Waterproof Winter Jacket Recommendations

Name
Seba
Edit My Images
Yes
Weather has turned a corner so I'm looking at replacing my dying North Face jacket that I've had for about 6 years now. It's done it's time. Retirement/the bin is calling.

It was one of those 3 in 1 jackets which I like the design of, but new one doesn't have to be this. Would like something with underarms vents, a pocket on the front of the chest, and oddly I want one that has a lower back than the front, so that it covers any gaps when you're sat on your bum.

Anyone got any recommendations on any jackets?

Have a look HERE and see if there's anything you like. There's probably a branch near you so you can try the shortlist on and if you buy a membership card (£5 or so IIRC), you'll get their discount price.

If you like more subtle coloured country clothing that works really well and gives good movement and articulation around the shoulders and arms (think lifting a camera or binoculars up to your eyes without the sleeves ending up half-way down your fore-arms!) then have a look at Country Innovation's jackets. https://www.countryinnovation.com/

They've been designed with birdwatchers in mind, so work well for photographers and videographers too. Owing to the generous (but comfortable) fit around the shoulders and arms I've never found I've needed underarm vents either. Yet they're really nice and warm and windproof, with the facility to zip in a fleece jacket if needed in cold conditions (which they also sell).

It's not cheap stuff but I've found it lasts for years and does its job very well, plus it's very nicely made, really nice quality stuff. The men's jacket sizes tend to be on the generous side, but you can phone them up and speak to a real person (who actually knows what they're talking about!) and they'll advise you on which size to get.

Also, have a look if there are any 'field tested' jackets in your size on special offer (ones used for a photo shoot or briefly lent out to a magazine for review), I bought one a couple of years ago and I literally couldn't tell it apart from a new one, and there was a good saving! Hope this is useful, if not to you then perhaps to someone else instead. (y)

Last edited:
If you like more subtle coloured country clothing that works really well and gives good movement and articulation around the shoulders and arms (think lifting a camera or binoculars up to your eyes without the sleeves ending up half-way down your fore-arms!) then have a look at Country Innovation's jackets. https://www.countryinnovation.com/

They've been designed with birdwatchers in mind, so work well for photographers and videographers too. Owing to the generous (but comfortable) fit around the shoulders and arms I've never found I've needed underarm vents either. Yet they're really nice and warm and windproof, with the facility to zip in a fleece jacket if needed in cold conditions (which they also sell).

It's not cheap stuff but I've found it lasts for years and does its job very well, plus it's very nicely made, really nice quality stuff. The men's jacket sizes tend to be on the generous side, but you can phone them up and speak to a real person (who actually knows what they're talking about!) and they'll advise you on which size to get.

Also, have a look if there are any 'field tested' jackets in your size on special offer (ones used for a photo shoot or briefly lent out to a magazine for review), I bought one a couple of years ago and I literally couldn't tell it apart from a new one, and there was a good saving! Hope this is useful, if not to you then perhaps to someone else instead. (y)

Thanks for this, as was thinking of getting a new winter jacket.

No front opening. Not very handy when ventilation is needed. No inside pockets and need to pull the garment over your head to put it on/take off.

I have used Country Innovation jackets for years. (Two Falcon style and one Innovation style. They are good, but I think the top of the range styles are way over priced. The Falcon is around £165 just now (about £50 too much IMO).

A jacket with a pocket across the chest is unlikely to have a front opening...

No front opening. Not very handy when ventilation is needed. No inside pockets and need to pull the garment over your head to put it on/take off.

I have used Country Innovation jackets for years. (Two Falcon style and one Innovation style. They are good, but I think the top of the range styles are way over priced. The Falcon is around £165 just now (about £50 too much IMO).
The Falcon jacket was discontinued earlier this year, I got a spare one for £95 in the stock clearance sale. :) The 'Innovation' jacket was discontinued about 3 years ago, but mine isn't showing any obvious signs of wear yet, and my original Falcon jacket lasted me about 9 years (several of those being mistreated by me leaving it lying on the back seat of the car between use, as my go-to summer rain shower/thunderstorm jacket, to the extent that it slowly faded in the process) before the internal waterproofing eventually failed and it finally had to go in the bin.

I also have their top-of-the-range Rover jacket made from double-layer Ventile cotton, which I keep for best (walking outdoors rather than working outdoors), and I imagine this jacket will probably outlast me! Unfortunately, you get what you pay for, and prices aren't getting any cheaper as time goes on; the older you get, the more expensive everything seems. However, given that a reasonably satisfying take-away meal for two is now £25 to £30, I think this puts £200 to £300 for a jacket/coat that's going to keep you warm and dry for several years into perspective, whether we like the price or not. Even a roll of 25 bin bags is a couple of quid these days!

