Was your choice the right one?

Name
Steve, Coventry, England
Edit My Images
Yes
There have been a few really in depth discussions where people have asked advice or opinions about what camera or system would be right for them.

It would be interesting to hear how they feel about their choice after they have had chance to settle in with whatever they bought.

I changed to Panasonic Lumix M43 about 20 months ago, and for me it has added a lot to my enjoyment, and was the right system for me, and feel no urge to look for anything else, and don't feel I am missing anything I really need.
In terms of weight, features, performance and affordability, it would be impossible for me to do better for the way I use it.

Buying a proper digital camera was a big thing for me. It took me a long time, and it had to be the right one that would last for a while. I've never subscribed to GAS, so I was looking for something that was solid and familiar with a good spec. You can probably guess that I went for a Fuji. It's still going strong, and never ceases to amaze me.

I've made two mistakes which I should have avoided. Firstly with my first digital camera, a Fuji S602 pro zoom. The focus was too slow and I really should have bought the Canon DSLR which was out at the time. When I did buy into Canon DSLR's they were arguably the best at that time. Switching to MFT with the Panasonic GF1 was a mistake as I quickly found I couldn't manage without a VF/EVF and changed to the G1. Other than that I've been mostly happy with my decisions apart from the Panasonic GX7 and G7 which had technical and handling issues.

I now have too many Panasonic MFT cameras (4,) a 1" sensor Panasonic compact, a Fuji X100f and a FF Sony A7 which is by far my most used camera and I should really look to offload most of the Panasonic MFT kit and the Fuji. It's all lovely kit but the advantages it offers over the A7 in speed of operation, silent shooting or size and weight advantages when using longer lenses are only advantages in some limited circumstances which are really just a tiny percentage of what I do.

Moved from Nikon D300S to OM-D EM1 largely driven by size/weight as I was making lots of compromises when travelling or on holiday in particular. That was almost a decade ago and I'm still not sure it was the right choice.

I've always been a Canon crop sensor guy, Since I returned to photography, some years ago, from film.
I've never suffered from GAS, but I did through the years invest heavily in lens,
Fron the 400D through various models. I still have my gripped 7Dii and more recently ( the last couple of years or so) added an M50 for macro, due to the weight.
I'm half tempted to move on to the R7... but cost v use is a factor.

When I got my first DSLR, a Canon 350D, I was very happy with it, I loved that thing. I still have it. That was me bought into the Canon EF system and my lens collection grew to about 6 lenses over the years.

I dabbled with Fuji, alongside my Canon gear for a while. At the time, I was using a 7D. I didn't get on with the 7D but I loved the Fuji files they were much cleaner. I almost went full Fuji, and I don't think I would've regretted doing so but a mate advised me to stay with Canon, as that is where I already owned the good glass.

I currently have a 5Div, an R7 and a camera that was supposed to be a stop gap for the R7 but I can't part with it, an M5, a lovely little thing. I also have 6 or 7 L glass lenses.

Now we have the R system but I'm in no rush to change fully to RF, what I have takes pictures and that will do.

I've not regretted sticking with Canon, although the 7D did test my loyalty towards them.

although the 7D did test my loyalty towards them.
That wasn't one of their best was it? terrible iso handling was its down fall as far as I was concerned

First proper digital camera was an Olympus E420 which I used for a few years then changed for the E30.

Took the mirrorless plunge in 2020 and decided the Olympus Em1 MkII had everything and more than I needed. Still happy with that decision three years on.

That wasn't one of their best was it? terrible iso handling was its down fall as far as I was concerned
I found it the most exacting and frustrating camera from all those that I have owned.
Get the exposure just off and noisy even at low iso's.
On the other hand it was excellent to hold and use.

The 7D was actually a fine camera at the time, spec wise, it was let down badly by the sensor though. It took exposing to the right to the extreme. Some copies seemed to be worse than others and apparently, there was a bad batch, I think mine was one of them, it was awful. Even when exposed correctly, there was an element of noise/grain to the files and also I found a softness to the RAW files, the noise was probably muting the detail, not a good example for a Canon flagship (at the time) crop sensor body. The 7D was a camera that needed the light, so probably not a camera well suited for the UK.

I hung on to my 7D, to part fund the rumoured 7Dmk3, which never happened, the R7 eventually came instead. I don't consider the R7 as the 7D range replacement but it's of that ilk. The R7 is much more forgiving, noise/grain wise. Like any sensor though, if the exposure is under, it will be noisy/grainy.

The 7D might now be a good buy though, if you have the likes of Topaz, you can pick a 7D up for under £200.

