Washing Your Car!

Love FK1000P. Rate it alongside collinite 476s.

Tried it yesterday, bloody slow going putting it on with a foam applicator from a tiny tub, but it was the easiest thing ever to take off, even after it started drizzling on me! Finish isn't as good as Prima Banana Gloss (My favourite wax, but it's useless at stopping the pink on this car) but it's still plenty acceptable. Not a hint of the pink showing through on the wing yet so if it lasts I'll be happy.

Up to now it's been getting AG Extra Gloss protection which left a weird finish over the pink bits, like you could see the circular motion of the polishing stage under the sealant somehow as pink and red swirls (Not grit swirls). The finish is pretty much comparable appearance wise but the wax feels nicer.

DSXT4143.jpg

DSXT4145.jpg

I've had success previously (few years ago) with some car plan back to black, more recently used some Autoglym stuff and it worked very well on father in laws car trim

Hey all, what's the best stuff for getting black [plastic] trim to actually be black rather than grey please....?? :)
Armourall (sp) Tyre foam, just spray some into the lid and paint it on with a brush so as not to get it onto the paintwork,

Hey all, what's the best stuff for getting black [plastic] trim to actually be black rather than grey please....?? :)

Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel. I do my tyres with a sponge scourer (you can use the scoury side to get all the ingrained crud out of the raised patterns!), once I've done that what's left in the sponge gets wiped over the black trim.

When I bought the wax above I also decided to try some Anti Static Finish restorer from FK for days like these when light rain leaves dust spots behind. Brilliant stuff, just tried it now

I'd read / heard peanut butter can get rid of the white polish residue on plastic - was going to tell neighbour and get him to try.

Could be interesting:)

Aye, then you'll have nuthatches & woodpeckers crapping on yer paintwork. :LOL:

Thoroughly clean first and alcohol wipe, on plastic heat up with a hairdryer then the best product I have used is gtechniq c4, it costs a fortune but lasts forever.

Why do I want to do that? :p

Seriously...I like how thick it is.

Cos it's a real pain in the backside to buff it off!

Typical me with after buying two lots of the stuff:eek:

However, hopefully it'll be better when I mix it with Demonshine in due course.:rolleyes:

BSD shouldn't be treated as a QD and I've found that it really depends on what you use to wipe it off with makes a huge difference.

I gave my dads C4 a quick wash yesterday It hadn't been treated with an LSP is a couple of years so there was nothing on the paint. snow foam, wash then dry using ultimate quik wax as a drying aid. I then nipped round the car with BSD and used a meg's Supreme Shine Microfibre cloth. took 5 mins to cover the car. I wouldn't use it as a QD or a drying aid, the formula and spray pattern just isn't anyway near like that of megs wash and wax anywhere or ultimate quik wax. I would think of BSD as a very quick to use sealent. I also used small quick spurts to cover the pannels. good to use in the winter

BSD shouldn't be treated as a QD and I've found that it really depends on what you use to wipe it off with makes a huge difference.

I gave my dads C4 a quick wash yesterday It hadn't been treated with an LSP is a couple of years so there was nothing on the paint. snow foam, wash then dry using ultimate quik wax as a drying aid. I then nipped round the car with BSD and used a meg's Supreme Shine Microfibre cloth. took 5 mins to cover the car. I wouldn't use it as a QD or a drying aid, the formula and spray pattern just isn't anyway near like that of megs wash and wax anywhere or ultimate quik wax. I would think of BSD as a very quick to use sealent. I also used small quick spurts to cover the pannels. good to use in the winter

Sorry, normally quite good with abbreviations, but whats :

BSD ?

QD ?

LSP ?

I know as soon as you say, it'll be obvious :D, but for the left of me :tumbleweed:

bsd = brilliant shine detailer
qd = quick detailer
lsp = last step protection eg wax or sealant

Alright then armchair experts - lets see if we can promote you to real experts. Stop my red wing going pink weekly. The best UV protection sealant/wax if you please.