Last edited:
I like the nylon breathable jackets that you can get from walking shops they are excellent keep me completely dry
I’ve got a Peter storm one I’ve had for years I go out in all weathers and often lay down on muddy river banks to photograph dragonflies it’s a bit discoloured but it’s still completely waterproof

The Falcon jacket was discontinued earlier this year, I got a spare one for £95 in the stock clearance sale. :) The 'Innovation' jacket was discontinued about 3 years ago, but mine isn't showing any obvious signs of wear yet, and my original Falcon jacket lasted me about 9 years (several of those being mistreated by me leaving it lying on the back seat of the car between use, as my go-to summer rain shower/thunderstorm jacket, to the extent that it slowly faded in the process) before the internal waterproofing eventually failed and it finally had to go in the bin.

I also have their top-of-the-range Rover jacket made from double-layer Ventile cotton, which I keep for best (walking outdoors rather than working outdoors), and I imagine this jacket will probably outlast me! Unfortunately, you get what you pay for, and prices aren't getting any cheaper as time goes on; the older you get, the more expensive everything seems. However, given that a reasonably satisfying take-away meal for two is now £25 to £30, I think this puts £200 to £300 for a jacket/coat that's going to keep you warm and dry for several years into perspective, whether we like the price or not. Even a roll of 25 bin bags is a couple of quid these days!

Birder's Store are still selling them for £165.
It was early in the year that I got my last Falcon (from Country Innovation). Cannot recall what I paid. Just tried to check my account, but my username/password is not being recognised ..... Goodbye CI :(

let us know if you find something.. its the all important long back that i keep falling down on :(

Birder's Store are still selling them for £165.
It was early in the year that I got my last Falcon (from Country Innovation). Cannot recall what I paid. Just tried to check my account, but my username/password is not being recognised ..... Goodbye CI :(
Just looked and I bought my 'spare' Falcon jacket on 17th of January. Have you signed up to their newsletter? You'll get 10% off your order you do (presumably a time limited type voucher?), plus it alerts you to any sale or special offers they have. That's how I found out about the Falcon jacket being on special offer, to clear the last few items they had in stock. ISTR they sold out of men's sizes within a day or so.

They also had a good discount offer on during the Coronavirus lockdown period to cheer people up (and presumably help CI maintain some cashflow while their shop was shut). Unfortunately, I was one of the ones that couldn't get my wages paid by the government, so missed out on a discount priced fleece that I'd got my eye on, due to being skint! :(

I'm pretty fond of Craghoppers for "smart" stuff. They seem to have suspiciously similar tech to Rohan with better styling for less money :) Also, they often sell their kit at *huge* discounts.

I have the longer length version of what they are now calling "Rincon" (though it had another name when I bought it)

I think I paid about 40 quid for it :)

"Only" 8000mm waterproof but that's enough for anything urban. If it's raining harder than that, I have a 20k Kamleika :)

I sometimes look to see what the military are wearing as you know it will be fit for purpose. Snugpak is very well thought of. The FJ6 is a great looking jacket. I’ve got a body warmer and it’s super light and super warm

Last edited:
I have the pre updated version of this https://www.musto.com/en_GB/whisper...r=DG&cgid=mens-coats-jackets-shooting#start=1. Musto stuff is expensive but worth it, well thought through, loads of space and last forever
Gore-Tex is fine until the waterproofing and breathability eventually breaks down. Plus, if you're going to spend that kind of money, for £50 less you could have a double layer 100% cotton Ventile jacket https://www.countryinnovation.com/o...door-country-clothing/rover-II-jacket-ventile , which should last for many years. Ventile has an interesting wartime development history too, and being cotton it avoids the use of plastic products and man-made fibres.

When it comes down to waterproof jackets it's a matter of personal choice, but I've put two quite expensive Gore-Tex jackets in the bin over the years after they stopped being waterproof (despite attempts to revive them with wash-in and spray on waterproofing products), but I doubt my Ventile jacket will end up there until I've actually worn irreparable holes in it. It's down to personal choice but perhaps give the Rover some thought next time you're ready for a new jacket?

Last edited:
Gore-Tex is fine until the waterproofing and breathability eventually breaks down. Plus, if you're going to spend that kind of money, for £50 less you could have a double layer 100% cotton Ventile jacket https://www.countryinnovation.com/o...door-country-clothing/rover-II-jacket-ventile , which should last for many years. Ventile has an interesting wartime development history too, and being cotton it avoids the use of plastic products and man-made fibres.