Last edited:
I have indulged in GAS quite tragically and excessively. such that I have a range of different cameras and a lens outfit for each. However my digital journey started with a Nikon D300, which was great, served me well etc. When I decided to update and get more substantially into this hobby a few years ago, I therefore stuck with Nikon, going for the D500, then bought a few FF lenses to go with it and eventually a D850. I'm very very pleased with all of the Nikon kit, its way better than I will ever be able to justify with my efforts, so the only excuses are down to my incompetence. However, I still wonder if I should have trusted my gut and gone for Pentax, as that was always my brand of choice for film, and the K3iiiMono I recently got is so good in the hand and relatively easy to navigate menus on, that I wonder if I should have gone K1ii and Pentax lenses. There's no way I would trade in my Nikon outfit though, it is superb.

For film I use Pentax and Nikon mostly for years, after having too many repairs on the Nikon I went pentax. Fast forward to digital I started with a Kodak and tried Nikon and Canon, after a year or so I more of less dropped the Nikon and have stuck with Canon .
Biggest regrets was buying cheap lens, buy cheap and you buy three lens, a cheap one, you buy a half decent one. Then finally a good one. Buy good, buy once.

The 7D was actually a fine camera at the time, spec wise, it was let down badly by the sensor though
I agree of it time it was a good camera and far superior to the 400D that I replaced.
But then of course, the 7DII was again far superior to the MK1

All my digital gear is Nikon, which I'm pleased with. I bought Nikon as I already had a couple of lenses from film days.
The only regret I have is last week I bought an ultrawide 12-24 zoom which I haven't taken to at all. If the shop doesn't have it back, I'll stick it on ebay.
Favourite lens is the 40mm Micro. I'd replace that straightaway it it got damaged.

I used to have a old Panasonic lumix 10-15 years ago that was a ok camera but it was limited in that you couldn't change the lens. Then due to r/l I didn't really have the time to use it anymore and to be honest im not even sure where it is anymore lol. Then last year I got my self a drone (mini 3 pro) and apart from enjoying the flying I also enjoyed being able to take photos from angles I wouldn't normaly be able to which restarted my love of taking photos so after looking around I got my self a canon R7 and ive enjoyed every minuet of getting to know the camera and taking wildlife photos.

I got my self a canon R7 and ive enjoyed every minuet of getting to know the camera
No need to make a song and dance about it :D

( sorry that was just too tempting to pass up)

Last edited:
I started with a Nikon D5600 that I got as I was enjoying general phone photography but wanted more.

The D5600 gave it in spades compared to the phones at the time but what I didn’t give it was time and sold it about 18 months later and went back to my phone as it was easier.

I stayed like that for about 24 months before appreciating I still wanted more than the phones could give but that I’d have to work for it.

When I returned to it this time I was dead set on going FF and more than likely a Sony A7 variant because Youtube says they are the best thing ever(!) however I ended up buying a Fujifilm XT-4 because it looked ‘fun’ and involving to use and like something I would have to learn to use vs the Sony.

Not saying that’s true I’m anyway of course. Was just my thoughts at the time.

At first I was completely happy with it but soon found I was only using it in certain planned situations and was still relying on my phone as a daily, which whilst nothing wrong with that I still wanted the benefits of a ‘proper’ camera for those occasions too but I was finding the XT-4 too much to always have to hand and walk about with on a daily.

Too bulky and ‘heavy’ and too obvious.

I accept that might also be down to me feeling awkward being out around town with a ‘big’ professional’ looking camera rather than anything based in reality!

Anyway. That got me looking for something pocketable. The obvious choice would have been the Fuji X100V but rocking horse poo or extortionate pricing put paid to that.

Likewise the Fuji XE4 in terms of stock.

That led me ultimately to getting the Panasonic GX9 after some talk with the good folks here over in the Panasonic thread.
Smaller (than the XT-4) and inconspicuous yet feels involved enough or can be set such as the XT-4 if wanted. It ticked the walk around bill.

I ended up finding I use it for everything and a couple of cheap lens brought with within the small focal length range of the XT-4 setup and to my eyes at least the same or nigh on largely unnoticeable differences in quality meant I traded the XT-4 in when an opportunity for my daughter came along and I gave her the cash.

Since then though I’m feeling I do need two cameras or bodies at least.

I personally find the GX9 not as easy to shoot wildlife with as the XT-4 so am considering a (used) G9 for that side and using the GX9 for everything else.

I still wonder if I should have gone FF from the start and when financially I could have but since then a lot has changed in my life and that’s no longer an option for now at least.

Sorry. Rambled on a bit there!

