WAMT....what annoyed me today!

This is that, when a music licence is granted, sensible conditions are generally made within the licence. However, the site operators seldom want to spend the money or make the effort, to ensure that sound levels and times are adhered to, so that even when the conditions meet the expectations of neighbours, the practice is quite different.

It is also my observation that councils seldom perform proper tests unless an outside expert is called in by the complainants and presents evidence that the licence is not being adhered to. When that happens, council staff have been known to "discover" the misbehaviour.
We have exactly that situation locally. The site operator simply states that they have a music license and that they are operating within the license. The "noise" travels almost a mile up the road!

They are all out to get me! British Gas (again), trying to service my boiler 4 months too soon, British Telecom-changing my appointment day to........................... wait for it........................ the same time and day that they were supposed to be coming anyway???? My business used to run on punctuality and customer service. Nowadays it's about "efficiency" for shareholders profits rather than the benefit of the customers (who will, soon, be voting with their feet!). :wave:

Just finished reading a book, a true story, and mostly based in my local area but some of it just doesn't ring true at all. I was at the time the events in the book took place a frequent visitor to many of the locations and if the things in the book happened at the times and places stated I missed them and all news or talk about them completely. Also the descriptions of some of the locations could have been written by someone who's never been to them as they're just not accurate.

I know these days things can be personal truths so maybe that's it but I like my factual reading to be factual. Oh well.

Last week too, people standing on the bus stop moaning about the bus not being there before it's even due !!!
We've had some new displays fitted on all the stops telling you when the next bus is due, sometimes how many minutes away they are, today it was just showing the time it was due.
This is someone who has a free bus pass, was only going shopping, which she seems to do most days, causing havoc on the bus with her shopping trolly and when asked has no pending appoints etc.
I have a car but tend to use the bus to go to town, use my free bus pass, no parking charges and saves on fuel
We have a reasonable bus service, run every hour during the day, yes occasionally the don't turn up, but if you ring the company they will always apologise and tell you why, but even they can't predict breakdowns, driver illness, floods, accidents etc

Last edited:
A series of power cuts. Not sure what time they started (for some reason, the bedside clock wasn't working...!) but after it came back on at 05:45, there were 3 more at about 5 minute intervals, just long enough to think they were over and reset the few clocks that need it!

Tablets in blister packs, where the paper side is so thick that you crush the capsule or tablet while getting them out.

Allowing a finger tip to overhang the blade of my chefs knife when cleaning it this morning. It's almost surgically sharp, and able to remove the top layer of skin with surprising ease.

Tablets in blister packs, where the paper side is so thick that you crush the capsule or tablet while getting them out.

This is my main bugbear at the moment. I had until recently, two daily medications, which were both in small tablet form and were fiddly enough to get out of the blister pack. However, a couple of weeks ago, after an endoscopy, I was told I had a hiatus hernia and two, small duodenal ulcers, so I have to take two capsules a day, one before each meal. They are virtually impossible to release without breaking them, resulting in much swearing and of course anger and stress, which is no good for ulcers.
And whilst we are having a good moan, the reason why I had an endoscopy, was that I had pain in my lower left abdomen (the ulcers) and I had a real problem swallowing, plus I was having panic/choking fits. The instructions on the capsules says - "do not take if you have problems swallowing":mad:

Last edited:
They are all out to get me! British Gas (again), trying to service my boiler 4 months too soon, British Telecom-changing my appointment day to........................... wait for it........................ the same time and day that they were supposed to be coming anyway???? My business used to run on punctuality and customer service. Nowadays it's about "efficiency" for shareholders profits rather than the benefit of the customers (who will, soon, be voting with their feet!). :wave:
BT didn't turn up, so rang them. In a queue! (Your call is important to us!) Eventually got through (after negotiating more "menus"!). Many security checks. Note on file. Engineer couldn't get to me - no explanations ?????? Re-booked for Friday! What a shower! Good job that I am retired or I would be swinging from the trees! Have a nice day all! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Re: blister packs
I started a good while back running my thumbnail around the edge of the foil/paper to start the release of the 'push out from behind'. On most such packs that works but on some the "foil" is a tri-laminate with a thicker than usual 'film' layer and that sort of defeats the thumbnail cut!

