Watches

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Im thinking of spending a bit of money on a nice watch rather than another camera. I have wanted a decent watch for several years now and have been trawling around looking for something i like. I want something i can wear day and night so not a dress type watch. Im being drawn to a few of the Breitling watches. I don't want to pay more than around £5k.My questions are-where to buy it from? Any really good companies to deal with that do good deals on nice watches? Is it worth buying a pre-owned watch from the likes of watchfinder etc? It doesn't need to be a Breitling but thats what i have been looking at...Cheers...

The watch I usually wear is probably the least accurate one I own and is by far the oldest. It's older than me! Not 100% sure exactly how old but it was Mum's wedding present to Dad in 1960 or '61 and may well have been preowned then. I would expect a similar quality watch from today to last at least as long, given servicing etc. as required.

IF I was looking at buying myself a "posh" watch, I'd decide exactly what I wanted from looking at all possible sources then try to find one at the right price. Preowned wouldn't bother me too much as long as it was from a reputable supplier.

I used to go daft on watches but since I got my Breitling in 2001, it's hardly been off my wrist.

Plenty well under £5000.

I recommend Laing's, as I also bought a preowned Rolex from them in Glasgow many decades ago and that still works fine.

I was always looking at the next watch until I bought an Android one, now I can have any face I like and change it twenty times a day if I want plus all the other functionality = win/win.

My everyday watch is a Raymond Weil Freelancer I bought in 2011 - just under £2k at the time - and I love it. I got it from Beaverbrooks - the price was the same everywhere (well, at all the High St places, anyway).

I'd like to get one of the Omegas, as they're really nice too - understated, which I prefer to some of the "flashier" Breitlings, Rolexes and Tags.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBR
That's why I wear Dad's watch, although it's a Rolex, it's very understated and not at all bling! If people aren't experts, they're unlikely to know what it is without close inspection.
Would be nice if it kept better time but it's easy enough to advance it a minute or so per week. If I need to know the exact time, I'll wear a radio controlled one instead!

I've had my tag for 20 years and it still looks good. Never missed a beat. Cost me $600 when on holiday in Florida.

I've got a 1970s Omega Seamaster (Cosmic 2000) my wife bought me at auction.
Much more understated than modern 'Look at me!' bling watches that don't fit under a shirt cuff. Your tastes may differ!
Cost a lot less than buying a new one, plus I like owning something with a bit of life behind it. I'd check out upcoming auctions - the main auction houses have watches up pretty regularly.

Would be nice if it kept better time but it's easy enough to advance it a minute or so per week. !

I would say, for an automatic watch that's not excessive. My RW is similar. Although, weirdly, if I forget to adjust it, it never goes beyond a max of 3-4 minutes slow.

Have you had it serviced? It would be worth having done at "proper" Rolex dealer. It'll cost as much as a decent Seiko, but way cooler :)

I collect watches and have had an interest in them for many years. To me they are miniature engineering marvels. Currently the collection is made up of a few Omega, Rolex, Tudor, Grand Seiko, Sinn, and Panerai. I have never owned a Breitling but they are highly thought of.

Do a bit of research and have a look on some of the watch forums. TZUK, Watchuseek, The Rolex Forum. They will all have lots of information on many different types and makes of watches. I have really been impressed with the two Tudors that I have picked up recently. Particularly the Black Bay Black. Watchfinder has mixed reviews but I have used them once and not had a problem. That was selling to them though.Until Rolex put the prices up in Europe in February Iconic Watches were great for Rolex watches. They import them and are a grey market dealership but highly regarded and have a bricks and mortar shop that is a joy to visit. You will find that they have some Breitlings at good prices still.

Also have a look at some of the lesser known brands like Sinn. There are only two or three UK dealers but they are fantastic watches. The 140A I have is one of my favourite watches. German engineering at its best.

If you are buying a watch for life and want something special you cannot go wrong with a Rolex. They have a reputation for a reason. I am lucky enough to have a Deepsea Blue and I know that one will be with me to the end.

Watches are always down to personal preference and you may find that something that looks great in a photo, doesn't feel great on your wrist. Try to view and try on any watch you are interested in before buying. Also you can save a lot of money buying used, but only from trusted sellers.

Good luck and let us know what you go for in the end.

Chris

I have recently got into watches and found myself in a similar situation. I ended up making an appointment at one of the high street stores and having a good look and everything. I went in with about 5 watches in mind and then asked the sales person to show me some alternatives. They were extremely helpful and patient with me and I ended up going for an Omega planet ocean.

I have my eye on a Tag Monaco at the moment and with the discount available, if you ask, it is tempting.

Have fun trying them on, I think the search for your dream piece is half the fun.

I always yearned after an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean, and almost bought it last year. However, since buying an Apple Watch I cannot imagine not wearing it. I have not worn any of my other watches since.

I have an Omega Planet Ocean, bought it from Beaverbrooks and negotiated 10% off, I wear it daily and love it.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watche...ean-600m/omega-co-axial-42-mm/23232422101003/

I also have a Seamaster that I bought new 13 years ago for £750, it's worth about double that now so really you're making an investment... :D I've often thought of buying a Rolex but in my line of work they're perhaps a little too 'bling' and recognisable as being something expensive to wear daily.

I have an Omega Planet Ocean, bought it from Beaverbrooks and negotiated 10% off, I wear it daily and love it.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watche...ean-600m/omega-co-axial-42-mm/23232422101003/

I also have a Seamaster that I bought new 13 years ago for £750, it's worth about double that now so really you're making an investment... :D I've often thought of buying a Rolex but in my line of work they're perhaps a little too 'bling' and recognisable as being something expensive to wear daily.
Is that about a 5% increase in value every year? Is that a good investment?

