Washing Your Car!

Sponges are safer as if any debris/grit gets under it, it will either sink into the sponge not the paintwork as its softer or it will drop into the cavity of the sponge.

Washing up liquid is fine. My valeters and detailers use it daily on my prestige stock cars and my own cars.
TFR is far more aggressive that washing up liquid. FACT
TFR is made for cars, washing up liquid is made for dishes. TFR can be aggressive but it depends on which one you use and how much you dilute it as I've put in a previous post. My main one is a 'gentle' one that that doesn't remove wax. I'm not sure I'd have many customers left if I used washing up liquid ;)

Okay guys,

Just sprayed some snowfoam and its not as I expected!

Not very foamy, doesn't blanket the car. What am I doing wrong? I have followed the instructions properly. Smells nice though, like marzipan lol :D

I assume you have bought a snowfoam gun to apply it?

Washing up liquid is fine. My valeters and detailers use it daily on my prestige stock cars and my own cars.
TFR is far more aggressive that washing up liquid. FACT

I thought washing up liquid strips the wax off the car? I use it as a first wash if I intend to clay and apply a new wax.

My car's black too! I found my silver car before this one hid dirt much better. But I guess its more of a pain to clean by the time the dirt does show :)

Poorboys Black Hole is supposed to be good for black cars.

Another option is to pay a detailer to sort it out for you. Once they've worked their magic, you just need to keep the wash regime going :)

Sponges are safer as if any debris/grit gets under it, it will either sink into the sponge not the paintwork as its softer or it will drop into the cavity of the sponge.
Sorry but that is complete rubbish. The grit sits on the top. How can it sink into a sponge? whereas with a lambs wool mitt any grit or dirt safely goes in to the ply of the wool, not sitting on the top, and then comes out when you rub it on a grit guard. Washing up liquid with a sponge?? Really?

Sorry but that is complete rubbish. The grit sits on the top. How can it sink into a sponge? whereas with a lambs wool mitt any grit or dirt safely goes in to the ply of the wool, not sitting on the top, and then comes out when you rub it on a grit guard. Washing up liquid with a sponge?? Really?
Mike stick to what you know. It's fact.

If you press grit against paint work the grit will only scratch the paint if the pressure is enough. If you use a sponge the pressure on the grit is reduced as the sponge is soft. So before you post saying in talking Rubbish do a bit of homework pal.

I have been in the Motor trade for over 20 Years as a Panel Beater/Painter, Now as a Director of a Used Car Sales business. I have Valeted/polished thousands of cars in my time. Also all the decent valeters detailers I have employed work by the same method.

Mike stick to what you know. It's fact.

If you press grit against paint work the grit will only scratch the paint if the pressure is enough. If you use a sponge the pressure on the grit is reduced as the sponge is soft. So before you post saying in talking Rubbish do a bit of homework pal.

I have been in the Motor trade for over 20 Years as a Panel Beater/Painter, Now as a Director of a Used Car Sales business. I have Valeted/polished thousands of cars in my time. Also all the decent valeters detailers I have employed work by the same method.
But the grit is still on the face of the sponge, rubbing against the paint. I did do my homework which is why I used a lambs wool mitt and the two bucket method. Just because you can paint and sell a car doesn't mean you are cleaning them right. The fact you use washing up liquid proves that. I've seen places that do the same thing and don't valet properly. You do what you like because quite frankly I can't be bothered to argue with you about it.

Being a painter means you know nothing about cleaning paintwork or scratches. Really?

The soft give in the sponge takes the pressure off the grit against the paintwork resulting in less damage.

Last edited:
I've used Poorboys Black Hole and yes it is good, but I found Turtle Wax's Black Box much better. With the latter, once the car is washed, the Black Box kit includes a black coloured polish, which has fillers to fill in the fine scratches, once applied, buff off with the black coloured detailing spray, then apply the black coloured carnauba wax, then buff with the black detailing spray again, The mirror like finish is amazing.
1233613_185535254959526_1702507255_n.jpg

I'm pretty tight (financially speaking) but even I can't be arsed to wash my car by hand when I can pay the local Polish boys £6-8 to give it a good wash and polish.

