Beginner Way out of comfort zone

Edit My Images
Yes
FA51546B-0824-4F9C-B03C-B1151AED2F99.jpeg 1723EAE1-7AF1-4208-AA20-7680F785B6CC.jpeg F73D644E-04EB-466F-9798-8225C0E6247C.jpeg CB737AFE-8166-44DA-80E8-B35C93C8AC2D.jpeg 7B37617F-FE07-4723-9F80-34610938A168.jpeg

went out and stumbled across an old creepy lodge/stately home type thing.

I’ve never ever tried this sort of photography and have no idea what I was doing.

To be honest, at the tine I enjoyed it but coming home I’ve looked and I don’t know how to edit or if there is even any point, would you guys give me your opinion if any of these would be worth the time ??

Not done anything at all, straight from camera

Thanks

Last edited:
.Isn't it ace when you come across somewhere or something unexpectedly that offers potential photo opportunities?

Out of the five shots, there is for me just one that is worthy of keeping…....the third frame with the car face on.

How you process it is up to you, I wouldn't do much more than a sharpening and perhaps slight adjustment of curves.
The framing is ok as it is imo as the verticals are vertical and it presently shows the environment that the vehicle is located.

This doesn't mean that the other four shots are for the bin. It's all about personal choice and what pleases you.

It's quite hard to offer crit on just thumbnail images like this - any chance you could embed them full size?

What sort of photography do you normally do Scott?

I think 3 & 4 would look better with a darker/underexposed look. You may have to return on more of a darker/stormy day though.....

Thanks, I really wanted to go back at night with a flash, but even during the day it was a little freaky, maybe I’ll try to man up one day.

.Isn't it ace when you come across somewhere or something unexpectedly that offers potential photo opportunities?

Out of the five shots, there is for me just one that is worthy of keeping…....the third frame with the car face on.

How you process it is up to you, I wouldn't do much more than a sharpening and perhaps slight adjustment of curves.
The framing is ok as it is imo as the verticals are vertical and it presently shows the environment that the vehicle is located.

This doesn't mean that the other four shots are for the bin. It's all about personal choice and what pleases you.

Try them in black and white

Certainly is, went inside and took a few as well, but got scared :D, I’ll post a few of them.

It's quite hard to offer crit on just thumbnail images like this - any chance you could embed them full size?

What sort of photography do you normally do Scott?

If I click on them, they enlarge, does this not work for you ? ,,,,, normally shoot action sports, motor cross, football etc.

5E0743A4-6B28-4433-976E-BFBBC1A29D6E.jpeg 73B0F7E2-41E0-49B9-8B59-63902C94AB19.jpeg 1FEF5E03-7539-4B3F-A69A-EB277EF6478E.jpeg

Few more from inside

Attachments

• C74565AE-9B45-45ED-AA24-8F42F479D77B.jpeg
    C74565AE-9B45-45ED-AA24-8F42F479D77B.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
It looks a fascinating find.

If I click on them, they enlarge,

Yes, if I click they enlarge, but I was hoping to offer proper crit rather than a quick 'first one needs framing properly, ditto number 2 etc.' and it's difficult to do it like this. TBH it's a point of ettiquette - small images are a PITA to click & review, click & review.

Really, all the usual guide lines about any kind of photograpy apply: think about which part of the image is the subject, consider how the surroundings frame it, think about how you can use the available light to illustrate the scene, try to make sure key parts are in focus, see if you can tell a story through the shot.

In the first set, 2 and 3 are the strongest and number 2 of the second set.

I'm holding off because I'd rather one of the good urbex guys came & commented.

Last edited:
Try them in black and white

A very quick conversion of your shot to b&w with some sharpening and a bit of vignetting: ( If you wish me to remove it then just say so!)

F73D644E-04EB-466F-9798-8225C0E6247C.jpeg (2).jpg

I'd be going back to the location and taking more time over the shots with different composures and settings.;)

I think a tighter crop on the car one might work (30 second go with the lo res version from here)

F73D644E-04EB-466F-9798-8225C0E6247C-4.jpg

It looks a fascinating find.

Yes, if I click they enlarge, but I was hoping to offer proper crit rather than a quick 'first one needs framing properly, ditto number 2 etc.' and it's difficult to do it like this. TBH it's a point of ettiquette - small images are a PITA to click & review, click & review.

Really, all the usual guide lines about any kind of photograpy apply: think about which part of the image is the subject, consider how the surroundings frame it, think about how you can use the available light to illustrate the scene, try to make sure key parts are in focus, see if you can tell a story through the shot.

In the first set, 2 and 3 are the strongest and number 2 of the second set.

I'm holding off because I'd rather one of the good urbex guys came & commented.

