WAMT....what annoyed me today!

So Heathrow is now in the ulez. So not only have we lost the free 2 hour stay in long stay, now £9, we also get shafted an extra £12.50. Never mind the sodding great jets coming in overhead.

Reactions: zx9
Have you checked if its due on your car? (Mine is a 10 year old petrol car and wouldnt be charged ulez) .

Good point, OH has a 54 plate Toyota Corolla and it is, when checked on line, ULEZ compliant!

I have spoken to a few people that thought that their cars were not ULEZ compliant because of the age.
The majority of articles in the media stated a year, typically 2006, before which petrol cars would not be compliant but some cars from 2001 are compliant.
One person had read an article that said that cars older than 17 years would have to pay and was worried that their car which was only 16 years 8 months old would become non-compliant in 4 months time.

One person had read an article that said that cars older than 17 years would have to pay and was worried that their car which was only 16 years 8 months old would become non-compliant in 4 months time.

Brilliant!

Sums up quite a bit of 'thinking' today.

Dave

Well yesterday actually......

I saw, as I am sure many others have seen, cars in supermarkets straddling two spaces. Now, as we were walking to the store I spotted such a car(might have this one in the past) and asked the female driver "can I ask you please, why have you parked taking 2 spaces" her reply was because I want to......quickly qualified by "I am tired of it getting scratched.......and there are plenty of spaces...,." I said I can understand why she felt she had to. All the while continuing to walk to the store.

The above, asking the question, was much to the chagrin of my OH but as for the lady saying plenty of spaces......it is was not as if she had parked at the farthest distance from the store, she was about half way into the car park amidst the 'thick of the cars'.

So not so much WAMT more saddened me that for her selfish reasoning & logic she chose to park as she & and where she did (in the car park.

PS and FWIW I tend to park further away in the car park because we prefer to have that little distance to stretch our legs!

PS and FWIW I tend to park further away in the car park because we prefer to have that little distance to stretch our legs!
Quite awhile ago, now, while late night shopping, and a very empty car park, I parked nose in, as I wanted to load the boot.
There were dozens of empty spaces around me.
I'd barely got out the car, and a woman ( sorry if I assumed gender) parked tight next to me I couldn't have got back in the car.
I asked her if her car was feeling lonely.

It took her awhile, but she did twig, and drove forward to the next space. ( I wasn't even close to the entrance like you I always park away even at that time of night)
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Talking about supermarket car parks it baffles me why people choose to park boot to boot (reversing into a space), rather than nose to nose. I've seen so many people pushing their trolleys between two parked cars in order to get to the boot when if they parked with the boot facing outwards it would be so much easier.

Talking about supermarket car parks it baffles me why people choose to park boot to boot (reversing into a space), rather than nose to nose. I've seen so many people pushing their trolleys between two parked cars in order to get to the boot when if they parked with the boot facing outwards it would be so much easier.
Perhaps, for some the quick getaway before someone tells them to not leave their trolley 'there'?

On a related note .......the Sainsbury's in Brookwood Surrey has an excellent car park entirely down to that the spaces are generous. Instead of single white line separators they have two usual width lines with a horseshoe like curved end. The gap between the lines IIRC is around 4-6inches. Way better designed than some places with sardine spacing.

Reactions: Nod
Even better would be if everyone parked on the left hand line of the space everyone could open all their doors without scratching anyone's car ...

Absolutely zero chance of this happening though!

Even better would be if everyone parked on the left hand line of the space everyone could open all their doors without scratching anyone's car ...

Absolutely zero chance of this happening though!
In part that is why the double lines spacers 'force' the cars a tad further apart.

Personally my endeavour is always to park as dead in the middle as possible to avoid obstruction. There is some p*ss poor parking in car parks........in the past the polite signs "Please park prettily" now if there are signs it more likely to be "Park within a single space" but I never seen any enforcement of this.