When I switched to Fuji I had been shooting Canon full frame for 8 years, but not really taking the camera out much. Switching to Fuji certainly reinvigorated my photography, so was probably the right choice in that respect.

However, this led me back to sports/action photography again, and Fuji seems to lag behind Canon/Sony when it comes to autofocus (with the caveat that I have not personally tried the latest bodies). Sticking with Canon would probably have been a better choice for the 10 times a year that I shoot sport, but in all other regards I am glad I switched to Fuji.

Like Alan, I started with the Fuji S602 zoom but unlike Alan, I didn't regret it. I thought at the time it was the bees knees, although looking back at images from that camera I realise I was easily pleased :). Although I did quite like this one

RingTailedLemurs by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

I moved on to the Canon 350D it was, at the time, the only affordable DSLR, again no regrets and once in the canon universe I graduated to the 20D, 50D and then my final Canon the 5D with a number of L lenses. In the end I sold the lot and bought a M43rds and have fluctuated between that and the Fuji. I'm now firmly in the M43rds camp and although I know its often sneered at by some, it more than suits my needs and when I see some of the images from the likes of @RedRobin @the black fox @alfbranch and many others I realise I've still a lot of growing into the system so no regrets there either.

Last edited:
I started with a Nikon D5600 that I got as I was enjoying general phone photography but wanted more.

The D5600 gave it in spades compared to the phones at the time but what I didn’t give it was time and sold it about 18 months later and went back to my phone as it was easier.

I stayed like that for about 24 months before appreciating I still wanted more than the phones could give but that I’d have to work for it.

When I returned to it this time I was dead set on going FF and more than likely a Sony A7 variant because Youtube says they are the best thing ever(!) however I ended up buying a Fujifilm XT-4 because it looked ‘fun’ and involving to use and like something I would have to learn to use vs the Sony.

Not saying that’s true I’m anyway of course. Was just my thoughts at the time.

At first I was completely happy with it but soon found I was only using it in certain planned situations and was still relying on my phone as a daily, which whilst nothing wrong with that I still wanted the benefits of a ‘proper’ camera for those occasions too but I was finding the XT-4 too much to always have to hand and walk about with on a daily.

Too bulky and ‘heavy’ and too obvious.

I accept that might also be down to me feeling awkward being out around town with a ‘big’ professional’ looking camera rather than anything based in reality!

Anyway. That got me looking for something pocketable. The obvious choice would have been the Fuji X100V but rocking horse poo or extortionate pricing put paid to that.

Likewise the Fuji XE4 in terms of stock.

That led me ultimately to getting the Panasonic GX9 after some talk with the good folks here over in the Panasonic thread.
Smaller (than the XT-4) and inconspicuous yet feels involved enough or can be set such as the XT-4 if wanted. It ticked the walk around bill.

I ended up finding I use it for everything and a couple of cheap lens brought with within the small focal length range of the XT-4 setup and to my eyes at least the same or nigh on largely unnoticeable differences in quality meant I traded the XT-4 in when an opportunity for my daughter came along and I gave her the cash.

Since then though I’m feeling I do need two cameras or bodies at least.

I personally find the GX9 not as easy to shoot wildlife with as the XT-4 so am considering a (used) G9 for that side and using the GX9 for everything else.

I still wonder if I should have gone FF from the start and when financially I could have but since then a lot has changed in my life and that’s no longer an option for now at least.

Sorry. Rambled on a bit there!

That's interesting. I have found in the last month or so, I pick up the GX9 with a 14-140 lens when ever I go out anywhere.
If it is a trip to town, I might take the 7-14 lens, and if to a park or similar, the 100-300 lens. I find it quite comfortable with the 100-300, but not the 100-400.

When it is a planned trip, I will take a G9 with the 7-14, 14-140 and 100-400 lenses. I will also take the GX9 with a small 12-32 lens, or a 12-60 lens in case I need a wider angle and don't want to change lenses on the G9 when using the 100-400.

The G9 and GX9 really go well together :)

I do suffer from GAS but have enjoyed wasting money on things I don't need, I don't drink or smoke so I suppose it's a vice of sorts.

I have my S5 which came with the 20-60 and deal via WEX and then purchased a S1 from John Lewis when they were very, very heavily reduced (wouldn't have purchased otherwise).
I have the lenses I need now (20-60, 24-105, 50, 85, my 10mm Fisheye & 100mm Macro) and just picked up the 70-300 for £799 new from WEX (again only purchased as it was so heavily discounted, this was the same with the 24-105 purchased new from Wex at the photography show for £900 instead of £1290).

