Was your choice the right one?

While I'm new here, I found this entire thread interesting. Hearing other folks reasoning, considerations, concerns, and needs is rather eye opening. I started many years ago with my grandfathers Rolleicord TLR and than had a few point and shoot 35mm film cameras. My first large investment was in "The Mind of Minolta". I had the 9000 and 7000i Maxxum's and a trinity of lens and accessories, tripod, bags, and such. I also had a darkroom where I spent a lot of time. I never looked back, loved my kit and the only thing I added years later was a Pentax 6X9.

Making the transition to digital, coming from that world of Minolta and having a full arsenal of lenses it was an easy transition to Sony. I have always been in the Sony alpha realm utilizing my A mount lenses. Over the years they've all been replaced with faster (2.8) glass. I had a 300, 77, and currently have a 77ii. And again, I've never had any regrets.

With all that said it seems that Sony is done with the DSLR system and seem to only be advancing the mirrorless E mount system. Which brings me to my current position. Should I at some point consider going the mirrorless direction? No, not at this point, My current kit does everything that I need it to so I'm very content right now. Besides I just can't afford it and would have to mange a transition of all my lenses and such. I can see that at some point it will become outdated and I'll have to make the decision. Sony has been on the forefront of the mirrorless evolution and seems pretty well established there. I have to admit that I had similar thoughts all those years ago about Minolta, LOL. The only other thing I might consider would be stepping up to a medium format system. I'm 61 years old and kind of feel that my next system will be my last big investment as my Minolta lasted me many years and then Sony has carried my to this point. Time will tell.

I had given up on photography for many years because of the cost of film. Because of the cost, progression was slow. Digital cameras were not really on my radar until I started using PC's. Like a few here, I was drawn to the Fuji S602. That sparked the photography bug again. I progressed at an amazing rate because pictures now cost nothing, and I could quickly learn from my mistakes. There were some things that camera could do that most modern cameras couldn't for many years. ;)

I was lucky to be working in John Lewis when I decided to get a DSLR. The Canon 350D seemed to be the best option at the time, and working in the store I was able to have a play with it. Shock and horror when my knuckles were rubbing the lens! :eek: The other option, the Nikon D70 felt great in the hand, so that was it for me. That's why why I always advise people to handle any cameras the are considering. ;)

D70>D300, that was stolen, so on to the D300S. That has been the camera that felt like it was moulded to my hand. I was happy with that for many years, but wanted more pixels and better high ISO. It looked like Nikon had given up on that range of camera. None of the D7*** cameras appealed as in some areas it would have been a downgrade, particularly in ergonomics. I was all set to completely change systems to the Canon 7DII, when the D500 was announced out of nowhere. :oops: :$ Wow, it blew the 7DII away in every way.:banana: If I had not waited so long, passing on the D7***'s, I could made a very disappointing change to Canon because of bad timing.

The D500 does everything I want or need. It is not quite as comfortable in the hand as the D300S, but it is very close. :)

I still have my 7Dii, and though I love to bits the Nikon D500 is much better. IMO Canon should have had a better version of the 7Dii with no or very small amount of AA filter.

My canon R7 eye detection is a joy to have and has made photography much more rewarding !

Last edited:
I started my photography journey about 40 years ago and went with Pentax (ME Super and Super A) and then a few years later traded it all in for a Nikon F4 and a few primes and there started my long lasting relationship with Nikon, culminating today with my Nikon Z set up. However when shooting Nikon DSLRs (D2X, D3 & D3s) I wanted something smaller and lighter for non "pro" scenarios, and purchased the then brand new Olympus EM-5, and quickly afterwards some nice "pro" lenses culminating with the full set of EM1 Pro bodies (MKI, II and III), with the OM-1 of today.

So my systems now include a very nice full frame set up and a very nice Micro Four thirds setup which I'm still pleased with, and have no real regrets. I've been tempted a few times to try Sony but have so far resisted (as the Z8 & Z9 are still well beyond my levels), but did have a 2 year flirt with Fuji (XT2, XT3 and XH1) with some nice lenses, but (and I can't put my finger on it), just never really jelled with the systems so sold it off to purchase the Olympus pro bodies and more lenses (so I guess Fuji has been my only proper regret - a fine system though it still is).

With all that said it seems that Sony is done with the DSLR system and seem to only be advancing the mirrorless E mount system.

FWIW I still use my old Minolta A mount lenses on an A7III body with the LA-EA4 adapter. It does allow a relatively low entry cost, and although you'll not be able to use the AF of the camera, it does give access to a better sensor and full frame (not helpful if you have crop lenses, of course). It's a way of transitioning across gradually, rather than taking a huge financial hit, but that's IF you want to go mirrorless.

