ever having been addressed as “mate” in the London area, occasionally “squire” which I was never sUre was entirely complimentary :).

One I have read on t’interwebs is “and plus” which is just hilarious :).

I confess I don’t usually get annoyed by these things being a believer in whether or not the meaning is clear but one I do hate, which was originally American I think, is “ second of all” which seems to me to mean the the thing referred to is “last” rather than ”second” :(.

Trade union officials regularly use that expression..’at this moment in time.’ Drives me to distraction. It’s only them that I’ve heard using it.

Almost unique..:rolleyes: I’m trying to think of another example that I’ve heard when unique had been mis-used but can’t bring it to mind at the moment..or ‘at this moment in time’..lol. Maybe it’s ‘the most unique..example’.

What I find disconcerting is when tv or radio reporters..ie journalists misuse the language because good english is, or should be,their stock in trade.

Let us not forget.....mis-spoke...lol. Some spell it misspoke others mis-spoke. I prefer the latter.
Oh yes, and often (US speak) when it has been pointed out that they mis-spoke they “walk back” what they have said :).

Oh yes, and often (US speak) when it has been pointed out that they mis-spoke they “walk back” what they have said :).

Never heard of that one, Richard.

The first time I heard the term mis-spoke was in relation to Hilary Clinton when she said she came under fire, from a sniper, as she left her plane on a visit to Bosnia in 1996 when she and Chelsea actually left the plane and calmly walked off.. It wasn’t true.

Never heard of that one, Richard.

The first time I heard the term mis-spoke was in relation to Hilary Clinton when she said she came under fire, from a sniper, as she left her plane on a visit to Bosnia in 1996 when she and Chelsea actually left the plane and calmly walked off.. It wasn’t true.

Love this thread...lol.

One that really annoys me is folk that say "draw" instead of "drawer" .

I’m surprised your list didn’t include “should of” for “should’ve etc, (which is seen a lot on TP unfortunately :( ).

I think I would prefer shoulda, woulda, coulda to that but don’t think I’ve ever seen it :).

Pah, all these examples are nothing. If you really want to talk about things that are like finger nails on a blackboard, I give you:

"Inbox me"

and the worst one ever

"hun"

"Inbox me"

That has to be the most stupid and irritating phrase ever invented and it drives me nuts too. :mad:

As for started sentences with 'so' - I just want to hit them with something heavy and blunt. :banghead:

It seems the American youth are determined to destroy the English language in the same way their leaders are determined to 'dumb down' the populace. In another hundred years, we'll probably have devolved back to saying just 'uh!' and 'ug'. ;)

My current annoying word is where the answer to a question is, 'Yes' but instead the reply is, "Absolutely'

Dave

George Bernard Shaw is supposed to have said ' England and America are two countries separated by the same language', but there are other claimants and versions of this. It doesn't matter, the substance of it is the same.

The early British settlers (migrants?) took their language with them, but it was very different to the English we use today. Languages aren't static and English has continued to evolve on both sides of the Atlantic and at local levels. It can be a bit irritating, per many of the examples in this thread, but I don't have any real problems with it.

I spent some time in India a few years ago and it's still quite common to meet Indian people who speak English with hints of the 'Raj' in it. I still have a newspaper which I kept, because I loved the short article about a street robbery, which ended with 'the police caught the wicked rascal in the small hours of the morning...' :D

George Bernard Shaw is supposed to have said ' England and America are two countries separated by the same language', but there are other claimants and versions of this. It doesn't matter, the substance of it is the same.

The early British settlers (migrants?) took their language with them, but it was very different to the English we use today. Languages aren't static and English has continued to evolve on both sides of the Atlantic and at local levels. It can be a bit irritating, per many of the examples in this thread, but I don't have any real problems with it.

I spent some time in India a few years ago and it's still quite common to meet Indian people who speak English with hints of the 'Raj' in it. I still have a newspaper which I kept, because I loved the short article about a street robbery, which ended with 'the police caught the wicked rascal in the small hours of the morning...' :D
As I wrote earlier, I don’t have much of a problem with any of this, language evolves. American usage is often more ‘correct’, being older. What you write about Raj English in India is very obvious in stuff coming from there :).

