WAMT....what annoyed me today!

Years ago, my brother was a trainee mechanic, the garage that he worked at,
while doing his apprenticeship, a woman came in with a VW Beetle.
As it was getting near winter, she asked them to check and top up the anti-freeze.
They of course did that and charged her !

EXTREMELY unlikely but I used to know a chap whose ('70s) Beetle did need antifreeze - mind you, he had dropped the body over a bespoke chassis with a Rover V8 under the (front) bonnet! Used to get very funny looks with a row of velocity stacks poking up through it but they were real!

Colleague telling me about her MOT experience. Station tells her she needs 3 new tyres, no she doesn't. However they did pick up that the tyres are old, 16 years old and the car was registered in 2016!! So either she has been given remoulded ditchfinders or fleeced by a tyre dealer... Poor lass has to drive 80 miles a day. still makes me cross that the industry is still fairly misogynistic (same when my other half went to buy her 'new' car in 2020 - dealer spoke to me.....)
If they are 16 years old the sidewalls are probably gone. If she has a look after doing a few miles at top speed on a hot day she may see some bulging, like a boil about to burst!

Colleague telling me about her MOT experience. Station tells her she needs 3 new tyres, no she doesn't. However they did pick up that the tyres are old, 16 years old and the car was registered in 2016!! So either she has been given remoulded ditchfinders or fleeced by a tyre dealer... Poor lass has to drive 80 miles a day. still makes me cross that the industry is still fairly misogynistic (same when my other half went to buy her 'new' car in 2020 - dealer spoke to me.....)
Such gender bias attitudes grind my gears (is it the Tate generation :mad: )

In the case of cars it has been entrenched for decades.................yonks ago I went with the OH when she bought a Rover 214. The office was small & cramped and the sales guy kept looking at and addressing me when the OH asked questions. I said to him, it is my OH buying the car so why are you talking to me................that embarrassed him and he apologised and held the conversation with her but with her prior agreement I interjected as/if needed ;)

Such gender bias attitudes grind my gears (is it the Tate generation :mad: )

In the case of cars it has been entrenched for decades.................yonks ago I went with the OH when she bought a Rover 214. The office was small & cramped and the sales guy kept looking at and addressing me when the OH asked questions. I said to him, it is my OH buying the car so why are you talking to me................that embarrassed him and he apologised and held the conversation with her but with her prior agreement I interjected as/if needed ;)

Had that when my Mrs wanted a new car. In the VW showroom and she suddenly got up and said "Come on, we're leaving". Outside she said that she felt she was being ignored, so me, being a sales manager (in IT) at the time, went back it=n and told the Sales Manager that his staff needed better awareness.....

Had that when my Mrs wanted a new car. In the VW showroom and she suddenly got up and said "Come on, we're leaving". Outside she said that she felt she was being ignored, so me, being a sales manager (in IT) at the time, went back it=n and told the Sales Manager that his staff needed better awareness.....
Good for you :D

IMO it is reprehensible that the sales team are not better trained... on a side note ~ when I was at a Main Dealer getting my car serviced, there an elderly couple leaving having had theirs serviced.

Both had walking sticks with the wife going ahead to the door, I glanced across and realised that neither receptionist ( the reception desk is right by the door) nor a sales rep were paying them any attention....so I got up made a rapid walk to the door to hold it open for them. All during this the receptionist did not look up from what she was doing and as I walked back the customer seating area I caught the eye of one of the reps who watched all this going on. He smiled and I think I rather gave him a a bit of a blank stern look?

went back it=n and told the Sales Manager that his staff needed better awareness.....
That happened to us a few years ago, the then OH was looking to buy a new around 20k IIRC,
Mitsubishi shogun 4x4 ( for towing, we aren't yuppies :D )
After about 15 mins or so, we also walked out, closely followed by the salesman calling after us.

I went back in a few mins later and said loudly, How does it feel to be ignored"?

We drove to another dealership, about 15 miles away, and they couldn't have been more helpful
( she had her heart set on one)

The local one is still there, God knows how, complaints are logged from time to time on the local FB hub.

That happened to us a few years ago, the then OH was looking to buy a new around 20k IIRC,
After about 15 mins or so, we also walked out, closely followed by the salesman calling after us.

I went back in a few mins later and said loudly, How does it feel to be ignored"?

We drove to another dealership, about 15 miles away, and they couldn't have been more helpful

The local one is still there, God knows how, complaints are logged from time to time on the local FB hub.

One ran after me once but he wasn't quite quick enough and when I got home the phone was ringing but they didn't get the sale.

The most upsetting for me was when I took my mother to a VW showroom and they completely ignored us.

One ran after me once but he wasn't quite quick enough
I / we just never turned around, sat in the car for a minute or two, before I went back and made my proclamation.

The most upsetting for me was when I took my mother to a VW showroom and they completely ignored us.
:(

A few years ago a salesman called at my sister's home and she answered the door and he said this.. " Is the man of the house at home ?"