IMO 'they' as the landowners should police such poor behaviour, afteral they (sadly) now have guards in the store, so why no monitoring of the car parks. NB at our store IIRC there was a serious robbery a few years back.

WAMT is that it's kiddies back to big school weekend so mummy and daddy are driving round with little or no idea where they're going and with little or no regard to other road users. Not going to be much better when Tarquin and Penelope start wandering around with their noses buried in their eyephones and their ears blocked while their minds (not sure how much brain they have...) are in neutral.

"Driver aids" that tell/warn me when I am driving, that I am not driving how they think that I should! (eg. Lane assist that wants me to stay perfectly between the lines when my eyes tell me that there are obstacles or adverse cambers etc!) Cars that give you a "welcome" jingle, every time you get in! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Reactions: nog
"Driver aids" that tell/warn me when I am driving, that I am not driving how they think that I should! (eg. Lane assist that wants me to stay perfectly between the lines when my eyes tell me that there are obstacles or adverse cambers etc!) Cars that give you a "welcome" jingle, every time you get in! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Quite agree with you especially on lane assist and what's more annoying in my car is you can't turn it of permanently and have to remember to turn it of each time you start it, which I don't always remember.

Same with mine, it is annoying, especially when in the country and you have to cross the white line to avoid huge pot holes and when I am moving out for a better look around L/H bends.

Sometimes it dings a me to "take over Steering", when I'm obviously steering.

Same with mine, it is annoying, especially when in the country and you have to cross the white line to avoid huge pot holes and when I am moving out for a better look around L/H bends.

Sometimes it dings a me to "take over Steering", when I'm obviously steering.
I wish mine just dinged at me it tries to steer me to where it thinks I should go it's a bit like wrestling with an old car with no power steering to go where I want, totally dangerous IMO.

My home page is the BBC and today the lying scumbag's ugly mug featured large again.
Had enough of that when it was current news, thought he had been banished to the nether regions.

Last edited:
Liz Truss is on sky and BBC news as well
Russell Brand too, what a grim start to the day.
Just have to hope Trump isn't too newsworthy today

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: nog
My home page is the BBC and today the lying scumbag's ugly mug featured large again.
Had enough of that when it was current news, thought he had been banished to the nether regions.

Liz Truss is on sky and BBC news as well

Russell Brand too, what a grim start to the day.
Just have to hope Trump isn't too newsworthy today
I have no idea where it all started going wrong. Wrong it is.

I rang the dentist this morning in the hope of an appointment and they were shut for training. Excepting something very bad may have occurred and they need emergency training, I am wondering if there is a worse time and day for a medical service to be closed for routine training.

I have no idea where it all started going wrong. Wrong it is.

I rang the dentist this morning in the hope of an appointment and they were shut for training. Excepting something very bad may have occurred and they need emergency training, I am wondering if there is a worse time and day for a medical service to be closed for routine training.
Just booked my Autumn Covid jab for Wednesday, chemist in Somersham is nearest this time

I have a seasonal flu booked at work but was not aware I can book a covid one. Will have a look.

Edit: Nope. I’m not pregnant, long term illness etc. wonder if they’ll open up for private jabs as seasonal flu?

Last edited:
I have a seasonal flu booked at work but was not aware I can book a covid one. Will have a look.

Edit: Nope. I’m not pregnant, long term illness etc. wonder if they’ll open up for private jabs as seasonal flu?
My guess is that will happen one day, sure a lot of people would be happy to pay as they do for a flu jab.
This time it includes health workers, last one didn't for some strange reason.

My wife got a text message at 2.30pm saying that EVRi was unable to deliver a parcel at 1.20pm. I was watching the 1.00pm news. The text asked for 1.45p for a re-scheduled delivery. Scam,I thought. Then she said the text asked for her Dob. It's an ongoing scam since May last year. https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...ext-message-scam-hermes-smishing-b997658.html

Thing is, EVRi has failed three times to collect a parcel her friend was sending from Lichfield. It still hasn't been collected. So..someone at EVRi has to be giving the nod to scammers. It wasn't a phishing text.

