Was your choice the right one?

GAS got me twice with Pentax 67 and Fuji GW690 - incredible negs yep but when you miss focus, the meters shot the novelty soon wears off especially with auto features late film and digital has provided us

Fuji xt30 - the perfect family camera, its been with me to several family weddings, i dont look a dick with a massive camera and low noise with the fuji primes is incredible

Recently bought an F5 and love it, I have a D3 and i change between so easily

Oh and a good flash and learning to use it!

It's an interesting question and the obvious 'issue' is that people often don't settle and/or are always chasing the next thing.

Personally I'm wondering whether having rediscovered the joys of photography I should be buying a 'better' DSLR than my D90 in order to keep using the lenses I have or 'go mirrorless'.
Depends what you soot !
I love my EOS 7Dii, and now I have canon R7 the animal & human eye detect is alien technology,...love it !

Depends what you soot !
I love my EOS 7Dii, and now I have canon R7 the animal & human eye detect is alien technology,...love it !
I hear you and I agree that the technology in the new mirrorless bodies are amazing but, me personally, I would never buy a mirrorless system…just REALLY dislike the gadgetry…

I switched to a Fuji X-T4 early in 2022 after being a Canon shooter for about 20 years, from a film SLR through a 400D, 40D and 80D DSLRs. I came into a sum of money and thought I'd buy something I'd use and enjoy with it. I bought the X-T4 body with the little Fuji 18-55mm kit lens, and the Fuji 100-400mm lens for my motorsport work. A few months ago I added the TTArtisan 25mm f/2 lens to my bag. Fuji would not be the mainstream choice for someone who shoots a lot of motorsport, but doing the same as everyone else is boring. The Canon RF stuff is insanely expensive and their choice to close the mount off to third party lenses puts me right off. Sony has never interested me for some reason, same with Nikon.

It has completely reinvigorated my love of photography. In 21 months I've put over 30,000 shots through the camera, and use it as often as I can. The smaller size and quality of the camera and lenses is night and day different compared to my Canon 80D. It is absolutely the right choice for me, and I can't see myself moving on from the Fuji system for many years. I just wish they hadn't moved the newer bodies to a 40MP sensor.

I switched to a Fuji X-T4 early in 2022 after being a Canon shooter for about 20 years, from a film SLR through a 400D, 40D and 80D DSLRs. I came into a sum of money and thought I'd buy something I'd use and enjoy with it. I bought the X-T4 body with the little Fuji 18-55mm kit lens, and the Fuji 100-400mm lens for my motorsport work. A few months ago I added the TTArtisan 25mm f/2 lens to my bag. Fuji would not be the mainstream choice for someone who shoots a lot of motorsport, but doing the same as everyone else is boring. The Canon RF stuff is insanely expensive and their choice to close the mount off to third party lenses puts me right off. Sony has never interested me for some reason, same with Nikon.

It has completely reinvigorated my love of photography. In 21 months I've put over 30,000 shots through the camera, and use it as often as I can. The smaller size and quality of the camera and lenses is night and day different compared to my Canon 80D. It is absolutely the right choice for me, and I can't see myself moving on from the Fuji system for many years. I just wish they hadn't moved the newer bodies to a 40MP sensor.
Mother Goose, we practically sing from the same song sheet and even verse & line…

I had a brief fling with a Fuji X-T3 but returned to Canon due to some technicalities in the image quality which made me return to Canon.

I really like the Fuji for the retro look and all that. It is a great system but I did not enjoy that one aspect…

Last edited:

Must admit, I miss my Fuji. I sold my T-10 (an upgrade from an M-1) to fund my R7. I love the R7 though, even if it has it's quirks, I do wish I'd kept the T-10 but still bought the R7. I had no fancy lenses for my T-10, the 16-50, a 50-230 (that thing was sharp) and probably the better lens of the 3, the 18-135. I loved the look and feel of the Fuji gear, even the PASM ones.

