Washing Your Car!

Nice one thanks. Now the big question: is going to Halfords for sealant an essential journey?

Nice one thanks. Now the big question: is going to Halfords for sealant an essential journey?

Haha - well could be :D

DetailedOnline do free delivery on all orders.

You can also get the turtle wax from Euro Car Parts - free delivery to you...

being on lock down i decided to try out turtlewax hybrid ceramic spray coating
didn't do any paint prep just snow foam and wash

TqD4xhE.jpg

i think it turned out quite well all things considered

Haha - well could be :D

DetailedOnline do free delivery on all orders.

You can also get the turtle wax from Euro Car Parts - free delivery to you...

Bit the bullet and decided it was essential! There's a Sainsburys next door where I needed things anyway. Got the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax as I've heard good things about it. Base coat on and tomorrow if the weather is good I'll do a second coat. Already has a nice deep look.

Bit the bullet and decided it was essential! There's a Sainsburys next door where I needed things anyway. Got the Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax as I've heard good things about it. Base coat on and tomorrow if the weather is good I'll do a second coat. Already has a nice deep look.

Looking forward to your thoughts on it, don’t forget the pictures :j

being on lock down i decided to try out turtlewax hybrid ceramic spray coating
didn't do any paint prep just snow foam and wash

TqD4xhE.jpg

i think it turned out quite well all things considered

That looks nice, a good deep shine which I prefer to the ultra gloss kind! (depending on the car and colour though)

Last edited:
Looking forward to your thoughts on it, don’t forget the pictures :j

I'll see what it looks like tomorrow, I've never washed my car at home because I don't have a driveway. The various options have been:

Local hand car wash, but on two occasions they chipped my paintwork by having the lance too close. I'm also not sure what's in that unlabelled bottle they spray on. I'm guessing Traffic Film Remover?

Local jet wash, but I only use the brush to drip and semi spray the shampoo on and don't actually use the brush itself. Then hose down. This usually does enough to remove a bulk of crud, but it's still a bit crap.

Automatic car wash, I don't particularly like or trust these but sometimes they are convenient and there's a new one nearby. However, I went to machine polish my car the other day dvd noticed scratches all over it. Thought it might be the car parks but then spotted they were similar on both sides so I'm guessing it's these bloody car washes. Thankfully polished out.

So, I'm going to stick with hand washing at home, it's annoying as I have to drag the hose through the house. I might look at installing a tap at the front.

Anyway, ultimately the sealant is really to make future cleaning easier as my car doesn't stay clean for long. I'll get a photo tomorrow hopefully.

Popped to the local BP garage for some milk and they have a jet wash behind so I did the second coat after doing the first initiating one. I'm not convinced just yet, simply spraying on then washing off and then drying doesn't give me the feeling that it's going to last, but perhaps chemistry is going to prove me wrong! There was a lovely bird crap on the boot since the first coat, typical eh? But it washed off so quickly I never even saw it disappear!

It's definitely a deep finish rather than a high gloss, although I think this probably suits this car and colour, whereas black would suit a high gloss instead? It could be dependent on your paintwork and current wax/sealant condition before applying this stuff? But it's the protection I'm interesting in, so time will tell. I've only got a few photos in the dying light with my phone, I know it's the beading you want to see but I had just dried her (as per instructions) so I wasn't going to get her soaking again.

DSC_0273.JPG

DSC_0276.JPG

DSC_0278.JPG

And here's a comparison shot of when she was simply just washed (bottom) compared with post-ceramic spray wax (top):

DSC_0275.JPG

Reference shot - just washing.jpg

So far washed 2 sets of wheels, discovered ive run out of cleaning stuff and hoovered both cars thoroughly. Order online for required snow foam, tyre cleaner and dry aid. Warming up nicely for the end of the week for a washing session.

Meguires Ceramic Spray Wax beading. Not bad, just hope it lasts.

DSC_0283.JPG

DSC_0284.JPG

I have been using Autobrite Ceramic Infused shampoo, even without a follow up polish and wax, it gives great beading. Up until lockdown the car had been done once a fortnight and the ceramic is supposed to top up the previous wash.
No idea when it's likely to get another wash now.

I have been using Autobrite Ceramic Infused shampoo, even without a follow up polish and wax, it gives great beading. Up until lockdown the car had been done once a fortnight and the ceramic is supposed to top up the previous wash.
No idea when it's likely to get another wash now.

How do you go on with the windscreen ? Does it cause any issues with smearing / wiper judder ?

If the cars at your house / on drive etc, presently no issues with you washing it...

I hate that when wax etc gets on the windscreen and causes that hazy smear when wiping. I've got some of that Autosmart glass cleaner, it's crazy strong and dissolves wax, grease etc with ease.

I hate that when wax etc gets on the windscreen and causes that hazy smear when wiping. I've got some of that Autosmart glass cleaner, it's crazy strong and dissolves wax, grease etc with ease.

Same here, don’t use anything on the windscreen.

The AS glass cleaner sounds excellent - where did you get it from mate ? Sounds just the thing I’ve been after...

How do you go on with the windscreen ? Does it cause any issues with smearing / wiper judder ?

If the cars at your house / on drive etc, presently no issues with you washing it...
No smearing or wiper judder.
Unfortunately car is parked in the road and not even directly outside, it's down the road.

Same here, don’t use anything on the windscreen.

The AS glass cleaner sounds excellent - where did you get it from mate ? Sounds just the thing I’ve been after...

