Water Movement

Name
Bat-Frog
Edit My Images
No
Have wanted to take some shots like this for a while, but the local rivers and coast seem to generate very little movement unless there's a force ten storm blowing.

With the "changeable" weather in Wales, I got the chance.

Nice, number 1 is subtly very good indeed IMO, would be improved by cropping the right hand third off to give a squarish format, also IMO:). Well thought and executed.

All up my street, I can't pick a favourite but it would be one of the 3 from no 2 to no 4.

A lovely set Ruth, with #2 being my favourite :)

Nice, number 1 is subtly very good indeed IMO, would be improved by cropping the right hand third off to give a squarish format, also IMO:). Well thought and executed.

All up my street, I can't pick a favourite but it would be one of the 3 from no 2 to no 4.

I really like 2 and 4. Some really nice textural feel to the latter. Good work with these.

Guys, thank you, I really appreciate your comments.

A lovely set you have there. I particularly like the 3rd, good light reflection and a very surreal feel to it........nice.

Great set of images. I particularly like 1and 3.
Can you provide details of equipment and settings used?

I really like number three, the light and colour make it a lovely abstract image(although personally I'd be tempted to crop the bottom off). I also like number four.

A lovely set you have there. I particularly like the 3rd, good light reflection and a very surreal feel to it........nice.

Thanks Mulch. :)

Great set of images. I particularly like 1and 3.
Can you provide details of equipment and settings used?

Thanks Bob.
All were taken with a Canon 40D, with a EF 70-200mm F2.8 L at 70mm. ISO 100, f8.0. (I was in no danger of getting wet!)
Low light for all and exposures tweaked in post using Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo 9 (the only programme I use).
Tripod and cable remote used for all.

Last edited:
I really like number three, the light and colour make it a lovely abstract image(although personally I'd be tempted to crop the bottom off). I also like number four.

Thank you Lee. :)

Lovely set.

1,2,3, and 4 are my faves. :LOL:

Thanks Dale.....much appreciated.

Seriously, everyone, I really do appreciate the comments.

Thanks Mulch. :)

Thanks Bob.
All were taken with a Canon 40D, with a EF 70-200mm F2.8 L at 70mm. ISO 100, f8.0. (I was in no danger of getting wet!)
Low light for all and exposure tweaked in post using Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo 9 (the only programme I use).
Tripod and cable remote used for all.
Cheers Ruth. What shutter speed?
I've been trying some slow shutter speeds, but I think I'm using too long a speed. I saw some images in a book that I liked, and the longest shutter speed was 3 seconds.

Cheers Ruth. What shutter speed?
I've been trying some slow shutter speeds, but I think I'm using too long a speed. I saw some images in a book that I liked, and the longest shutter speed was 3 seconds.

Shutter speeds varied between 0.4s to 1.6s
I have hundreds taken over the course of the week with different weather and light conditions.

"Cracking" set of images Ruth, nothing more to be said.(y)

George.

I tend to think a lot silky water photos have ben done to death now but these are excellent, especially 1 (reminds me of Rothko) and 3 from your first post and the last one too.

You must be well pleased with them.

Dave

#2 is without doubt the stand out photograph. Lots of movement,interest and great light.

Well done.

The third shot does it for me, love the subtleties of the texture and pastel tones. I think the win here is in the middle band of the shot, the bottom distracts from the smooth and calm feeling, similarly the top corners have waves breaking, which breaks the tranquility a bit.
If you've got the resolution to crop it in a bit, I think it would make a really pleasing image.
They're a really good set overall though Ruth, and I think it's a tough sort of shot to pull off well, but I enjoyed looking through these

Some great water shots there. I am particularly impressed with how you have maintained the 'movement' in the water. I am not a fan of water shots which smooth everything out but yours retain the movement nicely.

I tend to think a lot silky water photos have ben done to death now but these are excellent, especially 1 (reminds me of Rothko) and 3 from your first post and the last one too.

You must be well pleased with them.

Dave

Thanks Dave.
It's true, I am quite chuffed with them. :)

The third shot does it for me, love the subtleties of the texture and pastel tones. I think the win here is in the middle band of the shot, the bottom distracts from the smooth and calm feeling, similarly the top corners have waves breaking, which breaks the tranquility a bit.
If you've got the resolution to crop it in a bit, I think it would make a really pleasing image.
They're a really good set overall though Ruth, and I think it's a tough sort of shot to pull off well, but I enjoyed looking through these

Thanks Matt, I appreciate your comments. :)

Some great water shots there. I am particularly impressed with how you have maintained the 'movement' in the water. I am not a fan of water shots which smooth everything out but yours retain the movement nicely.

Thank you Raphael. :)

I really like this set Ruth, they all have a very painterly feel to them.

They would make for cracking wall art either as standalone images or as a Triptych style hanging

I really like this set Ruth, they all have a very painterly feel to them.

They would make for cracking wall art either as standalone images or as a Triptych style hanging

Thanks Stuart.
That painterly feel is what I wanted.

1 & 4 I'd be happy to have on my wall :)

The 5th you added I'd have BIG on my wall :)

The others are just really good lol

Great work

Dave

Wow, thank you Dave, I really appreciate that. :)

A beautiful set. Just about perfect only I'm not as keen on number 2 with the light patches at the top which are slightly distracting, but the rest are top notch. I especially like number 1 for the way it pulls you in

Brilliant collection of images Ruth, such wonderful tones throughout.

Thank you Neil...I'm pleased you like them :)

A beautiful set. Just about perfect only I'm not as keen on number 2 with the light patches at the top which are slightly distracting, but the rest are top notch. I especially like number 1 for the way it pulls you in

Thank you.
You're right about the smaller distracting wave breaks at the top of the second image. I might try to do something about it.

Lovely set of images I like them all, my favourite is 2.

Back