I lucked into a Fuji flash last week, I was given it, it's the EF 20. It's got me thinking, should I buy a T-5 or X-H2S and some glass, so I could use the flash properly? ;):LOL:

Last edited:
Mother Goose, we practically sing from the same song sheet and even verse & line…

I had a brief fling with a Fuji X-T3 but returned to Canon due to some technicalities in the image quality which made me teturn to Canon.

I really like the Fuji for the retro look and all that. It is a great system but I did not enjoy that one aspect…
I find the image quality absolutely top notch, and far and away better than my Canon 80D. I love the film simulations, and I love that the cameras have such robust in-camera processing options which allows me to create really nice jpegs SOOC. I do shoot Raw most of the time, purely because I like the option to change the film simulation after the fact, but I do love the jpegs my cameras produces.

Anyway I thought you'd never buy a mirrorless system....

I lucked into a Fuji flash last week, I was given it, it's the EF 20. It's got me thinking, should I buy a T-5 or X-H2S and some glass, so I could use the flash properly? ;):LOL:
Possibly the most GAS sentence I've ever read on here :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I find the image quality absolutely top notch, and far and away better than my Canon 80D. I love the film simulations, and I love that the cameras have such robust in-camera processing options which allows me to create really nice jpegs SOOC. I do shoot Raw most of the time, purely because I like the option to change the film simulation after the fact, but I do love the jpegs my cameras produces.

Anyway I thought you'd never buy a mirrorless system....
Well, that was 2018…:p

Right now my mission in life is to hoard as many Canon 5D1 and Pentax K-1000 bodies…

Oh, and Pentax-M lenses…;)

Last edited:
It's not so much a choice for me as choices, for over 10 years I've been using multiple digital systems - originally Pentax DSLR & MFT, but now also Sony FF, Sigma DSLR, Pentax Q, Nikon 1...
A few of the individual cameras have not proved good value for money - I could have got a K7 for half the price within a month of getting mine, my first 5x4 film camera was also unnecessarily expensive. On the whole I'm happy with the options I've gone for, a viewfinder on the J1 would have been a big improvement but it would have doubled the cost!

With lenses I've had a few real disappointments, lenses costing over £100, that are unlikely to come out for a second outing :
The Takumar 300/4 just because of it's weight compared to modern AF 300's of similar speed.
A fixed focus M42 fisheye because the IQ is so dreadful...

I don't mind so much when a £2 lens proves unusable.

I came to Sony from Canon via Olympus.
I certainly don't regret my choice but there's always a niggle at the back of my mind that I should have given Fuji a try.
Don't know why as I have never handled a Fuji - its just a thought that I am missing out on something :thinking:

I hear you and I agree that the technology in the new mirrorless bodies are amazing but, me personally, I would never buy a mirrorless system…just REALLY dislike the gadgetry…

I did think that too until I tried mirrorless for myself, the Canon mirrorless bodies are incredible for shooting wildlife, the autofocus is amazing
it depends what you shoot though for many things DSLR is still good

I certainly don't regret my choice but there's always a niggle at the back of my mind that I should have given Fuji a try.
Don't know why as I have never handled a Fuji - its just a thought that I am missing out on something :thinking:
You can borrow newer Fuji gear for free for 48 hours. I've used this before, doesn't help with GAS at all but it's nice to play with some lenses I can't necessarily afford.

Well, that was 2018…:p

Right now my mission in life is to hoard as many Canon 5D1 and Pentax K-1000 bodies…

Oh, and Pentax-M lenses…;)
I traded my 5D1 in for my Fuji, the 5D was special, but wasn't as good to use as the Fuji. I was able to borrow a 5D a few months after trading mine in, as I wanted to use a specific lens. The Canon just felt alien to me.

I traded my 5D1 in for my Fuji, the 5D was special, but wasn't as good to use as the Fuji. I was able to borrow a 5D a few months after trading mine in, as I wanted to use a specific lens. The Canon just felt alien to me.
My dad still uses a Canon 7d MkII. I picked it up a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how big, bulky and just plain old it felt.

Always been a Canon shooter. Many years ago I used to work for PC World and they had a 350D on display so I bought one with staff discount. Upgraded to a 450D then a 40D, 6D and a 7Dmk2, 5Dmk4 and now a R5.