I have a GX9 and G9 (which my daughter used to use) and a few lenses, but I will more than likely move these on when I am back from vacation later in the year as I don't use them that much and my daughter isn't doing photography currently. I may keep the GX9, PL 12-60, 25mm 1.7 and the 30mm Macro just in case she picks it up again.

Will I buy more? I don't think so as I don't really think I need anything else now. I want to focus on getting out more and improving my editing skills.

Last edited:
I've had pentax kit from day 1 of my photography obsession of sorts, film was the usual K1000 loved through ME Super etc and won one in a comp which I can't recall the number.

Moved to digital via a K10d, upgraded bodies and lenses over time now run a K1 for portraits and landscapes a K3iiii for sports and aircraft and wildlife plus a Z for portraits and non feathered / furry wildlife.

Strongly believe the main influences are the photographer and not the kit in general.

There are a couple of machines I have regretted buying one was a film Canon EOS 1RT, it took me ages to get on with that machine and was never really happy with it. Digital? the Nikon D700, I found the images to be cold, it was big heavy and I found it really tricky to use with manual focus lens.

I bought another cheap one about 2 years ago, with the aim of using a combo film and digital machines, after a few months I then remembered why I got rid of it first time round :rolleyes::LOL:

Love my m43 gear and after not getting on with the EOS 1 RT I picked up a cheap EOS 1D and I really like it, love the images out of it and then bought a 1Dx.
I also have more machines non of the others I regret buying :)

I bought a Sony A7 in 2014/15 to replace the 5D2 as I was shooting a lot of manual focus lenses at the time and it just made sense even aside from the size/weight benefits.

I did have a dabble with a Fuji XE2 and some primes a few years ago alongside the Sony thankfully as that was a slight mistake I guess. But I learnt I didn't get on with Fuji even if it cost me a few hundred quid to find that out.....

I've recently added an A7Riii and that was a good decision even if it took a while. Added a good handful of features that I really enjoy using and that make the process of shooting a bit easier and more consistent :)

Not really got any regrets lens wise. Pretty damn happy with what I have right now.

Right at the start of my journey, 20+ years ago, someone told me 1 thing..."Invest in Glass", and this has not let me down.

Back then it was really only Canon or Nikon as the 2 big players, and I picked Canon, as they are the one who did Tile & Shift Lens, whereas Nikon only made Shift only. I was studying Architecture at the time and thought having both would be useful, even though by the I got one of these lenses I had quit the profession.

Throughout my Canon ownership I wondered whether i had chosen wrong, as Nikon constantly brought out what seemingly better bodies than the 5D competition at the time. Whether it was the D750 or the D810.

It was really only towards the end at 5D4 when Canon really caught up to Nikon's body, but way before that point I was eyeball deep in L-glass.

The transition to Sony was an easy one to make, Canon didn't make a mirrorless when the A73 came out, with the adaptor proving adequate I just switched. There was enough GM lenses even then to make the transition easy, what wasn't available on GM, there were Zeiss so I did.

And looking at prices now across Canon and Nikon and Sony....I think I picked the best value for money one, and Sony lenses are fine.

Oh, I also have a small Fuji set up, they are fine too but I only ever take simple stuff with them.

I am forever chopping and changing. Thought I had it nailed with the 645z but sent it off for sensor cleaning and it disappeared with lens in the post.

Back to Nikon and quite happy with the D850, sigma ART primes (28, 40 and 50) and 70-200 2.8

"Proper digital camera" That's an oxymoron if ever there was!

I am back to proper film photography.
Why you ask?
I'm actually working with something tactile (go on, pick up an SD card and tell me what you see!)
I have an instant archive which does not require cloud or HDD storage.
All the time the sun shines I can see my pictures.
I don't feel the need to upgrade my camera when the latest and greatest gadget hits the shops.
Film cameras are now cooler than they've ever been.
Quality film cameras do not lose their value like digital ones.

I'm just kidding.
Digital is right for some people, just not me.

Like Alan, I started with the Fuji S602 zoom but unlike Alan, I didn't regret it. I thought at the time it was the bees knees, although looking back at images from that camera I realise I was easily pleased :).

It was only the speed at which the camera acquired focus and was ready to shoot that I couldn't live with as I found that even the slowest moving subject showed motion blur, the subject needed to be completely still. I liked everything else about it.

S602. Party girl.

1 112.jpg

Last edited:
Had Canon equipment for over 35 years moved to Olympus M4/3 four years ago not regretted at all no such thing as the perfect camera system but happy with my choice particularly the 150-400mm lens with the OM1 but would have loved a EM1X mark 2 to appear at sometime but the build quality needs to be the same as the mark 1 there you go I am providing criticism of my own system --- no such thing as a perfect camera system

my first "proper" camera was canon and I've stuck with the system ever since. I added Hasselblad for medium format then switched to Fuji for a lower-cost medium format system. very happy with all of them.

