WAMT....what annoyed me today!

I was driving slowly so had more than enough time to stop (grew up driving country lanes.)

I was driving slowly so had more than enough time to stop (grew up driving country lanes.)
The traffic cops that attended said that my skidmarks showed that I was driving at the correct speed but that the closing speed and distance of two vehicles heading towards each other would have made it impossible for us to stop in time! (Thinking distance + braking distance times 2 = Ouch!). When I opened my eyes again, I could see the wheels on the 4 wheel drive tractor still turning and I was being pushed backwards! I still wake up to those wheels in a hot sweat! The weight plates on the tractor front were hard up against the engine of my Suzuki Swift!

Last edited:
The traffic cops that attended said that my skidmarks showed that I was driving at the correct speed but that the closing speed and distance of two vehicles heading towards each other would have made it impossible for us to stop in time! (Thinking distance + braking distance times 2 = Ouch!). When I opened my eyes again, I could see the wheels on the 4 wheel drive tractor still turning and I was being pushed backwards! I still wake up to those wheels in a hot sweat! The weight plates on the tractor front were hard up against the engine of my Suzuki Swift!
I do hope that the tractor driver was prosecuted for the appropriate laws being broken?

I do hope that the tractor driver was prosecuted for the appropriate laws being broken?
Yes. He was driving to pick up a load of seed potatoes (should have been done by a lorry taxed for goods!) and was way out of his local area! He'd only been driving a few months!

I was watching Manchester United v Liverpool on Sunday afternoon when a message came on screen. I can't recall exactly what it was but something to do with the sound. It was about 5 lines long so to get back to game I think I must have pressed OK. Maybe a button was pressed when the remote slipped between cushions on the sofa. Another message immediately showed telling me I could change it back if I wanted to in settings.Then the volume of the commentary dropped so low I could barely hear it. I was on volume level 12 and had to take it to 70. That would normally blow the roof off the house. I've come to the conclusion it was a volume limiter like there are on hotel TVs to stop the inconsiderate or hard of hearing having the volume too high. I went to settings but couldn't see anything.

Today I had to call LG. My heart sank when a a lady with a heavy accent answered. I had to keep asking her to repeat what she said. I asked her where she was located. The Caribbean. She didn't know how to put it right and eventually suggested the only way was to reset to 'factory settings' but that would lose the Apps. Apart from that the message told me I could reset it in settings. I'm going to Google Youtube 'how to set up the sound" as if the TV were new.

I recall phoning my insurance company one day and was put through to a lady in India. I had to apologise and say I couldn''t understand her accent. Despite the company saying a caller could ask to be put through to a UK call centre I was refused that optoin. It's the reason most insurance companies brought call centres back to the UK. I tried again another day and..I did see the funny side.. it was answered by a lady in their Glasgow call centre who had clearly liv ed all her life in Glasgow ..Lol. Not as bad as the lady in India but it wasn't an easy listening experience. All her 'i' s were pronounced "eh" Eg. a Pit Bull Terrier was a "Pet Bull Terrier".. I thought about handing the call to my wife who, although born and brought up in Ayrshire had started her nursing career in The Western Infirmary, Glasgow. Having said that she once told me that when she started there she had a job understanding the Glaswegian staff and patients.

Anyone any ideas what might have happened and where to look in 'settings" ..apart from 'Sound" ? It's an LG OLED C1 TV.

Last edited:
I have problems with my LG TV. After it recently updated its software, when I switch on, it no longer automatically selects the set top box as the source. in fact it seems to randomly select the source. So it is a fiddle to reselect the source every time it is switched on now. Could not find anything to help in the on-line manual. So followed up by sending a query to LG support but they have never answered. Prior to the software upgrade, it always defaulted to where it was when switched off. 99.9% of the time that would be the set-top box.I also find the volume varies significantly for different sources so wondered about setting to automatic but, after you troubles, I do not want to introduce more problems.

Dave

This annoys me...

Why, because these companies have the resources to keep their systems up to date and safe but have probably appointed "managers" who don't impose proper working practices or security protocols. :mad:

I have problems with my LG TV. After it recently updated its software, when I switch on, it no longer automatically selects the set top box as the source. in fact it seems to randomly select the source. So it is a fiddle to reselect the source every time it is switched on now. Could not find anything to help in the on-line manual. So followed up by sending a query to LG support but they have never answered. Prior to the software upgrade, it always defaulted to where it was when switched off. 99.9% of the time that would be the set-top box.I also find the volume varies significantly for different sources so wondered about setting to automatic but, after you troubles, I do not want to introduce more problems.

