WAMT....what annoyed me today!

I parked my car at Heathrow long stay car park for a few days, to the right side of my bay is a Yellow Marking, No Parking area. Perfect spot, as there shouldn't be any car next to it to open their doors in to mine and I can leave plenty of space on the other side fo the other car's driver.

What I I see when I get back from Italy? A massive Volvo SX90 or something parked in there! Leaving me about 3 inches of space to my driver's door.

On the other hand, it seems my massage cushion is alive again, I think the fuse in the universal adaptor had blown, the unit itself is fine.

So I'm sitting in the American Air Museum at IWM Duxford. My seat gives me a wonderful view of the only SR-71 outside the USA, so not unique but quite rare.

I see several people walk up and touch / caress the aircraft, despite the red rope clearly designed to discourage such behaviour.

Then a group of men appear chattering to each other - they start banging on the wing with their knuckles, I assume in a attempt to work out what it's made of.

At this point I cracked! "HEY GUYS IT'S A MUSEUM EXHIBIT LEAVE IT ALONE!" in an even toned voice but loud enough that everyone in the hall must have heard.

Off they wandered looking completely non pulsed by my outburst :-(

I've noticed this behaviour lots of times in all sorts of museums and art galleries, it's as if the object might be some kind of mirage and can only be verified with the touch of a hand??

One hand, two hands, ten hands, a thousand hands.

Lots of things in my house require constant cleaning (light switches, door handles, bannister rails etc) and there are only 3 of us, imagine if there were 100's or 1000's

Sorry rambling now

D

Trying to register our closest pharmacy for me to collect repeat prescriptions when the one beside the health centre closes. First, I had to input all my details to register with the umbrella company, then download an app (onto my phone - not a fan of having sensitive info there) then find the pharmacy. Which, according to their own app doesn't exist.

We went to a very large Garden Centre today and a fair bit of the floor area/shelving was taken up with Christmas items including 'blow-up' grinning Santas, reindeer, angels, plastic Christmas trees etc. One of the staff was setting up an artificial Christmas tree. It's over two months away. I found it a bit irritating tbh.It must have all been set up a good while, too.

So I'm sitting in the American Air Museum at IWM Duxford. My seat gives me a wonderful view of the only SR-71 outside the USA, so not unique but quite rare.

I see several people walk up and touch / caress the aircraft, despite the red rope clearly designed to discourage such behaviour.

Then a group of men appear chattering to each other - they start banging on the wing with their knuckles, I assume in a attempt to work out what it's made of.

At this point I cracked! "HEY GUYS IT'S A MUSEUM EXHIBIT LEAVE IT ALONE!" in an even toned voice but loud enough that everyone in the hall must have heard.

Off they wandered looking completely non pulsed by my outburst :-(

I've noticed this behaviour lots of times in all sorts of museums and art galleries, it's as if the object might be some kind of mirage and can only be verified with the touch of a hand??

One hand, two hands, ten hands, a thousand hands.

Lots of things in my house require constant cleaning (light switches, door handles, bannister rails etc) and there are only 3 of us, imagine if there were 100's or 1000's

Sorry rambling now

D
A few years ago we visited the National Gallery, Trafalgar Sq. Infront of the paintings is a red rope barrier but it didn't stop a lady leaning over to touch a painting. A member of staff saw her do it and told her in no uncertain terms she wasn't to do that. She yelled back at him !! I think she was asked to leave. I'm sure it was a painting of a 18th/19th century sailing ship entering a harbour in a storm and the white wave crests were slightly above the surface of the canvas so she wanted to "feel " them. :rolleyes:

In that gallery are paintings by Caravaggio, Canaletto, Turner, Constable,Rubens et al. It beggars belief.

We went to a very large Garden Centre today and a fair bit of the floor area/shelving was taken up with Christmas items
My large local one gets it's bits out every August bank holiday week end.
I make a point of going elsewhere for the rest of the year.

We went to a very large Garden Centre today and a fair bit of the floor area/shelving was taken up with Christmas items including 'blow-up' grinning Santas, reindeer, angels, plastic Christmas trees etc. One of the staff was setting up an artificial Christmas tree. It's over two months away. I found it a bit irritating tbh.It must have all been set up a good while, too.

As my Birthday is Christmas Day, you would think that I like seeing all the Xmas stuff out, which I do, in December. The beginning of October is still 3 months away fro Christmas Day. It's quite sad really....

All you Grinches, prey tell, what would you have retailers sell instead?

Useful stuff rather than the plastic s***e that seems to be on the shelves for begging with menaces night and the b*****d child's birthday...

Christmas is for Christmas time, it doesn't start at the end of September!

Edit:

As soon as it's over, there'll be Easter eggs in January....
Tell that to the people who buy it

What ever it was they cleared from the shelves to make way for the unseasonal displays.
That would be garden furniture and picnicware - much of which is sold out or does not sell beyond the end of September

Useful stuff rather than the plastic s***e that seems to be on the shelves for begging with menaces night and the b*****d child's birthday...
The useful stuff (very helpful suggestion btw) is still on sale in most places

That would be garden furniture and picnicware - much of which is sold out or does not sell beyond the end of September
Once upon a time that would be an end of season sale.

A spurious phone call from a spurious company saying that British Gas had told them to arrange a day to come and fix my smart meter. Er No! If British Gas want to fix my meter, they can contact me first and tell me that another company will be doing the work!

