Washing Your Car!

I used to clay bar, wet sand, compound, polish then wax but that was many years ago when I had more time and on my own cars. Her car is a Swift so nice thin jap paint! I'm thinking something like G10 would be a sensible choice rather than G4 etc which may be too aggressive?

Ive only ever used #205 so cant comment on the G range, there's a few charts on lline like this one to help.

Snow foam..............I have always been sceptical of the ability for the stuff to lift dirt thinking it was all just a gimmick.

I had always soaked my car with shampoo to lift the dirt prior to power washing then the two bucket method after that, but having bought an Autobright lance and using it for the first time I was absolutely amazed at the results !!. My son who is nowhere as fussy as I am with cars brought his scruffy car over and gave it a go, he was that impressed with the amount of dirt lifted that he did just left it as it was after power washing the foam off.

I am now regretting the scepticism I had and wishing that I had bought one when buying my car new in 2010 !

Discovered a wonderful wheel cleaner for my satin Matt black alloys. Armorall tyre dressing. Tried it the other day, wiped it off following day and all the brake dust and grime was gone. Still looking clean several days later even after the Sahara laden rain.

Was having a look and do you reckon the pro would be necessary for the occasion use, I'm wondering if the v2 would be good enough?

The v2 is fine, yes the pro is better, but so is a Flex at 3-4 times the price. :)

For occasional use, the v2 will be absolutely fine :)

Snow foam..............I have always been sceptical of the ability for the stuff to lift dirt thinking it was all just a gimmick.

I had always soaked my car with shampoo to lift the dirt prior to power washing then the two bucket method after that, but having bought an Autobright lance and using it for the first time I was absolutely amazed at the results !!. My son who is nowhere as fussy as I am with cars brought his scruffy car over and gave it a go, he was that impressed with the amount of dirt lifted that he did just left it as it was after power washing the foam off.

I am now regretting the scepticism I had and wishing that I had bought one when buying my car new in 2010 !

Yes, if you get a good snow foam, they can really help and make a difference.

Also, good fun doing it :)

Discovered a wonderful wheel cleaner for my satin Matt black alloys. Armorall tyre dressing. Tried it the other day, wiped it off following day and all the brake dust and grime was gone. Still looking clean several days later even after the Sahara laden rain.

Wow, you left it on you wheels that long - has it not dried on ?

The v2 is fine, yes the pro is better, but so is a Flex at 3-4 times the price. :)

For occasional use, the v2 will be absolutely fine :)

Thanks, I'm thinking of complimenting it with some Menzerna Final Finish 3000 and Menzerna Power Lock Sealant (Synthetic). I figure if the 3000 doesn't cut enough I can always grab some 2400, but I'd rather go in this direction than start with a heavy cut compound first! lol

Was having a look and do you reckon the pro would be necessary for the occasion use, I'm wondering if the v2 would be good enough?
I went for the pro for the extra meter cable and larger motor. There is a permanant deal on if you join detailing world for it with £15 off a free bag and free delivery.

I got some Gyeon Wetcoat and Meguiar's Ceramic wax last few weeks and I am a total convert. SOOoooooooo easy to put on for really really good protection.

Oh very nice - not tried these yet, be interested in your thoughts / results :thumb:

Yes, if you get a good snow foam, they can really help and make a difference.

Also, good fun doing it :)

Yup, but how do I clear away all the foam left on the drive, tried chasing it away with the power washer and it ends up all over the place :)

Oh very nice - not tried these yet, be interested in your thoughts / results :thumb:

It gives like a glass like finish, very easy to apply but you will need a pressure washer and you will need quite a lot from a bottle for a car. At least for me anyway, I like the spray every inch of it to make sure and goes through 1/3rd of a bottle.

Yup, but how do I clear away all the foam left on the drive, tried chasing it away with the power washer and it ends up all over the place :)

Some are worse than others for their staying powers on the ground.

Autoglym new Polar one is great, but if you do follow the mix, it stays around for absolutely ages ...

It gives like a glass like finish, very easy to apply but you will need a pressure washer and you will need quite a lot from a bottle for a car. At least for me anyway, I like the spray every inch of it to make sure and goes through 1/3rd of a bottle.

Cheers, will have a look into trying it ...

Thanks, I'm thinking of complimenting it with some Menzerna Final Finish 3000 and Menzerna Power Lock Sealant (Synthetic). I figure if the 3000 doesn't cut enough I can always grab some 2400, but I'd rather go in this direction than start with a heavy cut compound first! lol
I love my menzerna polishes but I never rated the power lock. Maybe it was just me and I didn't get on with it. I felt FK1000P was superior.

I love my menzerna polishes but I never rated the power lock. Maybe it was just me and I didn't get on with it. I felt FK1000P was superior.

My priority is protection and easy future washing over gloss effect, which do you reckon is better for that?

My priority is protection and easy future washing over gloss effect, which do you reckon is better for that?
Sealants tend to have better longevity over waxes. In both cases, they will make keeping the car clean much easier. Sealants last longer (I think three coats of FK1000P lasted me 6 months), whereas waxes need more frequent top up. In any case, preferences over waxes and sealants will be subjective.

I've generally found waxes to give a glossier finish and use them during the summer months when I can top up on a monthly basis. I use sealants over winter where I might not wash the car for several weeks. If you really want longevity, look at ceramic coating - a simple wash and dry keeps the car clean and shiny without the need for top ups.

Got some more supplies in, bilberry wheel cleaner, some clay and lubricant for the wife’s car and a new snow foam lance and Autobrite foam.