Well yesterday actually......

I saw, as I am sure many others have seen, cars in supermarkets straddling two spaces. Now, as we were walking to the store I spotted such a car(might have this one in the past) and asked the female driver "can I ask you please, why have you parked taking 2 spaces" her reply was because I want to......quickly qualified by "I am tired of it getting scratched.......and there are plenty of spaces...,." I said I can understand why she felt she had to. All the while continuing to walk to the store.

The above, asking the question, was much to the chagrin of my OH but as for the lady saying plenty of spaces......it is was not as if she had parked at the farthest distance from the store, she was about half way into the car park amidst the 'thick of the cars'.

So not so much WAMT more saddened me that for her selfish reasoning & logic she chose to park as she & and where she did (in the car park.
My bold

Quite awhile ago, now, while late night shopping, and a very empty car park, I parked nose in, as I wanted to load the boot.
There were dozens of empty spaces around me.
I'd barely got out the car, and a woman ( sorry if I assumed gender) parked tight next to me I couldn't have got back in the car.
I asked her if her car was feeling lonely.

It took her awhile, but she did twig, and drove forward to the next space. ( I wasn't even close to the entrance like you I always park away even at that time of night)
:rolleyes:

This chap is having a good moan about that very thing..taking up two spaces and also about drivers who park next to his car in an all but empty car park.

From the article: "No wonder some folk park deliberately across two parking spaces to avoid some clown opening their door into their precious motor"

A psychologist suggests...Tried twice. The link won't go live.

She suggests....
Perhaps you drive a car that other people stereotype as being driven by someone polite and considerate.
Your car looks clean and well maintained therefore people imagine that parking next to it is a safer bet than parking next to a car that looks unwashed or damaged.
Perhaps you drive a car that other people stereotype as being driven by someone polite and considerate.
Someone else might drive into the car park and think that your idea of parking somewhere empty is a great one, therefore conforming to you in the sense of staying away from the crowd.
Brightly coloured cars attract attention.
Up to 39% of people tend to park in the same place every time they visit the same location.
Nearest the entrance of the building they are going in.

She has no more idea than any of us..well, as a trained psychologist probably just a bit more idea than any of us :)

She concludes : "This is the easiest explanation [the last one listed re convenience] but not necessarily the right one because only 18-26% of people tend to make parking decisions based on where is closest to their destination [2]. Some people tend to park close to the building they are visiting and they might also park close to something convenient like a sheltered walkway in rainy weather or a parking meter, but that does not explain the majority of parking decisions. This leaves room for the possibility that people really do park next to other vehicles for a variety of reasons that are fascinating to psychologists"

Last edited:
My bold

This chap is having a good moan about that very thing..taking up two spaces and also about drivers who park next to his car in an all but empty car park.

From the article: "No wonder some folk park deliberately across two parking spaces to avoid some clown opening their door into their precious motor"

It also addresses why some drivers park their car next to another one when the rest of the car park is all but empty.

A psychologist suggests ......... https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/.../why-do-people-park-next-you-in-empty-carpark
And my car is red colour ~ agh ! :LOL:

Last edited:
At the time, it was 2 door Chrysler crossfire. 215 BHP 3.2 V6. ( a real granny waggon :D)
And the doors are over 4 feet wide. A bugger to get in and out of at the best of times.

Last edited:
I wasn't familiar with that car so I Googled it. Very impressive.
The same colour as the blue one in the pictures.
But the coupe version, not the drop head

At the time, it was 2 door Chrysler crossfire. 215 BHP 3.2 V6. ( a real granny waggon :D)
And the doors are over 4 feet wide. A bugger to get in and out of at the best of times.