I did consider changing to a Fuji XT system at one point to reduce my weight but decided I'd loose too much money selling all my EF L lenses that I'd acquired over the years to buy new Fuji stuff. Then a couple of years later I sold all the EF lenses and bought new RF lenses. Go figure :thinking:

I love the R5 and have no desire to change or upgrade but it's still a weighty system and I'm not getting any younger so who knows what will happen in the future.

I also have a M5 which I converted to IR

I have always suffered GAS... Done photography for 40 plus years and tried most systems. I settled on Fuji for a good while and loved everything about the system. However, I had a yearning for an R5 when it was launched. So I bought one. Great camera. I then bought an RX100Vii for travel and one of the photographs I took was the first photograph in over 20 years I bothered to have printed and framed! I've still not printed anything I took with the R5

However, the R5 is not getting used much at all! In under three years I guess I have taken no more than a 1000 photographs with it. This is tempting me to downsize while this camera still has value and I'm not getting any younger!.

What would I change to? I'm not sure. Fuji is the obvious choice or a small Sony A7Cii. I'll ponder a while.

My very first (real) camera back in ‘92 was a K1000. Starting out in life I was not able to expand my kit so it was a 50mm and that was that.

When digital came along I went Canon and I had…and still have… a number of them. In the early days of digital Pentax did not have anything that excited me.

Started building a few MF film systems and now I have a few more cameras than the Missus is truly happy with.

For now I am embarking on a K1000 and Pentax-M lens hoarding adventure…I think owning the gear is trumping the actual joy of photography. And I am not planning to get rid of anything either…
When I did buy my Chinon I was looking at the Pentax P50 (couldn't afford SF-X) and Canon T70 (couldn't afford EOS650), that was in 1987 when I was a poor student.

Always hankered after a P50 and eventually acquired one, it's my B&W film camera, love it. I still have my Z-1p I bought in 1995, my E6 camera and occasional B&W.

I did consider changing to a Fuji XT system at one point to reduce my weight

I recently bought a 5Diii to "see what I had missed" with Canon FF.

The 5D with a 28-135 lens 1553g
A GX9 with a 12-60 lens (nearest you can get to the same) 715g. And it does a lot more, with similar image quality under "normal" conditions

Always been a Canon shooter. Many years ago I used to work for PC World and they had a 350D on display so I bought one with staff discount. Upgraded to a 450D then a 40D, 6D and a 7Dmk2, 5Dmk4 and now a R5.

I did consider changing to a Fuji XT system at one point to reduce my weight but decided I'd loose too much money selling all my EF L lenses that I'd acquired over the years to buy new Fuji stuff. Then a couple of years later I sold all the EF lenses and bought new RF lenses. Go figure :thinking:

I love the R5 and have no desire to change or upgrade but it's still a weighty system and I'm not getting any younger so who knows what will happen in the future.

I also have a M5 which I converted to IR
I also started with a discounted 350D and currently very happy with R5 :)

I've hired Sony's and tried friend's Nikon's, for me there was no major difference, a change would have been a big investment in changing lenses and especially for Sony I found the menus terrible to navigate. So I stuck with Canon.

In addition, I have Fuji for medium format projects and love that too, but it's not the all-rounder that R5 is.

Every system I’ve bought into has been a correct choice - at the time. But I change my mind more often than I change my socks, so can always be “persuaded “ to change again. GAS rules!
Haha, could have written the same for me verbatum :ROFLMAO:

You can borrow newer Fuji gear for free for 48 hours. I've used this before, doesn't help with GAS at all but it's nice to play with some lenses I can't necessarily afford.

I'd be scared in case the temptation got to too much for me :LOL:

I'm a working photographer and for 20 years used canon until I was convinced that Sony is the only way forward and I was missing a trick . So I sold my r6 cameras and bought 3 Sony a74s. This was around 6 months ago ...so far I have sent the cameras back to Sony 3 times due to faults ...I never once sent a canon away in 20 years . The sonys are slower in every way including autofocus and eye auto focus ......the colours are crap along with inaccurate white balance ....the menu is terrible....they look and feel like they were made by lego ...the battery life is not as good ....the button placement is crap as I keep changing settings when the cameras are banging against my hip ...the screens are not as good .....the hot shoe design is terrible.....the weather rating doesn't come close to canon .......so yeah I'm well pleased for changing lol

With all that, and research, why did you buy them?

