WAMT....what annoyed me today!

I think you are being a little harsh

To be fair OED has two definitions, that you quote above and also 'a sharp increase, especially in price'. The latter is apt.

Every increase on the tails of the last, as you say pretty much the rate has risen regularly every 6 weeks or so. I have no idea if you have a young family with a huge mortgage trying to make ends meet but suspect not. Every additional lump added to outgoings is money you cannot use elsewhere. I suspect you and I are somewhat of an age with mortgage paid off and saving rates increasing helping our income with loans and mortgages a thing long ago.

My generation has had the best of things in recent generations. A mortgage has never been easy but jobs have usually been available. If you were somewhat lucky and prudent you have some savings and a pension and no need to seek adventures or stuff that you cannot afford Now.

Thanks for your response.If you take the rises and the time span I'd agree that 'a sharp increase' is apt but my gripe is that those reporting these rises have used the term 'hike' on every occasion. When the interest rate drops a quarter they don't say the rate 'plunged' by .25% .They say 'reduced'..the antonym of 'increase' but they don't say 'increase' in the first place.

Re your second reply. I think you're referring to the term 'unfair'. I quoted two definitions but in reality the City reporters are talking about the first one...ie a 'rise'. But to address the 'unfair' quote, when the Chancellor (in fiscal terms)and the BoE Governor( in monetary terms) are making decisions in order to stabilise the economy, notably to reduce inflation, the luxury of fairness doesn't come into the equation. Allowing inflation to take hold will damage most peoples' finances.The small amount gained in savings accounts as interest rates rise, assuming the banks and building societies pass on the rises which they don't until there's an outcry, is outstripped by the rise in the cost of living.

They are journos. Hike provides emotion and increase does not. I'm just glad I am the other side of whatever it is with a problem with far less impact than families starting to make their way.

Re: those increases....

When it went from 5% to 5.25% that was a 5% uplift/increase on the starting point of 5%.

The expected but not taken increase from 5.25% to 5.50% would have been a 4.76% uplift.

When seen as a 0.25% increase it 'sounds' modest but when viewed as the uplift difference of 5% or thereabouts......is that a hike by comparison :thinking:

Outside PIR get-to-the-garage light packed in. Direct replacement? No chance, so I need an outside junction box (old unit has an internal, accessible connector, new one is pre-wired). CBA to fight through town (again) to Toolstation/Screwfix so big river will bring me one tomorrow.

Direct replacement? No chance, so I need an outside junction box (old unit has an internal, accessible connector, new one is pre-wired).
Don't you just hate that?
I had the same when I could.'t get a proper halogen outside light and had to make do with a LED one. :(
Which BTW one year on is broken, and the halogen bulbs lasts for many years, (the sensor went, hence the change) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
On the plus side, a Toolstation visit means we pass Speed Motorcycles so we popped in to see what they have in at the moment. As it happens, they have my old Rocket III back again! Someone's spent a bit of cash on the old girl and she's still looking good.

Reactions: zx9
Don't you just hate that?
I had the same when I could.'t get a proper halogen outside light and had to make do with a LED one. :(
Which BTW one year on is broken, and the halogen bulbs lasts for many years, (the sensor went, hence the change) :rolleyes:
I don't like the way LED seems to warm up, only short delay but Halogen was instant.

The half second or so that it takes an LED to get up to full brightness (far better than the old compact fluorescents!) gives me time to grab the laundry basket off the sofa.

gives me time to grab the laundry basket off the sofa.
That begs the question, why is the laundry basket on the sofa?

Hmmm! this is not the daft question thread.........but yes, why was the laundry basket on the sofa ?

PS but as for LEDs with a start time......ones we have on standard switches come on instantly but our dimmer ones do have a "ramp" time of around a second. When I first fitted them I found it an irritation but used to it now.

NB for others planning on swapping out incandescent bulbs for LEDs on your dimmer lighting you need to install dedicated dimmers as the old ones used with incandescent bulbs are not suitable for use with LEDs

Last edited:
Hmmm! this is not the daft question thread....
I think your'll find that most of the talk sections, turn into that, from time to time :D

Because I need at least one hand to open the door and it's easier to put the basket down on the sofa (in the conservatory) and pick it up again with both hands than it is to juggle with it on a hip. Depending on the weather, I sometimes open the garage door as well before collecting the laundry.

Because I need at least one hand to open the door and it's easier to put the basket down on the sofa (in the conservatory) and pick it up again with both hands than it is to juggle with it on a hip. Depending on the weather, I sometimes open the garage door as well before collecting the laundry.
I am very confused. :runaway:

Ok, here's a walkthrough...
Open house to conservatory door.
Take laundry into conservatory and put it down on the sofa.
Unlock and open conservatory to garden door (and hook back if windy and/or unlock, open and hook back garage door if wet and windy.)
Pick up basket and take to garage - either straight in (if door hooked back) or put on table beside garage door and open/enter if not.
Stuff and start tumble drier.
Return to house. closing and locking doors as necessary.