Can anyone suggest how to correct this (or make it less obvious) seems to be going Matt effect on the bonnet...

Attachments

• 1D59D1BF-111B-4626-A81B-63BDE23961E7.jpeg
    1D59D1BF-111B-4626-A81B-63BDE23961E7.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 44
Got some more supplies in, bilberry wheel cleaner, some clay and lubricant for the wife’s car and a new snow foam lance and Autobrite foam.

Can anyone suggest how to correct this (or make it less obvious) seems to be going Matt effect on the bonnet...
Difficult to tell really from the pic, but as a start, a proper clean (pre wash, 2 bucket wash, de-tar, fallout remover, clay mitt). Then a good polish with maybe meguiars ultimate compound, then maybe autoglym super resin polish, then a wax/sealant and see how it looks?

Difficult to tell really from the pic, but as a start, a proper clean (pre wash, 2 bucket wash, de-tar, fallout remover, clay mitt). Then a good polish with maybe meguiars ultimate compound, then maybe autoglym super resin polish, then a wax/sealant and see how it looks?

Done most of the above, but I'll have to get some polish in. Used to have a DAS6 and Mezerna polishes about 5 years ago but ended up selling it on.

Done most of the above, but I'll have to get some polish in. Used to have a DAS6 and Mezerna polishes about 5 years ago but ended up selling it on.
Maybe try and find a local car detailer and ask them to just have a look and give some advice. At least then you'd know what the problem was.

Maybe try and find a local car detailer and ask them to just have a look and give some advice. At least then you'd know what the problem was.

Good advice thank you. It’s a shame as it lets the car down even though it’s a 2009 with 100k+ miles the rest of the car is in great condition.

Difficult to see from the photo - does it feel ‘dull / not as smooth / slippy’ as the rest of the bonnet ?

Have you tried polishing it. ?

Next door neighbour had a very dull mark (bird poop etching) on his roof, which he couldn’t remove, he’d tried a polish but didn’t help. I used some Meguiars ultimate compound and it lifted it, then polished it and coated it.

Definitely worth a try ...

Difficult to see from the photo - does it feel ‘dull / not as smooth / slippy’ as the rest of the bonnet ?

Have you tried polishing it. ?

Next door neighbour had a very dull mark (bird poop etching) on his roof, which he couldn’t remove, he’d tried a polish but didn’t help. I used some Meguiars ultimate compound and it lifted it, then polished it and coated it.

Definitely worth a try ...

Yes, that's exactly how it is, I'll guess I'll have to get some polish. Thank you.

Cleaned and added a coat of protection on wife’s friends motor yesterday. Really pleased with how it came up [emoji4]

IMG_0412.JPG

Last edited:
As we're coming back into car cleaning season, I'm after a good tyre dressing. Previously used Meguiars Endurance but looking for something a bit less gloopy.

As we're coming back into car cleaning season, I'm after a good tyre dressing. Previously used Meguiars Endurance but looking for something a bit less gloopy.
Wasn't aware car cleaning season had taken a break.
I don't like shiny tyre walls, I just use Armorall tyre foam. I spray some into the lid and apply it to the tyres with a detailing brush. The can goes alot further that way and don't get any over spray on the paintwork.

Some of us never stop :D

I’ve found Meguiars tyre dressing good - if you don’t over apply it and then about 10-15 minutes later wipe round with a microfibre cloth, I find it gives a nicer finish and don’t have issues with sling...

Used some DetailedOnline’s tyre dressing and that’s really good, very well priced too...

Some of us never stop :D

I’ve found Meguiars tyre dressing good - if you don’t over apply it and then about 10-15 minutes later wipe round with a microfibre cloth, I find it gives a nicer finish and don’t have issues with sling...

Used some DetailedOnline’s tyre dressing and that’s really good, very well priced too...

Pointless when you live out in the sticks this time of year! I'll have a butchers, thanks.

Car pro PERL. Can be diluted to various strengths and used on Plastics, Engine, Rubber, Leather. Interior and Ext. 1:1 or stronger for tyres. 1:3 or weaker for exterior plastics and so on

Car pro PERL. Can be diluted to various strengths and used on Plastics, Engine, Rubber, Leather. Interior and Ext. 1:1 or stronger for tyres. 1:3 or weaker for exterior plastics and so on

Not one I’ve tried, but heard good things about :)

Took advantage of the nice weather and a few days annual leave and gave wife’s car deep clean, seal and coat of wax.

Happy wife :)

Adjustments.JPG

I machine polished my car the other day but to be honest I think it's time to move to a rotary. The DA is fine, so long as you can keep the pad clean but I'm finding it too time consuming. I'm aware of the dangers of a rotary, I'll perhaps look at a forced rotation da but I think rotary will be what I end up with.

Looking for a good sealant though rather than a wax. I've seen some new ceramic sprays hitting the shelves but I'm not 100% convinced. Any suggestions?

Looking for a good sealant though rather than a wax. I've seen some new ceramic sprays hitting the shelves but I'm not 100% convinced. Any suggestions?

Fusso soft 99 is more of a sealant than a wax - which you can top off with a wax if you wish, likes to be put on bare paint the best and really does add a gloss...

Adjustments.JPG

Spray sealant - I’ve used DetailedOnline Si02 spray, which is very easy to use and gives very nice results, no issues at all with smearing. Recently used turtlewax hybrid sealant spray and been very pleased with it (great value if you buy on offer). Both of these can be used on dry paint or as a drying aid - so you can easily top up the protection you have...

Back