Way OT: Disposal of Rifle bullets!

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going through the pain of clearing my childhood home of my parents posessions.

My dad seems to have kept 13 souvenirs of WW2 - Rifle bullets! I assume they are for a rifle as they are quite big ~ 7 cm long. 2 clips of 5 and 3 loose ones.

They obviously contain explosive but did not blow up when I shook the cigar tin with them in :)

Anyone know what i should do with them? Take them to the local police station? A bit worried if i just phoned them they would say leave them alone and send someone to blow them up or something stupid :D

I would just take them to the police station and hand them in over the counter, if they want to blow them up you can easily leave without any hassle that way ;)

Steve said:
I would just take them to the police station and hand them in over the counter, if they want to blow them up you can easily leave without any hassle that way ;)

Would agree , worst case is they would have to evacuate the Police station.

Take your camera with you , it would make some funny photos :thumb:

They sound like rounds for the old .303 rifle.

Take them to your local police station and they'll get rid of them for you safely.

As everyone else says - drop them in at your local Police Station, better than risking them falling into the wrong hands.

praxis said:
Sell em on E-Bay!

Why use Ebay - we have our own classified section on this site;) (I am joking BTW - incase someone has serious sense of humour failure)
:thumb:

Keltic Ice Man said:
Might be worth ringing the police station first :). That way it's their problem, just think of the pics of the bomb squad with a cigar tin.

It was thoughts like that which prompted the question :)

If I phone and they over react I'll wish i hadn't.... or walk into the police station and get accused of trying to blow them up :ponders:

Warspite said:
Why use Ebay - we have our own classified section on this site;)

Do you want to make an offer for them? I would consider a swap for an empty film cannister. collection only.

As long as nothing pointy hits the primer on the flat end they'll be fine. The bomb squad won't get called for it either, the police armourer will probably just pull the round out of the casing and empty the contents into a suitable recepticle.

I could respond by asking for pics of the merchandise, but following that route would no doubt land us in exagerated and very serious trouble (knowing my luck) - so I'll politely decline:thumb:

Take them to the police station - they're well used to dealing with this sort of thing. Don't delay though, you can't actually possess this type of ammo without a Firearm Certificate. With them being your dad's and his recent passing there'll be no problems. Whatever you do don't throw them away, even if you empty out the bullet and the powder, the primer (det) is still live. There's no danger unless someone takes a hammer and nail to the primer, but that's just what kids do when they find them!

The rounds will just be placed in a firearms cupboard where operational arms are kept, and a Firearms Dept Officer will pick them up on his rounds and dispose of them. No probs at all .:)

Thanks. Any problems and I'll say you sent me :)

LOL Trust me.... old soldiers pass on and leave houses full of stuff, machine guns, pistols, grenades, mortars... even land mines. Honest. :)

Yes - you should take them to the Police Station with no dramas to worry about. They'll probably just drop them down the nearest drain, but there you go...

...or if you're feeling lucky give you an ASBO, recite some anti-terrorism act rubbish and you'll become someone's bitch quicker than you can say "no, i said I found them in an old cigar box..."

!

It all sounds so easy... take them to a Police station :hissyfit:

Drove to local police station with bullets in the boot. Parking restrictions everywhere lots of touring around to find somewhere to park. In the end gave up and stopped on a single yellow. Took bullets to main entrance - shut...entrance closed for redecoration :banghead:

Drove another 5 miles or more to the next police station. It was open but there were a queue of unsavoury looking characters including one kicking up a fuss because he didn't get his wallet back when they let him out this morning :suspect1:
Anyway I waited 10 minutes and the queue did not move. So I walked in to see what was inside. Lots of glass partioning with door locks controlled remotely.....a long counter top back behind that with one policeman filling in a long form with the current 'customer' . I gave up and came home.
Currently considering dropping them in a river or going back to the police station early before the dodgy types get out of bed :ponders:

The evidence:-
bullet.jpg

bullet2.jpg

Yep - ones on the right are .303 ball ammo for the No4 Enfield Rifle used in WW2.
The thinner ones appear to be Japanese - where did the man serve? I know the Germans used 7.92mm which looks almost identical to the .303 ammo...

He was a sgt in the Queens own reg. and served in India for a while but spent a lot of time in Burma. I guess he saw some bad things in his time as he would never speak a word about his wartime service.

DJW said:
Smash them with a hammer ;)

I'll PM you the address. You bring the hammer and I'll bring the camera and a long lens :thumb:

:hand:

Should go well in the fire on Nov 5th. As kids in the early 50's we found a bunker that had been forgotten - rifles ammo the lot. Made a hell of a mess of a pidgeon but had to stop as the fall out was picking on the railway about 2 miles away. We resealed and I expect it is still there as the area looking on Google maps does not look as if it has been touched. I don't know how we didn't kill ourselves with no health and safety to look after us!

praxis said:
Sell em on E-Bay!

Instead of that, I'd be on ebay looking for a No4 Enfield Rifle...

...why should someone else have all the fun ;) :innocent:

Fangman said:
Should go well in the fire on Nov 5th. As kids in the early 50's we found a bunker that had been forgotten - rifles ammo the lot. Made a hell of a mess of a pidgeon but had to stop as the fall out was picking on the railway about 2 miles away. We resealed and I expect it is still there as the area looking on Google maps does not look as if it has been touched. I don't know how we didn't kill ourselves with no health and safety to look after us!

As kids we found a similar place underneath the old site of the what was then "western command" we had a great time exploring the 130 odd little rooms that were under there. We found some real cool stuff and were quite disheartened when we emerged out into the daylight to be greeted by the fuzz. Within hours the army were there clearing it all away.

Shame really, a MKII Bren gun might have improved my chances of getting a 1Ds MkII

This place was a smaller version of that - A local government bolt-hole or the like. All sorts of goodies! Styrrup pumps - brass - water for the squirting of converted into good mortars with home made charges! Be on the terrorist charges these days just for a bit of weedkiller!

Went back to police station at 8.50 this morning. One person being seen at the desk, no one waiting - result i thought....wrong.
At 9.25 the 'customer' left... and so did the officer on the desk. Sometime after 9.30 I got seen. Hmm wait here I will have to check on this.... 10 minutes later she reappears and says they have to be properly packaged and then a full crime report done :(
So I sit there while she wraps each bullet in tissue paper (wearing her snazzy blue rubber gloves) and places each one in its own plastic container. Whilst this was going on I commented how hard it was to do the right thing and that I should have thrown them into the middle of a pond! reply was 'no comment' said in a way that implied agreement.
Fortunately she just wrote down my details and will do the report later instead of me sitting through the one fingered typing I had witnessed whilst waiting. She said last year it would have been a simple form now they have to do a full crime report.
So if you want to report something or hand something in be prepared for an uphill struggle :banghead:

I know a man in Baghdad!!!!!

if this is the way things have gone in this country its a surprise anything gets done and the police actually do anything! oh wait, they spend their time filling in forms rather the actual policing...

We have 'amnesty' boxes on all camps for the disposal of any rounds or pyro 'accidentally' brought back off Ops or Exercises. It happens....

Arkady said:
We have 'amnesty' boxes on all camps for the disposal of any rounds or pyro 'accidentally' brought back off Ops or Exercises. It happens....

I have no live rounds or empty cases in my possesion s'ah except this 200 round belt of 7.62 ammo I have down my pants

:D

digitalfailure said:
I have no live rounds or empty cases in my possesion s'ah except this 200 round belt of 7.62 ammo I have down my pants

:D
or a couple of thunderflash's for fun later. ;)

hey, go sell it on an antiques road show. :)

Back