Unlock and open conservatory to garden door (and hook back if windy and/or unlock, open and hook back garage door if wet and windy.)
Pick up basket and take to garage - either straight in (if door hooked back) or put on table beside garage door and open/enter if not.
Got it. :)
The garage confused me, I didn't know the tumble drier lived there. :ROFLMAO:

Ah! No space for it in the house! (OR a dishwasher!!!)

Phew! sounds like a military exercise just to dry the clothes :)

Outside PIR get-to-the-garage light packed in. Direct replacement? No chance, so I need an outside junction box (old unit has an internal, accessible connector, new one is pre-wired). CBA to fight through town (again) to Toolstation/Screwfix so big river will bring me one tomorrow.

Arrived and all fitted. Sensitivity and timer set, just need to sort the light level at which it comes on so keeping an eye on the window so when it's dark enough, I can finish the job. Only slight problem might be rain but that's (allegedly!) not due until 20:00.

Arrived and all fitted. Sensitivity and timer set, just need to sort the light level at which it comes on so keeping an eye on the window so when it's dark enough, I can finish the job. Only slight problem might be rain but that's (allegedly!) not due until 20:00.
You're ahead of me. This is a "sometime this week" job.
20230924_174102.jpg

Political posts moved to, errr take a guess

Better not say that the garage door is to the left of the back door then... :p

Had to fit, yet another plastic hose connection for mum's (98) hosepipe (she still waters her own garden!!!). They just go brittle and break. I'm going to get a "proper" brass one, the next time I am in Screwfix but will no doubt find that the internal seals and washers will leak on those, as they are no longer made of "proper" materials (like in the olden days of my youth!).

Political posts moved to, errr take a guess

Oh..I see it's in politics now..well, all but the football result which shouldn't, on it's own, be in here. It's now out of context. Some must be wondering why I've put a football result in here. My exchange with Chris was about language not politics. I just used some examples that journalists use and two alluded to political reporting. There are no political views in there. 'Vast majority 'could apply to anything as could 'frantic negotiations' and 'landmark ruling' from a court... Dunno. I could put this in WBMT ...:D

Chris was about language not politics. I just used some examples that journalists use and two alluded to political reporting
If you read all the posts I moved, not just yours, we had brexit, ulez, politican bashing and more.
Just to remind you...

OoF has now been renamed...To the lounge.

It is intended to be a safe space, by all means chew the fat, put the world to rights, ask non related photography questions,
have a laugh with and generally chat to your forum mates.
However, anything remotely contentious or becomes contentious will be immediately moved to Hot topics.
The list includes but is not exhaustive, Political discussions & Religious discussions.

Any Site staff, that is admin or moderators, decisions, on what is and what isn't contentious, is not open for discussion.
And OK football post deleted

Last edited:
Just recieved this in my news feed.

UK's 'most photographed tree' based at Scotland and England border has been chopped down​

Just what's the country coming to.

Last edited:
Just recieved this in my news feed.

UK's 'most photographed tree' based at Scotland and England border has been chopped down​

Just what's the country coming to.
Yes, bl***y annoying to say the least :mad:

Has its own discussion thread here

Yes, bl***y annoying to say the least :mad:

Has its own discussion thread here
Thanks for the link.

WAMT?

Absolutely bugger all.
But of course there is 9 hours and 15 minutes left.
So there is still time (y)

I think you are being a little harsh

To be fair OED has two definitions, that you quote above and also 'a sharp increase, especially in price'. The latter is apt.

Every increase on the tails of the last, as you say pretty much the rate has risen regularly every 6 weeks or so. I have no idea if you have a young family with a huge mortgage trying to make ends meet but suspect not. Every additional lump added to outgoings is money you cannot use elsewhere. I suspect you and I are somewhat of an age with mortgage paid off and saving rates increasing helping our income with loans and mortgages a thing long ago.

My generation has had the best of things in recent generations. A mortgage has never been easy but jobs have usually been available. If you were somewhat lucky and prudent you have some savings and a pension and no need to seek adventures or stuff that you cannot afford Now.
No names, no pack drill but a younger relative of mine was moaning about the interest rate increases the other day. He took out a massive fixed rate mortgage about 3 or 4 years ago at something like 1.5% interest. He’s now panicking that he won’t be able to afford the payments when that deal expires in 2025. I suggested he could increase the term if things got too tight? Turns out he’s already had to push it to 29 years to be able to buy the house they wanted. Frankly I’ve not got much sympathy… a rise in interest was always on the cards, so why massively overcommit yourself like that? And what were the mortgage company thinking in letting him sign up to it? (Rhetorical question, as they don’t care). He’s not unintelligent, both he and his wife have masters degrees, but obviously not in finance!

He’s not unintelligent, both he and his wife have masters degrees, but obviously not in finance!
The myth that passing examinations indicates a higher level of intelligence should have been exploded long ago. My own experience indicates that those who followed an academic path, too often exhibit less "common sense" than those who didn't.

