Water droplets

Name
Shane
Edit My Images
No
Hi, I recieved my Sigma 105mm f2.8 today, loving it already!
My first attempt at water droplets. C+C as always please.

It is a super lens. Wonderful picture by the way, I am loving that blue colour - how did you do this?

The lens is great - I bought mine over 6 years ago and its still as good now :) Definitely a lens I won't be replacing. Congrats on the purchase!

I did this using a paint roller tray filled with water, camera mounted on a tripod. Then suspended from a tripod I had a bag of water with a small hole in it to give me a nice steady flow of water droplets. :D
To get that colour blue, I set my camera white balance to tungston. The scene was lit partially by ambient light and on camera flash. The colour was pure fluke!!

Last edited:
whats the exif for these photos?

ONLY use a flash for illumination, in a darkened room. The shutter speed is irrelevant. Low ISO for quality, low aperture for DOF.

I was always able to see the bottom of the bowl that the water was in.

Droplets need lighting from behind, either reflected light or a lit up partially transulcent plastic or something. It gives the drops an "edge" and makes the surface of the water they're being dropped into opaque.

ETA: sorry for going off topic on your thread OP!

Last edited:
Nice, had a go at doing this a few weeks ago, didnt turn out as good as yours. Well done :)

Steve

I did this using a paint roller tray filled with water, camera mounted on a tripod. Then suspended from a tripod I had a bag of water with a small hole in it to give me a nice steady flow of water droplets. :D
To get that colour blue, I set my camera white balance to tungston. The scene was lit partially by ambient light and on camera flash. The colour was pure fluke!!

someone has been reading Digital SLR magazine ha ha... looks fantastic though much better than my attempt. Well done

Back