Warning, disturbing photo inside! "Grip R.I.P"

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
So you clicked, I did warn you! :D

If you're like me and a little heavy handed then take note of the following, I know I'm not the first becuase there are a similar stories across the internet

I could have left the grip on untill I made the next upgrade but I wanted to get it done sooner rather than later. I over tightened the grip to a state of not being able to un-do it :eek: So with a little brute force I turned the wheel and nothing, a free spin! :D ok not funny :( €150 a time it's not something you want to do a second time!

Moral of the story DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN YOUR CAMERA GRIP - if you do then see the photos below becuause there is no other way of getting it off. Removal process took about 15 minutes, I did try using a different method of turning the little bolt on the inside but I could not get a grip on it..

New one in the post but for now I can only look at the final result's and look back at our good times together.. :D

Canon BG-E2N R.I.P fella :wave:!

Ouch!! :eek:

*goes off to loosen grips on both 50Ds*

Ouch!! :eek:

*goes off to loosen grips on both 50Ds*

:D

Good advice. But LOL :LOL:

Sorry to laugh mate, but your post was quite amusing!

I laughed, my wife failed to see the funny side of it :D

....I could have just left it on but it's one of those annoying things that just has to be delt with...

Oops, still least it was only the grip and not the body that got damaged

I taped the body off so as not to cause any damage...

pffffft , a bit of superglue and the jobs a good un :LOL:

Not sure about other manufacturers, but there are plenty of horror stories about the Canon grips and their use of plastic gears. Made me think twice about getting one, but then realised I wouldn't be taking it off ever.

ouch...makes me glad my cameras are 'all-inclusive'... not had a seperate drive/grip since my FM2 and F3 days...

You do know there's a little quick-release button accessed with a bent paper clip for instances like this?

Love the way you've framed the photos as well.

OOOPPPPSSSSSS a daisy

Loosen them lockin screws once every couple 'o' weeks (y)

Can I borrow your hammer I have a tight tap on the bath and I think that may just get it. Thanks in advance.

There's a lot to be said for the 1D series which obviously negates the need for a separate grip!

But I'm genuinely not trying to be elitist here, it's just that I've heard of this issue before and it seems such a lousy design to have a plastic gear wheel that can strip! I know that some engineering plastics are superb for a particular application, but it really doesn't seem to be the case here. Canon should be able to do better than this...

But I'm genuinely not trying to be elitist here, it's just that I've heard of this issue before and it seems such a lousy design to have a plastic gear wheel that can strip! I know that some engineering plastics are superb for a particular application, but it really doesn't seem to be the case here. Canon should be able to do better than this...

Indeed...

Bloody 'ell Martin, this is getting tedious;). The last three websites I've looked at have had this exact same thread on it :bang: Is this your 'claim to fame' :LOL:

You do know there's a little quick-release button accessed with a bent paper clip for instances like this?
:D I see you are still on form with your one line humour John :LOL:

I've not read anything about this before, any chance of some more info as no doubt it will happen to someone else soon.

:D

This is a very common problem with the BG-E2N / BG-E2 lot of them have failed. You should have read my post from a couple of weeks ago, I was lucky and mine failed putting it back on, so sent it away for the £50 repair.

If you had search hard and long on the web, you should have been able to find a post somewhere about taking it off with out destroying it ( some folk even have had to use a hack saw).

Apparently if you get a very small flat screwdriver and slide it in the thumb wheel gap you can tap the metal geared tripod bolt unloose.

If you had search hard and long on the web, you should have been able to find a post somewhere about taking it off with out destroying it ( some folk even have had to use a hack saw).

Apparently if you get a very small flat screwdriver and slide it in the thumb wheel gap you can tap the metal geared tripod bolt unloose.

I did a good search before I removed it - I tried to get at the screw but failed, in the end I used the lethal method.. :LOL:

Back