FWIW I still use my old Minolta A mount lenses on an A7III body with the LA-EA4 adapter. It does allow a relatively low entry cost, and although you'll not be able to use the AF of the camera, it does give access to a better sensor and full frame (not helpful if you have crop lenses, of course). It's a way of transitioning across gradually, rather than taking a huge financial hit, but that's IF you want to go mirrorless.
Yeah, It'll happen at some point. But for now, I'll work with what I got with the hopes that in the next four or five years the prices with drop substantially. I do like the idea of a lighter system. I went for a 4 mile hike shooting waterfalls yesterday and brought most of my equipment. My arms were killing me all day today. Thanks for the info and happy New Year

Yeah, It'll happen at some point. But for now, I'll work with what I got with the hopes that in the next four or five years the prices with drop substantially. I do like the idea of a lighter system. I went for a 4 mile hike shooting waterfalls yesterday and brought most of my equipment. My arms were killing me all day today. Thanks for the info and happy New Year

My A58 system is a lot lighter than the A7III system. :p

It's not going to get cheaper, although there will be more used kit around by that time.

I'm really starting to miss the A9's autofocus system, so I'm not really sure if the D810 was the best choice.

EDIT: Scrub that. I've just transferred the photos into Lightroom and almost all of them are sharp. That's strange, I'm sure they all looked oof (or soft) on the rear LCD whilst shooting.

Last edited:
Yeah, It'll happen at some point. But for now, I'll work with what I got with the hopes that in the next four or five years the prices with drop substantially. I do like the idea of a lighter system. I went for a 4 mile hike shooting waterfalls yesterday and brought most of my equipment. My arms were killing me all day today. Thanks for the info and happy New Year@
@ancient_mariner I'm wondering if the adapter uses up some light, ie a stop of light or perhaps changes the focal distance of the lens that's applied? The Sony LA-E4 A NEX Camera Mount Adapter doesn't seem to be available any more but that will add another $100 plus and I couldn't even find one used. There does seem to be a metabones version for $134. My a77ii back screen has crapped the bed and I have to decide whether to get another one or make the transition and start the upgrade. The new sony a6700 retails for $1400 while the a77 ii sells for under $500. I don't have anything to put towards it right now but need to start thinking about it. Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

The adapter uses about one third stop - it's essentially the pellicle and focus system from an SLT camera like your 77. I never tried the metabones adapter.

I'd probably buy an A7 I or II over a used 77 now, but I much prefer full frame to crop.

The adapter uses about one third stop - it's essentially the pellicle and focus system from an SLT camera like your 77. I never tried the metabones adapter.

I'd probably buy an A7 I or II over a used 77 now, but I much prefer full frame to crop.
I looked at the a99 & 99 ii but all my lenses are for aps sensors. When I'm ready to buy I'll have to make a trip to B&H. Get my hands on them and my questions answered. Thanks for the help

I changed from Nikon to Sony. I'm happy enough with Sony but if Nikon had got their focus system right in their mirrorless at the start I would more than likely still be with them.

I bought a Sony A7 in 2014/15 to replace the 5D2 as I was shooting a lot of manual focus lenses at the time and it just made sense even aside from the size/weight benefits.

I did have a dabble with a Fuji XE2 and some primes a few years ago alongside the Sony thankfully as that was a slight mistake I guess. But I learnt I didn't get on with Fuji even if it cost me a few hundred quid to find that out.....

I've recently added an A7Riii and that was a good decision even if it took a while. Added a good handful of features that I really enjoy using and that make the process of shooting a bit easier and more consistent :)

Not really got any regrets lens wise. Pretty damn happy with what I have right now.

^^^^

Recently bought Alan's X100f :)

AM I happy with my kit, my 3rd DSLR from ( 1st 450D, 2nd 7D original ) canon 7Dii 18.2mp, a solid, durable, tough, reliable camera with very good AF, reasonable dynamic range, goof IQ.

My second digital camera purchase the Sony NEX5R one of the first round of Sony E mount mirrorless cameras. It is very small and will take all e mount lens, and at 16.1mp it is decent resolution. I even have the quirky mount flash, microphone and EVF. The wife likes using it as it is small and fits in her hand bag.

Sony A6600, the bigger cousin of my NEX5R with 24mp with solid build, new Sony menu, very good AF and eye detect, great IQ. Not as small as the NEX5R, though much, much capable camera. It is my travel / holiday camera of choice.

My latest purchase Xmas last year the Canon R7 with good build, tons of features, high res sensor 32.5mp, and alien technology eye AF. Though not my favourite camera as I do not like the body ( it is no 7Dii robust construction ), the not so dependable AF due to a slow sensor read out, and that is its Achilles heel. The slow sensor read out speed ( IMO ) is what causes the most AF problems with fast lenses as many YouTube influencer have chatted about. i.e Duade Paton and his fix for using Sigma AF mount 150-600 C
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7TEu1Tgq5I

I am happy with my camera purchases as all the above fit in to my budget as I do not have the funds to spend ( at time of launch and availability ) four and half grand to buy a R5, or two and half plus for R6. Apart from the 7Dii all the cameras have been purchased from new.

Back