Re: blister packs
I started a good while back running my thumbnail around the edge of the foil/paper to start the release of the 'push out from behind'. On most such packs that works but on some the "foil" is a tri-laminate with a thicker than usual 'film' layer and that sort of defeats the thumbnail cut!
A Stanley knife works for me!

WAMT? I can continually prove that I am unable to follow instructions or read manuals. When did I start being old and grouchy? Life could be so much easier if I could just either read instructions and decide if I want to follow them rather than to just ignore.

WAMT? I can continually prove that I am unable to follow instructions or read manuals. When did I start being old and grouchy? Life could be so much easier if I could just either read instructions and decide if I want to follow them rather than to just ignore.
If in doubt, clout, if all else fails read the handbook (y)

BT didn't turn up, so rang them. In a queue! (Your call is important to us!) Eventually got through (after negotiating more "menus"!). Many security checks. Note on file. Engineer couldn't get to me - no explanations ?????? Re-booked for Friday! What a shower! Good job that I am retired or I would be swinging from the trees! Have a nice day all! :rolleyes:
Call from BT. We don't need an engineer! It's all been done at the box!
Edit:- Followed by yet another email to say that they are looking into it! My brain hurts!
:LOL::rolleyes::headbang:

Last edited:
Edit:- Followed by yet another email to say that they are looking into it! My brain hurts!

That is absolutely barmy, but unfortunately not surprising.
I went to the pharmacy today, to pick up my adjusted dose of meds (down to 20mg instaed of 40mg) which happened because of a visit to the GP 2 weeks ago. So they went to get them and the new prescription is for 40mg:mad:

That is absolutely barmy, but unfortunately not surprising.
I went to the pharmacy today, to pick up my adjusted dose of meds (down to 20mg instaed of 40mg) which happened because of a visit to the GP 2 weeks ago. So they went to get them and the new prescription is for 40mg:mad:
You got to see a GP ?????? A real one ????? Sounds like you may have to take double the dose in half the time, or should that be half the dose in double the time, or maybe ..................................................... did you go via the national elf service? I get Grumpy when I try to call because they make me feel Dopey for getting Sneezy and ringing Doc whilst Happy gets Bashful during the examination by Sleepy. Hi ho!

I leave a cocktail stick in the tray I keep my tablets, once the seal is broken even by the stick point the tablets pop out reasonably easily, paracetamol wrappers are the worst, thankfully I don’t those often.

Or those that build and sell houses, and are still building them, right next door to a landfill site,
that has been there over 50 years, and was in the middle of nowhere, and then people move in, complain about the traffic, smell and gulls.
There has been several attempts to shut it down, IIRC the outcome was another 10 year extension on the licence.

I wonder if they would be totally prepared to stop producing household waste.

Last edited:
Some old farm buildings, next to the sewerage works, have been converted to houses.

Guess what the house owners are complaining about?

Another email this morning. The engineer is coming tomorrow. I've been online to cancel it and you can change it but not cancel it. Efficiency???? I'll just let them arrive. I just lost the will to ................................................... :wave: :rolleyes::LOL:

Some old farm buildings, next to the sewerage works, have been converted to houses.

Guess what the house owners are complaining about?
We live just down the road from Hemsby, where "temporary" "wooden holiday homes" were built, on the sand dunes, that are now falling into the sea, after years of erosion, which everyone knew was going to happen and guess what?

Another email this morning. The engineer is coming tomorrow. I've been online to cancel it and you can change it but not cancel it. Efficiency???? I'll just let them arrive. I just lost the will to ................................................... :wave: :rolleyes::LOL:
Ah! but what good customer service..........one engineer has fixed/corrected the issue in/at the street cabinet........now coming to fiddle with your wiring just to be sure you are fixed! :runaway: :exit:

I opened Adobe PS today to process some raws and I came to one which needed a small amount of straightening but when I looked there was no Geometry option. It was there the last time I used PS just a few days ago but now... Nada. This is usually one of the option on the right hand side and when you click it you get vertical, horizontal, rotate and all the usual options but today it was gone.

I have CS5 so I opened that and they were there so back I weren't into the latest version and they still weren't there. I tried rebooting and still geometry was missing so I waded through all the other options and found all that the geometry options are now under crop so I assume the change was part of an update.