Reactions: BBR
Being a painter means you know nothing about cleaning paintwork or scratches. Really?

The soft give in the sponge takes the pressure off the grit against the paintwork resulting in less damage.

Aah yes...less damage than directly applying the grit using the rock it came from perhaps, less than a lambswool? Nope, fact. Sponge still incurs grit to surface, more so than lambswool however you try to justify it.

Well...lets just say I would not buy a car you valeted with fairy liquid in any case and leave it there lmao.

I assume you have bought a snowfoam gun to apply it?

I thought washing up liquid strips the wax off the car? I use it as a first wash if I intend to clay and apply a new wax.

Another option is to pay a detailer to sort it out for you. Once they've worked their magic, you just need to keep the wash regime going :)

I have this bottle attachment that I got with my Karcher. It does say that it is a foam gun attachment, holds about 500ml approx.

I tried it again later, neat with no dilution and got the same result. There is foam coming out, but not like how I seen in the photos of the mini posted in an earlier post. To put it bluntly, it just p*sses out.

I'm pretty tight (financially speaking) but even I can't be arsed to wash my car by hand when I can pay the local Polish boys £6-8 to give it a good wash and polish.

I used to do the same, but as I mentioned earlier. They price in my local area has increased. Then I saw them clean someone's car with a dirty bucket of water.

Guy had a tiny bucket, about 2.5-5L max. of water and detergent. He cleaned a white Audi TT, alloys first, with a microfibre cloth with the little bucket. Then he rinsed the cloth in the bucket of water, then to my horror, proceeded to swipe that same cloth and water into the white Audi's bodywork.

I could see the black water running off the white paint from the cloth he was using.

I don't own a flashy expensive car, but even I wouldn't want that doing to my car. I paid for it to be cleaned, not ruined. If I wanted scratches, I'd ask a local chav to key it for free lol :D

Aah yes...less damage than directly applying the grit using the rock it came from perhaps, less than a lambswool? Nope, fact. Sponge still incurs grit to surface, more so than lambswool however you try to justify it.

Well...lets just say I would not buy a car you valeted with fairy liquid in any case and leave it there lmao.

My cars would be out of your price range anyway!!

You expect me to be polite after your previous comment. Trying to get a reaction?? Well done it's obviously worked.

I use about three to four buckets of water to wash the car (don't do it very often though, because it hasn't been dry and sunny enough yet). The first bucket of very warm water (or maybe two if the car is filthy) has car shampoo and is applied using a very clean large sponge. The second or third bucket is cool water to get rid of the sud and smears. The last bucket is used with a chamois to leave the surface ready for the first polish - usually Meguirs applied with a soft cloth and buffed with a microfibre cloth. If I need to apply more polish then I use Turtle Wax.

I think I need a rest now, that has made me feel tired.

And another TP thread decends into a a bunch of primary school kids bickering in the playground.

Having a nice cold,beer after washing my car with fairy liquid and a pot scourer. That was after is pressure washed it with a rotational jet, especially around the parking sensors, then dried it of with a squeegee and an old rag found in the garage.

.....and I only have one bucket.

I have this bottle attachment that I got with my Karcher. It does say that it is a foam gun attachment, holds about 500ml approx.

I tried it again later, neat with no dilution and got the same result. There is foam coming out, but not like how I seen in the photos of the mini posted in an earlier post. To put it bluntly, it just p*sses out.

I have the Autobrite HD lance, so can't comment on the Karcher version. Looking at a Youtube vid, it has the adjuster knob on it which I assume you've tried moving? You will also find some snow foams are thicker than others and also dependant on the mix ratio. Might be worth investing in a decent foam such as Valet Pro PH Neutral.

And another TP thread decends into a a bunch of primary school kids bickering in the playground.

Having a nice cold,beer after washing my car with fairy liquid and a pot scourer. That was after is pressure washed it with a rotational jet, especially around the parking sensors, then dried it of with a squeegee and an old rag found in the garage.

