Water droplets

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
No
To go on from my 'accidental' Tigger straw photo, these are some of the water droplets that I took after using the straw to set things up. I think the first 2 were taken in that session but the last 2 at another time. I unfortunately had to use very strong sharpening on all of these.

These first 2 are edited to get rid of the smaller specs of water around the main drop in the centre and to darken the background, to help the main drop stand out better. They did take a lot of editing though and close-up you can tell.

305272718_ebd64b15cd_o.jpg

305272689_a743782d37.jpg

These next 2 are rather messy and lifeless, possibly my first attempt.

255764230_3ff1dda48b.jpg

255764259_36b73b7c10_o.jpg

Thanks Hank and Animal. :)

Hank - I used my Nikon D70s with Sigma 70-300mm APO lens. I'd like to try it with my Nikon 50mm lens which has amazing clarity, with a macro attachment on the end. The trouble is, I'd have to get something like 4cm away from the droplet then! Also the focusing is very critical, so I doubt it would work out. If only I had more money for more lenses! I guess we all wish the same. :)

Very nice captures, well done

Thanks Erding and Swag72. I looked at some of your pics on Flickr Swag72 and am very impressed! I really need to find things to take some photographs of as I haven't taken much for a while.

Are these actually done with a macro lens or??

Are these actually done with a macro lens or??

I used a Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro. However, it doesn't really fit the actual definition of macro despite being called it. So the camera had to be mounted several feet from the water and with the lens set to macro and high zoom. So not the best way to do it but I can't do any better with my lenses.

Thank you - And yes, I see what you mean after going to that link. :)

I'm trying to come up with better ways to take droplet shots without spending more money. Hmmm. I don't suppose my nifty 50 will focus close enough but I'll check.

How about a set of Kenko extension tubes? I've just bought a set for £67. Don't know if they would work - Can't wait to try them. There are loads on here that use them, so would be able to give some advise.

How about a set of Kenko extension tubes? I've just bought a set for £67. Don't know if they would work - Can't wait to try them. There are loads on here that use them, so would be able to give some advise.

I wish I could afford to buy more gear but I just cant afford anything for now. I wonder if Father Christmas might be extra generous this year? Worth mentioning when I write off to Lapland I suppose.

I've spent a while today with my nifty 50 and extension macro lens, trying to take better droplet shots, but I'm getting nowhere at all and now feel very frustrated. As expected, with the tiny DoF with extension macro lenses, the results I'm getting are all completely useless.

Bet what I cant work out if that if I use my 105 Sigma Macro taking water drops how would you set it up as the focus would be incorrect if I to use a remote shutters

Bet what I cant work out if that if I use my 105 Sigma Macro taking water drops how would you set it up as the focus would be incorrect if I to use a remote shutters

You need to pre-set the focus. What I do is to place something like a straw across the bowl of water, set the focus on that in the center and then change focusing to manual, so it won't change. Then you try to get the drops falling in roughly the same place as the straw was, so they'll be focused. Hope that helps.

Back