Why?

Geometry used to be there in the list on the RHS and now I have to click crop to get there and once in there it a lot more clunky to use.

Grrrrrrr.

Had a letter from Birmingham Council today asking for £120 ? Read the letter and I was issued this as a PCN , I dared to drive through Birmingham when going to get my mewly purchased mobility scooter , Never ever needed to go through B/ham and now never will . If I pay imedeatly I get a discount but if not and contest and loose the fine will be x3 , WTH :mad:

Last edited:
I visited Manchester last weekend and was annoyed by the poor driving. Tailgating seems to be very popular but I have never seen it as bad as in Manchester. My relatives who live there also confirm that driving standards are poor. I returned on a Sunday morning so it was great to see the M6 so lightly loaded. However, there was still the odd car driving at 60mph in lane 3 of the 4 lanes and forcing others to change from lane 1 to lane 4 to overtake. Overtaking on the inside seems very common now irrespective of lane hoggers.

Dave
I had to use the M6 for the first time in ages last week. The signs going north around Birmingham push you towards using the toll section, and coming back down south the signage to the non-toll section are virtually non existent. I wonder why… could it possibly be the £8.90 toll fee? :mad:

Just ordered two things from Amazon for Mrs WW (she refuses to order things with her own card) and the pricing / charge is incomprehensible. I've looked at the order and the email and I have no idea how much I'm going to be charged. I have no idea which is right and how they got to these conflicting totals. I suppose I'll know when I look at the credit card website.

I had to use the M6 for the first time in ages last week. The signs going north around Birmingham push you towards using the toll section, and coming back down south the signage to the non-toll section are virtually non existent. I wonder why… could it possibly be the £8.90 toll fee? :mad:
Yes, I have noticed this myself but not yet used the M6 toll road unintentionally. On a couple of occasions travelling South my Sat Nav directed me to the Toll Road and then via the M42 then to the M5. I was only ten mins later than the original ETA but, had I stayed on the M6, the delay was several hours due to a major accident. I was more touchy about Toll roads many years ago. When I was leaving Oxford to head for a location North of Burford, the normal road north had been closed and my Sat Nav recommended a toll road. I resisted at first but could not see another way. When I arrive at the toll (a small bridge over a river) and old gentle man limped towards me to collect 50p (part of a charter give to his family by a past King). I felt a fool that I had hesitated.

Regards Dave

Reactions: zx9
She's got you well trained (y)

Lol. It's the opposite with us. Infact,I was going to post about it because no wonder the High street retailers are closing down at a rate of knots. In 2022 17,000 closed and that was up Up 50% from 2021 when 1,449 closed so 28,449 stores closed in 2 years, with all the staff redundancies that would have entailed.

Today, I sent my wife four Emails with the page of what I want to buy. A Stanley knife-a digital egg timer- a pocket-sized calculator ..I've forgotten what the last item was. 30 minutes later I asked her when they might arrive..she has Amazon Prime..tomorrow. It's that easy for me.

She's got you well trained (y)

haha.

It's more of a phobia of hers but she insists that I'm the old fashioned one who dislikes technology.

I've never had this from Amazon before. I think it's because one of the items is a marketplace thing but even so Amazon should sort any pricing issues out and what Amazon say at checkout should tally with the email which follows.

I'm obviously expecting too much.

Last edited:
30 minutes later I asked her when they might arrive..she has Amazon Prime..tomorrow. It's that easy for me.
There remain a number of issues though. Had you gone to a shop you could have bought one or more of the items. Likely the persons that brought it into store, put it on the shelf and the one that concluded the transaction at the till all earnt money and will in their stead, go spend that money on stuff elsewhere causing the circular flow of investment. Lots of folk are able to eat because of that process. You would have walked out the store with it.

If you buy from Amazon it is far more automated, folk got shouted at for having a bathroom break and a battered van driven at breakneck speeds is on the road. You saved the money of the folk who need to eat.

I buy from Amazon and other online non bricks and mortar shops and not holding the moral high ground but their system will kill choice, reduce ability for work and sooner or later when all the other competition has been consumed, prices will rise.

Back