When it comes down to waterproof jackets it's a matter of personal choice, but I've put two quite expensive Gore-Tex jackets in the bin over the years after they stopped being waterproof (despite attempts to revive them with wash-in and spray on waterproofing products), but I doubt my Ventile jacket will end up there until I've actually worn irreparable holes in it. It's down to personal choice but perhaps give the Rover some thought next time you're ready for a new jacket?

And yet mine has so far lasted 5 years without issue. If you want to comment about fabric there are loads of reasons ( weight, proofing, warmetj) cotton has long being surpassed. The Rover you love doesn’t match my needs

Last edited:
If you want to comment about fabric there are loads of reasons ( weight, proofing, warmetj) cotton has long being surpassed. The Rover you love doesn’t match my needs

I've certainly never thought of my Rover jacket as heavy when wearing it. I'd agree that waxed cotton has long since been surpassed; I never found waxed cotton to be particularly warm, and reproofing it every couple of years was a chore too, then there was the smell. However, Ventile cotton is a totally different thing, and every bit a match for Gore-tex in terms of waterproofing. Some people aren't keen on the way Ventile stiffens a bit if it gets wet, but I don't mind that and prefer it to the rustling and crinkling sound you often get with man-made fibre waterproof jackets. The Rover and the 'non Ventile' lightweight Falcon from CI are virtually silent to wear, which is important to me for part of my work. However, as said, it's down to personal preference, and there's no such thing as the perfect country jacket for everyone. :)

I like waxed cotton for a jacket on a night out
I've still got a couple; a Barbour Durham, a Driza-bone full length coat and a Mountain Horse Jubilee 3 in 1 jacket (which is really heavy!), but the smell puts me off wearing them these days, in case people think its me! I've tried all sorts over the years, but find today's stuff is much improved.

What do people recommend as a waterproof shell which can be worn in the not so cold days? I have a Musto and a Country Innovation, both of which are great but too warm for spring / summer.

Earlier in the year I got a North Face "waterproof" jacket for £160 and it let in water in the first heavy rain shower I was in. The shop took it back and gave me a full refund but now I need something similar.

I've still got a couple; a Barbour Durham, a Driza-bone full length coat and a Mountain Horse Jubilee 3 in 1 jacket (which is really heavy!), but the smell puts me off wearing them these days, in case people think its me! I've tried all sorts over the years, but find today's stuff is much improved.

I've got a Belstaff Trailmaster which looks great, but I'd never want to use it anywhere serious.

What do people recommend as a waterproof shell which can be worn in the not so cold days? I have a Musto and a Country Innovation, both of which are great but too warm for spring / summer.

Earlier in the year I got a North Face "waterproof" jacket for £160 and it let in water in the first heavy rain shower I was in. The shop took it back and gave me a full refund but now I need something similar.

Would something soft-shell work

I just bought this yesterday (fur zipped off as soon as i got home haha)

Its breathable...Its quite light as well.. wore it to a match last night .. i got a size bigger as in winter probably want to wear something thick underneath.. anyway sat on my peli case i easily also sat on end of coat and kept by back warm... from one outing happy wiht it.... :)

Jack Wolfskin - quality
Mine isn’t. I bought it from Blacks a couple of years ago. Originally I had a Peter Storm jacket but the first time it rained the seams leaked like a sieve and a couple of the poppers came off within a few weeks, so I took it back. I swapped it for a 2 in 1 Jack Wolfskin, which is warm but only stayed water resistant for a couple of months. It has needed regular reproofing with Nikwax ever since. Now guess what... the poppers that hold the fleece inner in place have just come off. Too late to take it back now of course. Not cheap either, this is a £200 jacket we’re talking about.

Yes, if properly waterproof...
Soft shells aren’t particularly waterproof. More water resistant. I’ve had numerous waterproof jackets over the years. The one that lasted longest and I still use out gardening etc is a Mountain Hardwear jacket which must be 10 years old now. Just bought a lightweight Rohan jacket which is pretty good too.

Soft shells aren’t particularly waterproof. More water resistant.

Depends what you mean by waterproof. As in nothing is really waterproof....

But,
OMM Kamleika - weighs 250g and is waterproof to 20,000 hydrostatic head - I've run for hours in continuous rain head to toe in Kamleika and was dry at the end.
Paramo Cascada - made of Nikwax Analogy and tested in a rain room to keep you dry for 4 hours of continuous heavy rain
and as I said above, Craghoppers 8k rainproof is good enough for most urban use. I bet @KIPAX will be more than happy with his new jacket even though it probably doesn't come close to 8k waterproofing.

Hardshell is still more durable and in general more waterproof. But unless you are really walking for hours in torrential rain or snow I think softshell suits most uses better.

Back