Water dripping into drivers footwell

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there

Its been happening for a while now, when it rains the water seems to drip in from above the accelerator pedal (right hand drive car).

When its been raining heavy and its like putting my foot in a puddle.

I did check the cabin/panel filter for leafs etc but it didn't seem blocked and apparently this effects the passenger side mainly? (same side as the filter).

I have also heard it could be the AC unit drain blocked. Not sure how I would check/unblock this?

Thanks,

EDIT: MK1 Seat Leon 1.4S

Last edited:
I can't be much help on this other than to suggest you let us know what the make, model and age of the car is. Then I'm sure members who know an awful lot more than I do will step in.
It could well be leaves blocking a drain hole but I'm no mechanic! Good luck with it.

I had a similar problem when the pollen filter was replaced, it was on a seat Toledo 2000 year. They had not fitted it correctly.

Have you had any work done on your car recently?

I take it you have googled the issue for your make and model of car?

+1 for Bill's comment.

As a wild stab in the dark, is it a Smart Roadster?

Ok,

Not had any dealings with a Seat. My wife had a Smart Roadster though and they were renowned for letting water in!

Many years ago when I replaced a throttle cable in my 1966 MG Midget I failed to refit the bulkhead grommet correctly and in heavy rain driving I got b****y soaked.

If the water is coming in when the car has not been driven in this rain I would suspect the ventilation system but if only when driving in the rain like my problem maybe a bulkhead seal???

Check the engine compartment for water running down the bulkhead. Have a look to see how the water that runs off the windscreen is meant to drain from the channel along the top of the bonnet, make sure it's clear. Basically check everywhere in that area, just because you see the water at the accelerator pedal doesn't mean that's where it's getting in.

If all else fails...........drill a tiny hole at the deepest part of the puddle. ;)

water runs down so I would be looking where the carpet is damp above etc

Got a sunroof? Golf Mk4s (same platform) had issues with the sunroof with the drainage pipes blocking up and water basically having nowhere to go apart from the footwells....

Unfortunately it was a problem with Mk 1 Seat Leons, due to faulty door seals. Water goes into the door via the sliding windows, but doesn't drain out, it drains in to the car instead.

We had one and it was a nightmare, literally sloshing around in rainy periods, and needing wellies to sit in the back. Seat made no contribution to remedying the problem, and it cost some £300 plus to have both doors done.

Have a read here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1245296

Last edited:
We had one and it was a nightmare, literally sloshing around in rainy periods, and needing willies to sit in the back. Seat made no contribution to remedying the problem, and it cost some £300 plus to have both doors done.

No gurls aloud?

Could possibly be the adhesive seal around the windscreen. Failing that I would check the heater matrix, all drain holes and drain hole rubbers.

if its got a plenum chamber between the engine bulkhead and the windscreen where the wiper mech is
check to see if the drains are free from leaves, one on either side next to the inner wing.

Take out the pollen filter cover and ensure there is no damage to it as water will go straight through it.

Also there is a grommet drivers side beneath the pannel in front of the windscreen that has the bonnet release cable in...

if its got a plenum chamber between the engine bulkhead and the windscreen where the wiper mech is
check to see if the drains are free from leaves, one on either side next to the inner wing.

Took it to a garage and they cleaned out the drains.

Had the ABS light come up as well so I thought may as well take it to a garage.

2 birds with 1 stone :D

Car is still wet inside from before so ile wait and see if its worked

Back