Fully understand and appreciate your response, I wasn’t really looking for critique more, I see nothing in them but others around me do and I was more asking does anyone see anything interesting, and are they worth spending anytime on, I love the old house I found but very meh about the shots I got but that could be just me. I’ve also edited my posts to show the pictures full size (y)

Last edited:
Fully understand and appreciate your response, I want really looking for critique more I see nothing in them but others around me do and I was more asking does anyone see anything interesting, and are they worth spending anytime on, I love the old house I found but very meh about the shots I got but that could be just me. I’ve also edited my posts to show the pictures full size (y)

Ah, now I understand. And thanks for full-size images BTW.

The question I'd ask is what do you find interesting about the house? If you can encapsulate that in an image then I think your time will be well spent.

For me they suffer from lack of subject. The only one that works is the one with the car (that a couple of people have tried capable edits on) The version by @Asha in particular works well as the vignette draws the eye through the clutter to the subject.

Two (or three) things to think about when you're doing this. What are you taking a picture of and why? And how do you frame it so that it doesn't get lost in the background? You can see that @NewBeetle has tried to reframe it with a crop. In my mind it doesn't work as well as Asha's version, but his quote:

I'd be going back to the location and taking more time over the shots with different composures

is basically a +1 from me.

They're rather inconsistent. Take the stairs one - it seems that you couldn't decide where to place the focus (not that there's a single option, but it's definitely in the wrong place here).

Exposure's another issue - blown highlights do no-one any favours.

My personal best might be the washing machines (?) for a good, coherent bit of tonal drama and good framing.

So yes, worth working on, and yes, worth a revisit too, to explore more options.

Fascinating location, I think you could have a field day there. I would say you need to take control of the shutter speed or ISO as these are over-exposed, have you got a tripod? If so use it, take your time and have a play with settings (aperture priority mode, try f8-11, ISO100 and use exposure compensation to adjust the exposure if it's too dark or bright. Return on a day when the sky is overcast and angry, however creepy it may be. Shots 3 and 4 certainly have potential, Asha's edit shows what can be done. I wouldn't crop in too much as suggested by NewBeetle as it loses breathing room, it needs to use those interesting surroundings.

Thank you all, happy to listen to all advise, please note I have 30 or so Pictures, this was just a random sample not really any 'best' just a few, i really like the idea of being there and taking pics, but have no interest when i look at them at home, so i think i was hoping to find some inspiration from you kind people.
the thought of the pictures/places really appeals to me but the reality of the photos just seem to bore me.

the thought of the pictures/places really appeals to me but the reality of the photos just seem to bore me.

If you find these places exciting then you need to find a way to get that excitement into your images. Applying some of the fundamentals of composition, exposure and focussing will help considerably: it *feels like* you just wandered in there and pointed a camera in the vague direction of various parts of the buildings. No offence intended.

If you find these places exciting then you need to find a way to get that excitement into your images. Applying some of the fundamentals of composition, exposure and focussing will help considerably: it *feels like* you just wandered in there and pointed a camera in the vague direction of various parts of the buildings. No offence intended.
No offence at all, your pretty much spot on with your assumption, it’s a really cool place, apart from the car I didn’t really see anything that, that’s the annoying thing, as I know it’s an epic place and the right person would get something special, I want to be/see that.

OK, stuff I'd have done differently (note, an ultra-wide lens of <20mm is useful for urbex interiors):

1) - Stepped back to get the whole of the steps in & kept it level, metering off the brickwork/exposed stone for a reasonable exposure, then pulled up the shadows in post.
2) - Gone portrait to get the height of the doorway to frame the scene in with the car lurking at the bottom, metering off something with a bright mid tone.
3) - Works pretty well, but the car is a little central. Might try slightly dropping exposure.
4) - The composition isn't too bad, though stepping back would frame the house with branches & moving forward would make it a more major part of the frame. There's an interesting structure to the left that might offer compositional possibilities if included too. The image is at least a stop, possibly 2 stops over-exposed, and should have been metered off the exposed stone at the top of the building.
5) - Compositionally the opening is a bit too central, and it would be better to use lead lines from either left or right for a stronger, more arresting image. Exposure is a couple of stops over again.

The last image of the second set had potential, but the camera needed to be level and about the same height as the vinegar bottle, plus there's bad flare on the lens & the scene is again a little over-exposed. I'd focus about 1/3 of the way back into the room & try to find a focal length that would cover floor to ceiling of the back wall with an aperture that would leave everything acceptably sharp.

Hope that's useful.

Do you have a photography friend that you could return with? I find that I'm always a bit braver if I'm not on my own. Maybe you could bounce ideas off each other and spend a bit more time there at dusk?

Do you have a photography friend that you could return with? I find that I'm always a bit braver if I'm not on my own. Maybe you could bounce ideas off each other and spend a bit more time there at dusk?
Hi, no, I don’t, wish I did in This situation sometimes, but no, going to pop back when I have some story clouds to play with

Hi, no, I don’t, wish I did in This situation sometimes, but no, going to pop back when I have some story clouds to play with

That's a shame- if I lived near, this is exactly the sort of place I love to explore :(

Back