Dave

It's a pain,isn't it. I had a screen notification yesterday to update but all's running well...apart from this volume issuel so I won't for the very reason you've mentioned.

Re varying volumes. I don't mean the problem I have but let's say you have your volumne set at 15. One programme outputs at level A volume so 15 is fine. Programme B outputs at a higher volume so you'll need to reduce yours to say, 12. That is a very untechnical way to explain it but..lol.

I think I'll try what one Youtuber suggested and go into "Hotel" mode. It's hidden,he says, and I need to input a number..I think it's 1105.

Apart from all this LG consistently comes top in Which? reviews. I change ours every 6 years or so .That way you do,at least, get some meaningful improvements.I spend a fair bit of time reading reviews and we have the 55" C1 OLED and someone said that the next model in the series barely improved it,if atall and recommended waiting a couple of years. I think the reviewer said the on;y improvement was for gamers and I don't do games although when I watched a friend's TV that had an app that allowed him to fly a plane..like the large Boeings an d Airbus jets I was impressed but Star Wars/Ninja (?) fighting stuff leaves me cold. They look fantastic but they're not for me.

Re varying volumes. I don't mean the problem I have but let's say you have your volumne set at 15. One programme outputs at level A volume so 15 is fine. Programme B outputs at a higher volume so you'll need to reduce yours to say, 12. That is a very untechnical way to explain it but..lol.
I find that annoying too, no 2 channels seem to broadcast at the same levels. Some commercial channels are low, so you have to turn it up, the the adverts come on at a much higher level and blast your ears.

Last edited:
I find that annoying too, no 2 channels seem to broadcast at the same levels. Some commercial channels are low, so you have to turn it up, the the adverts come on at a mush higher level and blast your ears.

Years ago I recall a law that stated advertisers were not allowed to increase the volume above what the TV programme output was. I've just done a check and see that it seems to be in place but as "guidance" which is a waste of time. The Advertising Standards Authority say this..

"Television only – Advertisements must not be excessively noisy or strident. The maximum subjective loudness of advertisements must be consistent and in line with the maximum subjective loudness of programmes and junction material"

Have tried a couple of price check sites - maybe go to a cheapie for £30 less with less cover but nothing significant. Wasn’t expecting that much extra.
Ouch that is a huge jump I take it you havent claimed in the last year or changed anything.

WAMT Elderly disabled neighbour allowing her (six or seven year old) grandson to drive her mobility scooter up and down the roads and footpaths like a toy at breakneck speed (literally). Anyone coming out of gates or footpaths either in a car or on foot are in danger (as is he!)! Last week she had him on her knees, driving on the "cart"! This week - bedlam! He was in and out of grandad's car last week (with the keys!) switching on the lights and hazards. There's no point in talking to them as various neighbours have had arguments in the past about trivial stuff!

WAMT Elderly disabled neighbour allowing her (six or seven year old) grandson to drive her mobility scooter up and down the roads and footpaths like a toy at breakneck speed (literally). Anyone coming out of gates or footpaths either in a car or on foot are in danger (as is he!)! Last week she had him on her knees, driving on the "cart"! This week - bedlam! He was in and out of grandad's car last week (with the keys!) switching on the lights and hazards. There's no point in talking to them as various neighbours have had arguments in the past about trivial stuff!
Sadly and possibly tragically the only thing that will "break through" is he hurts himself or someone else.

PS has anyone considered reporting it to the police and/or Council???

Sadly and possibly tragically the only thing that will "break through" is he hurts himself or someone else.

PS has anyone considered reporting it to the police and/or Council???
Due to our past experiences, we all let sleeping dogs lie. If he runs a wheel off the kerb edge, it would just topple over (I've seen that happen in the local high street _ ambulance call out). Those things are fine whilst all four wheels are on the ground.

