Wasp iD?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
We recently had to have a wasp nest dealt with in the eaves of our roof. Prior to the pest controller coming in we had some wasps coming into the house - usual size.
However last evening when I went into the upstairs study I found a much larger example dead on my mouse-pad.
Is it a wasp? Hornet? Something else?

1DC049F7-D1E2-4716-B7F5-2D0B32FB18FC.jpeg

84C944A7-51F5-483B-8B26-318AB0E15FD8.jpeg

Looking at the eyes makes me think of a Hover species :thinking:

Edit ~ yours does look like this one

Last edited:

Does look similar doesn’t it.

Yes that is right. Although it does live in wasp nests.

Yes that is right. Although it does live in wasp nests.
Don't they build their own in trees/rotting wood normally? Or do they just move in to old nests?
I thought Hoverflies prefer to stay away from buildings except when they get lost or drawn in by house plants :LOL:

Don't they build their own in trees/rotting wood normally? Or do they just move in to old nests?
I thought Hoverflies prefer to stay away from buildings except when they get lost or drawn in by house plants :LOL:
Hoverflies have a wide variety of larval habitats some do live in rot holes but others live as commensals in wasp nests (like this one).
The ones I see most of all eat aphids but there are some that live in ant nests as parasites and others eat daffodil bulbs.

Hoverflies have a wide variety of larval habitats some do live in rot holes but others live as commensals in wasp nests (like this one).
The ones I see most of all eat aphids but there are some that live in ant nests as parasites and others eat daffodil bulbs.
Everydays a school day, cheers (y)

Can I recommend the ObsIdentify app? It's amazing how far 'ai' has come in a few years. I fed it your photo and it agreed with Box Brownie about the species.

It's not at the stage where you can take the answer as gospel every single time but it's remarkable how accurate it can be and it's a useful starting point

Back