Workshop Wanted----- Lightroom Tuition

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Would like to find tuition please that could help me with the finer points of Lightroom

Most courses seem to be for beginners, I know the rudimentary actions such as importing,exporting, cropping and basic adjustments, but need help with the fine tuning.

Something around Cambridge would be ideal, but can travel by public transport so central London is possible or anywhere else reasonably accessible.

So if you can recommend a course/tutor or feel you could assist (obviously making some cash into the bargain) please let me know

Thanks
Rich

Rich,

No idea about courses down your way. But when I started out on Lightroom I did something so totally unusual that peole statred talking about me. I bought a book. Remember them?
Great thing. I had it open next to me and I just worked my way through it. Much easier than these pesky app things that you can't easily flick backwards and forwards through. Try it. I might work.

This seems to be the current one, and whilst it's not for CC it won't be too far different...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photoshop-...38971&sr=1-1&keywords=lightroom+6+scott+kelby

Rich,

No idea about courses down your way. But when I started out on Lightroom I did something so totally unusual that peole statred talking about me. I bought a book. Remember them?
Great thing. I had it open next to me and I just worked my way through it. Much easier than these pesky app things that you can't easily flick backwards and forwards through. Try it. I might work.

This seems to be the current one, and whilst it's not for CC it won't be too far different...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photoshop-...38971&sr=1-1&keywords=lightroom+6+scott+kelby

Thank you, must be unusual too because I do remember books, in fact I had that very book for LR3 and it's what I learnt the basics from.

What I'm after is a few tips and hints to tweak things and also a bit more on the printing aspect. LR has changed so much and about time I got a new book for version 6, was thinking about this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Phot...7941419&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=lightroom+quedn

Not a course as such and it is not the latest version (Lightroom 4) but quite a lot is relevant to to the latest version and there are 17.5hrs of free videos.

http://en.elephorm.com/tuto-lightroom-4-complete-training/lightroom-4-introduction.html

Thanks Rob, I will definitely have a look, these people know so much more and well worth listening to

I'm currently using the 10 day trial on Lynda.com, they have plenty of courses on there for Lightroom, and although I've used Lightroom for ages, I've learned lots.

Thanks all, so many tutorials on YouTube so it's treat to have some recommendations.

Think it may he an age thing, but I definitely learn more readily from a book or even better in person, find my attention span is diminished looking at a screen

I definitely learn more readily from a book or even better in person, find my attention span is diminished looking at a screen

Me too !!! :)

Though I find even staring at a book make my mind go wandering elsewhere lol - so I defo learn best from a real person

Pointless post really as I can't suggest anyone anywhere near you, but good luck finding what you need

Dave

Me too !!! :)

Though I find even staring at a book make my mind go wandering elsewhere lol - so I defo learn best from a real person

Pointless post really as I can't suggest anyone anywhere near you, but good luck finding what you need

Dave

Think it's going to be hard finding what I'm after, basically need to say what I want to learn and have it tailored from that. No interest in learning about sharing via the many mediums, photo books, watermarking or anything vaguely commercial.

When I use a book find it works best when as mentioned above its used as a reference guide, couldn't just sit and read through endless chapters.

No doubt Web based tools are handy for many people, sadly not great for me or you either it seems, if I can't find anything local might just hop on an East Coast train and head up north. Saw one person in York offering something that might suit, my HQ was based there for a while and its only about two hours each way from home.
Frequently travel to Leeds and then onwards for a days photography, so no reason why not for a suitable course.

We shall see, was hoping someone on here could help out on a spare day and earn themselves some cash

Last edited:
For me I've found it's best to just use it until you come up against something you can't do, then just go of a learn that then move on. Ive been using Lightroom for over 2 years and I've still got L Plates.

For me I've found it's best to just use it until you come up against something you can't do, then just go of a learn that then move on. Ive been using Lightroom for over 2 years and I've still got L Plates.

I agree up to a point, but there are things that the books just don't tell you or explain clearly enough.

Over the years I have had versions 1, 3 and now 6, but would like to learn from someone who utilizes its full potential

I run an LR evening class at our local college. Your words are typical of my students and for some people it's the best way to learn. Focussed (undisturbed) environment. Easy to ask questions. Great for picking up tips.Social.

Bit far for you to travel up here in Chestershire though!

I run an LR evening class at our local college. Your words are typical of my students and for some people it's the best way to learn. Focussed (undisturbed) environment. Easy to ask questions. Great for picking up tips.Social.

Bit far for you to travel up here in Chestershire though!

Wish my local places of education did something similar and yes it is a bit too distant for me, sounds just the job though.

What I do if its any use is having a dual monitor set up is when I get stuck google the solution ( you tube, adobe or whatever) and put that on the second monitor so I can work through the solution with the photograph I want to edit.
I find it easier than having a book in one hand and a mouse in the other

What I do if its any use is having a dual monitor set up is when I get stuck google the solution ( you tube, adobe or whatever) and put that on the second monitor so I can work through the solution with the photograph I want to edit.
I find it easier than having a book in one hand and a mouse in the other
That's just what I do, but using my iPad.

I agree up to a point, but there are things that the books just don't tell you or explain clearly enough.

Over the years I have had versions 1, 3 and now 6, but would like to learn from someone who utilizes its full potential
I didn't mean books, I was talking about the Web. I'm looking a Lynda.com now and there loads of courses that go deep into it. It really is worth taking a look you have 10 days to try for free.

Have a search on youtube for Julieanne Kost, some of her lightroom tutorials are very good.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions, had a look at some of the web based tutorials, some are quite good, but others are very manic and it seems like the presenters just want to be video stars

Have a search on youtube for Julieanne Kost, some of her lightroom tutorials are very good.

Must say this lady is my favourite so far, not sure why they call her a Digital Imaging Evangelist, but she is softly spoken and calm.

Still looking for the real life solution, so any recommendations or offers gratefully received

Back