My own experience indicates that those who followed an academic path, too often exhibit less "common sense" than those who didn't.

Mine too. (y)

The acquisition of knowledge has nothing the do with one's 'ability' to learn. Some people are just more patient and steadfast than others.

Besides, 'common sense' isn't is it? As Einstein said; 'The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honours the servant and has forgotten the gift'.

Put a new cartridge in my HP Printer
Did think it felt slightly different as I put it in but - just finished the job and shut the lid down. Surprised it didn't print out the usual test page of multicoloured stuff.

Printed out the 2 sheets I wanted and HORRORS - no colour it was all black and white or grey !! Clearly this had not been a genuine HP Cartridge - not a happy bunny :(

NOW - where to get a GENUINE HP 26 colour cartridge ?

Put a new cartridge in my HP Printer
Did think it felt slightly different as I put it in but - just finished the job and shut the lid down. Surprised it didn't print out the usual test page of multicoloured stuff.

Printed out the 2 sheets I wanted and HORRORS - no colour it was all black and white or grey !! Clearly this had not been a genuine HP Cartridge - not a happy bunny :(

NOW - where to get a GENUINE HP 26 colour cartridge ?
Looking at/for HP 26 inkjet carts and the "26" type found are all stated as black!

Can you say what model number printer you have???

it's an HP62 cartridge and the printer is an HP ENVY 5640

AND - I've just solved the problem - took both cartridges out , threw them up in the air and caught them and reinstalled both . This time the dodgy one felt OK . Shut the lid and the beast decided to calibrate the cartridges - as it should have done earlier . Got a nice test sheet out and printer now working absolutely fine :)

TECHNOLOGY !!

The myth that passing examinations indicates a higher level of intelligence should have been exploded long ago. My own experience indicates that those who followed an academic path, too often exhibit less "common sense" than those who didn't.
Yes, true. My ex wife’s got a friend who’s a university professor and a world authority in linguistics. Absolutely zero common sense and no practical abilities whatsoever.

You’d think, however, that someone who’s obviously intelligent would be able to work out that if the interest rates go up then they might not be able to afford the repayments? Or maybe it’s just typical of some of the younger generation that they just want it all now and don’t really consider the consequences?

Got sick of not having enough storage in 'my' room and trugged to Ikea to buy something more effective. Put it together and found myself just shuffling stuff around, mainly filling the new storage unit from the old, leaving the old emptyish and the new full and not too sure I have any more significantly usable space than I previously had. The even more downside is that I have realised that I have lost my flash triggers. I am now in a worse mood - Ikea / building flat pack / shuffling stuff / loosing triggers / no significant gain does that.

it's an HP62 cartridge and the printer is an HP ENVY 5640

AND - I've just solved the problem - took both cartridges out , threw them up in the air and caught them and reinstalled both . This time the dodgy one felt OK . Shut the lid and the beast decided to calibrate the cartridges - as it should have done earlier . Got a nice test sheet out and printer now working absolutely fine :)

TECHNOLOGY !!
Ah! nothing quite like juggling the numbers cartridges to solve it :LOL:

My new neighbour was getting broadband installed this afternoon
I was out when they arrived,, walked in I had no phone line or broadband
Went down to speak to the couple working on to be told they found a fault on the line and were sorting it,
odd that, all had been working fine 20 mins earlier before I had to go out and new neighbour was using my BB
at the time when it suddenly cut out
Three hours later and still being told it would be back in a couple of minutes I rang EE who promised to ger someone out to sort it in the next couple of days, at that point the one supposed to be installing the new internet admitted that the had cut my line :rolleyes:
They did eventually get me back online but at snail pace, I then had a call from an Openreach engineer, told him what had happened and I was now back line but very slow, he said he'd come and check it as he was only 10 mins away
Lucky he did, the other lot (not Openreach) had done a total bodge job using joiners that would probably last a year if we were lucky, before they corroded and caused problems

My BiL has quite a few degrees, headed up education at a couple of RAF training stations, lectured and used to write courses for the Open University. However, my sister makes all the decisions.A funny tale. A salesman called at the house one day..I can't recall what he was selling...my sister answered the door. The chap said...lol..."Is the man of the house available" . Have you ever seen a rocket take off ?. :D My sister told him, in no uncertain terms, that she was the one who makes the decisions. My BiL is unable to do even minor DIY jobs. Of course in the RAF he just put a call in for an RAF tradesman if anything needed doing in the quarters. I recall my dad telling me that when he visited my BiL was having a problem changing the fuse in an electric plug. His son..ie my nephew..also has a shed load of degrees..he was once head-hunted by Porton Down but declined on moral grounds. He's a consultant now but dear oh dear.. anything outside his field of expertise and he's lost. I didn't go to Uni but Tbh,when I see people that like that I'd rather have my level of common-sense and ,for the most part, good decision-making than a drawer full of high level academic achievements.

Back