Warning: 40% Sigma Price Rise 1st Feb!

Edit My Images
No
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...UK_prices_close_to_40_update_news_275948.html

Independent lens maker Sigma has become the latest photography firm to announce price increases, mainly as a result of 'currency fluctuations'.

The increases will take effect from 1 February and are likely to average close to 40%.

The extent of the price rises will vary from product to product but will reflect the '40%' devaluation of the pound against the Japanese yen, according to a spokesman for Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd.

In a statement the firm said: 'It's a very long time since prices in the photo/imaging market increased. Cameras and lenses fell in price until they offered incredibly good value for money.

'In times of recession it seems counter-intuitive for prices to rise but that's exactly what is about to happen...'

Sigma added that, wherever possible, it will keep price rises to a minimum and that it may be possible to buy lenses from retailers at the original prices, while stocks last.

Earlier today Canon announced a second wave of price rises, following its price hike earlier this month.

Get those 10-20 and 150 macro's ordered quick!! :eek: :thumbsdown:

Wowzers - good spot there lookup.

Lucky i got my 105 macro this week!!

Ouch. Glad I am not in the market for lenses at the moment. Still this could help those wishing to sell theirs off as this will ripple through the second hand market.

This is redicularse.
More and more people are losing jobs, getting houses repossessed, yet the price of everything is still going UP.

Hardly surprising we're in the poo really........

Hmm there's me thinking of buying a Sigma 50-500 lens. A 40% rise would be a massive increase on price.

pleased i just bought the Sigma 10-20 i wias wanting.

seems alot to jump but other brands have done it

if people need kit some will pay the prices at all costs

Anyone ordering a 50-150, make sure you don't get fobbed off with a Series I (unless you want one, at a lower price, natch). The Series II is marked with "50-150mm 1:2.8 II" to the right of the distance scale window, and has a centre-pinch cap.

Also bear in mind that the 50-150 is for cropped sensors.

It's amazing what 'forthcoming price rises' do for short term sales ;)

It can only be good news for the Second Hand market though.

Cheers,
James

In what way? People base their 2nd hand prices on current prices for new - often they are asking more for them now than they initially paid, brand new, 3-4 years ago :wacky:

Sorry, I should have clarified on my post - it will mean better prices for SELLERS in the second hand market.

I don't see why? Surely it's a persons right to sell what they like, for how much they like.

If someone wants to buy it, they will get a sale - but it's the buyers responsibility to consider whether they deem it a fair price or not?

that might put an end to me 10-20 hopes for this summer!

If you can afford to get one now, I would suggest Amazon as they are the cheapest at the moment.
Another member has recently ordered one and I was going to as well until I found a new Canon 10-22 at a pre increase price.

All cameras and lenses have had a 20-40 percent price increase over the last few weeks. Canon 1DMKIII has gone up to £3050 from £2229 and the 24-105 F4 L IS is now £950 from £650.

I don't see why? Surely it's a persons right to sell what they like, for how much they like.

If someone wants to buy it, they will get a sale - but it's the buyers responsibility to consider whether they deem it a fair price or not?

I'm talking about profiteering on the forums....i.e. buying for one price then selling later on for an inflated price. That's not on.

buying at current market values one year and selling for current market values isn't profiteering IMO.

There are examples of profiteering but I don't think most peoples buying and selling would fall into it.

buying at current market values one year and selling for current market values isn't profiteering IMO.

There are examples of profiteering but I don't think most peoples buying and selling would fall into it.

There was an example on here only qa couple of weeks ago. The guy bought a lens a year earlier and then attempted to sell it a year on for a huge price increase....the sale got removed.

Canon 1DMKIII has gone up to £3050 from £2229 and the 24-105 F4 L IS is now £950 from £650.

These sort of price increases are outrageous up £800 and £300, companies deserve to go to the wall for those sort of increases :thumbsdown:

Bugger.

I should've picked up a 10-20 last year when I had the money. Looks lilke I'll have to sell more stuff to boost the new lens coffers. Anyone want to buy a wife?

Why?
As andrewc stated, it's simply because of the change in currency.

So your saying it's nothing to do with normal price increase then, why then are some shops selling stock they bought months ago at the old prices, and now trying to sell them at the new prices, thats out of order in my book :(

So your saying it's nothing to do with normal price increase then, why then are some shops selling stock they bought months ago at the old prices, and now trying to sell them at the new prices, thats out of order in my book :(

If they are doing this then I agree with you.
However, they are not going to be doing themselves a favour in the slightest.
We all know how expensive this hobby is and I am sure we all have been keeping an eye on prices.
There is no way I would pay WHE current price for the Canon 10-22mm and I am also sure manyy others wouldn't either.
I lack patience and when I want something I buy it but even I have to draw a line.
Sales are going to fall in general and sure, there are those who have lots of spare cash sat in the bank who probably will not be bothered by the price rises.
There are also plenty of people who have to save hard for their kit and I think there are a lot of members here who fall into that catergory.

40% is pretty much how much Sterling has dropped against the US dollar and Japanese Yen. Its merely a corrective price change.

That would be true if 100% of the retail price of the lens was manufacturing cost - but it isn't. The UK distribution cost, the cost of the retailers overheads; premesis, salaries etc hasn't changed with the falling pound, they have gone down with it. Some corrective price change is probably necessary but not by the same amount as the pound has fallen.

Andrew

That is somewhat out of order, but the price rises on newly imported stock are due to currency.

Although if you were able to sell pre-price rise stuff at the new price wouldn't you think about it?

Bugger.

I should've picked up a 10-20 last year when I had the money. Looks lilke I'll have to sell more stuff to boost the new lens coffers. Anyone want to buy a wife?

Is she compatable with a Nikon D90 or is she manual focus? :naughty::LOL:

That is somewhat out of order, but the price rises on newly imported stock are due to currency.

Although if you were able to sell pre-price rise stuff at the new price wouldn't you think about it?

Doesn't it rather depend whether you sell something at a price based on what you paid for it or based on what it will cost you to replace the stock? If prices are rising rapidly then you could well end up making a loss on slow-moving items when you come to replace them.

Of course, from a business point of view selling price should really be based on profit-maximisation and not purchase price.

Andrew

"In a statement the firm said: 'It's a very long time since prices in the photo/imaging market increased. Cameras and lenses fell in price until they offered incredibly good value for money."

I pretty much take that as "we were shafting you beforehand" statement.

And for what it's worth why shouldn't someone sell a lens for more than they paid for it, if you don't like it then don't buy it, otherwise good luck to them.

Just bought a Sigma 10-20 from Amazon, they've only got one left now..........

im glad i have the majority of the lenses i want now

Back