I've been round the houses with different brands and different systems for a variety of reasons, but I am firmly in the Sony camp these days and for me it's definitely the right choice, no other system offers me what Sony does at the moment.

Started with a 1950s Contaflex (hand-me-down from my dad), bought a s/h Canon AE-1P with my own pocket money, made the colossal error of a T80, then into EOS with a 600... In no particular order RT (with pellicle mirror - that was sexy as hell, no loss of subject in the viewfinder during shutter release, at the penalty of ⅔ stop I think it was), 50, 5 to round off the film.

Then the foray into digital began with a Fuji compact which was ok. Hankered after the first digital EOS bodies (Kodak DCS-1 & DCS-3) but was glad to have held off for the 10D... Got a 350D for more pixels, then a 60D, then a 6D2 to satisfy the full-frame itch and a 90D for those times you need the extra reach. Mostly fire an R6mk2 now but the 90D makes cameo appearances. Gradually upgraded all the glass to be L where it makes sense...

During this I've used Nikon through work and I really have to think about using it every time - when I've been given a Sony (Minolta let's be honest :coat:) or Olympus it's also never felt right in my hands

Last edited:
"Proper digital camera" That's an oxymoron if ever there was!

I am back to proper film photography.
Why you ask?
I'm actually working with something tactile (go on, pick up an SD card and tell me what you see!)
I have an instant archive which does not require cloud or HDD storage.
All the time the sun shines I can see my pictures.
I don't feel the need to upgrade my camera when the latest and greatest gadget hits the shops.
Film cameras are now cooler than they've ever been.
Quality film cameras do not lose their value like digital ones.

I'm just kidding.
Digital is right for some people, just not me.

Lucky I've got both then. ;)

Nikon, and Fuji for me now.

Started with a F301, then a D40 (which felt better in my hands than the Canon equivalent), then promptly moved to a D300, which I loved. Got a hankering for FF, so moved up again to a D700. Sold that and made the mistake of going to a D750. Didn`t like it at all. It just felt wrong somehow. Then the recalls came a knocking, so traded that for a D810, and although ok ish, it had a lot of front, and back focus issues. Decided to sell everything and got myself an Xt2. That felt right, and no menu to faff about with. Sold that and got an Xh1 (old n shakey geezer by now), for the IBIS. Great camera all in all. But kinda missed all the dials, so waited for the Xt5, and that ticked all my boxes. Supper happy with it, and don`t miss FF at all.

That's interesting. I have found in the last month or so, I pick up the GX9
I don't know about interesting!

I haven't really got a focus. I like a bit of everything genre wise and the GX9 is currently doing it for me. I have recently picked up the 20mm 1.7 and for it faults and failings I'm enjoying using it and being 'forced' to consider my shot more.
I feel that ultimately the GX9 will become solely my pick up/walk-around camera with a couple of primes.
I did consider the 15mm 1.7 over the 20mm but cost and availability stopped that for now.
The G9 and GX9 really go well together :)

I concur although sometimes miss the superior IBIS of the G9

That's not what I need to hear!
The only thing that puts me off getting one is the thought of a replacement dropping soon after.
In reality it seems thats not likely though as its all very quiet from Panasonic at the minute with the S5II focus.

I'm in no rush anyway. The GX9 can cover me for now.

Had a Canon 6D which I really liked, I also wanted something with interchangeable lenses that was small and light so went as small and light as I could whilst meeting other requirements and got an EM-5ii. All was good accepting that the EM5 was a real trade between being small and being a bit too small for me to use with minimal faff.

The 6D was getting a bit out dated and was starting to feel a bit cumbersome and bulky so went Sony A7RIII since the Canon mirrorless offering at the time was very expensive and Canon lenses adapt well to Sony. Gave the EM5 to my daughter on the basis that the Sony would cover all bases but then missed the EM5 so bought a mark III.

So, yes, very happy with all my cameras over the last decade or more and I would go back to any of them. I don't really suffer from GAS but it is a hobby and upgrades are part of the fun.

I came here just to say this to be honest - I am not a GAS sufferer - I’ve only ever had a 20D, 7D mk1 and an R5. I’m still using lenses bought 20 years ago for the 20D…

I’m not sure how I lasted 9 years on the 7D. When I started with it I was mainly shooting sports and it was fine as that was it’s intended purpose but once I got a set of lee filters and started doing twilight stuff I quickly found it’s limitations.. ISO 400 at a max at dusk even when over exposing

Last edited:
Back