I would say, for an automatic watch that's not excessive. My RW is similar. Although, weirdly, if I forget to adjust it, it never goes beyond a max of 3-4 minutes slow.

Have you had it serviced? It would be worth having done at "proper" Rolex dealer. It'll cost as much as a decent Seiko, but way cooler :)

Can't really complain about a minute or so per week, especially from something older than me! Yes, it went to Rolex themselves when I inherited it since it wasn't working (Dad didn't wear it since he was scared of breaking it so it needed a CLA. Cost over £700...) When it stopped working again last year, I took it to a local watchmaker who had been recommended to me by a couple of collectors and a mate. They replaced the main spring and serviced it for £230. Keeps better time since the local place had it than it did after Rolex did their service.

Just taken my rolex gmt 2 innto laings at glasgow today to have the bracelet refinished as I fell on to some stone steps last year. 60 quid for a brush and polish

I've bought and sold through Watchfinder and found them pretty fair when selling to them (bearing in mind they generally have to service, polish and put a new genuine strap on it which some 2nd hand dealers don't do).

Buying from them has been pretty painless, Always ask for their best price before committing. For example, I bought a Jaeger Lecoultre Master Hometime from them 2 weeks ago, advertised for £4250 and I got it for £4k. Not a massive discount but enough to get an additional, genuine JLC strap in a different colour which can drastically alter the look of a watch.

Between my wife and I we've sold 4-5 watches to them and bought a similar amount from them and never had a problem.

Whilst I wouldn't say that watches are a good investment, overall I'm probably slightly up on the ones I've bought and sold. Having said that, I got properly stung with an IWC Big Pilots that I'd bought, decided after a year it was too big, then sold. Lost about £3k on that. Had I kept it in a drawer for 5 years I'd have broken even. I won't be doing that again.......

Last edited:
It would break my heart to spend £5k on a watch.

It would break my heart to spend 30k on a car and watch it depreciate sitting on the drive. But there you go horses for courses. I guess this is one of those threads you are either in or out and I guess you are out.

Last edited:
Im wearing my old white gold bezel DJ as my GMT is at the menders

Pic

Attachments

• 1457359154856.jpg
    1457359154856.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 50
My most expensive watch is £100 and I thought that was posh.
£5k on a watch. o_O:eek::wideyed::hungover:

Oh I dunno equate it to the kind of mega crap folk will pay for to take pics of garden budgies :)

It would break my heart to spend 30k on a car and watch it depreciate sitting on the drive. But there you go horses for courses. I guess this is one of those threads you are either in or out and I guess you are out.
Spending 30k on a depreciating car would break my hard too, Ive never spent more than 7k. I don't spend money easily :)

Spending 30k on a depreciating car would break my hard too, Ive never spent more than 7k. I don't spend money easily :)

Maybe not but grumbling on a website about spending more money on something that you don't agree with, When at its heart this website deals with a luxury hobby which an outsider would baulk at the costs involved is a but laughable.

But like turning up at a posh golf club in your works van.

Last edited:
My most expensive watch is £100 and I thought that was posh.
£5k on a watch. o_O:eek::wideyed::hungover:
To each their own. I don't like how much Breitling Navitimers cost but haven't been without one since my 21st birthday present.

I wish I hadn't seen that, seriously tempted now...

This was the sort of thing I was looking at - the Breitling Chronospace-

http://www.thewatchsource.co.uk/item/Breitling/Chronospace-Automatic/a2336035~ba68-1lt.html

Not sure if this is a good company to use or if I can get it at a better price? Any other watches withi my price rage in a similar style I should be looking at?

Once you start really looking there'll be loads of brands, some slightly less well know, that do something similar for roughly the same amount. Looking at that Breitling you've linked to I would guess that you like an aviator type watch so watches by IWC, Bremont (British brand), Zenith, Bell & Ross etc. There are plenty to choose from. They'll be harder to find than a Rolex, Tag or Breitling but that doesn't mean they are lesser timepieces.

Also have a look at some of the lesser known brands like Sinn. There are only two or three UK dealers but they are fantastic watches. The 140A I have is one of my favourite watches. German engineering at its best.

Sinn do some great value watches. I haven't got one in my collection yet but they're on the (very long) short list.

Last edited:
I guess. But at least you get some enjoyment out of taking photos.
I've never found telling the time to be much fun.

get your wife to hand in all her nice jewelry and replace it with Elizabeth Duke and see what happens, different strokes for different folks.

Having a nice watch isn't really about telling the time, its having a lovely piece of engineering , cogs and wheels, ticking away on your wrist a craftmens item.
something many people are not really interested in I agree.

get your wife to hand in all her nice jewelry and replace it with Elizabeth Duke and see what happens, different strokes for different folks.

Having a nice watch isn't really about telling the time, its having a lovely piece of engineering , cogs and wheels, ticking away on your wrist a craftmens item.
#agree

I was always after a nice watch and promised myself one for my 50th but when it came to the parting with the money I could not justify it and bought a GShock instead to replace my very old GShock that is still fine.

My money is on a Supercharger kit instead once I get a few other things sorted out...if I have the bottle :eek::D

Last edited:
Will be spending less if i can help it but my aim above all else is to get something i want, so if i see one at £2k then great if not i can go up to my max budget to get what i want.
Have a look into service schedules and cost too as some of the more luxury brands can be very expensive - might be worth putting some of your budget to one side to allow for that over the next ten years.

Back