Last edited:
Ali Baba and Temu "demanding" information when you access their sites. Noooooooooooo! It's not going to happen, no matter how cheap your stuff appears to be!
The Beeb seems to agree too:-

Ali Baba and Temu "demanding" information when you access their sites. Noooooooooooo! It's not going to happen, no matter how cheap your stuff appears to be!
The Beeb seems to agree too:-

But you can use Temu without this. They aren't "demanding" it. This is apparently a marketing "Thing" which other companies also do. People are given the option of providing additional info above and beyond what is usually required and for getting other people to sign up for either £50 transferred into their bank account or other or £50 worth of credits to spend on the site. I've seen this before from other companies and even UK companies but you don't have to sign up to this. You don't even need to sign up at all as you can buy stuff from Temu as a "guest" (that's what we do) and thus provide only very limited info but you're still providing your name and address and credit card or other payment details as you wont get stuff delivered without these.

Mrs WW uses Temu and although I'd rather not in our case we sort of have to as some stuff Mrs WW wants are common in the far east (where she's from) but difficult to find on the likes of Amazon and Ebay in the UK and very difficult to find in UK shops too.

A bigger issue than the data gathering for me is the possibility of exploitative labour practices but as so much of the stuff we buy today comes from China one way or another it's difficult to avoid this issue. For example Amazon and Ebay are awash with Chinese stuff and even upmarket stuff like Apple products and what you'd think of as top end British HiFi are these days made in China and possibly by companies with less good labour conditions and practices.

Selling a couple of metal shelving units on a local FB group for a fiver each. Got a reply asking if we would sell seperately as sh only wanted one. No problem. She then asks if we can deliver, assembled, to her house, 15 miles away!

Selling a couple of metal shelving units on a local FB group for a fiver each. Got a reply asking if we would sell seperately as sh only wanted one. No problem. She then asks if we can deliver, assembled, to her house, 15 miles away!
So charge £15 delivery

Facebook market place is fine if you have low expectations. Along a similar line we put a light up for free and had dozens of folk asking if it was still available / how much was it / could we deliver it. Took it to the tip in the end as no one ended up collecting.

But you can use Temu without this. They aren't "demanding" it. This is apparently a marketing "Thing" which other companies also do. People are given the option of providing additional info above and beyond what is usually required and for getting other people to sign up for either £50 transferred into their bank account or other or £50 worth of credits to spend on the site. I've seen this before from other companies and even UK companies but you don't have to sign up to this. You don't even need to sign up at all as you can buy stuff from Temu as a "guest" (that's what we do) and thus provide only very limited info but you're still providing your name and address and credit card or other payment details as you wont get stuff delivered without these.

Mrs WW uses Temu and although I'd rather not in our case we sort of have to as some stuff Mrs WW wants are common in the far east (where she's from) but difficult to find on the likes of Amazon and Ebay in the UK and very difficult to find in UK shops too.

A bigger issue than the data gathering for me is the possibility of exploitative labour practices but as so much of the stuff we buy today comes from China one way or another it's difficult to avoid this issue. For example Amazon and Ebay are awash with Chinese stuff and even upmarket stuff like Apple products and what you'd think of as top end British HiFi are these days made in China and possibly by companies with less good labour conditions and practices.
Latest from the BBC on the issue:-

Latest from the BBC on the issue:-

I know what's on the BBC as I read it but in typical BBC (and other these days) fashion the articles IMO go beyond factual reporting and into areas of speculation, "might," and "could be" etc. Any company faced with these sort of wooly half allegations couched to give the BBC (or any other "news" organisation) enough wiggle room should a law suit be threatened could counter with "Where's your evidence?" At the mo the evidence that these "might" and "could" things have happened is perhaps scarce or even maybe non existent.

Reactions: zx9
One ran after me once but he wasn't quite quick enough and when I got home the phone was ringing but they didn't get the sale.

The most upsetting for me was when I took my mother to a VW showroom and they completely ignored us.
I had a similar experience with a VW showroom. I had been helping a friend with some minor building work and the jeans and shirt I was wearing was non too clean. Like your mother I was completely ignored and I haven't considered buying a VW since.

What has annoyed me today?

Reading some of the comments in the Main Discussions, Talk Photography section about the appalling school photographer.

As a parent of a child who has a child who is autistic, suffers ADHD, is epileptic and has sensory needs, and then also as a teaching practitioner as I work in primary state education as a teacher, it blows my mind the thinking of some people. I'm fuming partly due to me being a protective parent and seeing how some scum view my child who didn't ask to be born this way view him and spout their s***e online, and than as a teacher who knows a lot more than some keyboard warrier who thinks they can come on here with their bigoted views without thinking how their post can trigger someone who has to deal with daily life with a disabled child. Fuming. f*****g fuming. Still, I've had a rare drink and had my rant and tomorrow I'll probably regret this post but right now to say I'm p***ed is an understatement.