You forgot to say how much extra value that added to the premium marque you retail... oh wait sorry not you lol...move along now I already have my coat ;)

My cars would be out of your price range anyway!!
You've been reported a few times today and I can see why. At the same time it does look a bit like some are trying to get you to bite, which you do. Just a suggestion, let it go, report it to us and we'll sort it out.

Generally, I'm starting to get a bit fed up of all the petty sniping and trolling going on at the moment. Time to stop it guys :)

You've been reported a few times today and I can see why. At the same time it does look a bit like some are trying to get you to bite, which you do. Just a suggestion, let it go, report it to us and we'll sort it out.

Generally, I'm starting to get a bit fed up of all the petty sniping and trolling going on at the moment. Time to stop it guys :)

Glad you noticed.

A non rotational jet will do more damage to the parking sensors.

Glad you noticed.
As a collective we notice pretty much everything. It's amazing how many think we're stupid and continually try to push the boundaries. Hey ho, it just means that every now and again we have a purge :)

On my Karcher, the lance you need to adjust to reduce the flow out from it - this tends to allow it to mix and cover the car - I've not used any "snow foam" stuff though, so not sure if it would cover the car as you're after...

I have the Autobrite HD lance, so can't comment on the Karcher version. Looking at a Youtube vid, it has the adjuster knob on it which I assume you've tried moving? You will also find some snow foams are thicker than others and also dependant on the mix ratio. Might be worth investing in a decent foam such as Valet Pro PH Neutral.

On my Karcher, the lance you need to adjust to reduce the flow out from it - this tends to allow it to mix and cover the car - I've not used any "snow foam" stuff though, so not sure if it would cover the car as you're after...

I have a regular non adjustable lance, one for the patio, and a foam bottle. Looked at a few videos and done some reading and have found out that the "foam bottle" by Karcher is more of a detergent bottle.

Like mentioned, the autobrite bottle/lance, is what I need. A dedicated snow foam lance. I found these range widely in price too lol :(

I have a regular non adjustable lance, one for the patio, and a foam bottle. Looked at a few videos and done some reading and have found out that the "foam bottle" by Karcher is more of a detergent bottle.

Like mentioned, the autobrite bottle/lance, is what I need. A dedicated snow foam lance. I found these range widely in price too lol :(

Certainly sounds like it then - I suppose the real question is, if you are having to spend some money on a dedicated lance (not sure how much they are) - do you really need one ?

Last edited:
To be honest they are a bit of a novelty, I think I used mine once or twice last year. A quick blast with the pressure washer, followed by a bucket of warm water, a lambswool mitt and some shampoo (Dodo Juice etc) is enough to get the crap off.

My method is definitely worth a try...

Me : oh look at that! A bird has pooped on your car...
Him : that'll stain the paintwork, I'll go & clean it now...
Me : would you like pizza for dinner? Might take a while...
Him : yes please!
Me : as you're doing your car, I noticed my wheels are a bit grubby, you've probably got a bit of time to give them a quick rinse...
Him: I'll see...

Usually resulting in a shiney clean set of cars [emoji106]

Me : as you're doing your car, I noticed my wheels are a bit grubby, you've probably got a bit of time to give them a quick rinse...

Funny enough - my other half does something like this - but misses out the "shall I do tea" bit, I think I need to have a word :D

That's the one I got with the washer. Don't buy it for snow foam, it's absolute pants! The dedicated foam lance is like £40-£50. There's some on ebay, but not sure how they will compare to the expensive ones.

Haha! :D Unfortunately for me, I'd be the guy in that story :(

Pal at work bought a new car, his pride and joy.
He parked it in a tree lined avenue with the consequence that it got covered in bird poo, by the time he got back to his car the sun had pretty much baked it on.
Wifey says she'll clean it, which she does. Can't shift the poo so uses a Brillo pad!...The car looked lovely while it was still wet. Oh how we laughed!

What's this thing I keep hearing about WD40? That apparently I can use it for a multitude of things on the car, including cleaning the paintwork and scratch removal?!

Back