Because "all that" happened after I bought them . My mistake was trusting the opinion of a number of pros who had not used canon before .
Plenty of issues with Canon too. I can see how, if you have a bad experience with a brand it puts you off and you can only judge your experience on that, but no brand is faultless and from what I've seen Sony haven't had any more issues than anyone else (y)

Plenty of issues with Canon too. I can see how, if you have a bad experience with a brand it puts you off and you can only judge your experience on that, but no brand is faultless and from what I've seen Sony haven't had any more issues than anyone else (y)
I can say hand on heart I never in many many years had a single issue with canon . And I've stated my Sony experience above which are all very real and relevant to me . All this is only my opinion so it's all good

I think I've tried them all barring Pentax, and the REALLY expensive ones like Leica and Hasselblad. For me the best most trouble free system I've used is Sony, the most troublesome being Nikon followed by Olympus, but I'd still happily buy NIkon and Olympus if their systems suited my needs.

I wouldn't mind trying Canon mirrorless just out of curiosity but the system doesn't offer what I want and some of the lenses are pretty pricey.

I can say hand on heart I never in many many years had a single issue with canon . And I've stated my Sony experience above which are all very real and relevant to me . All this is only my opinion so it's all good
Yeah I completely get that, as I say we will all base things on our own experience and that's only natural.

Ive been using Canon since the mid 70s. Eventually went digital when I was given a G5 one birthday. Shot with it for about a year till I got totally hacked off with the shutter lag. Upgraded to a 350D I found that a nice little camara at the time but my mits are quite large and the thing seemed too small. When the 40D came out I made the mistake of handling one in a local shop I was forced to buy it (not wanted to but forced to) In the past year Ive upgraded to a 90D and have picked up a couple of L lenses going cheap. Im sure that the mirrorless systems are very good but Im knocking on and have no interest in them Ive shot SLRs in one form or another since the 70s and like the format. Yes the DSLR plus L glass is heavy but I dont have a gym membership and need the workout.
Cant say Ive ever really looked at other systems.
If it aint broke dont fix it.

Last edited:
I think I've tried them all barring Pentax, and the REALLY expensive ones like Leica and Hasselblad. For me the best most trouble free system I've used is Sony, the most troublesome being Nikon followed by Olympus, but I'd still happily buy NIkon and Olympus if their systems suited my needs.

I wouldn't mind trying Canon mirrorless just out of curiosity but the system doesn't offer what I want and some of the lenses are pretty pricey.
Toby hopefully without derailing this, what features are missing for you with canon?

Toby hopefully without derailing this, what features are missing for you with canon?
Mostly native lenses, there’s either not the focal lengths I want or they’re either heavier, more expensive, not as good optically or a combination.

Also to the best of my knowledge they don’t have a body offering the blackout free and silent capabilities combined with the AF and frame rate of the A9II or A1 without resorting to a larger heavier body.

Mostly native lenses, there’s either not the focal lengths I want or they’re either heavier, more expensive, not as good optically or a combination.

Also to the best of my knowledge they don’t have a body offering the blackout free and silent capabilities combined with the AF and frame rate of the A9II or A1 without resorting to a larger heavier body.
Thanks Toby, you’ve allayed my FOMO :) as I’ve been with canon so long I’m good for lenses and a pair of R5s do what I need very well. I might be tempted to switch to R1 when that finally arrives.

Thanks Toby, you’ve allayed my FOMO :) as I’ve been with canon so long I’m good for lenses and a pair of R5s do what I need very well. I might be tempted to switch to R1 when that finally arrives.
Haha, glad I’ve not caused GAS ;)

Because "all that" happened after I bought them . My mistake was trusting the opinion of a number of pros who had not used canon before .

Lots of issues though...i guess it was an expensive lesson learned.

Cant beat Canon in my experience.

Back