What has annoyed me today?

Reading some of the comments in the Main Discussions, Talk Photography section about the appalling school photographer.

As a parent of a child who has a child who is autistic, suffers ADHD, is epileptic and has sensory needs, and then also as a teaching practitioner as I work in primary state education as a teacher, it blows my mind the thinking of some people. I'm fuming partly due to me being a protective parent and seeing how some scum view my child who didn't ask to be born this way view him and spout their s***e online, and than as a teacher who knows a lot more than some keyboard warrier who thinks they can come on here with their bigoted views without thinking how their post can trigger someone who has to deal with daily life with a disabled child. Fuming. f*****g fuming. Still, I've had a rare drink and had my rant and tomorrow I'll probably regret this post but right now to say I'm p***ed is an understatement.

If you click on someone's user name there is an ignore button and it makes said users disappear from your view, good for your blood pressure on what would is normally a nice helpful and friendly place to visit.

Thank you all. I'm sorry for my outburst last night. I'd had a drink and that struck a chord with me as its so personal to our circumstances and it riled me up. Kids are innocent, disabled kids more so. We have to put up with so much crap from narrow minded idiots and I didn't think I'd ever have to feel like defending my son and other disabled children on here.

Once again massive apologies for my post last night and my language.

Thank you all. I'm sorry for my outburst last night. I'd had a drink and that struck a chord with me as its so personal to our circumstances and it riled me up. Kids are innocent, disabled kids more so. We have to put up with so much crap from narrow minded idiots and I didn't think I'd ever have to feel like defending my son and other disabled children on here.

Once again massive apologies for my post last night and my language.
I used to work with kids with special needs and came up against lots of "obstacles", often from my own "colleagues" who should have known better. The kids were special alright and it was the saddest day of my life when I could no longer work with them due to redundancy. There were tears on both sides. I still see lots of the guys and gals and we always have a chat and sometimes a hug. That makes up for all the other stuff but it doesn't excuse it. Keep smiling and carry on. ;)

The poster in question is neuro-divergent and appears to have issues of their own. Just put them on ignore and move on.

Hopefully, they don't need to be put on ignore and will stay banned.

Hopefully, they don't need to be put on ignore and will stay banned.

There are a few people on here that I find profoundly rude and I have the impression that if they could, they would take great pleasure in humiliating me publicly and tearing my life apart. You just have to move on, else they have won.

There are a few people on here that I find profoundly rude and I have the impression that if they could, they would take great pleasure in humiliating me publicly and tearing my life apart. You just have to move on, else they have won.
There's a difference between rudeness and "verbalising" (writing) actual bodily harm / violence and pure unadulterated bigotry.

It's worth bearing in mind (a general point, not aimed at anyone in particular) that some people feel that they are entitled both to be rude and not to have others respond in kind. Another similar problem is that many people hold strong opinions but resent others holding equally strong but conflicting opinions.

This is just a part of human evolution, which we have retained alongside our cousins, the Chimpanzees.

Man and Woman arguing Mittenwald 5D 7392.jpg

I was sat processing photos on my pc with my tablet also on showing cctv and at about 23:15 I spotted three young men walking past. One kept walking whilst two came down the drive and had a look at two of my cars in the driveway causing the security light to come on and they then ducked down between the two cars. I went outside and shouted at them and they stood up and slowly walked back up the drive issuing threats to come back and "**** me up" but it's all ok because when I phoned the police they emailed me a crime number.

If they police do come I have good quality cctv footage and their faces are visible but really, what's the point? Someone on the news a couple of days ago had 40 odd convictions and still hadn't been sent to prison so what's the come back for walking down someone drive and threatening to "**** them up"?

They also had a fleeting look at the woman next doors car so I might tell her about this incident tomorrow but then again it might scare her as what can she do?

I've always loved living here and I've never really had any desire to move but I'm beginning to accept that our future may well be in the far east.

Another annoyance.
The call handler wanted to know my ethnicity.

PS.
Mrs WW didn't hear me shouting but did hear me on the phone and wanted to know what was going on. When she saw the cctv footage she was badly shaken. When she was racially abused a while back it took her a long time to get over it and I think this will take a long time to get over too. OK, a couple of scallywags walking down the drive might not sound like a big deal but it all depends how you're built.

Last edited:
Back