A spurious phone call from a spurious company saying that British Gas had told them to arrange a day to come and fix my smart meter. Er No! If British Gas want to fix my meter, they can contact me first and tell me that another company will be doing the work!

I got a call telling me there was "strange activity on my account" from Barclays. I don't bank with them... When I told him this the phone went dead.

Perhaps we need a Christmas Tax.

For any retailer with a turnover of £x(I'm sure someone could choose a figure that includes all the big players) have to pay a tax of £1,000,000(or some other suitably swingeing amount) a day for every day before December 1st that they display or advertise Christmas products.

Dave

Another piece of Chinese **** to go back to Amazon due to poor quality control! I was just going to bin it and take the hit but if you don't send it back, they'll keep selling more! This was straight out of the box, so no question.

Perhaps we need a Christmas Tax.

For any retailer with a turnover of £x(I'm sure someone could choose a figure that includes all the big players) have to pay a tax of £1,000,000(or some other suitably swingeing amount) a day for every day before December 1st that they display or advertise Christmas products.

Dave

£x being translated from the Roman number system!

Touching the top of a hot oven, yesterday,
and the blister not appearing until this morning,
right at the hand / thumb joint.
And of course everything I do, manages to interface, with that exact part of my anatomy.

Yes its bloody sore :(

My version of Windows updated to 22H2. There are niggles and the worst for me so far is that the "Move To" option is missing. It seems they've dropped some options including this and as I move photos and files about it's a pita for me.

For eg.
With the old version I could select a file in a folder, select "Move To" and select a folder to move it to.
What I have to do now is either copy or cut, navigate to the destination folder and paste or open a window to the destination folder and drag and drop from the original folder.

Looking on line there are cut and paste strings of code to put in regedit but really dropping these simple and easy to use options just seems utterly daft and exactly the sort of s!!t Microsoft does far too often.

I have the same version but had not noticed any changes but I would only move photos from within Lightroom. However, I have noticed in the past with Microsoft Office, they seem to have run out of feature improvements so sometimes remove existing features. Access has certainly deteriorated over the years.

Dave

I volunteer in a charity shop and what annoys me is people who come in obviously looking to make a profit, who then check
items they think are saleable on their phones and try and barter the price down, lying that they are buying for their old mum or aunt who would love it !!!
Don't they realise in this day and age even charity shop staff can check such things

I have the same version but had not noticed any changes but I would only move photos from within Lightroom. However, I have noticed in the past with Microsoft Office, they seem to have run out of feature improvements so sometimes remove existing features. Access has certainly deteriorated over the years.

Dave

Looking on line many people seem to have reported the issue I spotted and it's being described as being a mistake / oversight or whatever.... so hopefully at some point there'll be another update and they'll reappear.

I did think about doing the changes in regedit but decided against it in case something went wrong. I do fiddle with regedit quite often as Windows seems to update quite reguarly and often I look in a folder and see raws next to jpegs and all visible as thumbnail pictures whereas I'd rather see a thumbnail for the jpeg and a generic icon for the raw, this is just my preference. What I then have to do is go into regedit and delete all references to the different types of raw I have.

I volunteer in a charity shop and what annoys me is people who come in obviously looking to make a profit, who then check
items they think are saleable on their phones and try and barter the price down, lying that they are buying for their old mum or aunt who would love it !!!
Don't they realise in this day and age even charity shop staff can check such things
I did buy 3 CDs in a charity shop once for £1 and asked if I could get my money back if I didn't like them.
I just got a funny look :confused:

I have been known to offer full price on an item that someone's trying to haggle the price down on in a charity shop just so the cheapskate can't have it.

Almost all the books I buy come from them too - a great way to have a cheap look at new (to me) authors and once read, they can go back.

Well every day actually:

The increasing use of 'I personally' and 'I got it for free'.

English is doomed . . . :headbang:

Or sesquipedalianism.

WAMT is that having cleaned my car, a bird had cra**ed on by by the time I got home. Easily wiped off though - it was raining so still wet!

Sheffield Wednesday.
Since wining promotion weve had 3 managers, 13 games, 5 goals, no wins, 10 hours since we last scored. Now we are under EFL embargo for late HMRC payment.
At home to Rotherhan tomorrow should be fun. :(

Sheffield Wednesday.
Since wining promotion weve had 3 managers, 13 games, 5 goals, no wins, 10 hours since we last scored. Now we are under EFL embargo for late HMRC payment.
At home to Rotherhan tomorrow should be fun. :(
But you're keeping us off the bottom of the table! :D

But you're keeping us off the bottom of the table! :D
Much as I'd like to help Marc,, Wednesday are keeping nobody off the bottom, we've claimed that for ourselves.

Companies who push the eco packaging as part of their product promotion..

"Eco-friendly Packaging FSC Mix-certified, thanks to its sustainable packaging. The Eco-Friendly Packaging-Paper-based materials is not only light weight and overall volume is as low as possible, for more efficient shipping."

BUT when it arrived to me, they still had every leaflet, booklet and cables in plastic bags (7 bags), plus cable ties! :headbang:

Not everywhere recycles the plastics.

:exit:

Not everywhere recycles the plastics.
I agree it's annoying...

...but, many big supermarkets have a bag recycling box somewhere near their main entrance. We save ours up and drop them off when we nip in for something.

Plastic bag full of plastic bags Ixus 70 MG_4415.JPG

Back