Beginner Want an Upgrade

Name
Jakub
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi i'm a beginner photographer:dummy:, and graphics design student:pics:, who is interested in photography as a hobby. However i am interested in becoming an event and commission photographer/designer (If thats a thing:asshat:).

Currently i am using a Pentax ist D S, which is outdated and doesn't suit my needs. I have many accessories for this camera and three lenses.
I use it for all types of photography, as i am still a student and trying to find my style. However i want to stay with Pentax:pentax: as i already have lenses for the cameras and, are good in quality, and, cherished by photographers. I was thinking of purchasing the K-70, with another, newer 18-50mm lens as the 18-55mm(DA) i have now, is outdated(but unsure if that makes a difference). My other lenses don't support AF.
I want to use the camera for 7+ years and make money from it(Is that over ambitious?), so it cannot be prone to faults.
Also when picking a camera, should i go for used or new? I noticed that a new body for the K-70 is over £900, with tax, RRP. Which is a lot for me but not afraid(maybe a little afraid:whistle:) to spend, if that means ill benefit from it in the long run.
If you think I'm aiming too high, and would not be able to use the camera to its potential:notworthy: or would just be better off buying something else, please say so, and suggest a better option for purchase! :plus1:
I'm open to all suggestions,:ty:

However did the old masters manage to even take a photo with something so crude and out of date as a plate camera... :(

You know, too, the emoticons aren't compulsory either don't you?

Good Photographers take GOOD photo's, not more fancy cameras.

If you want to 'upgrade' both your camera AND your main lens, why insist you must stick to the marque?

Yes... having aspirations of making money from your camera, as a student, and not even a photography one, DOES seem a little ambitious to me.
Be a bit like me grabbing a halfords socket set, and telling every-one I wanted to be a car designer, so what screw-driver should I buy!
I spent four years at university studying mechanical engineering, and I still wasn't qualified to do much more than be handed a nut and bolt and be asked why the lads on the shop floor couldn't get them in the right hole! Let alone design even a whole component for a car, much less the whole dang thing!

Back to top... get techo-geek ideas in perspective... old gear is old gear, new gear is new gear, and neither make much odds to a photo, where its down to the photographer to pick the most SUITABLE gear for the job, whatever that may be, whether its new or old, full of features and gadgets or not... and down to their skill and know how to make it do what they want either which way.. and that is probably more important to get than a new camera.

Irishman directions... try starting some-where else... and if at uni and studying something else.... worry about that, not your hobby, or trying to make a job from your hobby, not your college course.... if you want to do your hobby as a job... switch courses to one that will make that your job..... pick camera to suit what you need it to do... and be a bit cute to recognize the difference between wants and needs.

That is kinda like someone who just bought their first car and changed the oil saying they want to be a pro mechanic.

There is too much of a leap between the two.

When someone pays actual hard cash to a photographer they expect someone who does a better job than uncle Tony who is a half decent amateur.

I'd suggest a used Pentax K3 or K3II, and looking in the Classifieds in the Pentax User forum. Also, being a Pentax only site, you'll get a lot of friendly Pentax advice, but not exclusively so, as many members shoot other brands too.

Last edited:
Yes... having aspirations of making money from your camera, as a student, and not even a photography one, DOES seem a little ambitious to me.
Be a bit like me grabbing a halfords socket set, and telling every-one I wanted to be a car designer, so what screw-driver should I buy!
I spent four years at university studying mechanical engineering, and I still wasn't qualified to do much more than be handed a nut and bolt and be asked why the lads on the shop floor couldn't get them in the right hole! Let alone design even a whole component for a car, much less the whole dang thing!
That is kinda like someone who just bought their first car and changed the oil saying they want to be a pro mechanic.

I get a feeling the emojis made you think i'm a little dumb. Sorry...
:withstupid:
Lets say, you study engineering, but not strictly mechanical...
After buying the socket set, servicing your vehicle, changing the oil, filters(most of them anyway), and brake pads(just turns out you had to), and while your at it replace the suspension arm, as the knocking annoyed you, you ask one of your mechanic friends what screwdriver, no... what lever, you need to take bolts off... "The long one or the short one?, do i need more leverage?". eventually you pop back into Halfords anyway.

If you catch my drift;). You can own a car dealership, with a moderate of knowledge mechanics, but its always good to ask that one guy who directs a Mercedes dealership before buying one.

Last edited:
Update
Hi, i managed to get a used Pentax K3 with two lenses for £500 whole set included, boxed-up and barely opened. Thank you for the advice!:ty:

I get a feeling the emojis made you think i'm a little dumb. Sorry...
:withstupid:
Lets say, you study engineering, but not strictly mechanical...
After buying the socket set, servicing your vehicle, changing the oil, filters(most of them anyway), and brake pads(just turns out you had to), and while your at it replace the suspension arm, as the knocking annoyed you, you ask one of your mechanic friends what screwdriver, no... what lever, you need to take bolts off... "The long one or the short one?, do i need more leverage?". eventually you pop back into Halfords anyway.

If you catch my drift;). You can own a car dealership, with a moderate of knowledge mechanics, but its always good to ask that one guy who directs a Mercedes dealership before buying one.
Sorry, but having looked at your work (a good starting point but a long way to go), if we’re following that analogy through, your car would no longer be roadworthy.
You might have ‘had a go’ at those jobs, but you didn’t make a very good job of them, and by the time you’re successfully completing those jobs, you’ll no longer need to ask about the right tools to use.

Anyhow, it looks like you made a purchase, please keep sharing and hopefully we can help you improve to achieve your dreams.

Back