I borrow a little via a trade route, but I'm sure it must be obtainable online? I use their screenwash as well, it's good stuff and doesn't smear like I find with the Halfords and other stuff.

I borrow a little via a trade route, but I'm sure it must be obtainable online? I use their screenwash as well, it's good stuff and doesn't smear like I find with the Halfords and other stuff.

Cheers

I’ll see if I can find somewhere local that has some to try out ...

Cheers

I’ll see if I can find somewhere local that has some to try out ...

I also forgot to say, you know that grease type of film which can cover the inside of your windscreen, I think it may have been discussed on here before, I tried all sorts of window cleaners but they just pushed the grease around.

The Autosmart was the only one which seemed to dissolve the grease and it simply wiped away. It has a lovely strong window cleaner type smell as well.

Couple of shots from cleaning and waxing wife’s car over Easter...

Adjustments.JPG

Although a couple of days later wondered why I’d bothered...

Adjustments.JPG

Cleaned the car for the first time in months. Then discovered some clear coat flaking on the bonnet :mad:

Couple of shots from cleaning and waxing wife’s car over Easter...

Although a couple of days later wondered why I’d bothered...

View attachment 275519
Finally got my car closer to home during the week and gave it a good clean, polish and wax. Went out earlier and the layer of dust on it was unbelievable. I have had to park down the road again, so no idea when I will get to clean it again.

Finally got my car closer to home during the week and gave it a good clean, polish and wax. Went out earlier and the layer of dust on it was unbelievable. I have had to park down the road again, so no idea when I will get to clean it again.

I know - frustrating part of it. If it was mucky, you’d not notice nor care, but when you get clean, aaaaargh :)

I know - frustrating part of it. If it was mucky, you’d not notice nor care, but when you get clean, aaaaargh :)
I'd love to know where it is coming from, no high winds or stormy weather and barely any traffic. It's like a very fine brown sand. The car was covered in it when prior to cleaning too. It's almost as bad as the dust that instantly built up on my car when they were widening the local section of the M25 in preparation for the 2012 London Olympics.

Not good...

Hopefully you get it sorted...
My choices are either I can try a bodge repair or get a respray (likely to cost circa £1000 from my own research). Bodyshops locally are shut so I’d have to wait.

My choices are either I can try a bodge repair or get a respray (likely to cost circa £1000 from my own research). Bodyshops locally are shut so I’d have to wait.

Suppose it depends on where the issue is, how competent you feel and will it be noticed ?

Hope you get it sorted...

I'd love to know where it is coming from, no high winds or stormy weather and barely any traffic. It's like a very fine brown sand. The car was covered in it when prior to cleaning too. It's almost as bad as the dust that instantly built up on my car when they were widening the local section of the M25 in preparation for the 2012 London Olympics.

Did the wife’s car again yesterday and it was covered in pollen last night...

I just use a cheap apc to clean and then I have diluted PERL for all the plastics.

I need to try some of this. Keep hearing good things about it and it can be diluted down.

Put in on my shopping list I think :thumb:

Did the wife’s car again yesterday and it was covered in pollen last night...
I moved the car this morning back outside ours and decided to clean the car again. It wasn't dirty as such, but covered in fine dust that may well be pollen. So I cleaned it with the Autobrite ceramic infused shampoo. Because it was sunny, warm and windy the car was drying in no time at all. I went around the car at least 4 times as the dust/pollen kept falling on the car. In the end I went over the car with a black detailing spray and thick microfiber cloth to get rid of the water marks. Probably added a load of fine swirl marks, but couldn't be helped. As I finished, the dust/pollen wasn't just settling on the car, I could see it blowing across the car and down the windscreen, building up on the wipers. :(

Suppose it depends on where the issue is, how competent you feel and will it be noticed ?
It's in the middle of the bonnet (both horizontally and vertically). It's small (maybe 1cm by 2cm ?). I'm tempted to give it a go but it'll be my first ever attempt at such a thing.

Other than that, I got a compliment from the neighbour for my car being so shiny. It hasn't had a top up of wax since September last year (Swissvax Best of Show), which has probably degraded by now. After drying, I went over the car with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. It did make the car look shiny.

It's in the middle of the bonnet (both horizontally and vertically). It's small (maybe 1cm by 2cm ?). I'm tempted to give it a go but it'll be my first ever attempt at such a thing.

Other than that, I got a compliment from the neighbour for my car being so shiny. It hasn't had a top up of wax since September last year (Swissvax Best of Show), which has probably degraded by now. After drying, I went over the car with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. It did make the car look shiny.

That’s a pain - probably worst position...

Nice when you get a compliment, I’ve had a few and have done a few neighbours cars for them.

Sonax BSD is very nice, can be used as a drying aid as well. Also mixes well with Autoglym Aqua Wax (50/50).

Gave the car another clean today. It was covered in pollen or fine dust, but I have a brush made of long soft wool, so was able to lightly brush the dust off the car. After a wash, I used Autobrites filler glaze, doing one panel at a time so the heat of the sun didn't dry it out too much, polished that off then used Autobrites Hellshine Deep Abyss synthetic wax sealant. No danger of that drying out as it is like vaseline in consistency, As the Deep Abyss is also a great colour restorer for black trim, engine covers, wheel arch liners and window rubbers, they all got a coat too, plus used it on the tyre walls too.

Policeman drove past checking up that people are observing lockdown and not standing around in groups. He didn't say a word, so I guess cleaning a car and not just the windows, in the street is ok, unlike what itv's Dr Hilary Jones reckons. :)

Back