Checked a (not so) local website for the opening times of a working? water mill. Drove an hour to get there and found it to be closed! As tourists make up most of their business, (we are not, we are local-ish) why don't they get themselves sorted? Without visitors, the place is literally, dead in the water!

A few years ago a salesman called at my sister's home and she answered the door and he said this.. " Is the man of the house at home ?"
That was pretty common place years ago though, wasn't it?
( and then women got the vote :D)
Again, a few years ago, a woman I worked with, admittedly, she was a bit of a "baby face"
The caller asked if her mummy or daddy was at home.
She slammed the door in his face, at the same time saying "I'm married"

The excellent result of the useless VW salesman is that she decided against a VW Up, and bought a Mini instead, which we still have, 10 years later....

We went into a VW garage in 2012 and started to look at a Polo. The salesman was great. He started to tell us that the showroom model had all the "extras" but that they had to be ordered. My good lady told him that she wanted a "basic" model with as much as possible, manual everything! He looked on the stock sheet and had just the car at another branch. He phoned the other branch and asked how soon we wanted it. We told him as quickly as possible. She got exactly what she asked for the following day. We still have it and she loves it. I said that we should get another one but she's having none of it. She refused to drive our holiday hire car (new Hyundai) and I agree with her. Far too many bells and whistles and it drives you, you do not drive it!

OK
That was pretty common place years ago though, wasn't it?
( and then women got the vote :D)
Again, a few years ago, a woman I worked with, admittedly, she was a bit of a "baby face"
The caller asked if her mummy or daddy was at home.
She slammed the door in his face, at the same time saying "I'm married"

Takes me back, we used to have a business customer who sounded about 6 years old on the phone, after two of us asked if her mum was there we added some notes to their account along the lines of "CUSTOMER HAS A YOUTHFUL VOICE" .

OK

Takes me back, we used to have a business customer who sounded about 6 years old on the phone, after two of us asked if her mum was there we added some notes to their account along the lines of "CUSTOMER HAS A YOUTHFUL VOICE" .
Totally polar opposite though nothing to do with buying cars..................back in the late 80's to 1991 the company I worked at appointed a new director for one of the departments. I had to liaise with that person who was female, so called and the voice that answered the phone was deeper than my bass voice. I asked to speak to her to be told that she was the person I was speaking to.........I saw her that afternoon and there was no question about her birth gender. It gave me pause to wonder what her life growing was like??? NB I think she was in her late 40's possibly early 50's

We had that with a visit from the TV licence people in the late 1980s. At least they are a little more polite than they used to be.

OK

I had a GF like that. She had a Yorkshire accent and a strange voice sounding to me like a comedy voice over for a cartoon. She had a few strings to her bow all internet related and when she had technical problems she's just explode with expletives and it was just bizarre to see and hear all this in such a comical voice. Think a young and odd but still feminine sounding Yorkshire Donald duck,

I have only ever been in 2 VW dealerships in over 50 years of car ownership (changing my car every 2-3 years) & I walked away on both occasions because I was ignored. The last time was about 30 years ago........VAG will never see any of my money......

Some years ago I remember we were looking for a new microwave oven & went into COMET who were advertising an interest free credit offer. We sat down to complete the paperwork but I was told that I had to take one of their store credit cards to qualify for the 0% credit offer. I said I didn't want one but was told I must have one.... My response was no I don't, as we walked out of the store.

When I worked in car sales I always made sure the wife(or whatever) was included in all conversations, don’t know about you but my wife usually has the final say, sell it to the lady and you’re often on a winner.

When I worked in car sales I always made sure the wife(or whatever) was included in all conversations, don’t know about you but my wife usually has the final say, sell it to the lady and you’re often on a winner.

Most other halves have the "power of veto". When we were looking for a. new car recently there was a couple that just got met with "No". surprisingly, one was a Mini (we've had Mini's for years). The funny one was the Cupra Formentor. "You expect me to drive that?" as she walked away :LOL: :rolleyes:

WAMT?
& most days TBH.

There are really only a couple of things that irritate me, around the forums.
1) people that never return to their own threads, to acknowledge comments.
Not even a (y)

2) people that post cryptically and expect others to understand, their train of thought.

WAMT?
& most days TBH.

There are really only a couple of things that irritate me, around the forums.
1) people that never return to their own threads, to acknowledge comments.
Not even a (y)

2) people that post cryptically and expect others to understand, their train of thought.
Re the first one. I don't think that's always deliberate. There are times when I haven't been able to find my post or have even forgotten about it for a day or two. This can happen if there's no quote but quotes aren't always made. Infact, if you recall you changed a setting for me quite recently so that didn't happen and said you were surprised at the number who didn't have that option ticked. At one point I even started writing down when I posted something that would most likely attract a response. I can say that one member fails to respond to my posts to him about 98% of the time. It doesn't happen vice versa. As you say a (y) would do fine...or a 'like'. If either isn't appropriate just an acknowledgemen t.,...ie "We'll have to agree to disagree..or something similar. You are, of course, dealing with levels of inter-personal/social skills.