One thing that always grates with me is your use of “different to”, which is not incorrect but I always feel it should be “different from”, for obvious reasons :(.

And one I hadn’t seen before but find very odd:
“The motivation for them was to advance the ideology of Islamism, a matter distinct to and abhorrent to the vast majority for those who follow the Islamic faith.
(
my bold) in today’s:

My late brother, a Londoner like me, used to be outraged by people here in Yorkshire addressing him as “mate” which I assume has also come from Aussie soaps
Seriously?
Me ole china ( plate) has been around way longer than the Aussie soaps.
Its all part of cockney rhyming slang, and propa lundun cultcha.

Seriously?
Me ole china ( plate) has been around way longer than the Aussie soaps.
Its all part of cockney rhyming slang, and propa lundun cultcha.
I don’t disagree but I’m referring to it’s spread to the wider population, and it‘s East End (ie cockney) not West End like wot I am. London is, or was, very regional. In my childhood I recall hearing relatives talking about an uncle who had “gone over the water” and had not been heard of since — ie gone south of The River (Thames) :).

You are likely to be called 'pet' or 'marra' in the North East, or 'me ducks' in Notts.....

I’m surprised your list didn’t include “should of” for “should’ve etc, (which is seen a lot on TP unfortunately :( ).

I think I would prefer shoulda, woulda, coulda to that but don’t think I’ve ever seen it :).

Lol...Give me (gear us) a break,Richard..I can't think of everything but now you mention it I hear it here a lot and assumed it was a Gloucestershire expression along with He/she/they 'should of... and even worse... 'off of '

I don’t disagree but I’m referring to it’s spread to the wider population, and it‘s East End (ie cockney) not West End like wot I am. London is, or was, very regional. In my childhood I recall hearing relatives talking about an uncle who had “gone over the water” and had not been heard of since — ie gone south of The River (Thames) :).

The same expression, 'over the water' is used in Liverpool for people who live on the other side (south side) of the Mersey.. ie Birkenhead and the Wirral.

Trying to take the dashcam out of the car to replace it and find that the idiot lackey that did the
service has decided to put to wire behind the cabin airfilter or somewhere in that area so I can't get it out
Wasted journey and their time as they have to take it apart to release it !!

and even worse... 'off of '

Aargghhh! That's one that annoys me too - another import from America I think, as they seem to use it a lot in their films and TV series. For some reason my sister keeps saying it too . . . :banghead:

Aargghhh! That's one that annoys me too - another import from America I think, as they seem to use it a lot in their films and TV series. For some reason my sister keeps saying it too . . . :banghead:

I didn't realise it came from the US. I never heard anyone use the expression up north..well, NW (Liverpoool area)

There's another one I can't bring to mind at the moment. It will come to me later, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky

As in "I was like you're kidding and she was like no, it's true."

As in "I was like you're kidding and she was like no, it's true."
Ive given you a "Like" for that, hope it didn't upset you :exit:

"So, he was like "I brought this lens off of...""

The students at my school who persisted in asking their peers 'Can I lend your rubber/pencil sharpener(insert suitable item) ....' when they were asking if they could borrow said item.....

Crap day so far.
Smashed the lcd screen on my A7ii, then accidentally deleted my Lindisfarne pics from last weekend....:mad:
I'm going back to bed....:LOL:

Have just got back from a 3 day trip to Lancashire, open the windows to let some air into the house to find some neighbours are having an out door karaoke party. It's painful! :eek:

Driving home last night, I had a puncture. Not a problem, I thought, there's a spare in the back. :)
I pulled onto a side road, and changed the tyre, but while pumping it up to pressure, the spare popped the side wall and went down again. :jawdrop: Sweary 1.gif
Phoned the breakdown folks, and they got a mobile tyre guy out, but I had to wait several hours for him to get to me.Finger tap.gif
Finally got home early this morning.
If anyone sees me yawning, I can tell them it's because I'm two tyred... Coffee 2.gif

Back