I'd think a vinyl wrap in the right colour would be the easiest and most long lasting solution.

Bit of a thread revival, but gave wife's car a wax last weekend and very pleased with the results

IMG_1568.JPG

Zoomed out

IMG_1569.JPG

Was in the good books for a while :)

Soon be time for our car's annual wash, like to have it clean for the MOT and service, nonstick pan scourers are good for the hardened bird crap.

Must be doing something right, only had three cars since 1989 and all have been good'uns

Mine got a clean and wax a few weeks ago due to local little shuts having thrown an egg at the back of the car. Has since had another jet wash and wax, but not a chance to give it a thorough wash polish and wax May need a mild cutting in places for minor swirl marks.

Just gave it's prep ready for a polish tomorrow.

Rinse whole car
Wheels sprayed with diluted brakeaway.
Snowfoam,
Agitate wheel cleaner while snowfoam dwells,
Rinse
Wash with dooka pad and shampoo, 2 bucket method(1 bucket shampoo, 2nd bucket rinse)
Dry
Spay fallout remover and leave to dwell,
Rinse,
Clay car using Farcela clay mitt lubed with shampoo.
Rinse
Dry.

Tomorrow,

Quick wash,
Tape up all edges, trim.
Polish with DA and Mequires #205
Body work sealed with FK1000p, Topped up when gassed off with Soft99 Authentic carnuba wax,
Glass sealed with Gtechniq G5 water repellant.

When time allows,
Wheels off, cleaned and sealed with FK1000p both sides.

fallout remover doing it's stuff.
Fallout remover by Scott, on Flickr

ready for tomorrow,
Clean part 1 by Scott, on Flickr

Looking good, will wait to see final results (y)

How do you find the clay mitt ?

Last edited:
I find it very quick and easy to use as long as you use lots of lube (strong shampoo). I've never used clay bar before and was put onto this mitt. I've used it on several cars and its still going strong although mine gets a light polish afterwards.

I find it very quick and easy to use as long as you use lots of lube (strong shampoo). I've never used clay bar before and was put onto this mitt. I've used it on several cars and its still going strong although mine gets a light polish afterwards.

Thats good to know...I had read using a bucket with shampoo in as a double / triple concentration worked well as lube for it...(y)

Thats good to know...I had read using a bucket with shampoo in as a double / triple concentration worked well as lube for it...(y)
I use some in my snowfoam lance and cover a few panels with it as well.

Rinse whole car
Wheels sprayed with diluted brakeaway.
Snowfoam,
Agitate wheel cleaner while snowfoam dwells,
Rinse
Wash with dooka pad and shampoo, 2 bucket method(1 bucket shampoo, 2nd bucket rinse)
Dry
Spay fallout remover and leave to dwell,
Rinse,
Clay car using Farcela clay mitt lubed with shampoo.
Rinse
Dry.
No tar removing step prior/after the fallout remover step? :eek::D:exit:

Never really suffer from it and it really shows up on my colour. After a careful inspection I decided the clay mitt will remove what very little is there.
Can I ask:

what is brakeaway?
what is a dooka pad?
what fallout remover did you use?

Ta.

Not sure if it's already been covered, but what shampoo do you guys recommend for snow foam?

I have always previously been a bucket of shampoo and a wash mitt guy, but I bought a karcher last year for other things but it came with an attachment for spraying and a sample bottle of their own car wash shampoo. Although it did foam up and cover the car, it was only a couple of minutes before it ran off. So what do you guys suggest?

Not sure if it's already been covered, but what shampoo do you guys recommend for snow foam?

I have always previously been a bucket of shampoo and a wash mitt guy, but I bought a karcher last year for other things but it came with an attachment for spraying and a sample bottle of their own car wash shampoo. Although it did foam up and cover the car, it was only a couple of minutes before it ran off. So what do you guys suggest?
Fill yer boots : snow foam etc

(cant reccomend one as I dont have a pressure washer. I use bilt hamber auto foam in a pump sprayer.)

Back