Re the first one. I don't think that's always deliberate.
There are people that are serial ignorers, so it can't be absent-mindedness
This can happen if there's no quote but quotes aren't always made.
People don't have to be quoted to get a notification, of a post in a thread they are active in.
Just say "yes" to these two options in their profile.
( As I edited your profile to say)
Screenshot 2024-03-15 232950.png

The ones I least understand are those that have an item in the for sale section,
that have these set to "no"
And they come back a week sometimes a lot longer, later, and claim they have been away or incapacitated, but clearly
have been on line regularly.
Why wouldn't they keep tabs on their item they are selling?

Last edited:
Why wouldn't they keep tabs on their item they are selling?

Because they're idiots. :headbang:

Several times over the years, I've withdrawn an offer or 'I'll take it' post because the OP didn't reply within a few days.

I always set my sales threads to alert me by email - then I'll know within a few minutes (it goes to my phone) if I have a reply.

You dont get a notification if the contributors are on your ignore list ;)
Even if I could do that, I'm too nosy, I've never used that function, even pre- staff days.

Wotsits Crunchy "Really Cheesey" are not in the slightest bit 'cheesey' enough! I bought the jumbo bag to try out, now I did finish them, but I feel if you were blind-folded for a taste test you'd never guess they were 'cheesey' but rather just bland crisp flavour - nowhere near enough cheesey powder! - they are crunchy though, give them that.

That annoyed me.

Wotsits Crunchy "Really Cheesey" are not in the slightest bit 'cheesey' enough!
I feel, It's not only quantity but also quality of such snacks that are deteriorating :(

I feel, It's not only quantity but also quality of such snacks that are deteriorating :(

For real! Remember before they banned certain additives [E105 springs to mind] - crisps would have that lovely red powderiness all over, tasty, addictive, probably bordering on poisonous but we did't care :ROFLMAO:

We don't do much in the way of snacks but my wife commented on the poorer quality of some foods. Less weight too, as we know, shrinkage has become the norm. Manufacturers will not correct these deficiencies when,I assume when rather than if, things get back to something resembling what was the norm.

but my wife commented on the poorer quality of some foods.
I was only thinking the other day, wafer thin ham was a little thinner than a decent slice of ham,
Today "Wafer thin" seems to be the norm, and the new "wafer thin" is like net curtains, pretty much see through :(

Except when applied to mints?

...he had dropped the body over a bespoke chassis with a Rover V8 under the (front) bonnet!
In the 1960s, I worked with a bloke who drove a respectable looking Minivan.

There was no clue that the engine and steering had been replaced by a conventional steering rack and there was a Ford V6 in the rear body. He was stopped by a Daimler Dart police car on the M1, doing (allegedly) 140MPH. This was in May 1967. He asked what he'd done wrong and the reply was "Nothing yet but do it again in 2 months time and we'll have your licence!".

It turned out that the policeman was far more interested in how a Minivan could achieve such a velocity and was very impressed by the engineering involved!

I was only thinking the other day, wafer thin ham was a little thinner than a decent slice of ham,
Today "Wafer thin" seems to be the norm, and the new "wafer thin" is like net curtains, pretty much see through :(

Yes. I remember now. Thin ham. That was one item she mentioned, commenting on how thin it was and I can recall her showing it to me.We had to double/triple up on it in a roll. It's lovely in afreshly-bought Ciabatta roll :)

Mum's old butcher (unfortunately too far away to be mine!) used to sell bacon that was close to gammon in thickness! Proper, dry cured and smoked.

I should make a detour when we're close but always forget to do so!

It turned out that the policeman was far more interested in how a Minivan could achieve such a velocity and was very impressed by the engineering involved!
Some-well many- stopped by a panda car with polis in it, I was driving a VX Chevette HS (modified)with an HSR body kit, they asked what is THAT, when I told them there was much squinting and humming n hawing, I suggested a wee race but they declined, same performance when I turned up at my local Nick with the HORT1 and my documents. Ok maybe slower than a Tesla now, but the sound would make up for that.

WAMT Pop-up Etsy adverts showing clothing with foul language on them. I'm not a prude by any means but don't want my grandson seeing that whilst we are "browsing"!

Coming across an unoccupied (but running) tractor in a narrow lane. Had to reverse for about 250 metres before there was somewhere to turn around then had to replan a route to bypass that lane using a paper map (that was in the boot rather than the body of the car!)

Coming across an unoccupied (but running) tractor in a narrow lane. Had to reverse for about 250 metres before there was somewhere to turn around then had to replan a route to bypass that lane using a paper map (that was in the boot rather than the body of the car!)
I had a head on collision with a tractor and trailer. He was heading the wrong way, up a bendy one way system after being mis-directed. He had just passed two large no entry signs and the road was marked "No Entry" on the tarmac! I was off work for months and still have flashbacks. Don't suggest compensation! It isn't worth the aggravation!

Last edited:
Back