Waste of water

I don't know...but I'd pay to see it ;)

David, post a shot of you tipping a decent sized (not sandcastle!!!) bucket of water over your head and I'll send a cheque to Water Aid - £25, shall we say? Oh, use sea water so it's not a wasted resource!

FTR, I was unaware of this ice bucket challenge thing until I saw this thread but have since seen it on a few TV slots so MY awareness has certainly been raised by the stunts.

Pour bucket of water on the ground. Water evaporates. Falls as rain, goes back into the rivers and lakes... not wasted.

The amount of water on the earth doesn't change very much, and hasn't for millions of years. Sometimes more of it is stored as ice than others, and sometimes more of it is in the air as water vapour more than others. Sometimes weather dumps it where it's not wanted, and doesn't dump it where it's needed. However... you can not waste water. It's actually impossible.
Would be different if the challenge was about launching buckets of water into outer space, I suppose. More interesting to watch too.

David, post a shot of you tipping a decent sized (not sandcastle!!!) bucket of water over your head and I'll send a cheque to Water Aid - £25, shall we say? Oh, use sea water so it's not a wasted resource!

FTR, I was unaware of this ice bucket challenge thing until I saw this thread but have since seen it on a few TV slots so MY awareness has certainly been raised by the stunts.

I'd rather just send £25 myself if it's all the same to you :)

Chicken! ;) (Yup, all the same to me - I was going to offer to do the same thing with a bucket next week - but it could be seen as cheating in the nice warm Med compared to Blackpool!!!)

Pour bucket of water on the ground. Water evaporates. Falls as rain, goes back into the rivers and lakes... not wasted.

The amount of water on the earth doesn't change very much, and hasn't for millions of years. Sometimes more of it is stored as ice than others, and sometimes more of it is in the air as water vapour more than others. Sometimes weather dumps it where it's not wanted, and doesn't dump it where it's needed. However... you can not waste water. It's actually impossible.

but it does cost hard cash to collect, purify and distribute..

Likewise I've often wondered why so many people choose commute to work each day. Why don't they just move nearer their jobs. Just think of all the time and resources they'd save, not to mention the beneficial effects for global warming.

amen to that

@archangel take no notice, I hear what you are saying

Let me relate to everybody a very short story from just a few days ago.....

I was sat in the office talking with a colleague, we were talking about a cheque for £500 that we had just posted off, just then we over heard some others talking about the ice bucket challenge thing - Now the £500 we had just sent off was so that a well could be sunk in a remote part of the world, enabling the people of a village to have fresh, clean, drinking and cooking water for the first time.

Whilst it is great that awareness has been raised with this ice bucket challenge it has now become obscene in my opinion

I can understand you being p***ed off.

I am on holiday in the land of the free and have donated probably about $70 or so the street folk, so far.

It definitely p***ed me off when I had no notes to get Sprite for my whisky:oops: :$:oops: :$:oops: :$:mad:

I can understand you being p***ed off.

I am on holiday in the land of the free and have donated probably about $70 or so the street folk, so far.

It definitely p***ed me off when I had no notes to get Sprite for my whisky:oops: :$:oops: :$:oops: :$:mad:

You put sprite in whisky?
You should be taken out back an beaten :LOL:

SPRITE IN WHISKY !!:eek::arghh::rage::punch:
That is a crime which deserves the most severe punishment possible

Ban him till he learns correct drinking habits !

:eek:Beaten twice.......the only thing that should be in your whisky is whisky.......

To be fair, I occasionally use whisky stones if I fancy it a bit chilled...... But they don't melt & dilute the nectar.... And if I'm drinking cask-strength, I'll add a drop (and I mean a drop) of filtered water.

To be fair, I occasionally use whisky stones if I fancy it a bit chilled...... But they don't melt & dilute the nectar.... And if I'm drinking cask-strength, I'll add a drop (and I mean a drop) of filtered water.

Why would you want chilled Whisky? this intriques me....:confused:

Not necessarily true. The argument is that it's wasting 'usable' water.
Sure, it evaporates and then rains it down, but often elsewhere :p

However... you can not waste water. It's actually impossible.

[pedantic mode]

Well you could pass electricity through it and split the hydrogen atoms from the oxygen atom then use the resultant gases for other purposes thus reducing the available amount of water on the planet.

[/pedantic mode]

[pedantic mode]

Well you could pass electricity through it and split the hydrogen atoms from the oxygen atom then use the resultant gases for other purposes thus reducing the available amount of water on the planet.

[/pedantic mode]

True, but common as muck these days :LOL: ;)

[pedantic mode]

[/pedantic mode]

[Pedantic mode] That wouldn't be wasting water though - that would be putting it to use for something required and needed. [/pedantic mode] :)

Read someplace that it's original water we had from the beginning of time. Plenty to go around, just that it's not distributed evenly.

Last edited:
Why would you want chilled Whisky? this intriques me....:confused:
Just sometimes, I fancy a slightly chilled whisky. I like some of lighter peated malts a bit chilled at times (we're not talking cold here, just a few degrees below room temp), say a nice Penderyn peated or Isle of Jura Superstition. My brother, who lives in Sydney, put me onto whisky stones - I use them in chilled wine at times as well - keeps it cooler longer :)

Edit: Sorry - now taken this way off-topic

[pedantic mode]

[/pedantic mode]

But then you burn it with the resultant byproduct of water

I'd rather have syphilis....

You sort of do... and spend most of your productive time right in the centre of it! :) I'm not sure if the rest of your comment still stands, I hope not.

We'll take the voice of experience for that!

I didnt think it worked that way. I understood that you had a bucket of ice water thrown over you and then YOU donated to charity

I didnt think it worked that way. I understood that you had a bucket of ice water thrown over you and then YOU donated to charity

And not one remotely related to water. :rage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Bucket_Challenge
I know it's Wiki but I think it's probably reasonably accurate! It would appear that those being iced are the ones who DON'T want to donate and take the forfeit instead - and Archangel's original post led me to assume (foolish, I know...) that the recipient charity was Water Aid rather than the charities mentioned in the Wiki article.

Interestingly, a Google for Ice bucket challenge brings Macmillan Cancer Support as the top result (a sponsored link/ad). http://www.macmillan.org.uk/ice-nom...UKfHQiSkfgs_NwIvxxaypyZzfR_eMURQ6oaAmkt8P8HAQ and since that's a charity I already support, I'll drop that £25 into the next Macmillan bucket I see when we get back.

IceBucketChallenge_zpsfd215e82.jpg

The more the merrier. The idea sprang to me earlier on today, so I had to scratch that itch.

I will pass it on to a few people that I know that work in media....you never know it might lead to a few opportunities......fingers crossed

Back