People who have never had a 2 door car don't realise that the doors on a 2 door are at least 20% longer than their 4 door counterpart. Having had many 2 door cars, I appreciate this fact, even the doors on a modern mini can be a pain in a car park. That is why I always try to park on an "end" so I can open my door fully if needed (even though my current car has 6 doors!!).

The same colour as the blue one in the pictures.
But the coupe version, not the drop head

Ah..I misunderstood. I thought you had the blue one . What's a drop head.? I wish I'd just put a 'like'... :D

Edit. I think drop head probably means 'convertible' I haven't heard the term 'drop head' before. Anyway, the blue colour is lovely. It's one of the colours I'd like to have.

Last edited:
People who have never had a 2 door car don't realise that the doors on a 2 door are at least 20% longer than their 4 door counterpart.
Absolutely! And my arse was only a few inches off the road,
Making it even worse to get in and out of :(

Re: Water Meters

Update ~ the installer came today but prior to knocking on the door he checked the outside 'installation' and noted that our outside tap is in very close proximity to the BT chamber/pit.

He advised/told us that in house meter installations were never done in our situation (albeit the agent I spoke to when booking it put all our details into the system) the only legitimate reason is with flats that share a distribution hub for individual apartments water metering.

However, because the outside tap is in such close proximity to the BT chamber he will report back and IIRC their in-house contract team i.e. not the 3rd party contractor they use for the majority of installations, will do a site survey and if they cannot fit the meter outside.......then they will consider an inside installation???

PS I am still unclear how the support desk and the meter rollout/installation department can be in conflict of one saying in effect 'fine we have booked the inside installation ' and the meter team say 'not in this situation '.

I do get annoyed when the media refer to a possible .25% interest rate rise as a 'hike' .This morning reporters were speculating that the Bank of England would hike interest rates by .25% to 5.5%. In the event there was no rise due to an unexpected drop in inflation and they (the Monetary Policy Committee..MPC) don't want to damage a recovery by raising them .Grammatically it goes like this.

Putting aside hike meaning 'a long walk'..

As a noun: An abrupt increase. They meet eight times a year so about every six weeks.Nothing abrupt about that and the Governor always gives signals to the market as to where rates may be going.

As a verb: To unfairly or suddenly raise a price...in this case, the cost of money. Nothing unfair or sudden about it.

Moneyweek "The Bank of England has held the base rate at 5.25%, ending its run of 14 consecutive hikes that began in December 2021".:rolleyes:

I think you are being a little harsh
I do get annoyed when the media refer to a possible .25% interest rate rise as a 'hike' .This morning reporters were speculating that the Bank of England would hike interest rates by .25% to 5.5%. In the event there was no rise due to an unexpected drop in inflation and they (the Monetary Policy Committee..MPC) don't want to damage a recovery by raising them .Grammatically it goes like this.

Putting aside hike meaning 'a long walk'..

As a noun: An abrupt increase. They meet eight times a year so about every six weeks.Nothing abrupt about that and the Governor always gives signals to the market as to where rates may be going.
To be fair OED has two definitions, that you quote above and also 'a sharp increase, especially in price'. The latter is apt.
As a verb: To unfairly or suddenly raise a price...in this case, the cost of money. Nothing unfair or sudden about it.

Moneyweek "The Bank of England has held the base rate at 5.25%, ending its run of 14 consecutive hikes that began in December 2021".:rolleyes:
Every increase on the tails of the last, as you say pretty much the rate has risen regularly every 6 weeks or so. I have no idea if you have a young family with a huge mortgage trying to make ends meet but suspect not. Every additional lump added to outgoings is money you cannot use elsewhere. I suspect you and I are somewhat of an age with mortgage paid off and saving rates increasing helping our income with loans and mortgages a thing long ago.

My generation has had the best of things in recent generations. A mortgage has never been easy but jobs have usually been available. If you were somewhat lucky and prudent you have some savings and a pension and no need to seek adventures or stuff that you cannot afford Now.

Back