Beginner Wanting to buy a new camera.

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
No
Hi, I am currently looking at a film camera on eBay at the moment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171684558314?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I am wanting to buy it to use for personal use and was wondering if anyone could check it out and let me know if it is good enough and what price you think I should pay at most?
The seller has some nice photos on there but I don't really know if they are genuinely from the camera and so need some help in making a decision.

Thanks in advance.

I would advise you to go for something digital - the immediacy of the results allows you to feedback improvements right away. Here is one of Sony's less popular models, which will probably be less than than £100 at the end. It is capable of good results, I used to have one. Other TP 'ers will be able to point you towards other brands, which I don't know so much about.

It's aperture-priority only, would be ok if you want to try film. The lens is a Series E 50mm, good lens and well regarded but not worth a huge amount. The body looks ok and it's pretty clean inside so might be worth a punt. Personally I wouldn't pay much more than the starting bid, maybe £35 tops, but I wouldn't be surprised if the lens takes the price up to around £50.

If it were my money, I'd be looking for an FG (not an FG-20) with a 50mm f/1.8 lens. Cracking little camera, allows you to shoot fully manual so you've got a little more flexibility than the EM when you want to start trying different things. They can be found for the same sort of money but I think prices have been rising recently.

If you definitely want a film camera I would agree with Dean above (no relation to God above). The FG is a cracking little camera, well built and neat. The E series Nikon lenses are excellent for the money (all manual focus though).
You could also look at the Olympus line of film SLR cameras, they are also neatly made and well built and the Olympus Zuiko lenses are well worth using, very sharp.

Andy

Agree with Dean and Andy. I have an EM and an FG.

The EM is not much more than a point n shoot. The light meters are known to be a weak point. Mine works occasionally.

The FG is about the same size but has all the control you could want and the metering is superb.

I paid £40 for my perfect condition FG, body only.

Matthew, if you want to shoot film, I too agree with Dean, Andy and Simon. The FG is a much more versatile camera than the EM. You might also want to consider the all manual and mechanical FM or the electronic FE, all great cameras.

Matthew, All the above is sound advise,I have an EM also and it is a great little walk about camera and with the E series 50mm takes a very good quality photograph,if you could stretch to the FM I feel it would be able the scratch your film itch for longer,but,of course would cost more.

Yep all good advice my 2p would be the FG and a 50mm f1.8

Nobody has asked to what digital gear Matthew has..if Nikon then OK, but plenty of other cameras available and lenses would be cheaper and just as good.....for trying film.

Nobody has asked to what digital gear Matthew has..if Nikon then OK, but plenty of other cameras available and lenses would be cheaper and just as good.....for trying film.

Fair point. I just assumed he was a Nikon guy.

Mathew?

I certainly am.:)

Fair point. I just assumed he was a Nikon guy.

Mathew?

There is one thing in its favour in keeping to Nikon:- there could be a free for all for posting of all makes of cameras...... which adds to confusion :D

Last edited:
There is one thing in its favour in keeping to Nikon:- there could be a free for all for posting of all makes of cameras...... which adds to confusion :D

What? Er...... what? Confusion is the only word in this sentence that makes sense.:)

That's a fair point, by now there would have been talk of at least a praktica, I'd have jumped in and said get an om and there would be one deluded soul suggesting Canon...

Another Nikon to consider is the F301. Goes for way less on ebay than any other Nikon body. Paid £12.99 for mine & it was mint. Very capable camera for so little money. Certainly a better buy than an EM. FG will cost best part of £40. Cracking little camera though.

Another Nikon to consider is the F301. Goes for way less on ebay than any other Nikon body. Paid £12.99 for mine & it was mint. Very capable camera for so little money. Certainly a better buy than an EM. FG will cost best part of £40. Cracking little camera though.

Well I agree...I have the N2000 which is the same camera and bought it at a bargain price.

The F301 does represent a very capable camera available for very little. I have two, one being a present and the other bought as a faulty "won't power on" ebay item. The contacts on the battery carrier are a little insecure and tend to get mucky if not use for a while, so I gambled that was was why the second one wouldn't power up and fortunately I was correct. They are a bit more fragile than the metal bodied Nikons but still produce good results through an E series lens if not given rough treatment. I like to carry mine in a half case for a bit of bump protection.

Oh I see, duh, I'm thick me.

My first film camera an f301, lovely bit of kit.

H'mm it looks like Matthew made one post and disappeared :rolleyes: so talk amongst yourselves guys :D

I would advise you to go for something digital - the immediacy of the results allows you to feedback improvements right away. Here is one of Sony's less popular models, which will probably be less than than £100 at the end. It is capable of good results, I used to have one. Other TP 'ers will be able to point you towards other brands, which I don't know so much about.

Have you shot film?

Back